• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Let me put it this way: with 1.0 they should have put sedatives in the game box, because everything you did took fucking ages. Something as simple as crafting took minutes to set up and handle.

With ARR, the pace is better by far. By which I mean, you actually get shit done, not spend hundreds of hours waiting after dialog boxes.

oh wow! glad they went ahead and changed everything. i'm really enjoying this game so far.

WolvenOne

Well, thats all for me tonight. First night I really had the oppertunity to pour a lot of continious time and effort into the game, since Early Access started.

I think I'll take a small break from story quests tomorrow to get a few things taken care of. First and foremost, i've GOT to unlock mounts. Having to run around on foot, or Port everywhere, JUST to avoid teleport fees is really starting to get on my nerves. Whats more, until you have a Mount, it's really hard to fully take advantage of Fates. I'd like to get into one of those large GAF groups and take on a NM Fate, but seeing as those tend to be over by the time I arrive its not really practical.

So, I'll be going to East Shroud to mine Seals until I unlock the Chocobo license. Those Fates are mostly below my level, but there are a lot of them fairly close together, so thats a fairly good place to rack up Seals until you have a Chocobo License.

Then, its time to set up a Retainer, and maybe level my GLD a bit so I can unlock Warrior.

Then I can pick up on the Story Quests again.

Caerith

Laura Palmer @ Ultros. Please invite me.

I've heard this game referred to as "the opposite of TOR," with the intent of the criticism "at least TOR's servers were accessible." I think it's true for a different reason: TOR has good voice acting and crap for gameplay, while XIV has good gameplay and seriously the worst voice acting I have ever heard (and yes I have played indie games where the VAs were paid with pizza and beer and include the main programmer).

WolvenOne

In MMOs there is so much running that I prefer controller. Yeah you can use autorun toggle but it's not the same. It is one area where the loose DS3 sticks are really nice. I'm actually considering getting one to use with this game.

Yeah, thats the thing. Keyboards may be better for Keying tons of items and commands, but they just BITE for motion. I love running around with a controller and Parkouring my way across Eorzea.

.....somebody really needs to rip the assets from this game and turn that into a video.

chrono01

Unfortunately the day I actually manage to create my character and log in to play...the GAF FC is full. :(

Oh well, I will continue to monitor the status for a [hopeful] opening somewhere.

WolvenOne

Laura Palmer @ Ultros. Please invite me.

I've heard this game referred to as "the opposite of TOR," with the intent of the criticism "at least TOR's servers were accessible." I think it's true for a different reason: TOR has good voice acting and crap for gameplay, while XIV has good gameplay and seriously the worst voice acting I have ever heard (and yes I have played indie games where the VAs were paid with pizza and beer and include the main programmer).

Yeah, its kinda weird, Square's usually pretty decent with that sort of thing, but some of the english VA's seems to REALLY just, phone it in.

The Japanese VA's are pretty good in comparison, though I've certainly seen better. Course, most that game just uses text, thankfully. Though, I imagine having so few scenes voiced actually made life more difficult for the voice actors. No time to really adapt to their roles and all that.

Kenai

Such as? It is probably stuff that I wish was still in it lol

Hmm...off the top of my head...

No deleveling.

>Far less linear exp progression. Spam FATEs, run dungeons, level other classes, do leves, do the Hunting Log...whatever you want really will work.

>A much better crafting system. There's a reason they are considered "jobs" and they can end up being a lot of work but it feels very rewarding and fun.

>Distinct combat styles between classes. In FFXI most of the combat "differences" were simply stat allocations or aesthetics. But you can't play any base class like any other really. PUG has to combo for their self buffs. ARC has to keep it's distance to make full use of its own buffs, THM is heavy nuking while ARC spreads DOTs around, ect. I could easly spend a full post on the intricacies of the few classes I've had time with. I can also tell they made the Soul system so that most base classes are likely to get 2/3 options for specialize in like ACN does now, which will be nice.

> Duty Finder, similar to WoW's dungeon finder. lets you "seek" a party while doing other things and helps prevent "lol*insertclasshere* invites never!" for something basic like story/level progression.

>Lots of quick way to travel around the world after you've earned them vs needing Teleport-whatever or a Warp 2. Chocoports are also basically WoW "flight paths".

>Class balance in general feels way better, no class feels broken or dysfunctional (although there's things to polish for sure).

>Class story and dialogue from the getgo, instead of "oh here's a crappy thing from someone you never met" at 30/40

There's probably more but eh, tired.

Cmagus

Just finished the story. I started yesterday at 8am lol I haven't done a game play through like that in a long time. As much as I disliked the filler the story in this is amazing and in my opinion up there with some of the best in the series. I gotta hand it to this team they really pulled it off with some of the best dungeons and boss fight I've seen in an mmo period. I can finally work on my relic but first I need sleep.

Some screens:

iL2x0MREkQVX9.png

ibx7FTUIxFus7N.png

igXmicfBvCddr.png

iLOxftWhbAha.png

ibqVwTxEoKZDKS.png

edgefusion

Had a blast yesterday as a pug, looking forward to finishing work so I can get back on! Playing as Ravishan Goldhawk, was Alastor Goldhawk in the beta.

Vashetti

Banned
Spent ages in the Temple of Qarn dungeon last night.

I only knew the tactics for the first boss and I had to instruct my party what to do after we wiped on it once.

Then we repeatedly wiped on the final boss because we didn't know what to do.

I know people will likely say 'noobs', but the game gives you no hint whatsoever in these fights. How can we learn tactics when the game gives you no help at all?

This is going to become more and more of a problem as the dungeons become more complex.

KuroNeeko

Just curious, but can you change classes immediately as a new character or do you have to progress to level 10 first? I've noticed that your choice in class determines where you start so if I want to start as an Arcanist I have to go to Limsa Lominsa. Does that mean I need to trek over to Gridania if I want to earn the ability to switch to Lancer?

I could probably figure this out just by playing, but I'm still stuck at work and am trying to decide what job I want to start as.

user1337

Had a blast yesterday as a pug, looking forward to finishing work so I can get back on! Playing as Ravishan Goldhawk, was Alastor Goldhawk in the beta.

Pug is a lot of fun for me. They dont have the same amount of damage per hit..but once you level up a bit and start stcking greased lightnig and skill speed..they just very fast at dishing out damage. By the time one move is over your ready for the next!

I just unlocked my monk a little while back and i'm loving the AOE attack it has at the very start on some of the lower level mobs :).

Just trying to read up on and figure out the best 3 stance combo cycles to use through various levels.

Just curious, but can you change classes immediately as a new character or do you have to progress to level 10 first? I've noticed that your choice in class determines where you start so if I want to start as an Arcanist I have to go to Limsa Lominsa. Does that mean I need to trek over to Gridania if I want to earn the ability to switch to Lancer?

I could probably figure this out just by playing, but I'm still stuck at work and am trying to decide what job I want to start as.

Yes you need to get to level 10 with one class first. After that, you can change between classes by equipping the respective weapons. In the early stages you may need to wait till level 15 before the airship becomes available for you to go to the other guilds and apply to join. What I havent tried yet is to just buy a weapon and equip it before applying to a guild. You could try that if you want.

Robin64

Yes, you need to finish your starting class level 10 quest before you can switch to others. If you start as Arcanist, your only other combat choice at 10 will be the Marauder, the other class in Limsa Lominsa. Once you've done the level 15 story quest, you get an airship pass and can go get the others.

KuroNeeko

Yes, you need to finish your starting class level 10 quest before you can switch to others. If you start as Arcanist, your only other combat choice at 10 will be the Marauder, the other class in Limsa Lominsa. Once you've done the level 15 story quest, you get an airship pass and can go get the others.

Hmm............. I'd much rather start in Gridania as it reminds of Windurst. Oh well.

Choices, choices.

Thanks for the reply!

desverger

You can also just run to the other cities. At least if you didn't start in LL.

I started in Gridania and ran south to Ul'dah to unlock the Pugilist around lvl 11. This was when the instance queues were borked and I couldn't progress past my lvl 5 story quest :p

edit: Obviously after you've reached lvl 10 in your starting combat class.

akaoni

Banned
So, when do you get the veteran stuff? I believe people have them? I've set up a 90 day sub but I guess I don't pay until my free time is up (in about 12 days because S-E hates 1.0 owners).

They don't bill you until your days expire, and you can order 180 days max at a time through their system. So you won't get billed until your time is up. I did confirm for myself that adding game-time cards will give you the rewards right away, as I was able to get the 30&60 days rewards already. I ordered a code via email from a website;
http://www.gamecards.eu

They process transactions through Paypal even for a non-Paypal account transaction using your credit card so it's fairly safe on that front, only thing is on your first order you have to reply to the email when you pay for the item with a phone number and when it's okay to phone you as a 1 time fraud prevention measure. They have a separate listing depending on region (NA/EU) so it might be important.. I don't have an NA account myself so I can't comment.

Or you can wait....

Robin64

This game was awful in 1.0

This video just shows how slow the combat is and how generally shitty the game looks. If it wasn't for the video title, I'd probably think that it's XI at a glance.

Riposte

This game was awful in 1.0

This video just shows how slow the combat is and how generally shitty the game looks. If it wasn't for the video title, I'd probably think that it's XI at a glance.

Funny enough, the combat only looked like that for a few months. The game saw two major revisions, with the second being a very different game.

I'm imagining a offline FF game where you play as Minfilia in a more active role and that's your extended party.

Reknoc

They don't bill you until your days expire, and you can order 180 days max at a time through their system. So you won't get billed until your time is up. I did confirm for myself that adding game-time cards will give you the rewards right away, as I was able to get the 30&60 days rewards already. I ordered a code via email from a website;
http://www.gamecards.eu

They process transactions through Paypal even for a non-Paypal account transaction using your credit card so it's fairly safe on that front, only thing is on your first order you have to reply to the email when you pay for the item with a phone number and when it's okay to phone you as a 1 time fraud prevention measure. They have a separate listing depending on region (NA/EU) so it might be important.. I don't have an NA account myself so I can't comment.

Or you can wait....

Okay, thanks. I might look into getting some time cards then, if I can't have my Coerl I'll at least get my flying eye thing lol

Well, I barely have time to play now and my friend is leveling quite fast, so I'm left alone because my friend wants to experience the content asap.

I'm considering quitting (haven't registered the key yet) since I'll have to solo quest and grind alone, which was what I hoped to avoid by playing with my friend.

Is there something that can be done so I don't feel left in the dust because I can't play that much?

The Gaffers who are leveling fast are doing it by chasing FATEs around zones in a large group. You don't need any specific person for that, just a bunch of Gaffers or even just a bunch of random people. Fortunately there are now >512 of us, all at different levels, all in different timezones, all online day and night. As of this moment at 3:07 am Pacific, there are 119 FC members online.

Isaccard

The Gaffers who are leveling fast are doing it by chasing FATEs around zones in a large group. You don't need any specific person for that, just a bunch of Gaffers or even just a bunch of random people. Fortunately there are now >512 of us, all at different levels, all in different timezones, all online day and night. As of this moment at 3:07 am Pacific, there are 119 FC members online.

Alot of EU GAF rolled on an NA server. GAF servers should've been split in two

Mendrox

German GAF here.

Had three awesome partys yesterday which led up to the ifrit fight. I love the NeoGAF FC, such nice people which know how to play - that's something that makes this game even better than all the other MMOs.

Hit level 20 yesterday and I have to say that I am already addicted, I sit here at work and worry about this evening that I won't get enough sleep for tomorrow. :-( The cutscenes, music, graphics, people, gameplay... everything is really good. This is finally the MMORPG that gives me the same vibes as WoW.

syoaran

Got round to doing Titan and hitting level 35, really enjoyed that fight. First one where the team wiped and despite a terrible lancer being too slow to move out of the knockback - we managed to pull it off after 10 tries.

Final stage music 4tw

Reknoc

Alot of EU GAF rolled on an NA server. GAF servers should've been split in two

Why? Chances of one of the guilds becomes a ghost guild would probably be pretty high. The FC is full up now but I doubt there'll even be a need for an overflow LS in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom