• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I mostly went in blind, so never really knew Marauder was a tank class. It's not like there was a message about it or anything on the character creation screen.

Questing has been fine, it hasn't been "slow" like tank classes in other MMOs tend to be.

But now I've hit level 16 and I need to do the first dungeon quest for the storyline. Apparently I can't queue as DPS, even if I promise to never use Overpower. :(

So here I go, about to tank a freaking dungeon on a PS3 controller.. This is not going to end well at all.

Yeah, they definitely could have done a better job at making it apparent that marauders are tanks. I knew going in, but a lot of people rolled it not knowing what they are getting into.

FLEABttn

Banned
So here I go, about to tank a freaking dungeon on a PS3 controller.. This is not going to end well at all.

I've tanked 12 instances as a gladiator with the PS3 controller and found it surprisingly workable on (on the low end at least) and nobody made any comments or questions about being a PS3 user. We'll see come end game of course, probably stick to my PC at that point.

I couldn't post this in the official forums at the FFXIV lodestone site, but am trying to get some traction on this. If enough people experiencing the same issue make a stink about it, hopefully SE will grant us a small window of free transfers.

I blogged about my situation at Lodestone.
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3305969/blog/28413/

A friend that could post in the forums started a thread linking to my blog entry
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/72638-Limited-Time-Free-Transfers

If anyone is having these same issues, showing your support would be greatly appreciated. This way no one is stuck in limbo or cough up more money just to play with friends as originally intended.

I beat Halati today buy what sucks is that I died during the firemane mini boss so I didn't get credit for killing him in my Hunting log for my Grand Company. No I have to grind even more for my chocobo mount

daveo42

Banned
is there one at 16?

last one i actually did was 14, beat up some soldier dudes, and some evil mage lookin' guy.

Class quests are every 5 levels (unlocks at 5, 10, 15, etc) from the guildmaster in the class' main city. If you're curious, just head back to Ul'dah and check to see if there is a new quest or not.

I beat Halati today buy what sucks is that I died during the firemane mini boss so I didn't get credit for killing him in my Hunting log for my Grand Company. No I have to grind even more for my chocobo mount

Just run around and do a bunch of FATEs. I was able to get my chocobo after doing this for about an hour or two.

Robin64

is there one at 16?

last one i actually did was 14, beat up some soldier dudes, and some evil mage lookin' guy.

Remember, story quests and class quests are different.

The class quests are every five levels, but the story quests are a continous thing.

Was the mage you beat up the one that summoned a gargoyle? If so you should head back to the city and look around for a green story quest icon in the inn area or the tower at the north.

Remember, story quests and class quests are different.

The class quests are every five levels, but the story quests are a continous thing.

Was the mage you beat up the one that summoned a gargoyle? If so you should head back to the city and look around for a green story quest icon in the inn area or the tower at the north.

ah yeah, story quests. just wasn't sure because everyone has different starting zones right? Are there different 'story quests'?

teiresias

Does TAB-cycling not work for anyone else with their weapon sheathed? I can TAB through enemies fine when my weapon is out, but I can't TAB through anything when my weapon is sheathed. I do have the targeting filter turned on for when my weapon is sheathed (to avoid enemies and the mass of player PCs in cities), but I don't see why that would ruin things. I'm having to resort to picking things with the mouse outside of combat.

Also, if I TAB-select an enemy target and initiate battle by using an Action, does that automatically start auto-attack or do I have to explicitly start auto-attack? If it's the latter I really wish Auto-attack had it's own discrete keybinding (unless I'm just missing it in the settings - possible since there are so many).

Maaseru

Banned
Couldn't play yesterday. Spent half an hour on 2 separete occasion trying to log in, with no positive results :/

Guess I'm definetly going to try the script. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. Maybe because since the X360 controller was plugged in and it felt nice using it I kept pressing A on it.

JChalmers

Neo Member
Am quite interested in this (though between my Backlog and upcoming GTAV not sure whether I'll have enough time) was thinking of getting it for the PS3 but not sure.

Got a few questions though;

Does anyone have it for Playstation, how does it handle?

Is there enough in the game to keep you occupied?

Whats this cross-platform malarky?

Could I get it for both PC and PS3 and play the same character on each copy with the same account?

See it's also out on PS4 so would I be able to transfer to that when it comes out?

Cheers guys.

Robin64

Okay!

Does anyone have it for Playstation, how does it handle? A little framey, but controls beautifully and is generally really good

Is there enough in the game to keep you occupied? Far, far too much.. Probably never be done, personally.

Whats this cross-platform malarky? Same servers as our PC brothers

Could I get it for both PC and PS3 and play the same character on each copy with the same account? Yep!

See it's also out on PS4 so would I be able to transfer to that when it comes out? Yep!

Xux

What level does gladiator get its first damage reduction move, and does anyone know if it can be used as a marauder? Tanking is ok, but I really feel like I need more tools to reduce incoming damage. Too used to active mitigation I guess.
None of GLA's damage reduction abilities can be used cross class.

frequency

Am quite interested in this (though between my Backlog and upcoming GTAV not sure whether I'll have enough time) was thinking of getting it for the PS3 but not sure.

Surprisingly well. Of course PC is way better (frame rate, graphical fidelity, etc) but I can't complain about the PS3 version (I have played both). It's absolutely playable. The only thing that really stands out is other people and monsters have simpler animation and it looks kind of weird.

Yes

PC and PS3 play together.

Could I get it for both PC and PS3 and play the same character on each copy with the same account?
Yes. But not at the same time. And you need to buy a version for each platform you want to play on.

See it's also out on PS4 so would I be able to transfer to that when it comes out?
If you buy the PS4 version, you will be able to link it to your existing account and play with the same character on there.

Cheers guys.
And gals.

JChalmers

Neo Member
Cheers for the swfit reply :D

Think I'll see how plush the bank balance is on payday tomorrow and then either order from Amazon UK (guessing cheapest for PS3 version) for delivery on Monday or head into town after work and see whats available.

Cheers guys.

PS3 versions is.... playable. A lot of choppy animation and frame rate issues at the moment.

Yes, plenty to keep anyone occupied.

You can play with PS3 and PC players. Soon PS4 players.

Yes.

Yes.

Plan on getting it for the ps4 myself. Loggin out now cause I got work. I actually thought about going idle but My ps3 is set to turn of in 4 hours of activity and can't turn it off with out leaving the game.

never understood mmos on consoles. for me 90% of the fun of mmos is because... well its mostly just a chatroom with stuff to do.

I know ps3 supports keyboard, but that just sounds clunky on a sofa.

antitrop

never understood mmos on consoles. for me 90% of the fun of mmos is because... well its mostly just a chatroom with stuff to do.

And I've never understood people who use MMOs as giant chat rooms.

Final Fantasy XIV's gameplay seems pretty good, so far. When I've been able to get on.

Robin64

I know ps3 supports keyboard, but that just sounds clunky on a sofa.

Because it plays like a dream. I don't use keyboard to chat even on the PC anyway, it's all about Skype.

And I've never understood people who use MMOs as giant chat rooms.

Final Fantasy XIV's gameplay seems pretty good, so far. When I've been able to get on.

chatting with people keeps you entertained, otherwise you are just rolling your face across your number keys against 90% of the stuff you kill anyways.

I'm one of those silent players, because typing on the PS3 controller is such a pain in the butt. One day I'll get that keyboard controller add-on. Maybe after payday if I'm feeling flush, but probably when I can find something to trade in against it.

Is there a PS3 equivalent of this?
LubMwA5.jpg

Berordn

I'm one of those silent players, because typing on the PS3 controller is such a pain in the butt. One day I'll get that keyboard controller add-on. Maybe after payday if I'm feeling flush, but probably when I can find something to trade in against it.

You can always just use a standard USB keyboard. Basic wireless ones don't go for that much nowadays.

Question. I noticed in some story quests that if you're over leveled, it won't allow you to use higher level skills because of your level sync.

I haven't run Halatai yet, and am currently level 43. If I was to run it, would my newer (better) skills be locked out like in the story missions?

Salaadin

Wait what....there's a Japanese voice option!?

Yeah, somewhere in the settings, you can change to JP dialogue.

Question. I noticed in some story quests that if you're over leveled, it won't allow you to use higher level skills because of your level sync.

I haven't run Halatai yet, and am currently level 43. If I was to run it, would my newer (better) skills be locked out like in the story missions?

Yeah. If the dungeon is lvl capped, you only have access to whatever skills fit under that cap. (ex: lvl 25 capped dungeon locks you out of your lvl 26+ skills)

anways if you guys could help the cause and support the thread in the official ffxiv forum I linked... that'd be awesome. It's not a shameless plug to my stupid blog post. It really is the only thing hindering experience for me and some of my friends with the game.

I'm off to work.

Xux

I feel like I need to take more screenshots:
Obligatory Burning Wall shot:
sbkh7u0.jpg

Partying with Ravidrath, getting my tank on:
zSHhQhF.jpg

Stupid Haukke Manor glitch where the ahriman won't open the darn door :(:
mQOw6BE.jpg

Logging out in Wineport after unlocking Brayflox' Longstop:
fNSN2O9.jpg

the lack of really much of any voiced stuff kinda sucks :X. SWTOR spoiled me.

its also comes out at random times too lol.

lack of voiced stuff + super tiny dialogue boxes and tiny font (on 1440p). i pretty much have zero interest in any of the story bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom