• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryst

As a level 32 White Mage, I never use Cleric Stance in parties. I almost never cast attack spells either, because usually I need that GCD to get off a heal or a dispel, though sometimes I get those well equipped tanks that sustain damage quite nicely and are able to hold on all the hate, so I can take the time to cast an Aero or a Thunder here and there, and even some Stone 2.
Mostly though I found more problems than anything else doing something other than healing, so I try to keep it at that when in a group.

You shouldn't need to ask the tank or someone else to grab the hate off you, the tank should do it as soon as the mob starts running for the healer (or anyone else, for that matter), but if he doesn't and no one tries to grab it off you, simply ask him to take it off you. Also as a stupid suggestion, I'd advice to run toward the group and not away from the group in those cases.

Can't speak as a healer, but as a 35 WAR, when running pugs (I guess that term will just be confusing in this game now, :S) the healers don't know me or trust me enough to start DPS. They usually keep me topped off even when I'm not in any danger. When running with my WHM friend, he casts more damage spells than heals, but only because he's familiar with MRD/WAR and knows that the health buffer gives him plenty of time to top me back up with a Cure II here and there.

Interestingly enough, I've noticed WHM generate quite a bit of threat/hate, moreso than DPS classes at times. Maybe with randoms, they spam heals so often that the threat seems like a spike versus spread out over time. I always feel bad when I'm inattentive and let 1 mob out of a group of 3 or 4 run loose at the healer. 'spose I should mash that overpower key more, :S

I'm so glad I got this game before digital sales stopped. This is my first mmo since I was a snotty middle schooler. I played a couple of hours last night and it was super fun! I'm in JP thinking about making a character on a JP server, anyone playing on one? Have some advice?

chrono01

In comes the regret of logging out a couple hours ago and not sitting idle somewhere. I cannot log in which doesn't surprise me. :(

I'll try again in a few hours when things hopefully lessen somewhat.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I hope this game doesn't follow the usual cycle of MMO launches.

Servers are maxed. Company adds servers. 60% of the population leaves after free months is over. Company left with too many servers as most of them are ghost towns.

From a Customer Service perspective you ensure you have more than enough to accommodate all your users. What is happening right now, is leaving a really bad picture of how they manage thing in the eyes of consumers.

No, from a customer service and a business perspective that would be a HORRIBLE thing to do. Too many servers will ruin you - each server is extremely expensive to maintain every month, if you have extra servers at launch, you are going to pay for those extra servers for the lifetime of the game, even when their population has gotten low and the gameplay on the server is suffering. Unless you piss everybody off by forcing them to switch servers, splitting everyone up from their guildmates or just random people they party with now and then.

And what is happening now, has happened with EVERY big MMO. Every single one has had login issues the first week. It may leave a really bad picture with a few people, but the number of people who would cancel over this issue is a piddling amount in the big picture.

tl/dr edit: what tetsuo said :)

sky

This game has such a delicate presentation.... the visual style, music, sounds, UI... feels very crisp and "high class", haha. Gooooood stuff!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
K. I take back what I said about crafting. It isn't shit. It's just... average/alright. Gathering still fucking sucks though.

Mastamind

I hope they don't go all SWTOR and add like 50 servers than half are low pop and tough to find groups.

They dont need many servers, they need a working fucking queue system. People wouldnt go afk for 8-10 hours while sleep/work/school if they knew they could get back in.

Been spamming log on for about 2h now.

Vestal

No, from a customer service and a business perspective that would be a HORRIBLE thing to do. Too many servers will ruin you - each server is extremely expensive to maintain every month, if you have extra servers at launch, you are going to pay for those extra servers for the lifetime of the game, even when their population has gotten low and the gameplay on the server is suffering. Unless you piss everybody off by forcing them to switch servers, splitting everyone up from their guildmates or just random people they party with now and then.

And what is happening now, has happened with EVERY big MMO. Every single one has had login issues the first week. It may leave a really bad picture with a few people, but the number of people who would cancel over this issue is a piddling amount in the big picture.

tl/dr edit: what tetsuo said :)
Really a bad business move from a Customer service perspective? In what world is what is happening currently with the servers good customer service?!?!?!

There were a hundred things they could have done to alleviate this issue. Examples below.

1. Setup a real Queue system
2. Have more servers per world
3. Add more worlds.
4. Rent provisional servers to accommodate launch with option to purchase.

BULLSHIT at the bolded. Last two MMO launches I have been a part off both in Beta and release(SWTOR and GW2) neither of which I had this many problems trying to connect to the freaking game. Both of them implemented this fucking novel idea called a QUEUE.

We are not asking for SE to reinvent the fucking wheel, we are asking for a simple system that has been around now for years.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
K. I take back what I said about crafting. It isn't shit. It's just... average/alright. Gathering still fucking sucks though.

Gathering is still a lot better than most games because your points cant be ninja'd, its not a random mess and for the most part fairly easy to skill up / find locations due to it literally telling you where everything is.

Duty finder is across worlds.

That and you get higher chance of getting stuck with certain folk depending on your games language setting, which can be set from the main menu before logging into the world itself.

Parakeetman

apologies folks, dumbass me double posted again.

see this is what happens when i dont have my morning coffee...

kayos90

Gathering is still a lot better than most games because your points cant be ninja'd, its not a random mess and for the most part fairly easy to skill up / find locations due to it literally telling you where everything is.

That and you get higher chance of getting stuck with certain folk depending on your games language setting, which can be set from the main menu before logging into the world itself.

Basically All MMOs tell you where everything is. The problem with gathering for me in ARR is that you can only see where you can gather from when you have the job equipped making it annoying compared to its contemporaries that allow you to see where you can gather from for all things at all times. =/

chrono01

I remember waiting for more than hour to log in during Wrath of the Lich King's launch [that was the last expansion I purchased, so I cannot comment on the more recent one]. I didn't mind, though, since I could go around/do other things. The current queue system for a Realm Reborn, though? Nope! If I want to play I need to basically sit there and log in every few seconds for a chance. Manually. No doing anything else. I think that's what's most frustrating for me.

The game really is amazing, though. It's a shame that actually logging in and playing it, though, is such a negative [and stressful] experience.

Parakeetman

Basically All MMOs tell you where everything is. The problem with gathering for me in ARR is that you can only see where you can gather from when you have the job equipped making it annoying to its contemporaries that allow you to see where you can gather from for all things at all times. =/

No they leave markers on the map then its up to you from there to find it. It doesnt give you a location finder pointing you in the right direction or out right telling you that there is nothing in the zone, nor does it give exact location names for where you can find stuff.

Seriously with how easy they made it to switch back and forth and how your journal tells you all the locations of where you can find stuff I dont see what your issues are. From there it just comes down to your own memory.

Eusis

They can't possibly have the nerve to charge anyone for their first server transfer after this fiasco.
They really should have at least a one week grace period, if not out of the goodness of their hearts then at least for the sake of making servers stable sooner. Last thing we need is the servers being miserable for everyone because they have to be misers.

nikos

Anyone else's game crash when alt/tabbing in or out? Happens to be randomly. Now I get to enjoy 1017 for a while.

hamchan

I know its frustrating, but they are giving us free time and a huge upgrade of servers next week. Should've been earlier but it is coming.

We're getting free time?

EDIT: Oh just found the post from Yoshi P. He seems pretty open about it all and if we do get time extensions then no harm done I suppose.

I like that he pretty much said that 1.0 was so crap that he didn't expect such a huge response for 2.0.

kayos90

No they leave markers on the map then its up to you from there to find it. It doesnt give you a location finder pointing you in the right direction or out right telling you that there is nothing in the zone, nor does it give exact location names for where you can find stuff.

Seriously with how easy they made it to switch back and forth and how your journal tells you all the locations of where you can find stuff I dont see what your issues are. From there it just comes down to your own memory.

I will concede that the location names for finding stuff is extremely convenient. I will give it that.

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member
As a level 32 White Mage, I never use Cleric Stance in parties. I almost never cast attack spells either, because usually I need that GCD to get off a heal or a dispel, though sometimes I get those well equipped tanks that sustain damage quite nicely and are able to hold on all the hate, so I can take the time to cast an Aero or a Thunder here and there, and even some Stone 2.
Mostly though I found more problems than anything else doing something other than healing, so I try to keep it at that when in a group.

You shouldn't need to ask the tank or someone else to grab the hate off you, the tank should do it as soon as the mob starts running for the healer (or anyone else, for that matter), but if he doesn't and no one tries to grab it off you, simply ask him to take it off you. Also as a stupid suggestion, I'd advice to run toward the group and not away from the group in those cases.

I've barely touched Cleric Stance so far (level 20) in dungeons. It seems like fights are either over trivially fast anyway, or the damage output from the mobs is high enough that I'm not comfortable spending the super-long GCD on a nuke.

As for drawing aggro, try just announcing "on me" in party chat, and drag your attacker over to your tank so he can see it and pick it up without goofing up positioning for the DPS. If you feel like being really fancy, you can use the target markers (I think the menu is called "Signs" in the lower right button array) to mark your attacker too.

Thank you for the insight guys. I will try to use the signs and make a macro for 'Targets On Me'. Is there somewhere I could go at lvl 16 to get better exp? Or am I doing better staying in dungeons? I'll grab Thunder tonight after work.

TheContact

Whelp more login errors =( I didn't get my hopes up though

But they said on the 27th that in 3 days they'd have new servers? Hoping by tomorrow it's fixed

Vestal

You know the more I think about it, the more it makes me believe that as far as server infrastructure there is incompetence involved.

1. AFK people staying on a server forever. I remember games as far back as EQ having a system in place to kick people out due to inactivity. This is a basic function of any server environment infrastructure, not just for gaming but for thousands of different implementations of a Client/server relation.

2. Queue System: They have a queue system, however its not really a queue since someone who is # 232 on the list can go from that to in game in seconds, and it doesn't really work at all.

3. Full servers: Were do I begin. First they could have LOCKED character creation on servers for individual accounts instead of across the board. 2ndly they should have done this once they reached the 5kish threshold.(Say 6k unique accounts per server)

4. 5000 players per server. I find this a bit hard to swallow. Unless they did not design the server infrastructure with flexibility in mind, this should not be an issue. I mean the game itself is artificially broken up into zones, which you can basically assign a server for each. Hell you could have a back up pool of servers to go in and share the load with any server currently experiencing stress.(OMG THE INFINITE POWER OF THE CLOUD)

Just got done with my first run of manor, damn that dungeon is cool, very resident evil with all the rooms and non-linear layout. Last boss gave our group a run for their money, forced us to actually communicate and plan our usage of limit breaks. Loving it. now just half a level to go to unlock monk.

dont know if i broke the games scripting or what... i can't seem to progress story after Duty, honor, country.

see no quests in ul'dah.

quicksand person has no quest.

daebo

Heh, put on conspiracy hat... I was playing... sound goes completely out (on ps3). No music, no sound effects, nothing. So, like an idiot, I log out and TRY to log back in to take care of the sound... I now hear music.... just the character selection music :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Where do I get the Maelstrom quests in La Noesca again? I'm trying to get this chocobo license but they really don't give you much info about it.

I hope this game doesn't follow the usual cycle of MMO launches.

Servers are maxed. Company adds servers. 60% of the population leaves after free months is over. Company left with too many servers as most of them are ghost towns.

If they do it smart and not add a ton of servers. As many MMOs have done wrong like SWTOR did where they added a ton of extra server. Add a few new servers at a time.

Varna

Pretty sad yesterday. I just wanted to to check out the redesign I was working on for my character in-game so I tried to make a new character. NA/EU servers completely full and I can't do a thing. Check the JP side... same.

This has gotta be a really frustrating experience for anyone wanting to play.

fuuuuck. guide says momodi has the next quest.

ffxiv_08292013_205631.png

fuck everything.

now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom