• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavien

Guess the only way we'll know if it worked is on the 24th... or on the 27th when mogstation gets launched.... lol

You dont see how a class throwing down an AoE circle that reduces all damage taken in it by 90% for 15 seconds every 30 seconds, a class that gives damage absorption bubbles on heals equal to their heals,a class that removes 15% STR,INT,MND,DEX from any target, and has a pet that gives spell and skill moves 30% haste is a support class?

Actually its 10% on Sacred Soil, reduces to 90% of damage taken.

sacredsoilz1ukp.png

I haven't had a chance to try out Arcanist yet so maybe someone can explain this for me.

I'm looking at the abilities for Arcanist and it seems like you can gain stacks of Aetherflow. The thing I'm confused about is, what is it used for? I understand that certain abilities require Aetherflow to be active but going by the tooltip it doesn't seem like they actually COST Aetherflow.

So does stacking Aetherflow really serve no specific purpose or are the tooltips a bit misleading and the abilities actually require you to spend a stack of Aetherflow?

Xilium

As long as it's not a stupid tank like in FFXI.

My heart sank when I found out that Ninja was used for tanking in that game. I wanted a high level monk and a high level ninja so bad when I first picked it up.

Hopefully when they introduce a new tank, they'll do something really unique. I've been waiting for an MMO to introduce a mage tank. Attacks with spells, wears cloth, uses magic to supplement the fact that, well, he's a mage.

I'd really like to play a tank like that.

I believe Rift will be introducing one in their next expansion (They already have 5 different types of tanks). I will say that that game has some interesting spins on the traditional class roles that other games could learn from (they have 36 classes so they had to do some unique things to differentiate them).

You dont see how a class throwing down an AoE circle that reduces all damage taken in it by 90% for 15 seconds every 30 seconds, a class that gives damage absorption bubbles on heals equal to their heals,a class that removes 15% STR,INT,MND,DEX from any target, and has a pet that gives spell and skill moves 30% haste is a support class?

Actually, it reduces damage by 10%. The way the tooltip is worded is so weird, but it says you only receive 90% damage done while in the circle. xD Reducing damage by 90% would be way too OP every 30s. lol

I haven't had a chance to try out Arcanist yet so maybe someone can explain this for me.

I'm looking at the abilities for Arcanist and it seems like you can gain stacks of Aetherflow. The thing I'm confused about is, what is it used for? I understand that certain abilities require Aetherflow to be active but going by the tooltip it doesn't seem like they actually COST Aetherflow.

So does stacking Aetherflow really serve no specific purpose or are the tooltips a bit misleading and the abilities actually require you to spend a stack of Aetherflow?

Certain spells/abilities "cost" Aetherflow. So if you have 3 stacks and use an ability (like Energy Drain), you lose 1 stack and thus have 2 stacks left.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Actually its 10% on Sacred Soil, reduces to 90% of damage taken.

Ah you are right :p I read that totally wrong. But yeah XD still same point
Actually, it reduces damage by 10%. The way the tooltip is worded is so weird, but it says you only receive 90% damage while in the circle. xD 90% would be way too OP every 30s.
Hell yeah it would be, I was worried they were being stupid about it. Glad I was the stupid one in this case :D

Mr. Fix

A couple questions:

Does the game have towns with a high cap on the amount of players? If so, how would this work on the ps3/4 version?

Are there any major differences between the pc and home console versions?

And if there are expansions in the future, would those be exclusive to pc? I completely new to mmos on home consoles.

Berordn

Sounds like a healer toolkit to me.

Valnen

Almost sounds like a discipline priest.

Kyoufu

And if there are expansions in the future, would those be exclusive to pc? I completely new to mmos on home consoles.

Nope console versions will get all the PC content in the future.

Looking forward to Yoshida saying "PS3 limitations" in a few years.

BooJoh

A couple questions:

Does the game have towns with a high cap on the amount of players? If so, how would this work on the ps3/4 version?

Are there any major differences between the pc and home console versions?

Console players play on the same servers as PC players. Other than performance issues (PS3 will run better than a low-end PC but will run worse and look terrible compared to a high end PC) they're the same game.

I didn't notice how it handled high populations on PS3 as I spent most of my beta time on PC.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sounds like a healer toolkit to me.
Healer/Support

There will never be a pure support class it doesn't work in MMO's with the design this game has. It's always gonna fall in line of DPS/Support, Healer/Support, Tank/Support

Bard is still DPS/Support because of their songs. Look at what the other dps do for their entire party compared to that.

In WoW Shamans were always dps/support or healer/support, they did their role while giving buffs and helpful things to their raid/party but they were always considered a support class and were brought along for that reason.

rezn0r

And this is becoming a major problem for me - maybe you too Reveirg - I'm a legacy account member that will be playing this game on both the PC and the PS3. I own both copies of the game but I only pre-ordered a PS3 version.

Here's the problem I have after entering the 18-digit code and getting the 12-digit code to download the PS3 early access client: I have no way of checking my account to see if I have this:

My account at http://na.square-enix.com/en/account shows one game, PS3 ARR, and does not list any of the pre-order bonuses or any of my PC ARR, 1.0CE, Onion Helm, etc.

I need some help :(

same exact situation here, crossing fingers we didn't get screwed out of some items due to this crap. basically pre-ordered the PS3 version just for the items, would've gotten it at some point, but I won't be initially playing it on the PS3...

Ianan

I'm really worried about this game supporting the PS3 due to the inevitable "Can't do this due to limitations on the PS3" reasons. Kinda wish they just went for the PS4/PC to avoid anything like this. Its bound to happen eventually.

Pachinko

Hey guys, last weekend I was noticing some slight performance issues in the beta that I figured would be remedied once crossfire support was added to the game. Searching around on the internet tonight I found a work around until FF14 gets a proper profile.

"So here is how you enable crossfire:
1. Open CCC (Make sure it's the latest of course - 13.8)
2. Go under "Gaming" and open up "3D Application Settings"
3. Click "Add ..."
4. Search and find "ffxiv.exe" in your benchmark/game folder and select it (You will have to do this to the main exe during launch as well if they don't update it by then)
5. Scroll down and under "AMD CrossfireX" change the "AMD CrossfireX Mode" to "Use AMD pre-defined profile"
6. Search for "swtor.exe" (Comes up fast when you just type "Sw") ***(You don't have to have played / currently own the game to select the option, it's there by default.)***
7. Click save
8. ENJOY! :D

NOTE!!!! - This doesn't work in windowed mode. This is because crossfire itself doesn't work in windowed mode in any game, so test it in full screen for best results. :D"
This courtesy someone named Krozjin at ffivrealm.com

I can verify that it works , just tried out this exact method and my paltry 6800 or so on the benchmark became almost 10,800. There was some screen tearing but it ran MUCH smoother than without crossfire. This was at 1080P / Max and if that seems low to some it may be due to my age old 5870's finally showing their age :p (although really, from doing research it seems the only reason to buy a better card is if I want to game at a higher res then that and I can't at the moment)

wrongway

Are people still getting error 3 on preorder site?

Didn't encounter any errors when I did it earlier. I've yet to receive the email copy of my 20-digit code though, so you might want to screenshot or copy your code as a text file just for sake of record keeping.

Bard and Scholar

So... after reading that. Following that mentality we can safely call WHM a support too then? Lets go down the line:

Scholar provides: 10% damage reduction, damage absorption on heal, can reduce a target's STR, INT, MND, and DEX by 15%, and has a pet that provides spell/skill speed boost. Oh and they have access to protect. Let's look at WHM now;

WHM provides: damage absorption, can reduce a target's STR, INT, MND and DEX by 15%, regen effect upon heal, flat magic damage reduction (shell trait), protect, and the ability to sleep mobs.

Their both just healers, plan and simple.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Nope WHM is healer, SCH is Healer/Support :p

I think your MMO terms are a bit behind :lol The fairy's party short term buffs are what pushes it to support hybrid more than anything. That's a support based skill, same for the Bards songs.

There will never be a pure support class in this game.

Noi

And this is becoming a major problem for me - maybe you too Reveirg - I'm a legacy account member that will be playing this game on both the PC and the PS3. I own both copies of the game but I only pre-ordered a PS3 version.

Here's the problem I have after entering the 18-digit code and getting the 12-digit code to download the PS3 early access client: I have no way of checking my account to see if I have this:

My account at http://na.square-enix.com/en/account shows one game, PS3 ARR, and does not list any of the pre-order bonuses or any of my PC ARR, 1.0CE, Onion Helm, etc.

I need some help :(

I'm in the exact same situation, but I wouldn't worry too much (just yet). The "Early Access" status is tied to your PSN account instead, and I had my 1.0 CE items (and Legacy status) when I played the beta on PS3 during Phases 3 and 4. I'm a little wary about the pre-order items, but the single early access code should apply for those as well.

9565133609_0cd72c27db.jpg

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured but the tooltips weren't all that specific. Looking forward to trying Arcanist in the next couple weeks.

No problem~

I had fun with it during the open beta. It reminds me a lot of Warlock from WoW if you know what that class is like. But Arcanist has its own little quirks. I'm mainly interested in Scholar, but I'll give Summoner a go while leveling.

Nope WHM is healer, SCH is Healer/Support :p

I think your MMO terms are a bit behind :lol

I think you should educate me then! Tell me what's the difference between WHM's support abilities and SCH's support abilities (one that arguably provides more when you take additional abilities into mind), and why one can be classified as support and the other only a healer?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think you should educate me then! Tell me what's the difference between WHM's support abilities and SCH's support abilities, and why one can be classified as support and the other only a healer?

I said it's a Healer/Support hybrid not a support... and I already did.

Classes that tend to give out big party wide buffs over the course of a fight that dramatically improve combat tend to get labeled as support. The only supportish skill WHM has is stone skin

mr stroke

Went ahead and pre ordered since Amazon is $29+10 credit plus the early head start. Don't know if ill care for it but what the hell.

I am assuming this is now a completely different game than the train wreck that was released previously?

Berordn

Healer/Support

There will never be a pure support class it doesn't work in MMO's with the design this game has. It's always gonna fall in line of DPS/Support, Healer/Support, Tank/Support

Bard is still DPS/Support because of their songs. Look at what the other dps do for their entire party compared to that.

In WoW Shamans were always dps/support or healer/support, they did their role while giving buffs and helpful things to their raid/party but they were always considered a support class and were brought along for that reason.

If you classify it like that, every class in WoW is partially support. Warriors have Rallying Cry, Mages have Time Warp and buffs, Warlock pets bring a variety of utility, Rogues have raidwide damage reduction...

I don't think bringing cooldowns to the party really classifies as support in this style of MMO, since everybody does it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If you classify it like that, every class in WoW is partially support. Warriors have Rallying Cry, Mages have Time Warp and buffs, Warlock pets bring a variety of utility, Rogues have raidwide damage reduction...

I don't think bringing cooldowns to the party really classifies as support in this style of MMO, since everybody does it.

Are you telling me Shamans are not a support class in wow? :lol Every class in wow has some raid utlity and such yeah the game is designed like that and the character specs are really fleshed out now so it's not too shocking. But Shamans are still the main support hybrid of the game, though some other classes do a good job. I dont know if shadow priest still give mana and such but I'd consider them support for that reason even though they had really good damage on top of it.

SCH's skills have a more support flavor to them than WHM as well. :p WHM is your standard MMO healer.

Cmagus

Ordered a physical copy for PS3 just now. I figured why not considering once this comes out that will pretty much be all I will play. Gonna be nice having cross platform with legacy discount.

Jomjom

Banned
By the way, I just noticed you can also look at it by going to your transaction history via the SEN webstore. I also bought it on PSN and this is what it says:
dWU1pg.png

Ah thanks for that info. But it looks like no way to see an itemized list of promotional items attached to our account like the PC players?

Mr. Fix

Nope console versions will get all the PC content in the future.

Looking forward to Yoshida saying "PS3 limitations" in a few years.

Console players play on the same servers as PC players. Other than performance issues (PS3 will run better than a low-end PC but will run worse and look terrible compared to a high end PC) they're the same game.

I didn't notice how it handled high populations on PS3 as I spent most of my beta time on PC.

Sounds good. I'll have to wait for impressions on the ps3 release, or else I'd probably have to wait for the ps4 version.

Berordn

Are you telling me Shamans are not a support class in wow? :lol Every class in wow has some raid utlity and such yeah the game is designed like that and the character specs are really fleshed out now so it's not too shocking. But Shamans are still the main support hybrid of the game, though some other classes do a good job. I dont know if shadow priest still give mana and such but I'd consider them support for that reason even though they had really good damage on top of it.

Yeah, I am. Shaman haven't brought unique buffs for years. They haven't really been modeled to be support since TBC, they actually did focused Damage/Healing since Wrath. The only unique thing they brought at that point was Heroism which three classes have now.

chrono01

There's another code? :eek: I pre ordered PS3 version and its a code from GameStop. Says for early access but its 18 characters
Oh sorry I didn't know you pre-ordered the PS3 version.

From what I've read/heard, you go to:

http://preorder.na.finalfantasyxiv.com/us

and enter your 18-digit code. Select the PS3 as you version and you should get a 12-digit code upon completion that you enter on the PSN.

Perhaps someone who also pre-ordered the PS3 version and completed the code entry can verify?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom