• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

letterboxart

Neo Member
Does anyone have any suggestions for changing the keymapping on the keyboard for better access to actions on the hotbar? The contortions I have to do hit Ctl+ and Alt+ combos are unwieldy in hectic scenarios, and I've more than once accidentally hit the Windows key by accident and minimized the game in the middle of a dungeon boss battle.

I also don't have a keyboard with a numpad on it (tenkeyless) so that's causing issues I suppose. I'm thinking of moving all the hotbar keys to the bottom letter row and changing the modifiers to ctl and shift (if it will let me use shift).

Or I just invest in a MMO mouse like the Logitech G600 and move the mappings to that, or a nostromo or an orbweaver or something.
If you have a 5 button mouse, you can map buttons 3,4,5 to Ctrl,Alt,Shift. Ctrl-1 becomes M4-1, etc. It's a little awkward, but it's easier than contorting your keyboard hand.

Edit: If you're looking at the G600, the G700 is also worth a look. It has a ton (12?) of buttons and uses different parts of multiple fingers (instead of just the thumb). You rarely ever hit the wrong button. Also, it's wireless.

How does this play on the PS3? Do you need a keyboard etc aswell?
I really shouldnt go near this game.. 11 stole too many hours of my life but man....so tempting..

Yep. There's a program where you can map each individual button to a key. For me, I just went with 0 through =, which is what the game and mouse software defaults to. So I didn't have to do anything.

There is a third mouse click button on the far right where people seem to be mistakenly pressing it. I personally do not have this problem..it really depends on how you hold your mice. I set that button to hit Ctrl, and in combination with the side buttons, pressing them together makes it so I have access to another row of skills. Really nice feature.

Thanks! Gonna be picking it up today. Also, I hope it doesn't make my pinky cramp after just one hour of playing like my current cheap Logitech mouse does -_-

Maybe it's the way I'm holding the mouse, I dunno.

teiresias

It has been... doesn't seem that way, but it is. Thankfully, many of XII's staff worked on XIV so we can see where the resemblance lies.

While I love FFXIV - outside the horrendous infrastructure management obviously - I really wish they'd put this team on a single-player FF game in this style again (and I mean mainly art style and world building, not necessarily gameplay style). The focus on sci-fi and modern settings in the single-player games is starting to be a turn off.

I'm also saddened that now that we have technology that can really do justice to making a game that renders in an artstyle similar to Amano's actual style that we haven't gotten a game with actual character designs by him (though he may not be interested in doing such a thing anymore outside the promotional art he does). I just think it would be really cool to get a FF with very stylized graphics to basically by Amano art come to life rather than filtered through 8 and 16-bit sprites.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I really shouldnt go near this game.. 11 stole too many hours of my life but man....so tempting..

I've been playing on both PC and PS3 and the PS3 version runs surprisingly well. You can use a controller or keyboard/mouse, but to be honest I really like the controller setup. I think they did a really good job for something that is traditionally menu-heavy.

Keyboard would be really helpful since navigating through the PS3 UI can be a chore with selecting through chat windows, prompts, quest list, etc. Other than that, the pad controls are great on PS3.

daveo42

Banned

I'm currently having the same issues with this game as I did with XI. Spending all of my spare time on it and not the pile of other games that I have. You will most likely get addicted to it and spend way too much time playing it...but I guarantee that you'll enjoy it.

Not sure about how it plays on PS3, but I've heard really good things about the controller setup for this game. Keyboard would be a good idea for chatting, or you could always get the PS3 keyboard attachment for the DS3 and use that instead.

I've been playing on both PC and PS3 and the PS3 version runs surprisingly well. You can use a controller or keyboard/mouse, but to be honest I really like the controller setup. I think they did a really good job for something that is traditionally menu-heavy.

Keyboard would be really helpful since navigating through the PS3 UI can be a chore with selecting through chat windows, prompts, quest list, etc. Other than that, the pad controls are great on PS3.

Intresting... hmmmm. Cant imagine there is any kind of free trail at the moment.
Might go watch some gameplay/trailers and think about it.

Salaadin

Or I just invest in a MMO mouse like the Logitech G600 and move the mappings to that, or a nostromo or an orbweaver or something.

Im really thinking about doing this.

I have a Logitech keyboard with 12 additional macro keys that I can customize to anything so I MIGHT set that up for the Ctrl and Alt combos but I really think an MMO mouse would be better too.

I also see a lot of gameboards like this:
81hTgnd037L._SL1500_.jpg

But really have no idea how useful they are. Anyone have any experience with them?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
While I love FFXIV - outside the horrendous infrastructure management obviously - I really wish they'd put this team on a single-player FF game in this style again (and I mean mainly art style and world building, not necessarily gameplay style). The focus on sci-fi and modern settings in the single-player games is starting to be a turn off.

I'm also saddened that now that we have technology that can really do justice to making a game that renders in an artstyle similar to Amano's actual style that we haven't gotten a game with actual character designs by him (though he may not be interested in doing such a thing anymore outside the promotional art he does). I just think it would be really cool to get a FF with very stylized graphics to basically by Amano art come to life rather than filtered through 8 and 16-bit sprites.

It would be nice. I mean from a story/character/world perspective XIV is a lot more appealing than the mess we got in FFXIII. I appreciate that XIV makes use of intelligent writing and story-telling - helped by the superior script and localization no doubt - as opposed to a lot of the anime cliche drivel we tend to get in the single player titles.

Ferr986

I know that feel...

I appreciate that XIV makes use of intelligent writing and story-telling - helped by the superior script and localization no doubt - as opposed to a lot of the anime cliche drivel we tend to get in the single player titles

Story is kinda meh right now for me (compared to XI wich had an awesome story, though XIV story is still way better than XIII IMO) but the writing is soo good. XIV 1.0. writting was already very good.

Zidy

I opened up the patcher today and entered in my password. Now it's doing the welcome thing and asking me for a registration code. Anyone else getting this? I have no idea what to do.

antitrop

It would be nice. I mean from a story/character/world perspective XIV is a lot more appealing than the mess we got in FFXIII. I appreciate that XIV makes use of intelligent writing and story-telling - helped by the superior script and localization no doubt - as opposed to a lot of the anime cliche drivel we tend to get in the single player titles.
The fact that an MMO has better story-telling and characters than a main Final Fantasy game is bullshit. I will never forgive Final Fantasy XIII. Hell, even the storytelling in XII was pretty bad (but I like that game way more than XIII).

I've seen some people say some pretty crazy stuff about how good the story is in XIV, I'm intrigued. Weird I have to play an MMO to see it, but whatever.

I'm currently having the same issues with this game as I did with XI. Spending all of my spare time on it and not the pile of other games that I have. You will most likely get addicted to it and spend way too much time playing it...but I guarantee that you'll enjoy it.

I know that feel...

Good to know Im not the only one. I had racked up an absurd amount of hours on my galka. I forced myself to sell my account to break the habit as that was the only ture way to kill the habit. I made like $600 doing it so it wasnt too bad.

Then the card game kept trying to bring me back.. oh god.

I heard that Titan was challenging and many people wiped a lot... i went there with expectantions as PLD but we defeated him with no trouble, hell it was even easier than Ifrit for me, how disgusting!

The thing is, Titan is incredibly easy as a tank. You really don't have to do anything at all except stand in one spot and hold aggro. The rest of the party, however, has a lot more to deal with like avoiding that move that is basically instant-death and dealing with the rocks. And then later, those extra damaging circles to avoid. I had fun healing it as a Scholar, but I could understand how it would be underwhelming for a tank.

My party wiped 3 times on it before beating, and one of those was actually my fault. Kind of embarrassing, but I made the mistake of trying to type "rock" quickly when the rock spawned on someone, and he did that instant kill attack on me which drove me off the edge of the platform, and I was the healer, so... Oops. xD

Mairu

I heard that Titan was challenging and many people wiped a lot... i went there with expectantions as PLD but we defeated him with no trouble, hell it was even easier than Ifrit for me, how disgusting!

Titan is easy if you get lucky enough to get placed with a group of people who have eyes, a brain, and know how to use them. It's incredibly frustrating if you end up with people who you watch get hit endlessly by his attacks.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The fact that an MMO has better story-telling and characters than a main Final Fantasy game is bullshit. I will never forgive Final Fantasy XIII. Hell, even the storytelling in XII was pretty bad (but I like that game way more than XIII).

I've seen some people say some pretty crazy stuff about how good the story is in XIV, I'm intrigued. Weird I have to play an MMO to see it, but whatever.

It helps that they've put competent writers on XIV. I've been devoting most of my time to the story so far and despite it being an MMO - yes, it really is that good. People just need to look past the typical MMO = bad somehow stigma.

You filled out the form with the terms you have to accept, correct?
If so, hold onto your ticket number and call their support line to escalate the ticket. I called 2 days ago and it was resolved later that night. However, be warned that there is a long hold time! Took 2 hours and 15 mins before I got a CSR.

So am I going to have to put on the serious face when I get through to a CSR to escalate? Or was it a calm and civil conversation. I'll need to be in a certain mindset for the former if that's the case.

Aeana

That was already the case with FF11, though. People just didn't give it a shot.

Hey ARR gaf.

I have a question, because I can't play until 11th September and have a friend levelling up a character.

When FFXIV shut down I had a character on Lindblum, it's a legacy character and I want to play this character when I come back. I haven't played any of the betas since the servers were shut down.

What legacy server will my character be on when I finally get chance to log in? And will I still be able to edit my character's details when I log in?

I need to know the server, or if I'm able to pick which legacy server I can put my character on so my friend doesn't waste his time levelling a character on a server I can't get onto.

antitrop

It helps that they've put competent writers on XIV. I've been devoting most of my time to the story so far and despite it being an MMO - yes, it really is that good. People just need to look past the typical MMO = bad somehow stigma.
Well, I won't lie, I was enjoying the story, characters, and fully voiced cutscenes of SWTOR for the short time I played that.

antitrop

That was already the case with FF11, though. People just didn't give it a shot.
I'll take your word for it. I wasn't overly impressed with what Square did with X, XII, and XIII narratively.

Probably wouldn't be all that hard for XI to have the best story out of those 4. I grew up in the NES/SNES era of Final Fantasy, I have different tastes than most of the modern fans.

Well, X was okay, but it's too lovey-dovey for me. It's not a bad story, it's just not for me. I think the narrative presentation of XII and XIII are objectively bad, though.

teiresias

I think what makes this even more amazing is that the FFXI and FFXIV writers don't have the advantage the single-player writers do of having an actual set character they can play with. I mean, it really has no reason to be anything other than a mess, because they have to write it for this everyman kind of person that doesn't really have much personality of their own since it has to be generic. It all has to be built on the backs of well developed supporting characters around your own PC.

The fact that the single-player games fail at this when they can actually dictate who the lead character is - and the fact that they rarely come up with anyone compelling for that role - is just stupid.

linkent

Need info on this main quest.
Level 46 Fool Me Twice

I did this quest 3x.
First time, There is no cutscene after the guard/magitek died. So I log out and back(need to wait 1hour for the Queue)
2nd time, The cutsence come out, yet the quest is not completed.
3rd time, There is no cutscene again, I dont want to log out, so i will let the 20min run out.

So while waiting i make this post..
Anyone know what i should do? T_T

Ferr986

Good to know Im not the only one. I had racked up an absurd amount of hours on my galka. I forced myself to sell my account to break the habit as that was the only ture way to kill the habit. I made like $600 doing it so it wasnt too bad.

Then the card game kept trying to bring me back.. oh god.

Yeah I played like 4 years non-stop.

I left FFXI when I had enough of the elitism bullshit of the endgame players and the scheduled events that took 3-4 hours (between that and RL work, It felt like I had no life). It was pretty bad...

Probably wouldn't be all that hard for XI to have the best story out of those 4.

I played all of them. FFXI had by far the best story IMO.

Well, X was okay, but it's too lovey-dovey for me. It's not a bad story, it's just not for me. I think the narrative presentation of XII and XIII are objectively bad, though.

XI wasnt about juvenile love story. Its more focused about the story of the world of Vanadiel, and its mithology..

EDIT: Im talking of FFXI till CoP. Didnt finish WoTG

Heysoos

Does anybody know the customer support phone number? Can't find it on their damn website, probably hidden as hell. They still haven't fixed my registration issue.

Salaadin

Im intrigued by the story now after hearing all the good things some of you are saying.
I think its interesting so far but a lot of the in between stuff (emoting NPCs, dumping water on unruly customers, etc) is bogging it down for me atm.

antitrop

Im intrigued by the story now after hearing all the good things some of you are saying.
I think its interesting so far but a lot of the in between stuff (emoting NPCs, dumping water on unruly customers, etc) is bogging it down for me atm.
Ya, I don't know shit about the story because I'm only Level 10 and can't get on to play the game when I have free time.

Heh.

Pace is a bit off, but definetly ramps up starting lvl 20. Most of the plots or subplots are fairly simple, but that's not necesarily a bad thing, they have that classic FF feel of more classic and direct approach to storyline, which I'm enjoying so far.

Writing is also top notch.

Yep. There's a program where you can map each individual button to a key. For me, I just went with 0 through =, which is what the game and mouse software defaults to. So I didn't have to do anything.

There is a third mouse click button on the far right where people seem to be mistakenly pressing it. I personally do not have this problem..it really depends on how you hold your mice. I set that button to hit Ctrl, and in combination with the side buttons, pressing them together makes it so I have access to another row of skills. Really nice feature.

Now that you mention it, having the modifier on that third mouse button could be really handy!

So who do I talk to for a linkshell invite? I just started out on Ultros. Name is Ukiki Kalamari.

Check second post of the OT or the site at neogaf.guildwork.com.

TheFatOne

Does anyone have a website out with all the crafting recipes? I want to figure out what I should gather/buy in order to level a bunch of different crafts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom