• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tash

having horrible lag issues and getting error 9000 for the first time.
Must be the servers since my connection is as good as ever..

And now the NA/EU servers don't show

daveo42

Banned
I can't really put my finger on it, but I feel like I'm not fully enjoying each area of the game. Maybe it's zigzagging all over the place and sidequests not having long chains in one area. I also only spend a minute completeing an objective after treking there.

The world itself is pretty awesome in how it's built and how different groups interact with one another and the players. Out side of the quests that actually progress the story, most of them are trivial at best and can be somewhat annoying at how much you need to travel to do some pretty simple things. Especially since SE uses the Linkshell to allow NPCs to communicate over large distances with no problem. Right now it's the money sink set up for the game.

The only other quest disparity I see is the strange quests used during the main one that include some pretty basic tasks fit for a commoner, not someone who slays primals, dragons, and other threats to the entire realm. I slayed Ifrit, why am I throwing water on a drunk or doing dances for lettuce people?

The main story though really picks up around halfway through and more of the inbetween quests seem to deal more with the overall story, not just filler.

letterboxart

Neo Member
I was sitting outside Haukke Manor scrolling through the combat log last night and saw this when I scrolled back down:
ibw4wucDBHfscu.png
Haha... what? It was probably just a typo, but now I can't unsee it. I mean, what would be worse... the cat hair or the chafing?

Anyway, what a cool instance. This is probably the first dungeon that we didn't just zerg down. The story was a lot darker than I expected (in FF), but it was a nice contrast to the general tone of Gridania. Also, the lighting at the entrance is pretty amazing. What a way to greet new players:

Kokonoe

Banned
I will admit, Limsa has always confused me. I'm honestly starting to like Gridania since it's easier for me to navigate. Although, I'm still getting use to it.

Phades

Actually, thinking about it, wasn't the original FFXI JP release utterly catastrophic? Any FFXI historians remember?

Others will expand on this for sure, but I do recall servers being full and some zones crashing. Nothing to the effect of accounts getting borked, no ability to download or update clients, or other more fundamental issues like contacting support at all.

Catastrophic I would relate in parrallel to Anarchy Online in general.

Tash

I was sitting outside Haukke Manor scrolling through the combat log last night and saw this when I scrolled back down:

Haha... what? It was probably just a typo, but now I can't unsee it. I mean, what would be worse... the cat hair or the chafing?

Anyway, what a cool instance. This is probably the first dungeon that we didn't just zerg down. The story was a lot darker than I expected (in FF), but it was a nice contrast to the general tone of Gridania. Also, the lighting at the entrance is pretty amazing. What a way to greet new players:

Reminds me a bit of Mistmoore Castle in EQ2 - which is a good thing

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The only other quest disparity I see is the strange quests used during the main one that include some pretty basic tasks fit for a commoner, not someone who slays primals, dragons, and other threats to the entire realm. I slayed Ifrit, why am I throwing water on a drunk or doing dances for lettuce people?

Variety, world building, bits of levity that help the major encounters truly stand out. Unless the game is lacking in meaningful epic encounters and dungeons, this sort of stuff is genuinely beneficial to round out the experience and not make it purely a string of monster encounters.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Can I download the PS3 version on PSN? Or is it retail only for PS3?

You can download it on PSN, but new sales are closed off until server load issues are resolved, likely next week. If you can't wait, you can go buy a physical copy in the meanwhile.

daveo42

Banned
Variety, world building, bits of levity that help the major encounters truly stand out. Unless the game is lacking in meaningful epic encounters and dungeons, this sort of stuff is genuinely beneficial to round out the experience and not make it purely a string of monster encounters.

While true, some of it is, again, ridiculous. While seeing the group come together was pretty awesome, the quest to
get cheese and wine
just felt long and mostly unnecessary in the amount of stops you needed to make just to get it done. The same quest line though did have a few good moments to them, including
fighting the boulder.

Really, it feels like there's too much padding and not enough world building in a good chunk of these quests.

Aeana

Filters don't seem to work with controllers unfortunately, probably need to post the bug on the official forums and contact a GM so they're aware of it.
Huh? I use filters every day and I only play with the controller. I wouldn't be able to participate in FATEs without my enemies only filter.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Huh? I use filters every day and I only play with the controller. I wouldn't be able to participate in FATEs without my enemies only filter.

Filters do not work for me either (I'm using a 360 controller, well I WAS, I got fed up and switched to keyboard).

daveo42

Banned
So for dungeons, I imagine they get more difficult around 30? 30 onwards I assume having your job is about mandatory?

Brayflox is a little more difficult, but not much than other dungeons up to that point. You really only need to worry about poison there. The hardest dungeon I have run though is Sunken Temple of Qarn. There are mob and boss mechanics that take a coordinated party with decent gear to tackle. It was a blast to run.

TheContact

will it ask me to log in to square enix account too?
how does it know where to link the game too?

in the back of your game manual is the 12 digit code, once you register that to PSN, it recognizes you have the game, and when you log in to square enix account through the ps3, it will ask you to sync your beta account to your new full account.

RiamuBME

Was finally able to get onto Odin EU, where most of the guys I play MMOs with are. Really enjoying it so far. Although I think the mapping system is a bit strange and hard to keep track sometimes. Other than that though, the game is pretty damn solid. Didn't play XIV 1.0 , but I have heard some horror stories. Please enjoy my very stylish Miqo'te :D

OM4Ji9x.jpg

jiggle

in the back of your game manual is the 12 digit code, once you register that to PSN, it recognizes you have the game, and when you log in to square enix account through the ps3, it will ask you to sync your beta account to your new full account.

awesome thanks :D

TheFatOne

I keep making the same mistake and logging out instead of just idling.I probably have no chance of playing today unless I spam this thing for the next couple of hours.

centracore

Would you be able to post a screenshot of your targeting settings? I can't seem to get them to work as intended but I'm probably just doing something wrong.

Baleoce

To people using controller who can't get rid of friendly NPC targetting whilst weapon is drawn:

Character Configuration > Control Settings > Filters > Target Filter Settings > While Weapon is Drawn (Untick NPCs/Objects) > Apply

You can help yourself out here by getting used to making sure you're in fighting stance with L3 before you engage in battle.

If you *really* want to get used to this, then go to Character Configuration > Control Settings > Character > Auto-sheathe weapon when not in battle (untick)

This way you won't have to worry about it auto-unsheathing mid FATE if you can't target one quickly enough, and it gets you used to toggling with L3 more (just got to make sure you don't have a target first, or it'll just lock onto them).

Tash

Oh wow since I am having troubles logging in I took the time to actually watch the intro cinematic - not only is that amazingly beautiful done the song is just totally amazing.

It's called Answers by Nobuo Uematsu if I am not mistaken.

Cmagus

The market on our server is so useless. It's almost not even worth leveling crafts like Armorer and Blacksmith considering you can buy almost all the gear from npc's now. Can't even make a dollar and people are competing so much for selling high end gear that gear with materia is barely bringing in 15k.

Not only that as a armorer the most valuable stuff the Darksteel gear requires Darksteel Ingots which require 9 coke that cost 125 tomes like its so ridiculous that it isn't even worth the effort. Not only that the selling of stacks only is such a poor decision like I didn't think they could make the market place worse than 1.0 but congratulations you have SE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom