• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meia

I think that the cross-class abilities are meant to fit that bill, and effectively give you as much control over your character as the current WoW talent system.. with the proviso that you have to put the hours in to get those classes leveled.

Except I HAVE to be missing something, cause I see maybe one good cross skill ability white mages can get access to, which is terrible. If I'm reading a chart correctly, they can only pair off with THM and ACN, and of those THM gives Thunder 2(don't care), Surecase(shouldn't be getting hit to make you care), and Swiftcast(is awesome), while ACN gives you Ruin(don't care), Bio(don't care), Virus(slightly can lower tank damage I guess), and Eye for an Eye(lowers tank damage by 10% maybe at times on a low chance random proc, a bane of any healer).

So yeah, as a healer, I get absolutely nothing from this system, go me? And after leveling a class leveling *another* class to +30 is not the same as leveling a class and spec'ing into something. Personally, I think not having a tree is one of the game's biggest mistakes given how bad the cross class system works. /shrug

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Arcanist as it is right now shouldn't be able to queue as healer.

Physick isn't enough to heal beyond the first few dungeons. Especially because your MND statistic is so low.
They cant? at least I was never able to. You can only queue up based on the color of your class icon.

Ferrio

Banned
Except I HAVE to be missing something, cause I see maybe one good cross skill ability white mages can get access to, which is terrible. If I'm reading a chart correctly, they can only pair off with THM and ACN, and of those THM gives Thunder 2(don't care), Surecase(shouldn't be getting hit to make you care), and Swiftcast(is awesome), while ACN gives you Ruin(don't care), Bio(don't care), Virus(slightly can lower tank damage I guess), and Eye for an Eye(lowers tank damage by 10% maybe at times on a low chance random proc, a bane of any healer).

So yeah, as a healer, I get absolutely nothing from this system, go me? And leveling a class another class to +30 is not the same as leveling a class and spec'ing into something. Personally, I think not having a tree is one of the game's biggest mistakes given how bad the cross class system works. /shrug

Well the whole "You get lot less cross skills when using a job" is the reason for that. Roll a straight CNJ and you have plenty of options. Kinda silly, but they needed some way to differentiate between a job and the base class.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
my jimmies are rustled..guess i wont be able to play this weekend and Square hasnt responded to my 3 day old ticket

YWvhVrx.jpg

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

So yeah, as a healer, I get absolutely nothing from this system, go me? And after leveling a class leveling *another* class to +30 is not the same as leveling a class and spec'ing into something. Personally, I think not having a tree is one of the game's biggest mistakes given how bad the cross class system works. /shrug
Eye for an eye is awesome, you should be using that on every other group pull. You are looking at it the wrong way. It might only have a chance to go off, but once it does it debuffs the mob with weaker damage for 20 seconds.

And surecast is nice because there are some unavoidable damage situations in this game

Meia

Well the whole "You get lot less cross skills when using a job" is the reason for that. Roll a straight CNJ and you have plenty of options. Kinda silly, but they needed some way to differentiate between a job and the base class.

While I can somewhat see this, you already get half the cross skill slots too, don't you? So as a straight up CNJ I get twice as many and can mix and match better, but looking at the list I still can't fill it. Hell, I can't really see 5 I'd want in a purely healing role. Going to a job further limiting the pool of classes is just kind of a terrible idea, unless I'm misunderstanding the system in some fundamental way.

At lv50, I can see running NO cross class skills and not exactly being much worse off for it. Isn't that kind of a problem?

Eye for an eye is awesome, you should be using that on every other group pull. You are looking at it the wrong way. It might only have a chance to go off, but once it does it debuffs the mob with weaker damage for 20 seconds.

And surecast is nice because there are some unavoidable damage situations in this game

10% is a very very low amount. I know every bit helps, but c'mon. :p

I can almost see a use for surecast, but it's crap that the contender in WoW has it kind of baked into the natural game, ya know? "Use a CD to get what you should be getting anyway for a short time!" isn't a big attention getter. :p

Has anyone that bought a physical copy from the Square Enix online store not received it yet? I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and thought it would be here by the end of early access.

Sblargh

Banned
my jimmies are rustled..guess i wont be able to play this weekend and Square hasnt responded to my 3 day old ticket

I'm in your exact same situation. Someone said on the official forum:

"So basically the process is
#1 Put in a ticket
#2 Sit on hold or in queue for 2-3hours
#3 Get a new ticket number and added to a magic "escalation list". I assume said list is like a prize for wasting your time and they figure if someone isn't calling they should sit on the slow list.
#4 Wait an undisclosed amount of time (sometimes as fast as 24hours but up to 2 weeks)
#5 ??????"

The implication being that, just like error 1017, you are actively punished for not overloading their servers. Because people who do wait for chat and phone service get a free "escalation list" ticket for reasons unknown to all. And people who send the ticket via e-mail and wait like they are told so stay forever behind those on the escalation list.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
At lv50, I can see running NO cross class skills and not exactly being much worse off for it. Isn't that kind of a problem?

Yeah you wont have instant cast battle rez so you would suck as that prevents wipes, your tank will always take more damage than any other whm's tank as well. Any SMN/SCH/WHM that doesn't get that instant cast skill by end game is just fucking their own party over.

10% is a very very low amount. I know every bit helps, but c'mon. :p

I can almost see a use for surecast, but it's crap that the contender in WoW has it kind of baked into the natural game, ya know? "Use a CD to get what you should be getting anyway for a short time!" isn't a big attention getter. :p
10% between 5 dudes all say hitting for 200 every 2 seconds. Which means tank is taking 1k dmg every 2 seconds, when he could be taking 900. It's not gamebreaking omg you are like a god now! But that shit does add up.

I agree with you. This system I feel is worse long term for new players too. As the existing player base gets richer and richer, the market prices will get higher and higher. New players 2 years into FFXIV:ARR's life are going to have a really tough time.

Shit, I didn't even think of that. Hmmm, well at least we can rest assuredly that Materia by and large doesn't matter so much until late game where money is plentiful. Still, I'd guess that many people don't use Materia because the unnecessary barrier of entry to get it into slots on gear.

My trip through Tam-Tara was with a level sync'ed SCH who had only Physik and the fairy, and we were fine. The problem of that would be that you need to be lv30 before you can queue in a lv15 dungeon as a healer.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I'm in your exact same situation. Someone said on the official forum:

"So basically the process is
#1 Put in a ticket
#2 Sit on hold or in queue for 2-3hours
#3 Get a new ticket number and added to a magic "escalation list". I assume said list is like a prize for wasting your time and they figure if someone isn't calling they should sit on the slow list.
#4 Wait an undisclosed amount of time (sometimes as fast as 24hours but up to 2 weeks)
#5 ??????"

The implication being that, just like error 1017, you are actively punished for not overloading their servers. Because people who do wait for chat and phone service get a free "escalation list" ticket for reasons unknown to all. And people who send the ticket via e-mail and wait like they are told so stay forever behind those on the escalation list.

Just super bummed all about this :(

orion434

I need some help, I am trying to do the Carpenter's Quest "The Lance's Lesson" and I need to fuse a Matria to an Iron Lance, where can I find the quest that will allow me to use Materia?

Tash

It's less of a problem for other classes/jobs. Conj and whm share some powerful skills with the other classes (raise for example) while not really getting strong ones from others. It's a general issue with skills and boring gameplay for those two IMO.

I agree with you. This system I feel is worse long term for new players too. As the existing player base gets richer and richer, the market prices will get higher and higher. New players 2 years into FFXIV:ARR's life are going to have a really tough time.

That's only true if those players decide not to do anything for themselves, though.

Alucrid

Banned
Ok, help me not fuck this up again. Just bought FF14 copy number 2, I go to my real account with my characters listed and select add platform, right?

Tarazet

The tooltip for Marauder's Bloodbath reads that the "next attack" will restore HP, but it's actually all attacks for as long as the effect lasts. I wonder if the tooltips for Swiftcast and Surecast are similarly incorrect. If Surecast lasts 10 seconds and has a 30 second cooldown, that is awesome to the point of being broken.

Meia

Yeah you wont have instant cast battle rez so you would suck as that prevents wipes, your tank will always take more damage than any other whm's tank as well

A 10% reduced damage proc off of a 20% chance isn't game breaking here. It's nice, maybe even very nice, but crucial? Is it?

But yeah, I've said the instant cast ability is useful, and is really the only one I'm seeing as such. This still does little to solve the problem we're arguing about two abilities, what about the other THREE slots? :p

The tooltip for Marauder's Bloodbath reads that the "next attack" will restore HP, but it's actually all attacks for as long as the effect lasts. I wonder if the tooltips for Swiftcast and Surecast are similarly incorrect. If Surecast lasts 10 seconds and has a 30 second cooldown, that is awesome to the point of being broken.

Only if the mana cost is 0 and doesn't cause the MASSIVE GCD this game has. Is that the case with it?

frequency

My trip through Tam-Tara was with a level sync'ed SCH who had only Physik and the fairy, and we were fine. The problem of that would be that you need to be lv30 before you can queue in a lv15 dungeon as a healer.

That works because equipping Scholar gives you a lot of MND. It's not like it's syncing them back to level 18 Arcanist statistics with Arcanist distribution of MND/INT.

That's only true if those players decide not to do anything for themselves, though.

Being self sufficient in FFXIV:ARR is not trivial. It would take a lot of work. It's a possible path but not one that is realistic for the majority of players.

Uthred

Due to the fact that macros allow you to wait and then cast another spell, does that mean that for dot classes you could have one button that will cast all your dots in a row and then recast them once theyve ticked but before theyve finished in order to maximise dps? (well maximise dps and pointless boredom)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
But yeah, I've said the instant cast ability is useful, and is really the only one I'm seeing as such. This still does little to solve the problem we're arguing about two abilities, what about the other THREE slots? :p
virus/eye for an eye/surecast/ fastcast

That's it. You don't need every cross class skill to be a game changer, it's all about what little things you can use to help in the long run. Virus is only up for a little bit, if you have a sch or smn in the group taking turns with it keeps it up on the mob a lot longer.

Going with the mindset that what you have is good enough is just going to make things a lot harder on everyone in the long run.

Tash

Due to the fact that macros allow you to wait and then cast another spell, does that mean that for dot classes you could have one button that will cast all your dots in a row and then recast them once theyve ticked but before theyve finished in order to maximise dps? (well maximise dps and pointless boredom)

For some reason I can't macro several instant casts without having to add a wait of 1.0 there is a hidden cd it seems

Kenai

A 10% reduced damage proc off of a 20% chance isn't game breaking here. It's nice, maybe even very nice, but crucial? Is it?

I kinda understand, but I feel kinda like some classes take advantage of it more than others (which would be a problem in its own right). As SCH I love to use Protect since I don't have anything comparable baseline, and if I am helping in a lowbie dungeon I can socket Raise. I feel like making "crucial" socket abilities might cause more harm than good though, as that would mean you'd *need* to level *insert X job here for insert Y class here* or be terrible. Finding a good balance between totes useless and totes mandatory is good, right? Some might even be crucial for some classes already and maybe I just don't know it yet.

Meia

virus/eye for an eye/surecast/ fastcast

That's it. You don't need every cross class skill to be a game changer, it's all about what little things you can use to help in the long run. Virus is only up for a little bit, if you have a sch or smn in the group taking turns with it keeps it up on the mob a lot longer.

You think healers can use mana willy-nilly? :)

I can see Eye for an Eye being useful at times. Virus? Um, no.

That works because equipping Scholar gives you a lot of MND. It's not like it's syncing them back to level 18 Arcanist statistics with Arcanist distribution of MND/INT.

Looking at the chart, it also gives you access to Cleric Stance. That actually leads me to a question. On levelup if you were playing a ACN with the intent of being a SCH healer, what do I put points in? INT knowing I get Cleric Stance?

I kinda understand, but I feel kinda like some classes take advantage of it more than others (which would be a problem in its own right). As SCH I love to use Protect since I don't have anything comparable baseline, and if I am helping in a lowbie dungeon I can socket Raise. I feel like making "crucial" socket abilities might cause more harm than good though, as that would mean you'd *need* to level *insert X job here for insert Y class here* or be terrible. Finding a good balance between totes useless and totes mandatory is good, right? Some might even be crucial for some classes already and maybe I just don't know it yet.

Ah, but if you want access to SCH, you have to level a CNJ anyway, and you'll get those abilities before you have to switch back. It's kind of weird seeing how they compare on a cross skill basis. It's almost like SCH need the system just to function or get similar abilities, while WHM kind of gets nothing, but maybe because they have all they need already?

I dunno, it's just a wholly uninteresting system to me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

I don't use macros for my dots, they all end at different moments for the most part so the casting order is never the same outside of thunder 1 ->bio 1, but if I need to do high burst damage to something fast as possible casting thunder 1 is a waste so having a thunder1->bio 1 macro is pointless as well

You think healers can use mana willy-nilly? :)
I can see Eye for an Eye being useful at times. Virus? Um, no.
Sorry virus is useful, but it's cute you think it isn't and if you are runing out of mana from casting virus every 60 seconds then LOL wtf are you doing?

Sblargh

Banned
It sucked to start a CNJ after lvling ACN to 30 and finding out there were no good cross-skills at all to help me level. They should have thrown in a Bio to help my Aero, I think.
But it's ok, since the point is the SCH, so whatever.

Then I reached SCH and the only CNJ skill I use is Protect. If I lvl CNJ to a whooping 34; I get to use Stoneskin as SCH.

I feel it is not much at all. I like the system, but it doesn't seem to have any proper synergies to make the level work. I feel that lvl 50 skill should cross-class; even at th risk of being OP, but throw me a big useful bone to lvl a second class all the way up.

Think of a SCH who can Medica 2 or a Whit Mage who can Shadow Flare. I think it makes perfect sense.

So guys, what do you want to see for new classes/jobs in the future?

• Thief - Damage - Pre-req
  • Dancer - Tank - Pre-req
  • Sage - Healer - Pre-req
  • Ninja - Tank - Emphasis on debuffs and evasion rather than DMG
  • Samurai - Damage - Emphasis on enhancing combo skills of other party members, provides skillchains from FFXI that can be magic bursted
  • Red Mage - Damage/Healer - Emphasis on party enhancement with some damage skills
Yeah, I'd buy that!

Shouta

I dunno, running around town checking everybody's request tab to see if they got the skill to socket something into my Goldsmith dagger doesn't necessarily facilitate any kind of longstanding community development for me :p

Besides, reliance can be and is handled in many ways in FFXIV - the whole materia thing needs to just be as simple as plug in and use.

Nah. Materia can't be plug and use because they have to base the higher end melds off something. I can be ok with gear that has slots being simple plug in but the higher level melds should be based on the crafting type. It'd be silly to have someone a level 1, fresh character go ahead and slot 5 materia into one piece of gear without any help.

Tash

It sucked to start a CNJ after lvling ACN to 30 and finding out there were no good cross-skills at all to help me level. They should have thrown in a Bio to help my Aero, I think.
But it's ok, since the point is the SCH, so whatever.

Then I reached SCH and the only CNJ skill I use is Protect. If I lvl CNJ to a whooping 34; I get to use Stoneskin as SCH.

I feel it is not much at all. I like the system, but it doesn't seem to have any proper synergies to make the level work. I feel that lvl 50 skill should cross-class; even at th risk of being OP, but throw me a big useful bone to lvl a second class all the way up.

Think of a SCH who can Medica 2 or a Whit Mage who can Shadow Flare. I think it makes perfect sense.

Does sch get raise as main skill? And can you battle raise?

Meia

Sorry virus is useful, but it's cute you think it isn't and if you are runing out of mana from casting virus every 60 seconds then LOL wtf are you doing?

At this point I'm just theorycrafting since my character is only lv30. And yes, at lv30 I've run oom plenty of times because PUGs in this game are the same in every other MMO, they LOVE standing in fire! And useful is in the eye of the beholder, I am coming from a different game as a healer of many years that actually had REAL big buffs you gave to tanks. :p

I just see the cross class system as uninteresting drivel that really adds a fat lot of nothing to the game for me. If it does for you or someone else's class, bully for them I guess, but I'd rather have a talent system that benefits everyone. /shrug

frequency

Looking at the chart, it also gives you access to Cleric Stance. That actually leads me to a question. On levelup if you were playing a ACN with the intent of being a SCH healer, what do I put points in? INT knowing I get Cleric Stance?

You don't want to use Cleric Stance as a SCH when healing. It decreases healing potency by 20%. Unfortunately, right now if you want to be a SCH, you should put points into MND despite it being not your primary statistic as a ACN.

Alternatively, you could put the points into PIE. More MP is helpful to everyone.
But MND will probably be best for SCH because the more you heal the better (barriers).

Ken

I absolutely agree. Also, speaking of Materia, who's bright idea was it to only allow crafters of the gear type to be able to socket the stuff?

My friends and I used to joke about how WoW could be worse and I kid you not, this is the shit we used to joke about:

"Haha, hey man, what if a max level Leatherworker was the only guy that could socket gems into your high end Leather gear? You'd have to like, run around town and ask people or something. Wouldn't that suck, lol, no game would ever do that..."

D:

So for Conjurer I should go weaver if I ever want to socket stuff on my own?

Isaccard

Leaving work early today. I have the entire Labor day weekend to play this and I'm going all in. Hopefully, I can hit 45-50 by Monday night. I will not be skipping any dungeons or story scenarios and would like to run a few dungeons multiple times for gear and to help people in the FC out.

I need Grayflox if I can get online when I get home. Does android still need stuff outta there?

Tash

I seriously feel conj and whm need some work over. We don't really have anything super unique or class defining like the other classes..and mana is much more an issue then with arcanist types.

And while I love playing them I would be lying if I said they are as versatile and fun to play like the other classes.

Nah. Materia can't be plug and use because they have to base the higher end melds off something. I can be ok with gear that has slots being simple plug in but the higher level melds should be based on the crafting type. It'd be silly to have someone a level 1, fresh character go ahead and slot 5 materia into one piece of gear without any help.

They could do what other MMOs do and just level requirement the Materia to the slot to prevent a Lv.1 from Min/Maxing like that.

And there are no Lv.1 gear that has 5 Materia slots either :) I think that at around Lv.15 you get your first piece of a gear with Materia slots, and it has one slot.

It would be better if you could just slot Materia into gear with slots as long as the levels were appropriate between the two. That'd be a nice way to give player convenience and some variety in an accessible way to players.

Alex

My only complaints with the game at my current juncture remain:

1.) Targeting is so iffy. There's a lot to toy with, so I'm trying to fix it, but I'm struggling.

2.) You wanna do this quest, bro? DROP YOUR GROUP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom