• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phades

So guys, what do you want to see for new classes/jobs in the future?

• Thief - Damage - Pre-req
  • Dancer - Tank - Pre-req
  • Sage - Healer - Pre-req
  • Ninja - Tank - Emphasis on debuffs and evasion rather than DMG
  • Samurai - Damage - Emphasis on enhancing combo skills of other party members, provides skillchains from FFXI that can be magic bursted
  • Red Mage - Damage/Healer - Emphasis on party enhancement with some damage skills
Yeah, I'd buy that!

You left out Blue mage. :p

But yeah those are reasonable assuming they don't reintroduce utsusemi. That was toxic to the previous game...

Shouta

They could do what other MMOs do and just level requirement the Materia to the slot to prevent a Lv.1 from Min/Maxing like that.

And there are no Lv.1 gear that has 5 Materia slots either :) I think that at around Lv.15 you get your first piece of a gear with Materia slots, and it has one slot.

It would be better if you could just slot Materia into gear with slots as long as the levels were appropriate between the two. That'd be a nice way to give player convenience and some variety in an accessible way to players.

That's already the case. You can't min/max with high level materia because it requires a base item level for the upper tiers.

Slots are 100% chance of affixing materia but you can meld additional materia to gear beyond the slots available. You just have a chance of it failing in that case. So even if a piece of equipment has 2 slots, it has a possibility of having a total of 5 (I think).

I could go with allowing the slots to be melded freely but I'd still prefer the current system because it does require a bit of dependence on other players unless folks want to spend the time themselves to do it. It is an MMO afterall. It has to have some kind of system to get folks to interact.

Except that stone skin is horribly situational and based on the targets hp which doesn't make a lot of sense especially with the long cat time and recast. Also all those traits are rng and I can't properly plan them. What good are those if they trigger when nothing is going to happen and won't if I actually need them? Way too much chance.

Stoneskin has a 3 second cast and if you need an emergency version of it, you can easily use a Swiftcast to bypass the casting time. Skill Speed will reduce the recast timer. Additionally, % based on the target is fine. It makes sense from a Lore perspective and a balancing one, IMO. It's certainly better than the skill-based version they had from FFXI which was fairly meh for most folks.

Baleoce

UGH why can't they put in a proper queue system like EVERY other MMO

I'm almost convinced there's no packets being sent to or from the server with 1017, and it's some random algorithm. I tend to find after I hammer the login button and keep getting 1017's, if I go out of the game completely, and log back in with the security key it puts me in an actual queue quicker. I can't even remember the last time I got a 1017, kept hammering login, and it actually worked, infact I don't think I've ever successfully logged in like that.

Im really thinking about doing this.

I have a Logitech keyboard with 12 additional macro keys that I can customize to anything so I MIGHT set that up for the Ctrl and Alt combos but I really think an MMO mouse would be better too.

I also see a lot of gameboards like this:

But really have no idea how useful they are. Anyone have any experience with them?

I use and swear by a G13. I can't play MMOs with a keyboard anymore.

Ken

I've stopped using Stone only because Stone II does more damage and you don't get any other offensive magic till 45 as a WHM.

Do you suggest going straight to WHM at 30 or are there any skills worth getting on CNJ first? Still level 22 so I've a bit of a ways to go.

Taruranto

• Samurai - Damage - Emphasis on enhancing combo skills of other party members, provides skillchains from FFXI that can be magic bursted
  • Red Mage - Damage/Healer - Emphasis on party enhancement with some damage skills
Yeah, I'd buy that!

Thief is probably a given, since gladiator already uses daggers. Dancer could easily come from Pugilist. Sage is kinda redundant, since we already have the Scholar.

I'm curious how they would implement Jobs like Samurai or Ninja, given that they use unique weapons.

Personally, I'd like to see something like the Rune Fencer, maybe as a tank who employs self buff/debuffs to keep hate. On other hand, i'm not found of evansion tanks, because they tend to fuck the game balance for the other tanks (I don't want another FFXI situation)

Philthy

How does this compare to Everquest and WoW?

Are there any static spawns/rares that you can camp or is everything instanced?

Is equipment auction house driven, or do you have to find your good equipment or make it yourself?

I'm a huge fan of the old EQ way. I like competing against people for spawns and items. The whole instanced thing ruined MMORPGs for me because then everyone can be that special snowflake without having to wait in line or hours.

Are boss mobs static or instanced? Again, same thing. I liked being part of a guild that got steam rolled all the time trying to get to respawns before the other guys. It made you work harder as a team where mistakes could blow your shot and let the other guys take a shot. Eventually you were the ones steam rolling, and it felt like an accomplishment.

Welcome to the growing club! Don't bother contacting SE support, it's useless. If you try by phone you'll either get a busy tone or you'll wait for 4+ hours on queue. If you try by chat you'll spend 2+ hours in a queue, just for the chat to tell you there's no agents to talk to you. Enjoy your stay!

#TeamPlatform

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Read quests

I just did the instance with the gil turtle 4 times because people kept killing the thing instead of putting it to sleep lol

daveo42

Banned
Do you suggest going straight to WHM at 30 or are there any skills worth getting on CNJ first? Still level 22 so I've a bit of a ways to go.

Pick up WHM at 30 since you still gain CNJ levels. Think of WHM as an equip for CNJ that gives you new abilities and better stats geared for healing. There is no negative to getting it at 30.

elyetis

Yeah, I'd buy that!
Definitly puppetmaster, aka best ffxi job ever.

I also hope to see bard get more support oriented with a level max increase / new skills, then archer get Ranger as a second job.

Blue mage also, definitly.

I really hope they will add now classes, not just new jobs. Give the occasion for new leveling, and more weapon diversity.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I really hope they will add now classes, not just new jobs. Give the occasion for new leveling, and more weapon diversity.

Well if you look at the Marauders Guild as you walk in, you'll notice the MRD symbol on the left banner, but on the right banner, a pair of crossed pistols. I expect we'll see some sort of class relating to that eventually.

Yep, all one account. A family member got a new laptop recently that was not very good GPU wise but still got a pretty nice benchmark score, so you never know. :p

Seems I can run it on high laptop? but the benchmark is only for character creation so im not really sure

Om3ga

So i'm an idiot and entered my buddy pass code instead of my CE code(didn't read what code it was until afterwards. Is it possible to still enter the CE code without making a new account? (since I was already a part of EA). Will I have to contact S-E, or can I wait until my sub runs out. I feel like such an idiot. since it was pretty obvious what the code was I just didn't read it.

I tried entering the other code and it says the code is invalid, but I just opened it now so it couldn't be. I'd be fine if it overwrote my subscription, but now I don't have my CE items :(.

edit:

If I add another service account will that work? I don't want to mess up using the code again >.<

Ken

Pick up WHM at 30 since you still gain CNJ levels. Think of WHM as an equip for CNJ that gives you new abilities and better stats geared for healing. There is no negative to getting it at 30.

Oooh okay, that helps a lot. Thanks!

Also, how do you do a macro for Stone II? I tried LL, II, and 2, but it just uses Stone I.

Tarazet

Apparently I get to spend the afternoon getting a new computer before I get to try Defiance. The one I've been using for just over 2 years now threw a blue screen and couldn't be recovered.

WolvenOne

[*]Ninja - Tank - Emphasis on debuffs and evasion rather than DMG

Heh, reminds me of the Ninja's from Disgaea, and their uncanny ability to dodge everything. An enemy would break out some fifty hit combo, and the screen would be spammed by, "Miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, miss...."

Yeah, I could see that working as a type of Tank. XD

Ferrio

Banned
Heh, reminds me of the Ninja's from Disgaea, and their uncanny ability to dodge everything. An enemy would break out some fifty hit combo, and the screen would be spammed by, "Miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, miss...."

Yeah, I could see that working as a type of Tank. XD

How the ninja in FFXI was... Square was not happy about it. I doubt they'll do it again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How the ninja in FFXI was... Square was not happy about it. I doubt they'll do it again.

"The hell? You CAN work enough Blinks in there...this might just be feasible."

So good. Such a surprise.

JP

Sorry, not read the whole thread yet but has anything been mentioned about when the game is going back up in the UK PlayStation Store yet?

Damn, my game crashed, and now I can't get back in. D: On a side note, Cutters Cry is a pretty cool dungeon. I especially like the final boss of it. Hectic, but fun.

Phades

Yeah, they ended up having to balance the whole game around 1 skill and then they introduced a 2nd tier version of it.... I dunno, I think whoever called the shots on that one was asleep at the wheel. It seems far more simple to adjust the 1 problemnatic skill and job instead.

Shouta

Yeah, they ended up having to balance the whole game around 1 skill and then they introduced a 2nd tier version of it.... I dunno, I think whoever called the shots on that one was asleep at the wheel. It seems far more simple to adjust the 1 problemnatic skill and job instead.

They balanced it again later on. Evasion tanking became just one method with benefits and weaknesses. I'm fine with it if they can balance it like later XI but definitely not early XI.

Having finally had access to the other two cities, I can see that Gridania has the least confusing layout and I'm so glad I started there. Glad I can use airships now at least...now I want to be a White Mage but should I continue leveling CNJ to 30 or just start on the other class and level that to 15?

Ravidrath

Are there any requirements to joining the GAF Free Company on Sargatanas? I'm Jeremy Mars on there, and I don't quite understand the entire point of them yet. I've gotten a few random invites to other ones while walking around and I just decline them. Why are people just throwing around random invites?

There aren't really any requirements, per se. We just ask that you make a Guildwork account and apply on our site so you can stay abreast of FC events, etc.

http://reddot.guildwork.com/

Do that and bug an officer in the game and you should be all set!

As for the point? Well, there are a number of bonuses from being in an FC, and I believe later there will be FC-only content.

Right now, though, it's mostly just a way to aggregate accomplishments and rank up the FC more bonuses.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've been doing work on Durandal (Legacy JP, oy vey) - waiting for server transfer as I'm not keen on making a new main. Kinda hurts, but the way the servers are currently, well, I don't WANT an NA server.

That being said, Durandal has not had a login queue a single time since launch for me. I'll take my blessings.

Can't really blame people for not logging off. This is such bullshit to launch without a AFK kick or proper queue system. Even with messed up launches in other games, I at least knew I could just get in a queue and eventually play the game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Goddamnit. Am I gonna have to watch all the 1.0 cutscenes on Youtube? I keep bumping into that pair of NPC's from the first game and I am pretty lost on who they are and they keep making constant references to events from "5 years ago".

Is that rabbit hole worth going down just to get better up to speed?

Aeana

Spam 0. It makes it easier to log in.

I wrote a script to retry logging in because of how absurd it is otherwise. I don't at all condone bots for playing MMORPGs, but for logging in, it's another matter entirely. When I say I was "trying" to log in, I meant I was chatting on IRC while my script tried to log me in. I don't really have to pay attention because it detects when I'm in a queue and stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom