• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sblargh

Banned
I wrote a script to retry logging in because of how absurd it is otherwise. I don't at all condone bots for playing MMORPGs, but for logging in, it's another matter entirely. When I say I was "trying" to log in, I meant I was chatting on IRC while my script tried to log me in. I don't really have to pay attention because it detects when I'm in a queue and stops.

That's awesome. I wish I had your skillz.

itschris

Goddamnit. Am I gonna have to watch all the 1.0 cutscenes on Youtube? I keep bumping into that pair of NPC's from the first game and I am pretty lost on who they are and they keep making constant references to events from "5 years ago".

Is that rabbit hole worth going down just to get better up to speed?

There's a Blu-Ray that came with the collector's edition that has a 20-minute video giving you the gist of what happened in 1.0. I don't know if there's any other way to see it, but it was pretty helpful for me.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I wrote a script to retry logging in because of how absurd it is otherwise. I don't at all condone bots for playing MMORPGs, but for logging in, it's another matter entirely. When I say I was "trying" to log in, I meant I was chatting on IRC while my script tried to log me in. I don't really have to pay attention because it detects when I'm in a queue and stops.

Ah. Nice.

WolvenOne

There's a Blu-Ray that came with the collector's edition that has a 20-minute video giving you the gist of what happened in 1.0. I don't know if there's any other way to see it, but it was pretty helpful for me.

Kinda waiting for that to end up on Youtube, kinda inevitable, ya know.

Kenai

Jeez, that sounds way better than my idea. i was happy i was able to "mutilate" my Xbox for windows controller to "autofire" me. :(

daveo42

Banned
Just got home and no dice on getting on the server. I really want to spend today and most of tomorrow playing and not waiting for a spot. I guess there's always sleeping now and logging in around midnight and just staying up all day tomorrow.

/sigh

Ravidrath

BTW, they really need to save gearsets and action layouts on the server.

I plan to play on both PC and PS3, and the thought of reconfiguring everything makes me not want to do that.

Also planning on upgrading soon, and the thought of having to set everything up again is also terrifying.

0 on the numpad will work as quick select and confirm for all of the login stuff. So you don't need to click anything or move the cursor or anything like that.

I have 2 final fantasy versions. One was the older beta and if press 0 at the main screen it defaults to that one which then exits the whole thing.

I have never been more happy to have a control that has auto turbo buttons on it then I have with this game. Just got to set X to auto fire then fuck off to do anything else while waiting to log in.

Phades

They balanced it again later on. Evasion tanking became just one method with benefits and weaknesses. I'm fine with it if they can balance it like later XI but definitely not early XI.

How did they adjust it directly? I didn't play much past WOTG. Did it become a % chance like the spell blink or something?

Aeana

I have 2 final fantasy versions. One was the older beta and if press 0 at the main screen it defaults to that one which then exits the whole thing.
You can go into the configuration on the title screen and change the binding. At least, I think you can access key bindings from the title screen. Maybe you can't. Either way, it's whatever your confirm button is set to.

Considering the PS3 has no option to set up a script to auto refresh I feel like I have come up with an ingenious solution

I have my SF4 fight stick hooked up to my PS3 with turbo set to the x button, I then set my 3DS on top of the x button so i don't have to sit there pressing x over and over and over again

I really can't wait for them to implement a decent queue system lol

So.... I want the Foestriker's Tabard. I read that it's a drop in an early dungeon... but how the heck do I get into a dungeon?

This game is great, but it's really opaque with all the weird names for everything. Let me know what a guild is, what a dungeon is, what a daily is and what the dungeon finder is, dammit.

Aeana

So.... I want the Foestriker's Tabard. I read that it's a drop in an early dungeon... but how the heck do I get into a dungeon?

This game is great, but it's really opaque with all the weird names for everything. Let me know what a guild is, what a dungeon is, what a daily is and what the dungeon finder is, dammit.
At level 15, the story quest requires you to go into 3 dungeons in a row. They're the first ones you can get into, and you can't get into them until then.

chrono01

At level 15, the story quest requires you to go into 3 dungeons in a row. They're the first ones you can get into, and you can't get into them until then.
Now I feel over-leveled. I just got my first dungeon-quest [Satasha] last night. I'm level 21. ~_~

Noi

Ran into the Asipatra Attacks FATE while leveling CNJ. The damn thing got stuck on a wall in Sanguine Perch and was literally untargetable unless you had an AoE attack to lock onto it in the first place.
KuGsj.gif

Aeana

Now I feel over-leveled. I just got my first dungeon-quest [Satasha] last night. I'm level 21. ~_~
Yes, that's definitely overleveled. But don't feel bad, because later on, quests essentially dry up, so being ahead of the story is a Very Good Thing.

daveo42

Banned
Great, Ultros is impossible to get into. There go my weekend plans.

Login in the middle of the night is probably the only way unless they start kicking AFK players, which I kind of wish they did now. I've always logged out at the end of the play session and they should too because they are holding up spots on the server and have been for some time.

Edit: In a queue right now...let's hope it holds.

Edit 2: Kicked >.<

Mononoke

Banned
Just ordered this on Amazon, will get it tomorrow (had to get something for school anyways). I'll probably end up playing this next weekend. But I'm excited to jump into this.

chrono01

Yes, that's definitely overleveled. But don't feel bad, because later quests essentially dry up, so being ahead of the story is a Very Good Thing.
Thanks, sounds good!

Yeah, I've really been focused on doing every single quest in each area before I move on, as well as completing whatever entries in the Hunting Log that I can. I'm saving the other quests [outside of the Main Story ones, obviously] in the remaining two cities for any other classes I play, such as Archer for the Black Mage Job. At the very least, it should provide a decent start to get me on my way!

I'm really enjoying just going through each area and soaking in the lore, though. I talk to random NPC's to learn more about each city/area, and take the time to read everything.

Yeah, you can say I'm invested in the world of Eorzea. :)

Shouta

Goddamnit. Am I gonna have to watch all the 1.0 cutscenes on Youtube? I keep bumping into that pair of NPC's from the first game and I am pretty lost on who they are and they keep making constant references to events from "5 years ago".

Is that rabbit hole worth going down just to get better up to speed?

Do you mean the twins?

Jomjom

Banned
OK, I installed my PS3 version and did a quick trophy test.

In short, you don't need to do everything on the PS3 version, but you need to do something.

So, for example, I went out and killed an enemy. A short time later, my "To Crush Your Enemy" trophy popped. As I had broken 50,000 kills in 1.0, immediately afterwards my "To Crush 10,000 Enemies" trophy popped.

So basically you need to do something related to one of the trophies to make the game check you in-game achievements, and anything related to that category should pop.

So if you're playing both versions and want your trophies, just do your 1000 things or whatever on PC first, then do one more on PS3 and you'll get both.

Is this the way it works with the crafting trophies too? For example can I craft 1000 things on PC and then do one more on PS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom