• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I never wait in a queue. Even at times when the queue window pops up, I cancel and try again... and usually get in immediately on that second retry, even if I supposedly had 100 people in front of me. It wasn't until I asked someone in my LS that I realized you were supposed to wait in line at that window, per se.

I don't understand how the queue system works.

It doesn't work lol

akaoni

Banned
Personally, I never wait in a queue. Even at times when the queue window pops up, I cancel and try again... and usually get in immediately on that second retry, even if I supposedly had 100 people in front of me. It wasn't until I asked someone in my LS that I realized you were supposed to wait in line at that window, per se.

I don't understand how the queue system works.

There'll be a 20-40~ window of time where the queue window comes up for people trying to get in, so cancelling it will put you back in while it's still up. Let it hang when it comes up and you'll either get in or you won't, no other way.

I think a tip is if a loading screen comes up without the loading cog at the bottom right, you're not getting in.

Teknoman

From last nights GAF adventures:
i1TzkMkeHFUOC.png

iLNJUpd46HHlE.png

ibrcb5TaoKVxb4.png

ipPSZIDGQuvmW.png

ibpEjohuSrIcWz.png

ibl0hMngdXKPei.png

ipezCdJdpgUDx.png

ibvWpnOREW3qH.png

i5liZhuK9Zwv8.png

ibyrBw5YFMyG3P.png

Had a good deathshot, but...it seems like it didnt save.

Cmagus

I agree for the most part, but... I feel like the main story has way too many "filler" quests. The type of stuff I hate, too like "Go find this crystal." "Oh wait, that's the wrong crystal! LOL" "Go find this different crystal." "Oh lol, you're gonna laugh, but that's the wrong one!" "Oh, okay, no fooling, this is the real one."

Like, that kind of stuff is just stupid. And it's a main story quest. Or those "go talk to this person in another zone and come back. Now go talk to someone else in a different zone and come back. One more please. End quest." Just.. meh.

Don't get me wrong, some of the story quests are great, but a vast majority of them are really lame/boring.
This was my problem with the story. I can understand some filler in the beginning but it continues almost right to the end. Things are dire you must save us but first cook this stew and give it to the hungry guards.

I really wish they would have given the Gaius commanders their own story arcs to be honest. They were kind of interesting and should have been fleshed out more.

I am curious to see where they go with Bahamut and these mysterious Ascians that were revealed at the end. Funny thing is when I saw them all cloaked it reminded me of kingdom hearts lol.

Story wise though when it was good it was amazing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How much hard drive space is realistically needed for the game?

The product page says 20GB. But as with most MMO's, I'm guessing this is a minimum number.

My 256GB MacBook Pro Retina am cry

Noi

I dunno what you guys are talking about, delivering tea cups to the troops outside Little Ala Mhigo has been a high point of the quests for me.

Only half serious.

Any impressions of the PS3 version? Or is that not active yet. Haven't been following this game at all.

It's not the prettiest, but it works and is stable. If you can't play the PC version (like me!), it's a perfectly fine way to play the game.

Sakura

The product page says 20GB. But as with most MMO's, I'm guessing this is a minimum number.

My folder is 9.11GB. Might need more for first time install though.

qq more

20GB?! I'm assuming that's how much content they plan to bring in all together with updates. AFAIK it's not even 10GB atm.

Teknoman

This was my problem with the story. I can understand some filler in the beginning but it continues almost right to the end. Things are dire you must save us but first cook this stew and give it to the hungry guards.

I really wish they would have given the Gaius commanders their own story arcs to be honest. They were kind of interesting and should have been fleshed out more.

I am curious to see where they go with Bahamut and these mysterious Ascenions that were revealed at the end. Funny thing is when I saw them all cloaked it reminded me of kingdom hearts lol.

About the Garlean generals,
You dont get to actually fight them along with Gaius
?

Any impressions of the PS3 version? Or is that not active yet. Haven't been following this game at all.

Its runs great besides a few FATEs with a billion other players.
haven't gotten to try it with spells and everything turned off so that might fix that problem.

And it actually looks and runs better than something like DCUO

akaoni

Banned
I agree for the most part, but... I feel like the main story has way too many "filler" quests. The type of stuff I hate, too like "Go find this crystal." "Oh wait, that's the wrong crystal! LOL" "Go find this different crystal." "Oh lol, you're gonna laugh, but that's the wrong one!" "Oh, okay, no fooling, this is the real one."

Like, that kind of stuff is just stupid. And it's a main story quest. Or those "go talk to this person in another zone and come back. Now go talk to someone else in a different zone and come back. One more please. End quest." Just.. meh.

Don't get me wrong, some of the story quests are great, but a vast majority of them are really lame/boring.

MMORPG™

I can't imagine this improving anytime soon as long as games in genre aim to maintain a multiplayer experience with many players or else it ends up with people calling it a glorified single-player game, "not a real MMO" etc.

Cmagus

About the Garlean generals,
You dont get to actually fight them along with Gaius
?

You fight all three of them. The big guy and the female one you fight in their own castrums and you fight Nero right before Gaius. My issue was they were just so anticlimactic and all very easy. Maybe it was just because they are all 8 man fights but I never felt in danger during the fights but Gauis however lol

ToyBroker

Banned
I dunno what you guys are talking about, delivering tea cups to the troops outside Little Ala Mhigo has been a high point of the quests for me.

Only half serious.

It's not the prettiest, but it works and is stable. If you can't play the PC version (like me!), it's a perfectly fine way to play the game.

Its runs great besides a few FATEs with a billion other players.
haven't gotten to try it with spells and everything turned off so that might fix that problem.

And it actually looks and runs better than something like DCUO

Great to hear guys thanks for the headsup.

Teknoman

You fight all three of them. The big guy and the female one you fight in their own castrums and you fight Nero right before Gaius. My issue was they were just so anticlimactic and all very easy. Maybe it was just because they are all 8 man fights but I never felt in danger during the fights but Gauis however lol

Hmm...
Well hopefully they arent completely finished, because it would suck to set up enemies of what could have been four fiends caliber, then just give them by the numbers battles

I am curious to see where they go with Bahamut and these mysterious Ascians that were revealed at the end. Funny thing is when I saw them all cloaked it reminded me of kingdom hearts lol.

Do you at least
rescue Minfilia
?
This I must know.

blackflag

I think ill just go to bed early at like 8 and then get up at midnight or 1am pst and play awhile. Had no problems getting in at that tome last night.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Level 15 on my Pugilist now! (Lafiel Abriel on Ultros!)

Loving this game. It really picks up once you get past level 10. Although I've yet to be truly engaged by the storyline, hope it picks up (since I've heard good things).

akaoni

Banned
The best quest so far was oil massaging some npc.

Probably the best quest in any game ever.

Have you did Mercinne's quests yet in Central Shroud?

There was another person who I should be remembering....

----

4B5h9vd.png

Protip; Don't get on the bad side of Jessie Pinkman.

MMORPG™

I can't imagine this improving anytime soon as long as games in genre aim to maintain a multiplayer experience with many players or else it ends up with people calling it a glorified single-player game, "not a real MMO" etc.

Yeah, but like.. FFXI's main scenario/expansion quests were not really like this. They were all pretty much pushing the story further. Sure, not every single quest, but most of them were pretty important. I'd say a fraction of that is happening here. I don't see why they didn't just have the main story quests be central plot-related things that just lead you to quest hubs like they do now. But all those "collect 3 worthless crystals" or "feed these guards" could have been just optional quests to do. *shrug*

Not a huge deal, but...

Also, omfg, the cutscene after Garuda.. Amazing. :)

---

As someone else asked:

(Post Titan-spoilers)

Do you ever rescue Minfilia? I miss her. ;(

akaoni

Banned
Yeah, but like.. FFXI's main scenario/expansion quests were not really like this. They were all pretty much pushing the story further. Sure, not every single quest, but most of them were pretty important. I'd say a fraction of that is happening here. I don't see why they didn't just have the main story quests be central plot-related things that just lead you to quest hubs like they do now. But all those "collect 3 worthless crystals" or "feed these guards" could have been just optional quests to do. *shrug*

Not a huge deal, but...

Also, omfg, the cutscene after Garuda.. Amazing. :)

Never played XI so I wouldnt know. What about the volume of quests etc, from what I've heard in XI it was all about grinding your face off with very little context? That might play a role. The quest based MMO is all about making people feel like they're doing something, hiding the monotony behind it I guess.

Well that person is getting a little visit.

It's more of a quest text laugh rather than activities though, but her personality is great none the less.

Activity wise there's the bald guy near Highbridge, which happens more than one time throughout levelling, like 20 levels apart from what I've seen.There's the female miqotes at the oasis.

Still someone else who was great but it has slipped my mind.

Looks like se changed there mind

You may not use the Materials for any sales or commercial use, meaning you cannot receive license fees or advertising revenue, except as part of the partner programs operated by YouTube.com, Twitch.tv, Ustream.tv, or similar programs. If the operator of a partner program seeks to confirm our policy, please point them to this page as we do not have the resources to respond to all requests.

http://support.na.square-enix.com/rule.php?id=5382&la=1&tag=authc&policy=update

Never played XI so I wouldnt know. What about the volume of quests etc, from what I've heard in XI it was all about grinding your face off with very little context? That might play a role. The quest based MMO is all about making people feel like they're doing something, hiding the monotony behind it I guess.

Oh, FFXI was pretty much ALL grind except for the story quests. But still, they could have easily just had the main story quests be non-filler and them just lead you into quest hubs (still offering the same amount of quests, but you wouldn't feel like you were having to grind for the story. It'd be "optional."

Cmagus

Do you at least
rescue Minfilia
?
This I must know.
Yes you rescue Minfilia and its actually a really cool mission with Biggs and Wedge.

That's all in gonna say about the story you really just gotta experience it as its really great and has such an old school FF feel.

Varna

It probably wouldn't be enough context for most, but FFXI did provide context for all that grinding. You were out there representation you're nation and driving the beastmen forces back. Everyone remembers the conquest system right? I really wish they had expanded on this idea more in FFXIV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom