• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midou

Server issues aside, is the game actually any good?

Is it different to WoW/Guild Wars 2? Thinking of picking it up in a week or so when things calm down

It certainly borrows things from WoW and GW2. Biggest difference to me, is the quality of storyline for even less important quests (some even have cutscenes, but no voice outside main story).

The dynamic quests from GW2 are in it with FATEs.

It also looks so fucking gorgeous and the soundtrack is amazing even outside of MMOs.

Can't say much for high level stuff though, but impressions from about 30 hours of play is a lot more positive than I had with GW2, and I played 300 hours of that.

Teknoman

2 mother fucking hours of no server lists and 1017, I finally get in que, and the piece of fucking shit crashes.

FUCK YOU SE, FUCK YOU TO FUCKING HELL.

I don't want your 7 days of free game time you fucking assholes. It's has been 8 fucking days of this shit and you offer no solution.

Next week won't be any better, they will add more servers, blah blah blah and there will be just as many 1017's but with more people playing.

Arent they expanding server capacity as well?

TheContact

All these server issues aside, at least there's a ton of players playing. It's awesome go out in in an MMO and just see a ton of people everywhere and also not having them interfere with your questing/leveling. Even in WoW with high pop servers, some zones are a ghost town, and most of them just have people scattered about

WarMacheen

Arent they expanding server capacity as well?

unless they expand it 3 fold there will be just as many problems as there are today.

Why, because there will be just as many AFK'er holding spots because of 1017. If they don't boot people off of the servers, the capacity will fill just as it is now.

Aion proved this, they followed the same resolution until finally making people that were AFK log out.

If people know that logging out will make it difficult to log back in, they just won't log out.

Squalltdx

For any SCH's around, what's your impression of it healing in pt's. Also have any played around with both whm and sch have any thoughts to share between the 2?

gribbles

Banned
All these server issues aside, at least there's a ton of players playing. It's awesome go out in in an MMO and just see a ton of people everywhere and also not having them interfere with your questing/leveling. Even in WoW with high pop servers, some zones are a ghost town, and most of them just have people scattered about

WoW has been out for almost ten years. This game only just came out. Give it a year or so, and you'll start seeing more ghost towns in this game.

Jubern

Yesterday I got lucky and was able to create a character and log on Ultros on my third try, but from your reactions I'm expecting the worst for when I'll be home after work...

Eusis

One of the great things is how so long as you inflicted significant damage on an enemy you get full credit in regards to quests and I think hunting logs. So it's totally fine to jump in and attack a target someone already selected and vice versa as at worst you're just giving them some free help. Then there's the fates where the lion's share of the EXP will be anyway.

gribbles

Banned
Aion proved this, they followed the same resolution until finally making people that were AFK log out.

Seriously, what is Yoshi's reasoning for not bothering to implement an AFK kick into this game? There is literally not one good reason for not booting people from the game who aren't actually playing, so I fail to see how Yoshi thought this was a good design decision in any way shape or form.

kurohana

For any SCH's around, what's your impression of it healing in pt's. Also have any played around with both whm and sch have any thoughts to share between the 2?

I used to hardcore raid as a healer, so I may sound a bit conceited I guess. I'm up to 42 (I can't even play right now because of having two service accounts, otherwise I'd be higher) and no encounter has really been that hard as a Scholar. When there's a spike of damage to anyone, there's usually no follow up at all so it's easy to heal them back up to full. Honestly, you can pretty much ignore anyone but the tank and your fairy just heals them.

Pretty much the only way they can die is if they get oneshot or if there's random environmental damage. Other than that it's pretty much just not spamming your Scholar's heal needlessly since cure works well enough in most situations and costs 2x less. I haven't done the higher stuff or even Stone Vigil yet, but so far it's basically been "If you're not getting hit constantly by whatever mechanic the fight has, you'll be fine".

jwhit28

One of the great things is how so long as you inflicted significant damage on an enemy you get full credit in regards to quests and I think hunting logs. So it's totally fine to jump in and attack a target someone already selected and vice versa as at worst you're just giving them some free help. Then there's the fates where the lion's share of the EXP will be anyway.

It is still hard to get a group going for the story quest that involve an instance. Last night it was like a 30-45 minute wait each time. Tanks were at a premium.

WarMacheen

Seriously, what is Yoshi's reasoning for not bothering to implement an AFK kick into this game? There is literally not one good reason for not booting people from the game who aren't actually playing, so I fail to see how Yoshi thought this was a good design decision in any way shape or form.

Because FF11 didn't make people log out, but this isn't FF11 and this is the launch of an MMO, not kicking people that are AFK is plain stupid game design.

If you want to make it so people can always stay logged in, do it a month or so after it comes out.

sky

Does the ingame framerate limiter not work for anybody? It was fine in beta but now? Doesnt seem to do a thing.
It definitely works for me. I set mine to 30fps, because I like how it feels better.
60fps makes me a bit dizzy in this game, I think because of all the quick camera movements.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Adding new servers is going to do nothing except help new players. Those of us already on a server are screwed until server transfers are allowed.

Server issues aside, is the game actually any good?

Is it different to WoW/Guild Wars 2? Thinking of picking it up in a week or so when things calm down

The game is fairly solid put together MMO that looks great with tons of FF style. But different? Hardly. If your after something totally different or new, you will be disappointed. Pretty much all in it has been done before but its put together in a nice package.

The main story is iinteresting, while the mmo filler stuff is awful, game is crammed with more fetch/deliver side quests than any other mmo in a while.

Fates are cool, they play quick and happen all over fairly often, though they are nowhere near as complex or dynamic as events you find GW2. Most are just predetermined spawns of enemies you kill, not much variety.

Game doesn't break any ground, but its slick in presentation and visually seems more like a traditional single player jrpg. Its got tons of charm. If you are sick of typical mmo trappings, you might be disappointed though.

I have a level 50 WHM and 46 SCH right now. SCH excels in a lot in damage mitigation and does fine single target healing. But where it lacks is AOE heals. Like, tonight on Garuda, it was a struggle to keep everyone up and in high health because Succor kind of sucks. But with Faerie + Succor + single target heals and shields, it's manageable. WHM has it easier in terms of raw healing power, however... Their MP regen sucks compared to Scholar. I very rarely have to worry about mana as a SCH whereas I'm constantly mindly of my mana as a WHM.

Hope that helped.

kurohana

I have a level 50 WHM and 46 SCH right now. SCH excels in a lot in damage mitigation and does fine single target healing. But where it lacks is AOE heals. Like, tonight on Garuda, it was a struggle to keep everyone up and in high health because Succor kind of sucks. But with Faerie + Succor + single target heals and shields, it's manageable. WHM has it easier in terms of raw healing power, however... Their MP regen sucks compared to Scholar. I very rarely have to worry about mana as a SCH whereas I'm constantly mindly of my mana as a WHM.

Hope that helped.

I'm curious, do you use mouseover to heal? I haven't gotten to try it yet and wonder if it works well enough.

Torquill

Exactly, adding new servers isn't going to do shit for people already on a server.
Bear in mind "adding servers" doesn't just mean adding worlds. The core problem at the moment seems to be the Duty Finder and Instance servers. These are not world specific. By adding more horse power behind those they csn handle greater load without causing DF failure and Instance related disconnects. Once thats done they can remove the artificially low login login restrictions.

Khrno

I'm not Scholar, but I can give you my opinion too: Amdapor Keep, hardest 4-man. SCHs have a harder time to keep up with their lower potency cures, the buffs and defensive mitigation is cool, but they have to be on top of healing even more than a WHM. Same run, a WHM can help doing more dps since their heals are better.

Basically when only one healer is around, a WHM will be the best choice, really hard to question that, but when having two healers, a WHM+SCH combo is the best.

Or well, we could have just partied with more experienced WHMs today (3 of our LS were running AK but we didn't have a healer with us, so we always had to get one from the DF), an given them time, an experienced SCH might be just as good.

kaiju

For those of you receiving the "unable to load NA/EU server lists" error, make sure you are fully exiting out of the game to the login screen that shows the FFXIV news updates.

I sat there for 20 minutes retrying from the FFXIV start menu until I fully logged out, and then the server lists loaded fine and I was able to get into my server instantly. I know right? AMAZING.

kurohana

Scholar would actually be a lot better if I could actually control my fairy while I was casting. As it is, you can't issue any command while casting, which I think is pretty poor.

I logged out so I could fix the sound. Deserve what I get lol.

Since the OT2 is coming soon. I'd like you guy to post the best resource links and such for this game.

Eorzea Reborn
Their section on FATE leveling proved to be very useful. Between work, gym and server errors I didn't get a lot of up-time with the game but I managed to level 3 characters to 22, 23 and 7 with this guide.

Dimensional Death
I really like their hunting log layout over xivdb's only because I can glance at subsequent hunts at the same time.

FFXIV Guild
These guys have the best breakdown of classes and jobs (i.e. point allocation, abilities list, crafting/gathering recommendations). Their dungeon guide is also really good. : )

FATE Farming Guide
This guide seems to be more in-tune with where the high-frequency FATE spawns are located. Whereas Eorzea Reborn's FATE guide is a general overview.

gribbles

Banned
Because FF11 didn't make people log out, but this isn't FF11 and this is the launch of an MMO, not kicking people that are AFK is plain stupid game design.

If you want to make it so people can always stay logged in, do it a month or so after it comes out.

If FF11 had been the only MMO he's ever played, then I'd be willing to forgive him for his ignorance. But Yoshida is a self-professed hardcore veteran MMO player who has played many different MMOs. His level of MMO experience should have taught him that an AFK kick is a standard feature of any game in this genre. He has no excuse for this blunder.

Torquill

For those of you receiving the "unable to load NA/EU server lists" error, make sure you are fully exiting out of the game to the login screen that shows the FFXIV news updates.

I sat there for 20 minutes retrying from the FFXIV start menu until I fully logged out, and then the server lists loaded fine and I was able to get into my server instantly. I know right? AMAZING.
Yea. The client caches the failure.

I'm curious, do you use mouseover to heal? I haven't gotten to try it yet and wonder if it works well enough.

Yes, I mouseover with all my main heals and Leeches (cleanse). So it's very fast and efficient.

Scholar would actually be a lot better if I could actually control my fairy while I was casting. As it is, you can't issue any command while casting, which I think is pretty poor.

Indeed. If I could use my pet while casting my own spells... well, that'd be nice. xD

raven777

Why, SE, why...

I just got this really awesome body piece in a dungeon to last me until I get AF body. I was so excited when it dropped and I won it, and then... I put it on...

Oh come on, really? I look like a prostitute! Er, one who graduated anyways...

Really nice stats:

ffxiv_08312013_232240ivxtf.png

;_;

Vanity gear slot yespls.

I want that on my cat girl...

Khrno

I find the same annoyance as SMN, since sometimes I'd like to order some specific things but have to do it on its own time.

Qvoth

I logged out so I could fix the sound. Deserve what I get lol.

Since the OT2 is coming soon. I'd like you guy to post the best resource links and such for this game.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/117575-Minion-List minion list
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/117761-Unlocking-dungeons unlocking dungeons
http://eorzeareborn.com/levemete/ camps for leves
http://home.comcast.net/~nakomaru/ffmaps/ fate leveling map, click on the map to zoom
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/117778-DoL-DoH-Levequest-Locations DoH & DoL leves locations
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1iuss0/a_summary_of_crafting_professions_or_what_good_is/ summary of what each DoH creates and which is suitable for which class

Squalltdx

Thanks for the info all. I've only healed on my cnj/whm(33) so far. I need to get my feet wet a little with sch and see how things go. Smn has been pretty fun so far so it will probably be my first dps class I focus on.

Seville

So bought a physical copy of this game, but wondering if I should register my copy or wait it out a couple of days until servers get more capacity? Should I wait it out, or will I be able to atleast play a couple of hours?

IzzyF3

This is my first MMO ever and I finally feel the pain of all those people who were pissed at any MMO, Diablo 3, and Sim City launches. I would simply sit back and wait for the servers to get stable, but my subscription days are counting down. I tried early morning, afternoon, and just now to try to play, but I couldn't log in even once.

I'm going to sit this one out until I hear confirmation that the servers are stable enough so I don't have to continuously jab at the start button to see if I can get in. SE should really compensate us with an extra month for all of the frustration.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Bear in mind "adding servers" doesn't just mean adding worlds. The core problem at the moment seems to be the Duty Finder and Instance servers. These are not world specific. By adding more horse power behind those they csn handle greater load without causing DF failure and Instance related disconnects. Once thats done they can remove the artificially low login login restrictions.

Not to mention, I'd be willing to bet they'll let (at least non-legacy) people transfer to low-pop servers for free. Maybe not immediately, but a little further down the line.

But, we'll see.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Why, SE, why...

I just got this really awesome body piece in a dungeon to last me until I get AF body. I was so excited when it dropped and I won it, and then... I put it on...

Square did have some creepy armor for the Taru in FFXI. Doesn't help at all that Taru in FFXIV have those vacant, soulless eyes...

Uthred

Anyone know what happens if you switch Grand Company? Do you lose progression with your old one? Can you still use their gear? can you switch back? How do they get the fig in their fig rolls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom