• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think naming your character after some other character in a game, show, movie, book, whatever, or even naming your character after a famous real person is dumb. Whenever I see people run around with those names I just think to myself, "This person must not care all that much about their character if they can't be bothered to come up with something original."

I'm sure there are people who will argue that is not the case but...

ngbbs51255359f0b71.jpg

Only thing str does on war is give you more damage, parries are ass mitigation to begin with. The skills themselves have built in threat generation.

PLD 30 str gives 1% block

And that's fine. WAR advantage over PLD is it's higher dmg.

STR only is as valid as VIT only, depending on what you want.

Tarazet

Parry (or block in this case) rate sounds more useful for PLD than WAR, since PLD has that relies hevaily on blocking.

Damage mitigation, in overall, seems secondary on WAR, since he has a few skills to recover HP and a larger HP pool as well.

Then if I'm going for pure survival without losing threat on mobs, it'll be Accuracy to cap > Vit > Defense. Makes it pretty simple. Before endgame I'll probably just stack Strength and then when I get enough gear I might go back to it.

daveo42

Banned
Strength increases the amount of damage parried, Parry increases the parry rate. So it seems like you shouldn't stack one mindlessly over the other since they mesh together. Also, I'm wondering how Accuracy will play into the equation. In WoW, pretty much every tank has to hardcap because if their attacks miss, they do no damage or threat. Do you get Emnity from missed attacks in FF?

Missed attacks should generate no hate because you aren't doing any dmg. So is str not as useful for WAR in the end? I know part of the tank strategy is dropping ongoing dmg on mobs so you can continue to generage hate assoc with dmg.

I guess it depends on how much str translates into actual dmg and how much 1 dmg equals in emnity to determine usefulness.

Parry (or block in this case) rate sounds more useful for PLD than WAR, since PLD has that relies hevaily on blocking.

Damage mitigation, in overall, seems secondary on WAR, since he has a few skills to recover HP and a larger HP pool as well.

So it better to mainly stack VIT on WAR then to increase the size of the HP pool?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So it better to mainly stack VIT on WAR then to increase the size of the HP pool?

Their skills are basically begging for them to have a massive hp pool

If anything only swap out Vit for STR when your dps classes start to pass up your threat generation at that point the healers should be stronger and your overeall gear will have more mitigation as well.

Alucrid

Banned
I think naming your character after some other character in a game, show, movie, book, whatever, or even naming your character after a famous real person is dumb. Whenever I see people run around with those names I just think to myself, "This person must not care all that much about their character if they can't be bothered to come up with something original."

it's cool when no one else knows who they are

except desi

Then if I'm going for pure survival without losing threat on mobs, it'll be Accuracy to cap > Vit > Defense. Makes it pretty simple. Before endgame I'll probably just stack Strength and then when I get enough gear I might go back to it.

I wouldn't put aside STR. Most survival skills from WAR are dependant of what dmg you do, and raising STR can help you mitigate the effect of defiance, also more DMG = more hate.

Definetly tanks has a bit more versatility to choose where to allocate points.

Or boost STR so bloodbath, innerbeast and storms path give you more health.

As I said, I see both routes as valid.

IMPYm8f.png

I filled in my card during Phase 3.

UrSuLeTzU

Probably because they have to work for their damage harder than anyone.

I'll be maining monk and I know at least 3 others in our FC that will be as well.

I'm not picking on SAO here. I'd say the same thing even about stuff I like, like Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings names everywhere. Or XIII characters....

I see.. I used my gf's(it just clicked at the time) name in phase 3 but the char got wiped(some rly good memories there) and wanted to try something else from phase 4 onward. So I used the name of a fictional char I liked and my gaf username :)

Aesthet1c

I'm still undecided on what job to main. I'm leveling a lancer with the intention of going Dragoon, but in the LS during the beta there seemed to be a lot of GAF Lancers. Maybe once early access starts I'll flip over to Warrior and try tanking to help out. Do we have an idea of what the GAF FC is in need of the most yet?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I still have GLA, PGL and MRD to level up to 15. I'll decide what to take up to 50 first from there.

I'm still undecided on what job to main. I'm leveling a lancer with the intention of going Dragoon, but in the LS during the beta there seemed to be a lot of GAF Lancers. Maybe once early access starts I'll flip over to Warrior and try tanking to help out. Do we have an idea of what the GAF FC is in need of the most yet?

I was thinking of going Dragoon as well... is it going to be a popular job?

Well, Yoshi has already said he needs more tanks. But he apparently mains a healer though so I guess it makes sense that he doesn't need more healers.

I wouldn't worry about that and just choose what you like. That said dps are always the majority of players, since there are more dps classes that any other type. So going tank or healer is helpful for FC and it will help you to get into content more easily.

But is not worth it if you don't like being a tank or a healer and you will get tired of it.

Teletraan1

Banned

That is fine as long as you dont go out of your way to make fun of people who have those names. I know the first time I said something in the gaf LS my name was made fun of by someone with a horrible name. I would never have called them out on their name because its not very inviting for something that is trying to build a community. (it was also the last time I talked in the gaf LS) Personally I would choose those types of names because I am a big fan of those works. Also some people are too creative with their original names and it makes it impossible for people to say during a raid as I experienced back in the early days of WoW so now I just stick to something safe. I dont think I could pronounce any of the roe names in the LS.

Pejo

jdMeBXo.jpg

Anybody on Balmung? I guess that's where my guy ended up after 1.0 was over. I guess i can not be lazy and check the document, haha.

We have a good amount of everything really from what I can tell by the spreadsheet. Just go ahead and be a LNC and see if you continue to enjoy it into DRG. Later on you might try a tank or healing class. A guild could always use more of those.

Kintaro

I was a Ninja Tank in Xi (a pretty decent one if I do say so myself) so, I wouldn't mind tanking in this game. Just going through dungeons the first time when you've never been in them is nerve wracking as fuck. lol

Isaccard

Completely Agree.

Never decide on a class based on what others are picking, unless it is a close group of friends you plan on playing with a lot of the time.

Dragoon will be popular because they wear heavy armor, melee dps, and are fairly easy to play, will always be a lot them around. If you have fun with the class, just play it.

I was a Ninja Tank in Xi (a pretty decent one if I do say so myself) so, I wouldn't mind tanking in this game. Just going through dungeons the first time when you've never been in them is nerve wracking as fuck. lol

This is why I plan on leveling a tank as my second class. I want to learn the dungeons/bosses as a healer before taking on the tanking role (which is often the leader of the group). I mean, so I'll know where I should be going and what to look out for mainly.

Croyles

I was a Paladin in FFXI and absolutely loved how easy it was to get into parties with it, not sure if I want to be a tank again though. It'd be fun but maybe I should try something else.

Kintaro

Unlike others though, I didn't mind the wait in duty finder as DPS. I was questing, leveling up another class or leveling up a gatherer. Tons of stuff to do!

Enthus

http://fandango.exp.jp/name-generator.php

What, you're not a fan of people being named Dynhaemr Garaoefyrsyn? Clearly you "don't care that much about your character because you couldn't bother with coming up with something original", you name casual!

Hellsguard Roegadyn have it easy. I tried to make my Sea Wolf Roegadyn name pronounceable. Roehanth Bloelaksyn isn't too bad, especially compared to the dozens I skipped before it.

Skilletor

I think people that "care" about some virtual avatars are weird, but that's just me.

It's just a toon I'm using to run around in the world. I care more about how it looks than my name.

Certainly don't have any emotions tied up into it.

the last player i saw before logging off was balthier highwind. he was there and i couldn't do anything about it.

in older times, i would have just PKed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom