• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hellsguard Roegadyn have it easy. I tried to make my Sea Wolf Roegadyn name pronounceable. Roehanth Bloelaksyn isn't too bad, especially compared to the dozens I skipped before it.

I went Hellsguard for the stats and followed the naming convention, but now I'm kind of tired of the name-anyone know when (if) name changes will be possible?

Also, I think that card is from 1.0, so that's probably why no Noctis lol

Mature

Probably been asked before, but can you change GC? How big is the GC Influence(gear wise)?
You can change your GC, but at the cost of losing all the benefits and progress you gained from your other GC. It's really worth it to stick to one. The GC gear is a nice middle ground between the best normal gear to something like double melded gear to primal gear and end game dungeon drops. Some of the stuff is really stylish too, weapons especially. They were sort of a pain in the ass to get in 1.0, but I imagine seals (with which you use to trade and get the gear) will be easier to get.

http://fandango.exp.jp/name-generator.php

What, you're not a fan of people being named Dynhaemr Garaoefyrsyn? Clearly you "don't care that much about your character because you couldn't bother with coming up with something original", you name casual!
Yeah, that's the logical jump you should make. Okay.

I had the 1.0 CE and preordered the PS3 version just so I could get early access and the in-game items and to have the option of playing on PS3. I registered my preorder code as a PS3 code and registered the new code that they gave me on PSN. I logged in on the PS3 client and it seems like I'm good to go for PS3 early access. When I log in on the PC client, I get the following error:

No valid or active service account is available to play FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Proper registration through the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station is required.

I hope this doesn't mean I can only play on PS3 for early access. I realize that I'll be able to play on PC on the 27th, but I want early access on PC dammit.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I didn't, but If I did pick an unoriginal name it's because I want to bring that character into the world and control them. "Stan Lee's zomble apopcalypse adventures in WarZ(a shit game)" I do have some restrictions. Trying to make the char look like them. WarZ(a shit game) had a model that looked like a young Stan Lee.

IMPYm8f.png

The only square I have filled in is the apostrophe one, but I'm playing a Miqo'te with proper naming conventions. :p

FireVoa

Is anyone going to be playing this with a gamepad on PC? Or would you be considered crazy for doing so? I've never played an MMORPG before, so yeah...

I played FFXI and FFXIV on PC with the DS3 controller originally so there's no reason why I won't do so again this Saturday.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think naming your character after some other character in a game, show, movie, book, whatever, or even naming your character after a famous real person is dumb. Whenever I see people run around with those names I just think to myself, "This person must not care all that much about their character if they can't be bothered to come up with something original."

I'm sure there are people who will argue that is not the case but...

I think it very much depends on the game, show, movie, book, etc. Obviously stuff appearing on the bingo card...

Are there because they're overused. I don't think there's anything wrong with using pre-existing names from other media, but people need to be aware that picking something more well known will result in overlap. Picking a Final Fantasy related name in a Final Fantasy MMO? Of course there's going to be too many. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many names in the game that aren't taken from some other media.

I did one of each. Miyara for my first name, because that was my character's name in FFXI, and was made when one of the original FFXI random names caught my eye and I changed it to Miyara (can't even remember what it was originally, except it started with M).

Then I went with Dantes for my last name because it's the last name of a character in one of my favorite novels. Not to mention "Miyara Dantes" has a nice flow to it.

Is anyone going to be playing this with a gamepad on PC? Or would you be considered crazy for doing so? I've never played an MMORPG before, so yeah...

I have tried a few times to use my PS3 controller with the game on the PC version, but... something just feels so weird about it. The controls are actually pretty original/good for this type of game, but it just feels so much easier to use a keyboard. A lot of the time, I'd accidentally press L1 instead of R1 when trying to use an ability, lol.

I might give it another try later, but I'll probably stick with mouse/keyboard for important events.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think people that "care" about some virtual avatars are weird, but that's just me.

It's just a toon I'm using to run around in the world. I care more about how it looks than my name.

Certainly don't have any emotions tied up into it.
Gokuxxxsephiroth lannister confirmed

frequency

That is fine as long as you dont go out of your way to make fun of people who have those names. I know the first time I said something in the gaf LS my name was made fun of by someone with a horrible name. I would never have called them out on their name because its not very inviting for something that is trying to build a community. (it was also the last time I talked in the gaf LS) Personally I would choose those types of names because I am a big fan of those works. Also some people are too creative with their original names and it makes it impossible for people to say during a raid as I experienced back in the early days of WoW so now I just stick to something safe. I dont think I could pronounce any of the roe names in the LS.

Oh you can play the game however you want. It is your character and your $15/month to do with as you please. It is just a (I admit) prejudice I have.

In the end, if you are a nice player, whatever you name yourself (unless it's offensive) doesn't matter at all.

I would not "make fun" of someone's name choice.

I think it very much depends on the game, show, movie, book, etc. Obviously stuff appearing on the bingo card...

Are there because they're overused. I don't think there's anything wrong with using pre-existing names from other media, but people need to be aware that picking something more well known will result in overlap. Picking a Final Fantasy related name in a Final Fantasy MMO? Of course there's going to be too many. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many names in the game that aren't taken from some other media.

I did one of each. Miyara for my first name, because that was my character's name in FFXI, and was made when one of the original FFXI random names caught my eye and I changed it to Miyara (can't even remember what it was originally, except it started with M).

Then I went with Dantes for my last name because it's the last name of a character in one of my favorite novels. Not to mention "Miyara Dantes" has a nice flow to it.

There are always exceptions but I can't help my initial impressions. Of course initial impressions are just that. Initial. It is easily overcome by how you act and play.

The only way to play this game is with a controller.

I played FFXI and FFXIV on PC with the DS3 controller originally so there's no reason why I won't do so again this Saturday.

I have tried a few times to use my PS3 controller with the game on the PC version, but... something just feels so weird about it. The controls are actually pretty original/good for this type of game, but it just feels so much easier to use a keyboard. A lot of the time, I'd accidentally press L1 instead of R1 when trying to use an ability, lol.

I might give it another try later, but I'll probably stick with mouse/keyboard for important events.

Cool. I'll try it out with my wired 360 controller first, since I've read of native gamepad support for it.

Bingo card kind of cheats by using 3 spots for GOT names.

And I'm shocked one of those 3 names isn't "Snow"

Nobody liked FFXIII.

You can tell which FF games were liked by which names are frequently seen and used. I guess this means I should feel relieved that I didn't see anyone named Squall.

Mature

I think people that "care" about some virtual avatars are weird, but that's just me.

It's just a toon I'm using to run around in the world. I care more about how it looks than my name.

Certainly don't have any emotions tied up into it.
I think, like anything else you might spend hundreds, if not, thousands of hours working on and paying for, you might end up a bit intrinsically attached to it. =)

Fjord

Their skills are basically begging for them to have a massive hp pool

If anything only swap out Vit for STR when your dps classes start to pass up your threat generation at that point the healers should be stronger and your overeall gear will have more mitigation as well.

STR
Storm's Path - 50% of damage done as healing
Mercy Stroke - Easier to land with more STR
Bloodbath - 25% of damage done as healing
Inner Beast - 300% of damage done as healing
Second Wind - Heal depends on attack power

VIT
Thrill of Battle - +20% health
Mercy Stroke - Heals 20% of your health
Defiance - +25% health

I think that strength offers stronger mitigation. Especially with Second Wind changed from %hp to attack power. It also offers more DPS for more threat and faster kills/leveling. Would you rather be str or vit with buffs like +evasion and +crit? Earlier we were probably thinking VIT powered your skills and made you more efficient, but it seems to be mostly back into its traditional role of anti burst. Remember the only time an extra 200hp does anything is when you're below 200hp.

I recommend leveling up with all 30 points into STR. Although cutting edge raiders will likely have 30 VIT instead (unless the battles end up more endurance than burst).

Zidy

I will be. The game is very relaxing with a DS3. Perhaps, for more intensive things, I'll use my keyboard. I found it much more enjoyable with a gamepad.

Meicyn

Gold Member
This is why I plan on leveling a tank as my second class. I want to learn the dungeons/bosses as a healer before taking on the tanking role (which is often the leader of the group). I mean, so I'll know where I should be going and what to look out for mainly.
And I'm of the exact opposite feeling. I love tanking in MMOs, and this is the best time to tank - no one knows strategies for content in what is basically a new game. Players will be at their most lenient because everyone is learning.

Discovery is a major component of a new game. Imagine how good it feels when you're the tank and you lead a team to their success on the first try of a dungeon. Don't be afraid of failure. If the party wipes, so what? Everyone's learning. Enjoy the early moments of an MMO while they last. Once most of the content has been beaten, the leniency for mistakes starts shrinking, and people start min-maxing.

Eusis

Someone managed to get both the PC and PS3 CE in their hands:
https://twitter.com/LuciferBiscuit/media/grid

Also, did anyone get their Before Meteor soundtrack? I wonder if it's worth the 50 bucks to get it down the road.
That artbook makes it. That CD however would be "I'm canceling my preorder" worthy if the artbook weren't up to snuff, good thing it's not the centerpiece. Six track CD in a CE that's $40 over base price what in the fuck.

I essentially named myself Bacon McBaconstein, kind of happy my friends are forcing me to reroll on a different server(which may end up being ultros, cause honestly, fuck those guys, i had like 4 stacks of HQ iron in my bags.) At least i can clean the name up a bit and my appearance.

And I'm of the exact opposite feeling. I love tanking in MMOs, and this is the best time to tank - no one knows strategies for content in what is basically a new game. Players will be at their most lenient because everyone is learning.

Discovery is a major component of a new game. Imagine how good it feels when you're the tank and you lead a team to their success on the first try of a dungeon. Don't be afraid of failure. If the party wipes, so what? Everyone's learning. Enjoy the early moments of an MMO while they last. Once most of the content has been beaten, the leniency for mistakes starts shrinking, and people start min-maxing.

I probably should have said that I'm leveling a healer first and foremost because that is my preferred role in MMOs (healing/support). I usually level tanks a bit later after playing as a healer for a long time. But it is nice knowing the dungeons before going through as a tank. :p

I technically already have a 50 WHM, but I'm leveling up Arcanist/Scholar as my focus when I get back in the game.

RK9039

M/KB > Controller.

Come at me.

I tried using the controller once, it is really good. I will check it out again.

frequency

Only if you like getting hit by AOE attacks.

Your character doesn't stand in place and turn when you hold the stick in L or R direction. They instantly turn in that direction and run (as you would expect of a third person game with analog controls). It's not like A and D on a keyboard where you stand in place and spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom