• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khrno

Ok one more. I bought the digital DD, but the only items I saw show up were the pre-ordering ones. I take it the DD items are just linked to the code I put in to get the early access/items code?

Yes.

Wait, what's a digital DD (direct-download? If it's digital it is a direct-download, no?). Anyway, you got the Collector's or Standard Edition? CE items will be given upon registering the full game (or their respective codes if they come separately).

Robin64

Pretty much bouncing at this point. Hope archer is good to play with a pad! Never played an MMO with a pad before, so more than a little wary..

Khrno

Pretty much bouncing at this point. Hope archer is good to play with a pad! Never played an MMO with a pad before, so more than a little wary..

Pretty easy, healing might be the hardest thing to do with a pad, but even so many people actually say they like it and it works quite well with the pad.

So as an Archer you shouldn't have any problems at all, stand back, and shoot away!

Liethe

This game plays really well with a pad. I daresay I even prefer the pad configuration. The cross hotbar is a brilliant idea to account for the apparent lack of buttons on a gamepad for hotkey use.

Ofcourse you'll still need to have a keyboard handy for chatting. Dropping the pad to use that and vice versa is a small detriment, but it's there.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
This game plays really well with a pad. I daresay I even prefer the pad configuration. The cross hotbar is a brilliant idea to account for the apparent lack of buttons on a gamepad for hotkey use.

Ofcourse you'll still need to have a keyboard handy for chatting. Dropping the pad to use that and vice versa is a small detriment, but it's there.

Agreed. They did a great job making the pad a very smooth experience. I have been playing on my PC with the PS3 controller. I just use the keyboard for chatting.

user1337

Well it is, because the Early Access starts at 11:00 am CEST, so hope you're getting it at 9:00 am as soon as they open (assuming they open at that time).

Yea but then He/she will need to have one amazing broadband connection to download the 7.5 GB file and then a further 2 GB "update". Hope he/she gets the code at 6 am :D

Khrno

Is character creation up for Ultros? Or is it still blocked like in phase 4?

Better get there early.

They will still close worlds every so often, to balance populations. So if you happen to attempt to make a character when it's closed, just wait and keep trying, they won't be locked indefinitely.

orion434

Naming Conventions: I will be creating a Female Elezen Archer with the name "Jade Nephrite" does that work or will I have to choose a diferent surname?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Veteran reward question:

I know on the 27th or so if I pay for 60 days up front I'll get the rewards day 1.

My question is if I switch to a monthly plan after will I get the 90 day rewards on day 60 on so on (excluding the 30 free days)?

Kyari

Is character creation up for Ultros? Or is it still blocked like in phase 4?

I do worry that servers will get locked again, it's like square has no perception of existing friends playing together.
I also worry they'll make too many extra servers in an attempt to fix the problem resulting in a diluted player base and eventually server merges.

TheContact

Or buy a chat pad for ps3 controller

Khrno

Yea but then He/she will need to have one amazing broadband connection to download the 7.5 GB file and then a further 2 GB "update". Hope he/she gets the code at 6 am :D

Oh.. you are right, although if he has the OB client, it's just a 1GB patch.

Why do you say 2GB? The patch was just 1GB.

Croyles

Thinking of choosing Archer/Bard. I reckon there are probably already a shit ton of Dragoons, Warrior BLM, WHM etc out there so thought I'd do something else, and I played as a Paladin tank in FFXI for like a year.

So Archer is a ranged DPS and Bard is a support role. Are they actually good at both, as in, are Bard's needed in parties?

theta11

I do worry that servers will get locked again, it's like square has no perception of existing friends playing together.
I also worry they'll make too many extra servers in an attempt to fix the problem resulting in a diluted player base and eventually server merges.

I don't think it's going to be much of a problem as open beta. I expect the concurrent players to be somewhere between Phase 3 and Open Beta.

Omnicent

Thinking of choosing Archer/Bard. I reckon there are probably already a shit ton of Dragoons, Warrior BLM, WHM etc out there so thought I'd do something else, and I played as a Paladin tank in FFXI for like a year.

So Archer is a ranged DPS and Bard is a support role. Are they actually good at both, as in, are Bard's needed in parties?

BRD is DPS with very minor support capabilities. Even more so after they removed CNJ and changed it to PGL for cross-class actions available to BRD.
At this point there is no reason to not be a BRD over ARC in a group, unless you want/need some extra survivabilty (MRD, Stone Skin, Protect, etc, so ).
Solo though you will probably be better of as an ARC.

user1337

Oh.. you are right, although if he has the OB client, it's just a 1GB patch.

Why do you say 2GB? The patch was just 1GB.

I recall the original file being around 7 Gigs for the client, then a 1.7 gig patch, and now a new 750 meg patch or something.

Edit: unless the 1.7 gig patch I downloaded last night was 1 + 750 from today?

Khatoz

This game comes out but I don't know if I should start it or wait to register my key until I know I can play it. I have a CISSP test I have to study for. I plan on playing on Ultros. I just know I'll feel behind everyone if I don't play at the star. I know if I start this game it will affect me studying for the CISSP test though.

Go study Trojita, remember the first rule of playing a MMORPG is that Real Life always comes first, the game will be here waiting and it can be your reward for passing your CISSP certification!

Khrno

Veteran reward question:

I know on the 27th or so if I pay for 60 days up front I'll get the rewards day 1.

My question is if I switch to a monthly plan after will I get the 90 day rewards on day 60 on so on (excluding the 30 free days)?

Yes, they carry over, you just have to be subscribed for that total amount of time, the difference is when you get the rewards.

I don't know what would happen if you skip paying a month and then come back the next one, maybe the count resets or something. Anyway, there will be more details about that soon.

mystigiandoll

Neo Member
Ok quick question for those of you with 2 PS3 orders in one house, how exactly are you handling it?

During open beta my wife linked her SE account with my PSN account which I didnt think would be a problem because I would be doing the same for early access but when I entered in my early access code (have not entered in our second one yet) and launched the game it automatically defaulted to her SE account and I kind of stopped there before logging in to figure out what is going on. Anyone have any good info on this? I remember the press release from July 11th stating you could link multiple SE accounts to one PSN account but I am not sure how that is working out here.

Khrno

Well scrap all what we were talking with user1337 lol

I'm screwed they're not giving them out and they open at 10. I don't have any client so full download hurray.

Have you paid already? Can't you just cancel that order and get it from Amazon (or another online retailer instead)?

Croyles

BRD is DPS with very minor support capabilities. Even more so after they removed CNJ and changed it to PGL for cross-class actions available to BRD.
At this point there is no reason to not be a BRD over ARC in a group, unless you want/need some extra survivabilty (MRD, Stone Skin, Protect, etc, so ).
Solo though you will probably be better of as an ARC.

Thanks. To be honest, it's probably going to be a while before I get the hang of the game anyway. By the time I can choose jobs I will probably have changed my mind anyway and go for something completely different. :)

Sioen

Well scrap all what we were talking with user1337 lol

Have you paid already? Can't you just cancel that order and get it from Amazon (or another online retailer instead)?
I haven't paid but I get the "benelux" edition which gives some extras like a pet and 2 hats I believe.

Couldn't find it in the OP, but is there a way to chat among different linkshells you have equipped via text command?

ex. /ls1 {text}
/ls2 {text}

Khrno

I haven't paid but I get the "benelux" edition which gives some extras like a pet and 2 hats I believe.

Can you show us images of that Benelux edition please?

Because as far as I know, there are only 2 editions globally, the Standard with no bonuses and the Collector's Edition. Also the pre-order bonuses that work for both editions.

do i need a new client, or will updating beta 4 one be good enough?

And wow is SE accounts fuuucked up. took way too many steps to activate this early access code lol.

teiresias

Just make sure you go into the configuration settings and adjust the targetting filters for controller play, otherwise you'll be cycling through EVERYTHING (NPCs, PCs, items on the ground, etc.) to find your target. I pretty much turned targeting to just PCs in my party and usable items.

Of course, some filtering is apparently built in when you're in a party (press d-pad up/down to cycle through party members and left/right to cycle through mobs), but I've yet to be in a party so I'm not sure how it works. I just know trying to target aetheryte in cities was a major PITA until I adjusted the filtering.

I'm assuming the "built-in" target filtering (up/down vs left/right) makes old FFXI targetting commands in macros like <stpc> and the like useless (if they're even supported in the game at all, I'm not sure).

Animekatt

If anyone needs a suggestion for getting a wireless keyboard for the ps3, I'd HIGHLY recommend this baby. I got it last week, and I'm so glad I did. It's very lightweight, has quiet keys, and the side mouse touch pad. Can go up to 33ft with it too.

Khrno

I dunno man lol, I'm 100% sure I downloaded the client for the phase 4 and then a 1.7 gig patch to play phase 4.

You are right, but we didn't need the early access code to be able to download the patch, all I was saying is that anyone that played during OB, only needs today patch to play tomorrow.

If anyone needs a suggestion for getting a wireless keyboard for the ps3, I'd HIGHLY recommend this baby. I got it last week, and I'm so glad I did. It's very lightweight, has quiet keys, and the side mouse touch pad. Can go up to 33ft with it too.
Hah, I was just about to mention this. I'm using it right now. :)

Although I use it for comfy PC. It's nice not having to always be tethered to a mouse. I didn't know it'd work for PS3 too.

Vashetti

Banned
Just make sure you go into the configuration settings and adjust the targetting filters for controller play, otherwise you'll be cycling through EVERYTHING (NPCs, PCs, items on the ground, etc.) to find your target. I pretty much turned targeting to just PCs in my party and usable items.

What would you suggest disabling?

Liethe

Of course, some filtering is apparently built in when you're in a party (press d-pad up/down to cycle through party members and left/right to cycle through mobs), but I've yet to be in a party so I'm not sure how it works. I just know trying to target aetheryte in cities was a major PITA until I adjusted the filtering.

I'm assuming the "built-in" target filtering (up/down vs left/right) makes old FFXI targetting commands in macros like <stpc> and the like useless (if they're even supported in the game at all, I'm not sure).
Yeah, I am definitely gonna take a look into the target filtering options when ingame again. What I did notice was that when I also had trouble targeting that Aetheryte or a quest NPC amidst a sea of other players, pressing the x button on the ps3 pad will target the nearest entity, but NOT other players. So that will help in cities at least. However it will still target NPCs like the friendly guys at FATEs instead of the nearest mob and such, so it's not foolproof.

Animekatt

Hah, I was just about to mention this. I'm using it right now. :)

Although I use it for comfy PC. It's nice not having to always be tethered to a mouse. I didn't know it'd work for PS3 too.

I think I will actually use it for my laptap when I'm not on the PS3. I just couldn't believe I got a great deal on this thing. And yep, it works flawlessly with the PS3. I know many use it on their tvs/blu-ray players as well.

Sweet, thanks katt!

Np. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom