• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sioen

Oh I see, basically this is the SE with added Helm of Light (which is usually from the CE).

And buying online from their website won't give you the early access code today?
No that's what I did, you pre-order the game (doesn't cost money) and you have to get it at te store. Buy yeah I can wait a day I suppose because I don't know a gamestore here in Belgium or Holland who will ship so it'll be here on release and give the code.

teiresias

What would you suggest disabling?

There were a lot of options that you could either enable or disable, I can't remember all of them. Just have a look when early access starts.

I played with the gamepad in P4, but will probably try out KB/M during early access and decide what to do from there. I played FFXI pretty much exclusively with a Dualshock2 attached to my PC via a USB adapter back in the day, and the FFXIV scheme is fairly similar, I'm just not sure which I'd prefer yet.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yes, they carry over, you just have to be subscribed for that total amount of time, the difference is when you get the rewards.

I don't know what would happen if you skip paying a month and then come back the next one, maybe the count resets or something. Anyway, there will be more details about that soon.

Aight, thanks. Gotta get digital CE and rank 2 up front f0 sh0

Ferr986

If anyone needs a suggestion for getting a wireless keyboard for the ps3, I'd HIGHLY recommend this baby. I got it last week, and I'm so glad I did. It's very lightweight, has quiet keys, and the side mouse touch pad. Can go up to 33ft with it too.

Nice! I was thinking on getting a wireless keyboard with touchpad for comfy couch PC gaming.

Panda Rin

Will I be able to have more than one character on the same world simutaneously with the free month? I'd like to try different races/classes out before committing to one.

teiresias

Yeah, I am definitely gonna take a look into the target filtering options when ingame again. What I did notice was that when I also had trouble targeting that Aetheryte or a quest NPC amidst a sea of other players, pressing the x button on the ps3 pad will target the nearest entity, but NOT other players. So that will help in cities at least. However it will still target NPCs like the friendly guys at FATEs instead of the nearest mob and such, so it's not foolproof.

Yeah, FATEs were an absolute mess playing a marauder and trying to target anything since no one is technically in a party I guess the default d-pad filtering doesn't work (but I honestly didn't give it much thought during the few I tried).

Omnicent

Will I be able to have more than one character on the same world simutaneously with the free month? I'd like to try different races/classes out before committing to one.

you can play all jobs/classes/gathering/crafting on 1 character, but as per your question I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer that one.

So, for anyone that hasn't decided on a server or can't get on the currently listed GAF servers, we'll be having a LS on Excalibur (a Legacy Server). It's mostly made up of the old GAF FFXI guard including myself and a number of other folks. It's mostly for communicating and chilling more than anything though.

We'll probably have an FC setup but we'll probably just do casual stuff with it and not really aim for anything, at least for the time being. If anyone is interested just let me know.

Oh cool, I wasn't aware GAF was going to have a LS on Excalibur. I'll toss you a PM.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm not getting the ps3 version, but I wonder if a keyboard andcontroller attachment can both work at the same time? I'd probably get both because I know I'd want to switch it up when I got tired of small buttons or a keyboard in my lap.

teiresias

Like the OP says, race stat differences become negligible fairly quickly, so pick your race based on your aesthetic preferences and then you can play any class/job with that character.

Animekatt

I'm not getting the ps3 version, but I wonder if a keyboard andcontroller attachment can both work at the same time? I'd probably get both because I know I'd want to switch it up when I got tired of small buttons or a keyboard in my lap.

Should be able to with a USB hub.

Midou

I haven't been so good at following everything, for 1.0 accounts that get free access until Sep 9th, will it just be available from the 27th to the 9th for us, or will there need to be some kind of registration/activation?

akaoni

Banned
Oh, did not occur to me, but yeah that would work.

How are those chat pads anyway? never used one.

I bought one and the buttons felt too small for me even though I have skinny effeminate hands. Better off with a proper bluetooth keyboard or whatever.

I haven't been so good at following everything, for 1.0 accounts that get free access until Sep 9th, will it just be available from the 27th to the 9th for us, or will there need to be some kind of registration/activation?

It'll just be available.

Always feel like Meteor is an underwhelming name for "giant world-ending god summoning spell", even if it is a Final Fantasy staple.

It's been awhile since I experienced 1.x story, but IIRC it was never really referred to as Meteor, everyone in game called it by it's name: Dalamud.

dramatis

Ok quick question for those of you with 2 PS3 orders in one house, how exactly are you handling it?

During open beta my wife linked her SE account with my PSN account which I didnt think would be a problem because I would be doing the same for early access but when I entered in my early access code (have not entered in our second one yet) and launched the game it automatically defaulted to her SE account and I kind of stopped there before logging in to figure out what is going on. Anyone have any good info on this? I remember the press release from July 11th stating you could link multiple SE accounts to one PSN account but I am not sure how that is working out here.
You are probably going to have to contact SE to delink her SE account from your PSN account. Then you link your SE account to your PSN account, and she links her SE account to her PSN account. Use second early access code for your SE account.

Don't know how fast you can get this done though, considering all the woes SE support probably has to deal with right now.

All these constant errors regarding SE-related stuff recently is starting to get to me:

sb3K6BJ.jpg

-_-

Can't believe I just ordered the CE from Amazon. Something about that cover is just irresistible... Despite the £20 price difference :(

Fingers crossed I'll get an early access code so I can start playing tomorrow.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Always feel like Meteor is an underwhelming name for "giant world-ending god summoning spell", even if it is a Final Fantasy staple.

Wut?

"Meteor" is simple and straight to the point. It also immediately brings about images to the mind of a situation we never want to be in.

Jinko

If anyone needs a suggestion for getting a wireless keyboard for the ps3, I'd HIGHLY recommend this baby. I got it last week, and I'm so glad I did. It's very lightweight, has quiet keys, and the side mouse touch pad. Can go up to 33ft with it too.

Yuck no numerical keypad is a no sale for me, other than that it looks quite nice though.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Ok quick question for those of you with 2 PS3 orders in one house, how exactly are you handling it?

During open beta my wife linked her SE account with my PSN account which I didnt think would be a problem because I would be doing the same for early access but when I entered in my early access code (have not entered in our second one yet) and launched the game it automatically defaulted to her SE account and I kind of stopped there before logging in to figure out what is going on. Anyone have any good info on this? I remember the press release from July 11th stating you could link multiple SE accounts to one PSN account but I am not sure how that is working out here.

See if you can unlink here http://na.square-enix.com/us/profile/edit/accounts

I was out of town yesterday so I'm still catching up with the thread. Not sure if it's been posted yet but there is a launcher and client update ready to download. It's approximately 1 GB.

Soroc

Man less than 20 hours now! The wait is killing me! I will be attempting to login at 5am EST and try to catch up to some of you guys since I'm starting over from 1.

Here's my situation, I'd appreciate some advice.

I'm a legacy member, have the beta 4/final client installed on my PC all good to go. I convinced my wife to join me for launch. I planned to buy a digital copy on launch day for her. Neither of us will have time to play early access this weekend so that's why we're waiting until Tuesday.

Does the current installer need you to log in to download all the current game files or is the login just to be able to actually connect to the live server and play? I'd like to have her PC all set up with game installed early so that when Tuesday night rolls around we can just log on and go instead of waiting for the download.

I guess my question boils down to: can we install the game right now (but not play of course) without having bought it yet? I honestly don't remember from when I set mine up.

Vashetti

Banned
I think this game could potentially suffer a bit of backlash (particularly on the PS3) where people just see the latest Final Fantasy title and buy it without knowing about the whole MMO/subscription thing.

user1337

I'm a legacy member, have the beta 4/final client installed on my PC all good to go. I convinced my wife to join me for launch. I planned to buy a digital copy on launch day for her. Neither of us will have time to play early access this weekend so that's why we're waiting until Tuesday.

Does the current installer need you to log in to download all the current game files or is the login just to be able to actually connect to the live server and play? I'd like to have her PC all set up with game installed early so that when Tuesday night rolls around we can just log on and go instead of waiting for the download.

I guess my question boils down to: can we install the game right now (but not play of course) without having bought it yet? I honestly don't remember from when I set mine up.

If its anything like the PS3 version, i had to log in at the main screen to begin the patch update. After that howevere you dont need to select play game.

antitrop

I think this game could potentially suffer a bit of backlash (particularly on the PS3) where people just see the latest Final Fantasy title and buy it without knowing about the whole MMO/subscription thing.
At least when Final Fantasy XI launched it actually had Online in the title.

G7W7Ig4l.jpg

Soroc

But then they will play it for 30 days and want to give SE all their money!! :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Nah. It very clearly says "online" right in the title. Anyone who doesn't see it, it's their problem.

Dunan

Just make sure you go into the configuration settings and adjust the targetting filters for controller play, otherwise you'll be cycling through EVERYTHING (NPCs, PCs, items on the ground, etc.) to find your target. I pretty much turned targeting to just PCs in my party and usable items.

QFT, Teiresias. I'm still trying to find tweaks to the UI and configuration to make this game more playable on the PS3, and getting the game to stop targeting other PCs was probably the biggest improvement possible.

Is there a way to speak to NPCs with a single button press? So far I'm having to "target" them and then pressing O again to actually talk to them. This game has great dialogue and I want to talk to everybody, but having to select each person twice is a huge hassle and I find myself not talking to NPCs much as a result.

Xilium

You have to be signed in before patching will start but I don't know if you necessarily need to have an active account. I would think that she would be fine up until the point you have to hit "play" to get into the actual game.

If that's not the case, I'm not sure with FFXIV but with most other MMOs, you can just copy the game directory from your computer to hers. As long as the instillation directory is the same as the location you copied to folder to, the patcher should recognize the files and skip the updating process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom