• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
Am I the only one who wears my headset down around my neck 90% of the time (so mic is still near my mouth) with speakers on? I can't stand wearing headsets for long periods of time no matter how not-painful they are.

Headset is my primary audio device for both my PC and PS3 right now. Current living situation makes it much easier to have headsets instead of a full blown speaker setup. I also like to be able to isolate the game sound and remove any background noise while playing. As long as they are comfortable to wear for long periods of time and have good sound quality, I'm set.

Btw...over-the-ear headphones are really the only way to go for long-term use, comfort, and sound imo.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I mean it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot that's different about this game from your run of the mill WoW-likes, which is I'm curious as to why there is so much excitement surrounding this title.
Comparing it to the standard of WoW and other mmo's that came and failed.

It is incredibly polished from the start.

There's no missing feature WoW made standard. Like SWTOR didn't have a automated dungeon finder. So dumb. The camera and UI was actively fighting against you in SWTOR as well.

Jomjom

Banned
My plan today is to finish BioShock infinite after I get home from work and then go straight into EA. What an awesome gaming day.

kaiju

Quick question:

I didn't play the beta, but I still have a beta code to download the client. Can I use the beta client to be ready for EA or do I have to wait to download an official client of some sort? Any answer would be appreciated.

Kenai

I see lots of people going for gamepad on PC. Is it really that much better? Or is it just a matter of preference. I just can't imagine playing an MMO without mouse/keyboard.

FFXI was the only MMO where I ever found a gamepad to be more comfortable, and FFXIV is continuing that tradition. The K/B is fantastic for chatting but I think I'll just go controller/keyboard like before. Best of both worlds.

Edit:
I didn't play the beta, but I still have a beta code to download the client. Can I use the beta client to be ready for EA or do I have to wait to download an official client of some sort? Any answer would be appreciated.

I think there was a time limit for inputting beta codes that has since passed.

Jiraiza

I see lots of people going for gamepad on PC. Is it really that much better? Or is it just a matter of preference. I just can't imagine playing an MMO without mouse/keyboard.

It feels like a new experience playing with a gamepad. That and the controls work pretty well although it'll take some getting used to, at least for me. My hands go full retard when switching around bars.

They just need to let you be able to customize the button bindings, fix the targeting system along with how auto attacking works and it'd be perfect!

kirby2096

Anybody else getting this?

SWnJmu7.png

I can't update now . It seems like everything with this game is coming with a problem of some sort for me ><

Oh I restarted twice now and keep getting same issue ><

Also seems like someone made a thread about it on the tech support forums.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/64704-Unable-to-update-patch.-11006-20641-20643

If Jinko's tip doesn't help solve it for you, also try to set the Compatiblility of the launcher to Windows Vista SP2.

No idea know why, but if I don't have this set when I need to patch the launcher more than once, the patcher program always locks up as it can't override the previous process and install the next patch.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Well, a lot of people will always prefer kbm like me. But gamepad use is damn good and polished.

There's no missing feature WoW made standard.

But then it becomes a question of did they implement them well.

Anyone who has done crafting/gathering knows how bad the default inventory UI and storage system are. Ugh to retainers.

Also, tab targetting is still wonky.

Quick question:

Beta is over, you need an early access code

hamchan

Really looking forward to playing today. Haven't even tried the game yet, only played a few hours of FFXI. Will probably be the first MMO I actually take seriously since WoW.

Gonna join Gather Against Fate, hopefully it doesn't get full.

Gonna go out on a limb here: Does anyone have a US 25 digit code they want to swap with me for a European one? Square screwed up with the codes they gave me on the 20th, I have called their customer service, they said keep trying, we're on it, and still re-entering the 18-digit code gives me the 25 digit one that doesn't work. If any of the European GAFers are in a similar situation with an RAAU code they can't use, maybe we can trade? I'm still trying to contact SE to get it fixed, but I am not hopeful at this point.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Gonna go out on a limb here: Does anyone have a US 25 digit code they want to swap with me for a European one? Square screwed up with the codes they gave me on the 20th, I have called their customer service, they said keep trying, we're on it, and still re-entering the 18-digit code gives me the 25 digit one that doesn't work. If any of the European GAFers are in a similar situation with an RAAU code they can't use, maybe we can trade? I'm still trying to contact SE to get it fixed, but I am not hopeful at this point.
Click your username and hover over my profile. You need the login website to be the correct region.

Item Box

Just got an email about the pre order site going live now, lol

The pre-order site is now live for you to redeem your pre-order code you have received from your retailer.

The game is now available for you to download, install and prepare for the early access period starting on August 24th, 2013.

The Early Access period will end on Thursday, August 29th at 11:59 p.m. (PDT), to allow for any late deliveries from your retailer.

There's no option to simply view all the contents of your inventory. Instead, you have to look through each tab individually.

It's even worse with retainers.

Yes, they have tooltips for stats now so you know what they actually do.

There's an option to sort your inventory so that each bag has certain items in it and not just tossed in all together.

Agreed they dropped the ball (or bag, lol) by not letting us see everything at once though.

Khrno

But then it becomes a question of did they implement them well.

Anyone who has done crafting/gathering knows how bad the default inventory UI and storage system are. Ugh to retainers.

Also, tab targetting is still wonky.

Tab targeting works perfectly, even sub-target filters that you can key bind. What are you talking about?

Retainers work well, my only inventory issue is that there's no option to have a list view to display everything with a small icon and name, and in the same window. Oh and sorting.

raven777

I might consider buying a new headset..currently using the playstation wireless one (not the pulse, the older one) but the battery is annoying.

hamchan

Oh are the regions split up by what key we used or can we choose servers once we're in? Because I think I used a Europe key after buying it from GMG but I'd have preferred a US one.

akaoni

Banned
Plus don't worry if your game isn't getting delivered on time. If you use an early access code you get a grace period to the 30th or something.

Kenai

You are right I just tried to enter it. The code was in my spam folder and I never knew I had it, FML.

I got a preorder code from my GS receipt that i thought was just for my SE items, but it also enabled me to update my game and be ready for early access launch, so that might be an option if you want to play late tonight/tomorrow or w/e. Even if you have the game preordered somewhere else you can just cancel it or whatever.

Holy shit at pages 54, 55 and 56.

Roegadyns of both genders are just making me /swoon. I'm so torn.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
There's no option to simply view all the contents of your inventory. Instead, you have to look through each tab individually.

It's even worse with retainers.
Bagnon was my favorite add-on in wow, but with the armory invetory seperating gear types and the auto-sort for the main invetory I'm not having the same add-on free issues I had with wow.

Khrno

I still really want comparison windows for gear ala WoW.

I don't even need to see the +/- stat differences... just show me what I have equipped vs. what I want to buy/lot/make.

I also want that, it's so easy to implement really, in the mean time we have to open the Character window, and hover over what we have equipped.

Where do you go to make sure you registered the right region for the game? WTF does SE not just have one site..it's so annoying. I got my code GMG and it was NA copy but just want to make sure.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I still really want comparison windows for gear ala WoW.

I don't even need to see the +/- stat differences... just show me what I have equipped vs. what I want to buy/lot/make.

I also want that, it's so easy to implement really, in the mean time we have to open the Character window, and hover over what we have equipped.
I also want a dressing room to see what quest rewards look like equipped.

Valnen

I mean it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot that's different about this game from your run of the mill WoW-likes, which is I'm curious as to why there is so much excitement surrounding this title.

It's Final Fantasy, with everything that entails including a story focused experience.

Hubb

Retainers are fine, the (related) problem is the inventory system is shit. Icon-based tabbed bag with no way to see all your stuff at once is horrible.

I agree, I'm sure they'll fix it/change it. Hopefully sooner rather than later, in beta 4 I was looking all over settings to see if I could change how the inventory was displayed.

I didn't find any issues with tab targeting. Even the d pad on the controller was well executed.

I think it comes down to people taking the time to set their targeting filters. Without the filters I had the same targeting problems, as I would be targeting everything BUT the mob/item/npc that I wanted to target.

reson8or

Y'know, if I didn't have Dragon's Crown and SMTIV to keep me occupied, this wait would be pretty unbearable. 2013 has been a great year for RPGs, and video games in general really... and the year isn't even over yet with next gen just around the corner.

I poured over 60 hours into Dragon's Crown to pass the time to XIV, helped that its a damn fun game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom