• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcticfox

Just finished downloading the patch. I loved the betas so I can not wait for it to start. I will be up early to watch Formula 1 qualifying so I should be able to get in shortly after launch.

I prefer using a gamepad for control, even on the PC. It just seems much easier to move, use abilities, and change targets at the same time than with a keyboard.

Allard

I'll try my hand at alchemy. Potions better not be useless.

They are very useful, especially ethers for mage classes. They come out fairly frequently during quests but they give people just enough to depend on them in group content so having the ability to make some of the higher quality potions at will should be a boon. I'd say potions are likely going to be a requirement in some capacity for high end content with fights that last longer then 10+ minutes as you should be able to recover HP/MP pretty quickly when not in a fight but if you are forced to depend on just your ability and having a Bard around for MP that extra oomph every 90 seconds should keep fights going more efficiently. Not to mention its nice to have on melee classes to spare your caster that little extra curing during a massive attack. In the original game they were mildly useful but lost a lot because you couldn't pin them to the hotbar, the stacking size was sometimes problematic, the Non-uniform global cool down, the lack of need for them on most content kept them less useful, most of that has changed with ARR.

There's no way I'm going to be able to fall asleep in a few hours and wake up in time...

All nighter, man.

-Drink green tea
-Eat something with protein every couple of hours
-Stay in a well lit room
-Keep music/TV playing
-Do not consume anything sugary, you will crash hard.

Did this for the SGDQ marathon and it worked great.

All nighter, man.

-Drink green tea
-Stay in a well lit room
-Keep music/TV playing

Haha, oh man I don't know if I want to pull an all nighter until school starts up again. But that is a really great gameplan if one was to go that route.

Get drunk, works for me!

I actually bought a 6 pack of Anti-Hero IPA just in case. Lol

Sblargh

Banned
They are very useful, especially ethers for mage classes. They come out fairly frequently during quests but they give people just enough to depend on them in group content so having the ability to make some of the higher quality potions at will should be a boon. I'd say potions are likely going to be a requirement in some capacity for high end content with fights that last longer then 10+ minutes as you should be able to recover HP/MP pretty quickly when not in a fight but if you are forced to depend on just your ability and having a Bard around for MP that extra oomph every 90 seconds should keep fights going more efficiently. Not to mention its nice to have on melee classes to spare your caster that little extra curing during a massive attack. In the original game they were mildly useful but lost a lot because you couldn't pin them to the hotbar, the stacking size was sometimes problematic, the Non-uniform global cool down, the lack of need for them on most content kept them less useful, most of that has changed with ARR.

Cool! Thanks for the answer!

There's something about being a scholar alchemist that just sounds right.
Makes me want to go to public squares and teach metaphysics.

Timeaisis

All nighter, man.

-Drink green tea
-Stay in a well lit room
-Keep music/TV playing

Or you could, y'know, just go to sleep earlier.

DrDogg

FYI

Took me three tries to get the PC patch downloaded. It errored on me twice. PS3 patch downloaded with no problem (and is smaller).

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I can't comment on the code not working, but you have to pre-order or have a Legacy status account to get into early access. Just owning 1.0 isn't enough. If you weren't already Legacy status (paid for at least 3 months during 1.0), the only way to get into early access is by pre-ordering.

Got it, so I wont be able to register my CD Key until...when? I can't see anywhere mentioning 1.0 players who didn't manage to auth their keys, only that they would still work, or at least they should've.

Hopefully I haven't thrown my money down the drain here.

Since I'm a part of the GAF guild,this is somewhat relevant and not just self-promotion.

We're doing a live stream of FF XIV:ARR tomorrow starting at 2pm PT. The stream is approved by Square Enix, so this isn't a shady thing. I plan to show off a lot of the new stuff, environments, etc, but also run some dungeons. So between the times of 2pm-6pm PT (5pm-9pm ET), the stream will be going on. If you're interested in participating, PM me and let me know, otherwise I'll just wing it in terms of the social aspect (ie, asking if anyone wants to run X dungeon before using the Duty Finder instead).

koji kabuto

I like random things to surprise me. I imagine it'd be fun for Odin to randomly pop up and Zantetsuken me.

Yeah they should have a big sign telling you where you can line up to fight this monster. I would much prefer that since it is a theme park mmo it would fit better.

Who said you need to camp ? Everyone will shout on the server that Odin spawned at X,Y in Z Shroud and everyone will help to kill him and gain a token...

End game events like Odin fight must be carefully organized to fit the linksheel/group timezone.
Number of players, needed classes and fighting strategy also a requirement for this kind of events, Players gathering randomly and button mashing/skill spamming Behemoth or Odin will make it just another level 8 F.A.T.E with higher level monster.

elohel

All nighter, man.

-Drink green tea
-Stay in a well lit room
-Keep music/TV playing

Lol I love the sincere effort to make someone stay up all night

Genuine advice hadn't heard any of this before

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I'm doing this. Not going to join in the FFXIV rat race. I'll just play at my own pace.

Honestly, i'm more worried about actually getting in before peak time, so i don't have to wrestle with login queues.

Stark

Banned
All nighter, man.

-Drink green tea
-Stay in a well lit room
-Keep music/TV playing

Just nap for an hour or 2 in the late evening. Works for me, at least!

Ok guys this is gonna be my next mmo but it's been awhile. Last two were wow and 11 at roughly the same time years ago.

Need some help with early access though. I'm really confused how it works on ps3. I put 20 down about a week ago and got no code. Went back today and a buddy of mine was working and gave me a receipt with a code to use on the xiv website. Ok great. But now what? Does that code give me a digital copy? Do I have to wait till the 27th because I preordered the disc version? It's $40 on the psn store..should I preorder on there and move the $20 at GameStop to something else?

Sorry for the long post but I really wanted to clear this up and any answer would be much appreciated. I also have tried to search the op and couldn't find an answer to this but forgive me if its there.

Mashing

So, I've decided to roll a Maurader. Never played a tank in an MMO before so will be an interesting experience. I'm thinking I'll get yelled out quite a bit and I'm worried about how hard it will be maintain aggro on everything.

Teletraan1

Banned
End game events like Odin fight must be carefully organized to fit the linksheel/group timezone.
Number of players, needed classes and fighting strategy also a requirement for this kind of events, Players gathering randomly and button mashing/skill spamming Behemoth or Odin will make it just another level 8 F.A.T.E with higher level monster.

People had little issue doing Sha of Fear in wow who was able to spawn all around the zone and you needed a full raid to kill when it released. Or the sky is falling I cant tell which.

So, I've decided to roll a Maurader. Never played a tank in an MMO before so will be an interesting experience. I'm thinking I'll get yelled out quite a bit and I'm worried about how hard it will be maintain aggro on everything.

As long as you understand your role and what your abilities do then you'll be fine. Tanking isn't too terribly tough, especially in the initial guildhests and dungeons.

And always remember, Overpower is your best friend.

Shouta

Since I'm a part of the GAF guild,this is somewhat relevant and not just self-promotion.

We're doing a live stream of FF XIV:ARR tomorrow starting at 2pm PT. The stream is approved by Square Enix, so this isn't a shady thing. I plan to show off a lot of the new stuff, environments, etc, but also run some dungeons. So between the times of 2pm-6pm PT (5pm-9pm ET), the stream will be going on. If you're interested in participating, PM me and let me know, otherwise I'll just wing it in terms of the social aspect (ie, asking if anyone wants to run X dungeon before using the Duty Finder instead).

S-E isn't letting folks stream early access? At least you guys got the approval. Guess folks will have to wait until Tuesday to do so.

S-E isn't letting folks stream early access? At least you guys got the approval. Guess folks will have to wait until Tuesday to do so.

Same video/audio NDA as from beta is still in effect until Tuesday.

I don't really get it either. It's basically free promotion since early access is the launch/retail game. I can understand somewhat why the earlier beta phases had video limitations on the NDA, but... not early access... *shrug*

As long as you understand your role and what your abilities do then you'll be fine. Tanking isn't too terribly tough, especially in the initial guildhests and dungeons.

And always remember, Overpower is your best friend.

In addition to what bananas said, tanking is all about control. If a group of mobs is running towards your party, it's your job to make sure they go for you, so start off with an aoe move. You'll also want to get into the habit of calling the kill order of the mobs by putting the numbered signs above their head, it's good for people with CC abilities like sleep so they know which mob to immobilize.

The Wanderer's Palace bug is kind of a big deal. It looks like at least a level 40-ish dungeon so hopefully they get that fixed soon before many people get to that point.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
My body is READY!

8uXGRxA.jpg

OM NOM NOM NOM!

FinKL

Didn't see this mentioned, but do you need exactly 1 Healer/Tank & 2 DPS for dungeons/duty finder? Can you do it with 3 DPS 1 Healer for example?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom