• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zozobra

Oh god, I'm suffering from some severe internal conflict about whether or not I want to start playing this game. I really enjoyed the open beta, but I was dangerously addicted to XI back in the day.

Do you guys think the end-game for FFXIV will be a loot-treadmill like how WoW is? That really turned me off of that game.

Giggzy

I've only played phase 4 for a couple hours, and I've read the OP but I'm still confused on a few things, mainly crafting.

So how do professions work? They're considered separate jobs?(classes?) How do you train in them? Have to make a new character just for crafting purposes?

Quoting myself just because it was at the end of last page :)

Have they elaborated any more on how 1.0 CE owners get their ARR CE items? WIll we have codes emailed to us? Does anyone with that 1.0 CE helmet automatically get the ARR stuff? Will I log in tomorrow and just have it waiting for me like the Legacy chocobo was?

I think this is the plan but it might not be tomorrow, might not be until actual launch.

Oh I also picked up some FFXIV bottled water today from Costco.

UeXYx7m.jpg

chrono01

The launcher for A Realm Reborn is amazing. I was downloading the patch at 2.60MB/sec. The whole process took no more than 10 minutes. I'm impressed!

I'm relieved to see that the Pre-Order Code [seemingly] applied correctly, since I see the prompt to wait until Early Access to play the game [and not a service error]. So it seems as though I'm ready to go! I'm not sure how much time I'll get to play this weekend, though. Things will be pretty hectic here. ~_~

Slathe

Quoting myself just because it was at the end of last page :)

Don't have to make a new character for anything. You can switch to any of the classes, including the crafting and gathering classes, which are their own 50 level classes.

Crafting itself is essentially a turn-based game. Items have durability, and each action you take reduces the durability by a set amount (usually 10). Each action can improve an items quality or move towards completing it, and if you don't finish before durability runs out, the item breaks. It's really interesting, actually, balancing all the different skills to get a better quality product but still completing it on time.

erawsd

Oh god, I'm suffering from some severe internal conflict about whether or not I want to start playing this game. I really enjoyed the open beta, but I was dangerously addicted to XI back in the day.

Do you guys think the end-game for FFXIV will be a loot-treadmill like how WoW is? That really turned me off of that game.

At this point we don't know exactly what end game will be like; the betas havent given us much content beyond level 20. The hints we've been given do suggest a WoW-like experience where you raid one dungeon for gear so that you can progress to the next one.

Do we know how the PS3 version runs? Sorry if it's already been mentioned. Not sure whether to buy the PC version to run on standard settings on my laptop, or get the PS3 version.

Zozobra

At this point we don't know exactly what end game will be like; the betas havent given us much content beyond level 20. The hints we've been given do suggest a WoW-like experience where you raid one dungeon for gear so that you can progress to the next one.

Thanks for the reply, that helps make my decision easier.

DrDogg

Do we know how the PS3 version runs? Sorry if it's already been mentioned. Not sure whether to buy the PC version to run on standard settings on my laptop, or get the PS3 version.

I have the PC version, but was so pleasantly surprised with the PS3 performance, I decided to make that my platform of choice (until the PS4 version hits).

The PC version is gorgeous maxed out at 1080p so if you have something capable of running it, get that! No idea on the PS3 version personally but lots of PS3 people playing it so I imagine it plays decently.

inner-G

Banned
I hate MMOs and have never been able to get into one. I don't usually game online at all.

For some reason though, I have a strong urge to pick this up. What should I do????

Nags

Banned
There is an update to download already on PS3.
I suggest doing it now if anyone has the digital version pre-ordered on PSN.

I hate MMOs and have never been able to get into one. I don't usually game online at all.

For some reason though, I have a strong urge to pick this up. What should I do????

Well there's a pretty nicely presented story here to go along with the usual MMO fair, so if you're an FF fan for the stories/characters it might be worth a try.

The PC version is gorgeous maxed out at 1080p so if you have something capable of running it, get that! No idea on the PS3 version personally but lots of PS3 people playing it so I imagine it plays decently.

Yeah, that's why I'm unsure. My laptop can only run it on standard, but I got a score of 6000 on the benchmark so it seems fine. I'm just not sure how the PS3 version would compare to standard laptop config on the PC version.

Part of me wants to get the PS3 version and then jump to the PS4 version, but then I assume I could also jump from the PC version to PS4 when it comes?

gillty

Banned
Yeah, that's why I'm unsure. My laptop can only run it on standard, but I got a score of 6000 on the benchmark so it seems fine. I'm just not sure how the PS3 version would compare to standard laptop config on the PC version.

Part of me wants to get the PS3 version and then jump to the PS4 version, but then I assume I could also jump from the PC version to PS4 when it comes?
PS3 version runs at above 30FPS but is a paltry 544x9xx resolution and makes heavy use of animation frame skipping, overall I couldn't do it for more than a few minutes without eye strain, its impressive though considering what it is running on.

This is my first MMO and it looks fun as hell, plus it has that Final Fantasy flair, so if you're a fan of FF you should give it a try!

chrono01

Yes, you should be able to jump from the PC to the PS4 when that time comes as long as you purchase that version [and subsequently link it to your "main" account].

For now [given your specs] I'd still recommend the PC, if just for the superior control [in my personal opinion]. The PS3 version runs, more-or-less [from what I've seen] at/near the Standard PC settings, so the two should be very comparable. Obviously, if you can run it at an even higher setting on the PC, it will look even better.

Buy it. It's only $30 and comes with a free month. If you don't like it you at least get more play time than any other game out there for that price

I'm not sure your exact setup but if you have an nvidia card apparently the latest beta drivers for certain cards improved performance a bit for this game.

inner-G

Banned
Well there's a pretty nicely presented story here to go along with the usual MMO fair, so if you're an FF fan for the stories/characters it might be worth a try.
That's good to know that is has a good story, that's a huge part for me. Will it run decent on a 2500k and gtx560 2gb?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
So:
What endgame content we get?
Primal fights, HNMs, and the only 24-man raid is Bahamut's Lair?

That's good to know that is has a good story, that's a huge part for me. Will it run decent on a 2500k and gtx560 2gb?

That should not be a problem at all. I actually have no idea what settings the game runs for me. I have a laptop with nvidia 765m and just played on default, never bothered to look at settings and it looked amazing. Prettiest MMO I've played by far. If you get the PC version try GMG, got mine for $24 there. Not sure if that deal is still going though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom