• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavien

Is there a summary of the 2.0 ARR story so far?

I did pay attention during the cutscenes, but after reading 1.0's detailed summary/lore, I'm curious to see how it relates.

A few 2.0 spoilers (up to level 20 storyline):

After first riding an airship, a cutscene played with 2 villains.
Were these 2 villains in 1.0?
Is the one in armor Gaeus? What was he planning to do exactly?

Yes the one in red is Gauis van Baelsar, he leads a legion of garlean troops in ala mhigo (former independent city state which got invaded by the empire). They are gearing up for another invasion of Eozea, but apparently things all stopped for 5 years because of a succession crisis back in the empire, i assume thats resolved since the empire is going to start invading again.

There is speculation that the thing thats being carried in the cutscene is Omega Weapon, what the empire would use it for is anyones guess

Boss Man

Have a weird couple of weeks between school and work right now where I can't afford to buy the game, but I do have a couple of pre-order codes if anyone has the game but no early access.

gillty

Banned
So gaf is grouping up on ultros? I cant tell. :(
Dur = JP, Rag = EU, Sar = Existing GAF Community (NA), Ultros = New Server (NA)
Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ffxiv-gaf/
(To run FFXIV with the steam overlay go to “Games” > “Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library” and add the executable. With the steam overlay it is easy to use steam chat and browser without tabbing out.)

NeoGAF Player List (See the directions above and below the list)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqJ0t4fudwPtdFJ4RW5qV3JtU1pUR3IzendzUmRVaVE#gid=1

NeoGAF Linkshells and Free Companies
(By World)

Durandal
Linkshell: Nocturne
Leader: jijidasu (Aki Rouscelia)
Guild Website:: http://nocturne.guildwork.com/

Ragnarok
Linkshell: Warriors of Chaos
Leader: Khrno (Khrno Abaddon), ebil (Ebil Elebil)
Guild Website: n/a

Sargatanas
Linkshell: NeoBelieve
Free Company: Red Dot
Leaders: kiryogi (Eithne Rain), Ravidrath (Ravidrath Astolph), Omlet (Mishaela Aveeli), and a non-Gaffer (Mac Aroni)
Guild Website: http://reddot.guildwork.com/

Ultros
Linkshell: Gather Against Fate
Free Company: Gather Against Fate
Leaders: androidcandy (Strawberry Shortcake), Capell (Capell Percipere), Paprikka (Safflower Amariyo), ROBOKITTYZILLA (Maple Cookie), theta11 (Xarielle Randgris)
Guild Website: http://neogaf.guildwork.com/

As described under “Getting Started” in the first post, Legacy characters are currently restricted to legacy servers. Even when the server transfer service becomes available, they will be unable to move to “new” servers for several months. New characters can be made on either new or legacy servers. The primary difference is that no character on new servers will be older than than the Phase 4 Beta. Measure the pros and cons of both, though minor and temporary, and make a decision for yourself.

Are we going to need to rejoin the LInkshells from Phase 4, or are we still going to be in them? Other than starting up a Free Company now.

SGRemy

ugh! anybody having trouble redeeming their early release code?

i registered one yesterday but it was for my ancient square account. today i registered a new code on my current square account but it keeps saying error.....not good on the eve of the prerelease

is the client really only 9gb? it feels way too small..

We don't have that many zones yet; 9GB is about what I'd expect for a game with XIV's level of graphics but a world that's only about the size of vanilla WoW. Remember, the WoW client is huge because it's a decade old with four full expanions and four completed patch cycles. XIV is essentially a rebooted game that may as well be on its initial release, without any expansions.

I think it unpacks into the 20GB range...

Nope, it's just nine gigs, straight up.

fleck0

Probably a dumb question but despite all the flowcharts I'm not positive if I'm legacy or not, I think I may be.

Is it enough that in phase 4 I had a character available labeled Legacy on Sargeras? I never played them last week because the server was full when I first got in and my new Ultros char has far surpassed him. I was pretty close to the 3 month cut off when I decided to try 1.0 out, but I think I bought 3 months off the bat, i definitely didn't play that long though.

I'm finally at home and patching. I have to say, the download speed of the patcher just flies along. It's hard to believe that Squenix could have gotten something right.

gillty

Banned
Probably a dumb question but despite all the flowcharts I'm not positive if I'm legacy or not, I think I may be.

Is it enough that in phase 4 I had a character available labeled Legacy on Sargeras? I never played them last week because the server was full when I first got in and my new Ultros char has far surpassed him. I was pretty close to the 3 month cut off when I decided to try 1.0 out, but I think I bought 3 months off the bat.

Legacy Character= Any Character from 1.0

Legacy Account aka Legacy = Player who pay subscribed for 3 months during 1.0 during said period. (This is the one with the benefits).

If you were a Legacy account you would've received an email a few moths back asking for a name to be placed in the production credits, you also would see a Legacy Logo in the character selection screen.

What makes FF XIV enjoyable for me is that it feels like the most FF game since maybe FF IX. Yoshida came into a poorly designed game that was only FF in name, and went back through the FF library and took a large sample of the coolest FF themes or icons, and integrated them over the old game. It borderlines on fan service but after FF XIII, I actually welcome it. It's as if the heroes are inspired by the best parts of Final Fantasy I-V and the villains are inspired by the coolest parts of VI and XII -- the soldiers from VI, the generals from XII, and the Emperor from Ogre Battle Saga. Even the new UI, from the combat effects or zone marks, feels XII inspired, and as a whore for Matsuno's masterful FF battlefield manager, I welcome this as well.

I read the long lore summary by the NA localization lead, and it felt like FF IV-IX fan service, and again I mean that as a welcoming compliment. I'm not sure what Square Enix wants when they design the themes for XIII and XV, and it's totally fine. I'm not going to criticize. But even though I love XII as a game, I don't feel like I've had much FF since IX or a bit in XI (hardcore gameplay mostly overshadowed its fan service). I have pretty simple tastes when it comes to FF: Dragoons and Red Mages, Chocobos and Airships, and Behemoths and Gilgamesh. If the gameplay has grinding depth and the story is serviceable, then I'm satisfied. And with the ARR beta, I was very satisfied. I felt like it was the best and most polished MMO since WoW. Or at least the most fun since the unpolished WAR. It's just a great overall classic MMO with classic FF themes. I'm looking forward to playing FFXIV for a long time.

Does anyone know if at the end of phase 4 ultros was open again for character creation?

I watched it, alongside Behemoth and Gilgamesh, very closely the last two nights of beta, and it finally opened up after the servers reboot around 12 or 2 AM PST on the final night. All the servers were open to new characters, including Ultros, and I created new characters just to check it wasn't a lobby error. I spent a lot of time researching the lore and experimenting with different race and class/city combinations, while picking a server, so I had ample time to watch which servers were open and when.

I ended up on Gilgamesh as a Hellsguard Gladiator named Rooster Blood that'll enter the endgame as Dragoon.

Xux

Is it enough that in phase 4 I had a character available labeled Legacy on Sargeras? I never played them last week because the server was full when I first got in and my new Ultros char has far surpassed him. I was pretty close to the 3 month cut off when I decided to try 1.0 out, but I think I bought 3 months off the bat, i definitely didn't play that long though.
You would've had the red Legacy symbol in the bottom right of your screen on character select if you account was Legacy.

How many hours from now until early access begins?

bla_1377334800.png

CaLe

If I purchase the game on PS3 on PSN, will I be able to download the PC client and play on PC too when early access starts ?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If I purchase the game on PS3 on PSN, will I be able to download the PC client and play on PC too when early access starts ?

No, you'll have to buy a PC key separate.

You sure? Once you download the client, so long as you login to the game with the same account info it should work just fine and download updates and stuff. Least that's how it worked with FFXI. The key was nothing but a key for an account, not for the copy of the game.

fleck0

Legacy Character= Any Character from 1.0

Legacy Account aka Legacy = Player who pay subscribed for 3 months during 1.0 during said period. (This is the one with the benefits).

If you were a Legacy account you would've received an email a few moths back asking for a name to be placed in the production credits, you also would see a Legacy Logo in the character selection screen.

Aww it's sounding like I'm not in the cool club. May still pre-order for early-access depending on what the servers look like tomorrow morning.

CaLe

No, you'll have to buy a PC key separate.

I bought the game on PC way back then, so I'm guessing that for early access the PS3 purchase won't help me out either...

This is all so confusing.

You sure? Once you download the client, so long as you login to the game with the same account info it should work just fine and download updates and stuff. Least that's how it worked with FFXI. The key was nothing but a key for an account, not for the copy of the game.

Yeah seriously, so confusing.

Xux

Oh, if that's the case then maybe. I know it specifies the platform when you register the key which has led people to think you need to purchase a key for each platform.
I bought the game on PC way back then, so I'm guessing that for early access the PS3 purchase won't help me out either...

This is all so confusing.

Yeah seriously, so confusing.
Oh! Well that's totally not what I thought you were talking about.

Yes, the Early Access will apply to your PC version.

Error 3, over and over and over :(

Was hoping to get it downloaded/installed tonight.

click on your user icon in the top right corner to bring up a menu then click on user settings
look down to preferred langauge and make sure it says English(US). It's probably on English(UK) and that's how you get that error

inner-G

Banned
So I'm at karaoke with some coworkers while I wait for 2am. Any songs I can sing that will hype me up?
Something by Error-osmith.

click on your user icon in the top right corner to bring up a menu then click on user settings
look down to preferred langauge and make sure it says English(US). It's probably on English(UK) and that's how you get that error
I read that online after the first time, it's set for US but still has the problem. I tried the site on my tablet and phone too.

Riposte

They didn't say anything about fixing difficulty did they? Won't get my hopes up.

Even though I worked hard on the OT, I'm not that hyped for the game. Something like them killing quest difficulty does actually have a huge effect on me. I'm glad to have worked on the OT though. It was a great experience, especially thanks to Ebil.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
They didn't say anything about fixing difficulty did they? Won't get my hopes up. (Even though I worked hard on the OT, I'm not that hyped for the game. I'm glad to have worked on the OT though. It was great experience, especially thanks to Ebil.)
Yeah they made low level content low level content

Riposte

Yeah they made low level content low level content

Low level doesn't necessarily mean low quality.

EDIT: In other words, I don't accept the low standards of MMORPGs because that is the way things have been in the past. More so when I've seen this game do better.

EDIT: Speaking of the OT, I don't know if I mentioned this, but the story links are up:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f1RVGK0nY9VC0nM779rmZrEVd43XZy5xIC0X_2SXWp8/edit

It is pretty comprehensive, giving you a wide selection of story summaries, cutscene playlists, and lore links.

Killah

Anyone have a problem with patching?

I keep getting "Unable to update patch files" followed by 5 sets of 6 digit numbers. I've tried deleting the files in the mygames folder and reinstalling the whole game but I still get this error.

Kronotech

Guys, I've got my MNK from 1.0 maxed and generally play DD's but have been wanting to be a much more needed job this time around.

For those experienced, what would be easier to transition into - PLD or WAR? I'll be using a controller on PC by the way.

See all you Gaf-Sargat's in a few hours!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Come on now. This is a weak excuse.

There was no reason for something that crushing to an mmo newbie to be at that level with nothing to prepare them for it. It's literally comes out of no where, and if they die they have to do the entire first half all over again as well.

Riposte

Guys, I've got my MNK from 1.0 maxed and generally play DD's but have been wanting to be a much more needed job this time around.

For those experienced, what would be easier to transition into - PLD or WAR? I'll be using a controller on PC by the way.

See all you Gaf-Sargat's in a few hours!

Play PLD if you want a boring job, WAR if you want a fun one. :3

There was no reason for something that crushing to an mmo newbie to be at that level with nothing to prepare them for it. It's literally comes out of no where, and if they die they have to do the entire first half all over again as well.

The only thing crushing about that quest battle was the poison. Mainly how players didn't know about it and how antidotes sometimes weren't enough based on luck. They've since nerfed that fight... and every other fight around that level in more than one way. They basically fixed the problem with a few fixes, but decided to kill the initial appeal altogether with a few more. Overkill.

Rootbeer

Banned
got called in to work in the morning... there goes my shot at hopping in early. least i can play a little in the evening and sunday

Totakeke

Still can't decide what aesthetics I want on my character since there's nothing functional really that distinguishes them. :(

Are there pictures of what gear for every class is supposed to look like or are the pics from the art book pretty good representation?

Low level doesn't necessarily mean low quality.

EDIT: In other words, I don't accept the low standards of MMORPGs because that is the way things have been in the past. More so when I've seen this game do better.

Some things have been nerfed.. like the lv 15 story quest.. and some of the lv 15 class quests have been made easier. A lot of people had trouble with those in phase 3, so I'm not surprised they made them easier.. considering that they want this game to appeal to the broader market, including first-time mmorpg players.

I'll be reasonably satisfied as long as the challenge increases with level along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom