• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

Gil is that thing which gets turned into materia and then explodes into a cloud of dust when I try to put it in my gear. I'm up to 11 battledance 3 failures on 35%...what the hell, I thought I was playing Final Fantasy 14 not TERA.

I dread trying to finish off my new ring's materia, but it's not like I have anything else to do. Except level pugilist for warrior. Is the level 42 skill useful? Because I'm not doing that. Although it's probably more likely than me ever getting Stoneskin.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I got replaced in Coil Group due to turn 4, makes my PS3 become a shit fest

I load in 5 sec later, the spiders are already down 10% health, so I start off with a disadvantage there
Have to Circle of Scorn + Flash to make mobs appear and start fight
When Knight and Soldier drop, I can't see them for the first 5 seconds, so I have to Flash spam 3 + COS to get them to appear and start rotation

I'm tasked with the 2nd Dreadnaught that drops, we get it to 20%, then the last one drops, but due to me being on PS3, I see it 1 second later, even though it's on my enemy list
That alone causes the chaos which my team tried to put up with, but I think they didn't want to be gimped with me

At least I got to Turn 4 20% in 2 weeks and picked up the mechanics for all the Turn up to the point, now to go look for a new coil group that can at least stand my problem

A few things here:
It isn't the PS3 that's the problem
My group runs with a PS3 user and we 1 shot T4 this week with no deaths.

* Loading in 5 seconds later
- The timer doesn't start until somebody pulls agro on the spiders. Your group needs to not be terrible dicks and let you load in.

*Have to Circle of Scorn + Flash to make mobs appear and start fight
- Probably due to the dickbags not waiting for you to load in. Our PS3 user doesn't have this issue.

*When Knight and Soldier drop
- Again on the waiting

*I'm tasked with the 2nd Dreadnaught that drops, we get it to 20%, then the last one drops.
- Either your group's strategy is bad, and/or the DPS is bad. In that phase, the offtank should have the soldier and knight, spiders are fed to the dreadnaught, and the 2nd dreadnaught is to be killed before the final phase begins.

Either your PS3 is taking a crap, or your team is royally screwing you by not waiting.

dcye

And Titan HM down. Why does everyone say this fight is so hard? I just stood in one spot and spammed my Rage of Halone combo over and over again and hoped the healers and DPS don't screw up. He's easy =P.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1555139/

Anyway, on to Binding Coil of Bahamut.

Try it with a melee DPS and an Australian ping. Weight of the Land is almost impossible for me to dodge, I have to start running as he does Tumult to have any hope.

Ken

i ran 0 wp yesterday so i drew my (and some other peoples) lala instead

j8l0nUFIzThEY.jpg

jpIevGHLUTEKB.png

WolvenOne

Just, random thoughts on some little things I'd like to see in 2.1.

Alternative L90 Armor sets

Assuming 90 remains the upper limit for armor, I'd love to see numerous alternative sets that are nearly or are just as good, but with cosmetic differences or some unique traits. All these sets should be difficult to obtain, but chances are after awhile most players will try collecting them, for one reason for another.

More Fate Drops

Useless as they are, the Odin and Bahemoth items are awesome to have, and amazing little trophies for getting Gold on those encounters. I'd love to see more Fate's like this. Also, Odin-Armor 2: The Not Useless Edition.

Unique Armor Traits

Probably a balancing nightmare, but if they could pull it off it'd be an excellent way to incentive people going after alternative armor sets. I'm talking like, a Tanking armor armor that has a 1% chance of auto-casting Cure ii on Self, with every 100HP worth of damage taken, or an aggro bonus, or whatever.

Hidden NM Encounters

I know Fates have supplanted the typical NM encounter, but I have something a little different in mind here. Basically, these NM's would basically just be a pallet swapped monster model, that looks normal until it's attacked. Once attack the pallet swaps, the monster's health is revealed, and the fight begins in earnest. From this point on, the NM will remain in the area for a very limited time, so the player that aggroed has a limited time to get the word out and assemble a party before it disappears.

Only problem with this, would be that new players would occasionally stumble onto them.

Anyhow, I realize most of this stuff probably isn't going to happen. I'm mainly just thinking aloud. These are basically just little ways to expand the amount of stuff for players to do, without creating a ton of extra work for the developers. With the exception of alternative armor sets, I'd be shocked if any of these things made it into 2.1.

studyguy

A note for Coil tanks in T4,
The moment the mob name shows up on your UI (there are ALWAYS small agro meters), you can take action against them even if they haven't appeared.

Even on PC, the monster names show up almost a good 2 seconds before they pop in. Arrows usually fly out from where they WILL stand even before they pop. At this point you can already Flash/Scorn whatever the hell you want and land it BEFORE they ever start moving.

Makes the Knight/Solider/2nd&3rd Dred drops easy.

WolvenOne

BTW, has anyone worked out the math for this yet?

Right now, I essentially have enough Myth Tomes to buy the AF2 Warrior Helmet. If I hold off, I'll be able to buy the AF2 Warrior chest piece next week. It'd be about three weeks from now before I could buy both the AF2 Warrior Helm and Chest.

What I'm wondering, is if the AF2 Chest, would be a stat improvement over the Darklight Tanking Chest, if the AK Tanking Headpiece was used in place of the AF2 Helmet.

Edit: Did it myself using XIVDB.

AF2 War Chest + Hoplite Circlit, is a very slight defensive improvement over Darklight Chest, and a somewhat more substantial Vit/Str improvement.

It'd be worth it, but I should wait to see if the Allagan Tank chest piece drops in Coil 1 first.

First sign into PSN, hopefully you have auto-log in checked

Then sign into FFXIV through their portal

Once you are in game and can move around, bring XMB with the PS Home button, go to account management > press triangle > sign out

Report back with findings if game is smoother a little bit faster/responsive
If it is, that might alleviate some of the problems

tried this. didn't see much difference in town areas to be honest. other parts of the game were smooth as always. needs more testing, but so far it seems the same or close. trick is pretty useful though.

BLCKATK

Sounds like somebody in your coil group needs to take on leadership. Set up times, and have ramifications for missing those times. If you have a member consistently not showing up, replace them.

Yeah I basically said the same thing to our FC Leader who is the leader of our Coil Static. He agreed but he's a bit too much of a nice guy at times and cuts people slack, but I'm sure he's tired of it too. I'm already avidly looking for a replacement for the caster that we are losing because I want to get back into the Coil ASAP. Not too much luck though.

If anyone knows someone who plays SMN or BLM and is on Balmung and is looking for a Coil Static/awesome Free Company, lemme know. We need someone ;_;

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
BTW, has anyone worked out the math for this yet?

Right now, I essentially have enough Myth Tomes to buy the AF2 Warrior Helmet. If I hold off, I'll be able to buy the AF2 Warrior chest piece next week. It'd be about three weeks from now before I could buy both the AF2 Warrior Helm and Chest.

What I'm wondering, is if the AF2 Chest, would be a stat improvement over the Darklight Tanking Chest, if the AK Tanking Headpiece was used in place of the AF2 Helmet.

Edit: Did it myself using XIVDB.

AF2 War Chest + Hoplite Circlit, is a very slight defensive improvement over Darklight Chest, and a somewhat more substantial Vit/Str improvement.

It'd be worth it, but I should wait to see if the Allagan Tank chest piece drops in Coil 1 first.

If I were you, I would definitely wait out this week's coil runs and possibly next week's before making that decision.

Only buy AF2 after you see what Allegan comes your way for the week. Especially in T1 and T2 where no i90 is required.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I think people need to hold of on buying myth gear if you are doing Coil, at leasts for a few weeks

Replace something that you know would be a fucking headache to get

Like something from Turn 4+ for you

1 & 2 drops can make you rage a little, that if you spend myth stuff and then see that same allagan gear piece drop

For me I'm just saving until I need something to cover if I can't get in coil maybe by mid-november
If no body party drops or hell even accss, I at least will have a huge chunk to purchase stuff to upgrade really quickly

WolvenOne

If I were you, I would definitely wait out this week's coil runs and possibly next week's before making that decision.

Only buy AF2 after you see what Allegan comes your way for the week. Especially in T1 and T2 where no i90 is required.

Yeah, that's what I'm inclined to do as well. Besides, I do have a few pieces of i90 armor. The Belt and Gloves. Probably should've held off on the belt, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. XD

studyguy

I think people need to hold of on buying myth gear if you are doing Coil, at leasts for a few weeks

1 & 2 drops can make you rage a little, that if you spend myth stuff and then see that same allagan gear piece drop

For me I'm just saving until I need something to cover if I can't get in coil maybe by mid-november
If no body party drops or hell even accss, I at least will have a huge chunk to purchase stuff to upgrade really quickly

At the same time, I would simply prioritize what you need in Myth first for your build.
Going nearly a month now without a single god damn Tank drop. Absolutely terrible. My partner is still sitting with a ton of Myth from waiting.

If you actually care about your stats it's just best to look up BIS gear. I've got 4 pieces of Allagan but only use 2 because I had AF+1 pieces that were better.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Eh, I hardly ever see lag, so it wouldn't be worth the extra 5USD per month to me.

Same here, but I'm in the USA.
I could see how it would be really beneficial to Kyoufu in London though.

Somebody should make a before/after Titan HM or something to demonstrate the difference it makes for you international folk.

Aeana

To go further, I would suggest researching what is best-in-slot for each of your slots. Allagan is not the best for every slot for every person. AF+1 frequently outdoes allagan.

Ken

To go further, I would suggest researching what is best-in-slot for each of your slots. Allagan is not the best for every slot for every person. AF+1 frequently outdoes allagan.

he's a pld i think so there's only like 3 valor pieces that are bis

WolvenOne

My advice was an extension of the first part of the post, which is written like a recommendation to everyone. ("You" here being colloquial.)

I haven't compared every little piece yet, but it, "looks," like Warrior AF2 and Allagan Tank pieces, are almost perfectly interchangeable. So I think for me, it's more a matter of which i90 piece I can get ahold of first.

rykomatsu

Well I got about 7k+ with party bonus now and break close to 9k+ HP when I use Thrill of Battle. I also have HQ food set aside in case I need another slight HP/VIT boost before going in. I have previous experience tanking Titan HM before but had a bit of enmity problems which I have resolved by readjusting a few things and learning Provoke on GLA as another OH SHI- button.

Aggro? If from healers, they should always be able to keep titan targetted to watch aggro. Sometimes medica 2 creeps up in phase 2-3 but shroud should take care of that.

DPS, I can't help you

Dunan

So yesterday I finally got something that even in the real world is almost impossible to obtain these days: A JOB!
sorry

Thing is, though, I got used to my Thaumaturge hotbar and the extra DoT- and healing-related abilities that I could assign, plus it wasn't too difficult to spam basic magic and do damage. Now I've got some weird abilities that I'm not sure how to use. I've lost Aero which was a great way (paired with Lightning) to start off a fight and get the enemies' HP dropping.

Any tips on dishing out the damage effectively? Scathe seems to vary a lot in how much damage it does, and previously I was using Blizzard for single enemies and Blizzard II for AoE stuff. Now I've also got Blizzard III and Freeze and am not sure how to make the best use of them.

I do like, however, the fact that the venerable "class change" isn't just a banal "you're much more powerful now" thing. But these new abilities need to be mastered in a hurry. Thoughts?

Taruranto

Leve NPC in Whitebrim still broken. FFS Square.

Just, random thoughts on some little things I'd like to see in 2.1.

Alternative L90 Armor sets

Assuming 90 remains the upper limit for armor, I'd love to see numerous alternative sets that are nearly or are just as good, but with cosmetic differences or some unique traits. All these sets should be difficult to obtain, but chances are after awhile most players will try collecting them, for one reason for another.

Unique Armor Traits

Probably a balancing nightmare, but if they could pull it off it'd be an excellent way to incentive people going after alternative armor sets. I'm talking like, a Tanking armor armor that has a 1% chance of auto-casting Cure ii on Self, with every 100HP worth of damage taken, or an aggro bonus, or whatever.

FFXI had this and it made the end-game (before lol-abyssea) more interesting.

So yesterday I finally got something that even in the real world is almost impossible to obtain these days: A JOB!
sorry

Thing is, though, I got used to my Thaumaturge hotbar and the extra DoT- and healing-related abilities that I could assign, plus it wasn't too difficult to spam basic magic and do damage. Now I've got some weird abilities that I'm not sure how to use. I've lost Aero which was a great way (paired with Lightning) to start off a fight and get the enemies' HP dropping.

Any tips on dishing out the damage effectively? Scathe seems to vary a lot in how much damage it does, and previously I was using Blizzard for single enemies and Blizzard II for AoE stuff. Now I've also got Blizzard III and Freeze and am not sure how to make the best use of them.

I do like, however, the fact that the venerable "class change" isn't just a banal "you're much more powerful now" thing. But these new abilities need to be mastered in a hurry. Thoughts?
Freeze is useless, sorry. Scathe should only be used if you need to run 'n gun.

Notice that Fire and Ice charge faster if you have 3 stacks of the opposing element, and level 3 spells give you 3 stacks instantly.
You can do something like:
Thundaga > Firaga > Fire until out of MP > Blizzaga > repeat

That way, you will be out of MP right when your thunder DoT runs out, and you can instantly switch between MP charging and damage dealing with a single spell. If you miscalculate and run out of MP under Astral Fire, pop Transpose and cast Blizzard twice.

Dunan

Freeze is useless, sorry. Scathe should only be used if you need to run 'n gun.

Notice that Fire and Ice charge faster if you have 3 stacks of the opposing element, and level 3 spells give you 3 stacks instantly.
You can do something like:
Thundaga > Firaga > Fire until out of MP > Blizzaga > repeat

Whoa, whoa, whoa; you're going too fast for me here. What specifically causes your MP to charge back up, aside from waiting outside of battle? I also have a ton of ethers piled up and have never used one -- grabbing an item from inventory in a pinch is impossible in this game. Is it worth assigning a hotbar slot to it?

So far I've noticed that Ice spells don't "stack" damage-wise (and MP-wise) like Fire does. Blizzard will just give me a solid 60-90 damage points over and over, keeps the Umbral effect on all the time, and consumes MP slowly enough that I never have to think about it. Fire II will give me increasing damage, but slowly, and I only get three or so casts before I'm out of MP. So Blizzard has been my go-to magic for almost the entire game.

I can't remember if I have Thundaga yet.

That way, you will be out of MP right when your thunder DoT runs out, and you can instantly switch between MP charging and damage dealing with a single spell. If you miscalculate and run out of MP under Astral Fire, pop Transpose and cast Blizzard twice.

Let me give your series of spells a try. I had such a good rhythm going before that I actually feel like now without one, I'm better off going back to being a vanilla Thaumaturge.

Alucrid

Banned
Whoa, whoa, whoa; you're going too fast for me here. What specifically causes your MP to charge back up, aside from waiting outside of battle? I also have a ton of ethers piled up and have never used one -- grabbing an item from inventory in a pinch is impossible in this game. Is it worth assigning a hotbar slot to it?

So far I've noticed that Ice spells don't "stack" damage-wise (and MP-wise) like Fire does. Blizzard will just give me a solid 60-90 damage points over and over, keeps the Umbral effect on all the time, and consumes MP slowly enough that I never have to think about it. Fire II will give me increasing damage, but slowly, and I only get three or so casts before I'm out of MP. So Blizzard has been my go-to magic for almost the entire game.

I can't remember if I have Thundaga yet.

Let me give your series of spells a try. I had such a good rhythm going before that I actually feel like now without one, I'm better off going back to being a vanilla Thaumaturge.

Using ice spells gives you a buff called Astral Ice which increased mana regen.

Whoa, whoa, whoa; you're going too fast for me here. What specifically causes your MP to charge back up, aside from waiting outside of battle?
You should pay attention to the dialogue :p

Basically, Astral Fire makes your fire spells stronger and cost more MP, while blocking your MP charge. Umbral Ice makes your MP charge like crazy, full in 5 seconds, but decreases fire damage and MP cost.

The explanation for that rotation:
Thundaga > Your main DoT
Firaga > Here, you will get Astral Fire III instantly, which will power up your...
Fire until out of MP > Your buffed Fires should deal a very decent damage. Make sure you save your last chunk of MP for a single...
Blizzaga > It will give you Umbral Ice III, which will charge your MP to full in about 5 seconds, enough for another Thundaga cast to refresh the DoT and start all over again.

tl;dr: cast fire spells until out of MP, switch to ice until MP is full, back to fire.

So yeah, Dungeon grinding (more efficient, at least) will be a thing in 2.1:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/112798-increase-dungeon-xp?p=1506350#post1506350

SE Community Rep said:
Greetings,

As was mentioned during the Letter from the Producer LIVE Part IX, we'll be introducing a feature for the Duty Finder in patch 2.1 that will place you in a random dungeon in order to get people participating in a wider variety of dungeons.

Specifically, we will be breaking down dungeon content into different categories such as leveling dungeons, level 50+ dungeons, and primal battles, and players will be matched for random content. You'll be able to challenge each category once every real-world day and as a reward you will receive each kind of Allagan tomestones. Participants will be matched with priority on content that is lacking members.

Also, in order to strike a proper balance between this plan and the experience points gained by participating in FATE, we will be increasing the amount of experience points gained in dungeons in patch 2.1.

Wish the exp thing was something they could just hotfix in.

dcye

To the GAFer that said earlier to try battleping OMG I can dodge in titan now holy crap. still will never pass it probably cause forever alone but am least I'm not dead weight. I had tried Pingzapper and WTFast before but neither helped so I'm super surprised this does. thank you.

Aeana

I guess this is going viral in the MMO community.
Meanwhile in South Korea...

It's a good read, especially for those of us who have been playing MMOs way too long over the years.

Even though the story ended up being fake, I think it rings pretty true. I've been playing MMOs since the genre's inception and it has always been my philosophy to help as many people as I can, because being that person who's behind everybody else who can't seem to catch up because nobody will do anything with them is incredibly tragic, and I don't want anyone to have to go through that. MMO communities can be really harsh, because a lot of people are only concerned with being as efficient as possible, not giving any thought to the future or to the plight of other players. MMOs don't just wane due to lack of interest, it's also because they can become impenetrable to new players thanks to mentalities like those described in the story. That's why it breaks my heart to see it so early and so strong in FF14, and why I do my best to help as many people as I can.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
^Well said. I feel the same and, in FF XIV specifically, I focus on what I focus on not because I like seeing a number get bigger, but to be able to help others out in my own way.

Helping people to learn and encouraging them to stay is healthy for the game and usually mutually beneficial; unfortunately, many people don't care about making someone feel discouraged from playing the game as long as it shaves a minute or two off their run time. On the other hand there are lots of awesome people and I've already made some good friends, so tl;dr yep, it's an MMO.

Resilient

I guess this is going viral in the MMO community.
Meanwhile in South Korea...

It's a good read, especially for those of us who have been playing MMOs way too long over the years.

Even though the story ended up being fake, I think it rings pretty true. I've been playing MMOs since the genre's inception and it has always been my philosophy to help as many people as I can, because being that person who's behind everybody else who can't seem to catch up because nobody will do anything with them is incredibly tragic, and I don't want anyone to have to go through that. MMO communities can be really harsh, because a lot of people are only concerned with being as efficient as possible, not giving any thought to the future or to the plight of other players. MMOs don't just wane due to lack of interest, it's also because they can become impenetrable to new players thanks to mentalities like those described in the story. That's why it breaks my heart to see it so early and so strong in FF14, and why I do my best to help as many people as I can.

I just started yesterday, and a lot of people have helped me when I've asked. Some ignored, but most people have been friendly. I'm on Ultros, and generally feel like the community is good. I have seen a few players from the GAF FC, and they helped direct me to registering on the Guildworks site. I don't know what the next step is, but most people in the world are helpful as I said, so if I get stumped it isn't a big problem. And already on GAF there have been a few people who PM'd me letting me know they'd help if I needed.

bootski

Using ice spells gives you a buff called Astral Ice which increased mana regen.

my question would be, unless i'm misunderstanding his question, how can you play the class to lvl30 without understanding that very very fundamental part of it? i just started lvling up the THM for swiftcast for my WHM and that pattern kicks in around lvl 4 or 5 i think (when you get transpose).

Tash

Exactly, for me as WHM it's legs and ring that I will get from myth and not wait for in Coil.
On a sidenote: Lost the roll on healer gloves yesterday :( buuh RNG

So much <3 for this post. I couldn't agree more.
That is the reason, yesterday when I run DF for AK I told two of the others in the group to shut the hell up when they gave the dps in the group crap because it was his first run. They told him to get out and gear up in WP first and told him to go watch the fights on youtube. That hasn't happened for a while and it pissed me off so much, even more-so since the first boss the new guy did flawlessly and we didn't even notice he was a first-timer. Only after he got knocked off during Demon Wall did someone ask.
They started to rage and I told them to shove it, explained the fight to him and told him to just follow me and stay close. Granted I am a WHM in full DL with relic and I normally run AK in Cleric Stance, so I was able to pick up some dps slack. Seriously though.
People are just assholes and I reminded them that they had their first runs at one point or another. If you are an elitist like that just fucking run your own constant group and don't use DF. Can't be said enough. Zero tolerance for dumbasses treating others like shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom