• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
lv 50 blm/brd/whm/smn
lv50 gsm/bsm/wvr/ltr/arm/crp/alc/cul/bot/min/fsh
stardust+1
artemis
waiting on my group of friends(who are logging in less everyday) for coil
really not much left to do after the weekly 300 myths farm :<

Wait a minute. Did you level all that on a new character or is this a Legacy character?

The game can be a whole lot more fun if you don't limit yourself to the systems they've put in place. For example I was experiencing a bit of boredom from the repetition of what I was up to so I set myself my own goals like seeing how many people I could help by shouting for people that wanted help in lower level areas. But I guess that relied on me enjoying helping and teaching players (or learning new things about areas I went through rather quickly).

My point is, there's a whole world of fun to be had if you start thinking socially rather than just what can you do in terms of game progress.

Teknoman

The game can be a whole lot more fun if you don't limit yourself to the systems they've put in place. For example I was experiencing a bit of boredom from the repetition of what I was up to so I set myself my own goals like seeing how many people I could help by shouting for people that wanted help in lower level areas. But I guess that relied on me enjoying helping and teaching players (or learning new things about areas I went through rather quickly).

My point is, there's a whole world of fun to be had if you start thinking socially rather than just what can you do in terms of game progress.

Thats a pretty cool way to go about doing stuff. Would be nice if those early players followed your actions.

Victrix

*beard*
p... post + username?

I did that a lot as well, and it's fun to do, but it's a drop in the bucket. I can help however many newbies I want through runs, but it's never going to make a dent in pug behavior.

Thats a pretty cool way to go about doing stuff. Would be nice if those early players followed your actions.

Heh yeah that would be nice to see. I personally feel that the multiplayer aspect of mmo has been simplified and possibly even 'dehumanized' (for lack of a better word). I can remember the first time I played an online game I was just excited to be playing with other people, and I'm sure the bulk of fond memories people have of WoW and FFXI are made up of positive and interesting interactions with other players. But the attitude I notice in game seems to be one that treats other players as obstacles to their own success in playing what might as well be a single player game with advanced (or not so advanced) artificial intelligence.

Not to be overly negative though, I've met a bunch of nice people in FFXIV already and I really enjoy helping player out, you can even feel their elation in the way they talk to you when they realise that someone is doing something nice without any real ulterior motive.

WolvenOne

I'll do stuff like that on occasion. I'll decide to go on walks, then use flash whenever I see a low level player whose HP is dropping. I'll then just, sit then, and take the attacks, so the lower level character can finish what they're doing without danger of wiping.

I rather like helping other players out, so stuff like that gives me a big kick. :)

Alex

No it's not. Six months is usually the time window that major updates in MMORPGs are happening. And we get it even earlier than that.

Problem is, outside of going all in on the OCD crafting system, the current end game content is really, really anemic. This patch is needed terribly and the game on the whole should have probably waited to launch with a big cut of the content in it.

desu

No it's not. Six months is usually the time window that major updates in MMORPGs are happening. And we get it even earlier than that.

With the difference that probably most of the content released in the next patch is supposed to be easier than the current endgame content (CT). That leaves a new dungeon, moogle and extreme mode primals. All of which I expect to be beaten within 1-2 weeks (I hope not but who knows).

Basically people that play this game a lot are looking into 4-5 months until the next worthy end game content might come (Coil Upgrade in 2.2).

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I still want to know how they'll work in Crystal Tower

CT was suppose to be the bridge to Coil

You go AF > Dungeon (Pieces) > Dark Light or Crafted > CT > Coil Allagan or AF+1 to fill out

Right now most people have a level 50 job and a few level 90 pieces put into slots already
If you got to 50 very early and used the maintenance reset glitch, you were way ahead of a lot of players for Myth tomes

Most of that ilvl80 gear might become redundant by the time December rolls around
By CT release on the average if you capped myth say from the 2nd week forward till December launch of 2.1, you should have accumulated at least 4500+ myths
If you stay @ one job, you can really deck your char out will all ilvl 90 accs or get almost the full body set and work on the accs

CT will help those players that aren't in a rush to get to Coil ASAP or do Twintania throw your bodies at till it drops
I mean some can't be bothered of capping Myth every week due to circumstance and CT will be that gap filler, but for most right now it might not be worth it

I really want to know how they will give loot in CT, that will be another headache cause now you have 24 people in an alliance, how do you distribute that w/o pissing off the whole community, thank fuck at least you can use DF to do CT
Imagine trying to round up 24 players in MD through shouts, take for fucking ever

No 1 helped me out on my request, that I posted last page, can you please take a look if you are a PS3 user

So I had a weird situation in coil yesterday

Was doing Turn 4, than I get the error from PSN that I have been signed out and it was due to a DNS error

Somehow I still was logged into FFXIV, did a few more ties and maybe it was a placebo effect, but my game was more smoother

Today in the morning I tried to signing off PSN while I was in game, just to see if I can replicate said situation and it worked

Game feels a little smoother and faster w/o PSN XMB overlay

So log into PSN, sign into FFXIV, log out of PSN, keep playing the game
You lose the PSN features, but I get a better result signed out

Can anyone else who is on the PS3 try this out for me?

Darkness Tear and others from GAF?, wanna see if you get a better framerate/smoother experience

Can you please try this and report back

With the difference that probably most of the content released in the next patch is supposed to be easier than the current endgame content (CT). That leaves a new dungeon, moogle and extreme mode primals. All of which I expect to be beaten within 1-2 weeks (I hope not but who knows).

Basically people that play this game a lot are looking into 4-5 months until the next worthy end game content might come (Coil Upgrade in 2.2).

I would not be surprised if 2.2 hits right as the 6 months subs that players have gotten to resubscribe, so that would make it April the earliest

Unless they make new hard dungeons, moogle and extra primal at least more difficult to beat than Twintania, that will become farm status by the weekend when that patch releases, cause most will be in Allagan/AF+1 gear

desu

Unless they make new hard dungeons, moogle and extra primal at least more difficult to beat than Twintania, that will become farm status by the weekend when that patch releases, cause most will be in Allagan/AF+1 gear

Yeah, thats pretty much the issue. 2.1 should have been in on release (but they simply ran out of time).

GraveRobberX

Yeah, thats pretty much the issue. 2.1 should have been in on release (but they simply ran out of time).

As weird as this sounds, their should have been a huge gear check once you got to 50

AF should have lasted you Ifrit + WP, try to get a few pieces and try your luck @ AK, but better geared you are, the better you would do in AK
Once you acquired the right amount of AK gear Garuda would become more doable
Dark Light made AK a cake walk and set you up for Titan, if you really have the gil splurge on the crafted sets and slot good materia to give you an advantage going into Coil

At the start most bypassed WP due to it being useless to run for Philo, when CM/Prae SR runs gave you more
AK was your go to Myth haven, so ilvl 55 gear became pointless, cause 8 runs of AK netted a hefty chunk of ilvl 60 gear
On top of that SR became the norm, cause who wants to run same dungeon 8 times for a hour+ each time

Not many options given to end game choosing, they shifted it with adding myth tomes into WP and buffing Philos to 100 on both dungeons, so the CM/Prae SR fest stopped (with the fix of placing mobs in different places and no more sneaking)

Now WP is the go to standard, that JP player video of 9 minutes WP has spawned new shouts in MD of relic+1 blm/brd/pld/whm groups and try to mimic that
So most DPS get left out cause they can't do that much AOE in that short amount of time

A lot of players skipped a lot of content due to it not being worth it, why farm dungeon gear, when with-in 2-3 levels it's useless
As much as I see people chase the Battlemage gear for vanity and looks, there so many people now that have it, so when you do wear it, don't think you'll be the only one

Seriously if you have full WP gear or hell Darkhold set, you would stand out more than being clones of each other

All I'm trying to say is SE gave players shortcuts to bypass some their content, without realizing that there would huge consequences of not putting up barriers, to stop them from getting to the final point in the game so far
Only Legacy players should have enough time spent to even dent Coil, not brand new server who are barely a month old and some players who have surpassed even legacy players in gil + classes + gear...

Full of content that was supposed to be in at launch.

That might hurt them in the long run

Rather giving chinks of new content that should've been there since Day 1, now you have to wait 3-4 months for it

Even if they staggered 1 feature every month, it would really change up the monotony

They could've added Moogle primal right in for Halloween and use it to keep the player busy while they kept working on CT
Then release Leviathan near Thanksgiving, so at least your player base can enjoy it over the holiday when they have free time
Then by the time Mid-December rolled around, release CT & FC housing to flush some gil away from the economy and start bolstering for 2.2 patch, which should be out by February the earliest, March the latest, and then repeat 2.3 before E3, announce expansion during E3

Now as it stand we get a good chunks of content smashed in together, and some of those thing will be left to the wayside as on those things I'll try later on down the line
The best place will be packed, while the rest of the content again will be drybone and then in 2-3 weeks repeats the cries of where is the content?

GraveRobberX

how did you sign out of psn while in the game? i can try it later if you tell me.

First sign into PSN, hopefully you have auto-log in checked

Then sign into FFXIV through their portal

Once you are in game and can move around, bring XMB with the PS Home button, go to account management > press triangle > sign out

Report back with findings if game is smoother a little bit faster/responsive
If it is, that might alleviate some of the problems

I got replaced in Coil Group due to turn 4, makes my PS3 become a shit fest

I load in 5 sec later, the spiders are already down 10% health, so I start off with a disadvantage there
Have to Circle of Scorn + Flash to make mobs appear and start fight
When Knight and Soldier drop, I can't see them for the first 5 seconds, so I have to Flash spam 3 + COS to get them to appear and start rotation

I'm tasked with the 2nd Dreadnaught that drops, we get it to 20%, then the last one drops, but due to me being on PS3, I see it 1 second later, even though it's on my enemy list
That alone causes the chaos which my team tried to put up with, but I think they didn't want to be gimped with me

At least I got to Turn 4 20% in 2 weeks and picked up the mechanics for all the Turn up to the point, now to go look for a new coil group that can at least stand my problem

One thing to note is that when I did get DNS error from PSN, the mobs appeared a little faster, might just be making it up in my head, but I really do think it plays a part

So if you're on the PS3 please help out with this problem, maybe this can help us with Odin & Behe, even a little can help a fucking lot

aceface

I'll try that trick with the PS3 tonight and report back.

I don't think it will help with Odin and Behemoth issue though, from what they were talking about in the live letter that seems to be a core problem with the game that won't be fixed until 2.1.

Pejo

Finally took down Titan last night. What a damn satisfying feeling. I didn't get hit by a single move (other than the moves that aren't able to be dodged - tumult, earthen fury, etc) in the 3 runs it took my group to get him down. Afterwards, picked up Thyrus and immediately was thrusted into Coil Turn 1. After a few rounds at ADS and some connection issues, we finally took down the snake dude(s). 2 pieces of DRG gear dropped, no DRG in party. YAY for RNG!

Overall, so happy to have taken down Titan, and I feel that the fight has taught me a lot about playing my class, and I really encourage those of you having problems to stick it out. The satisfaction of finally winning and the skills i learned while practicing were well worth the headaches. Don't buy that win or be carried!

Zomba13

Titan is hard when you have people that don't dodge or healers that die too much/can't heal right and DPS that don't attack the heart/break first guy out of gaol. It took me and some guys gear checking people and then a few tries to do it. Guy said he was sick of people getting hit by stuff, he died pretty much every run. Finally did it though. finished fight with like 4 mins before maint.

Aeana

Titan is hard when you have people that don't dodge or healers that die too much/can't heal right and DPS that don't attack the heart/break first guy out of gaol. It took me and some guys gear checking people and then a few tries to do it. Guy said he was sick of people getting hit by stuff, he died pretty much every run. Finally did it though. finished fight with like 4 mins before maint.
To summarize: Titan is hard when you don't know the fight. This is true of all of the Coil fights too. This is the point where it's hard to luck into a win if a majority of the group doesn't know what's going on.

Glad you got it, though!!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
To summarize: Titan is hard when you don't know the fight. This is true of all of the Coil fights too. This is the point where it's hard to luck into a win if a majority of the group doesn't know what's going on.

Glad you got it, though!!

It really was super smart of SE to put in the Titan fight to keep people who are unready out of coil. I think by "hard to luck into a win" you mean nigh impossible. People just need to start learning mechanics and executing on a higher level if they want to progress into end-game.

I can only imagine how big of a nightmare coil would be if it was the first major skill-check.

Caj814

I think you're okay. I would say 6.3k at the very least fully buffed (defiance+group bonus). Table flip will hit you for close to 5k hp. You need that buffer in case healers can't get you to %100 beforehand.

Also watch that video about tank placement after the heart phase. You can avoid two bomb patterns from that spot. The clock pattern will be unavoidable unless you luck out and have the first bomb pop near you.

Well I got about 7k+ with party bonus now and break close to 9k+ HP when I use Thrill of Battle. I also have HQ food set aside in case I need another slight HP/VIT boost before going in. I have previous experience tanking Titan HM before but had a bit of enmity problems which I have resolved by readjusting a few things and learning Provoke on GLA as another OH SHI- button.

creid

Pre-nerf, 1 completion 2 months.
Post-nerf, 4+ completions in 1 day?

How would you describe the change?
Wasn't turn 5 down for like 4 weeks? In the meantime people have had time to gear up. Plus these:
These are all probably groups that were already on the verge of beating Twintania anyway. Said nerf probably just put them over the edge. We'll probably see a lot of groups pass in the next few days, only for it to slow back down to a slow trickle.

I think it just seems "laughable" compared to what they were like before. They don't actually appear to be a joke unless you've been training super hard to try to avoid them previously.

Ultrabum

I agree with all those things about turn 5. But, for example, in the bg kill video 2 people? Die to twister. I wonder if they can 100% dodge it now?

Cowie

I'm a bit torn on where to go next with my myth stones..
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2261387/

finished up relic weapon this weekend, I'm currently torn between AF2 Head(with Hoplite body) and going for +1 Curtana.

Valor Coronet+Hoplite Tabard will be a rather small gain in vit/defense, but it will put me over 475 ACC in case I start doing Coil

+1 Curtana is the last significant gain in enmity generation in my immediate future, and of course, is shiny. Also, it's probably the more "prestigious" upgrade if I need to convince random folks I'm "geared." I don't really have an endgame focused LS or FC, so this is sadly a little bit of a concern.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

finished up relic weapon this weekend, I'm currently torn between AF2 Head(with Hoplite body) and going for +1 Curtana.

Valor Coronet+Hoplite Tabard will be a rather small gain in vit/defense, but it will put me over 475 ACC in case I start doing Coil

+1 Curtana is the last significant gain in enmity generation in my immediate future, and of course, is shiny. Also, it's probably the more "prestigious" upgrade if I need to convince random folks I'm "geared." I don't really have an endgame focused LS or FC, so this is sadly a little bit of a concern.

If you want to convince anybody that you are geared, I would advise against wearing any Hoplite gear.

475 ACC is only required in T4+ on coil. You will be fine with a bit less in the earlier rounds.

Cowie

If you want to convince anybody that you are geared, I would advise against wearing any Hoplite gear.

475 ACC is only required in T4+ on coil. You will be fine with a bit less in the earlier rounds.

Oh that's true, I had somehow forgotten that Hoplite body would be problematic for "looking the part."

Teletraan1

Banned

Bigger problem for me is that is it only giving us the stuff that should have been there for launch. There is no progression raid. CT is the raid that is before CoB in Progression. So how enthralled are people going to be with playing the easier raid decked out in CoB gear? People are going to be bored as shit with that after a couple of weeks. When does the progression raid after CoB come out? That is the real question.

desu

When does the progression raid after CoB come out? That is the real question.

If they stay to their schedulle (3 months for an update) it will be probably end of February until April for the new part of coil to appear. Don't really know what people are going to do until then, I am already bored now.

GraveRobberX

When does the progression raid after CoB come out? That is the real question.

2.2 that's when they implement Turn 6-10 hopefully

If you go by their release schedule it's like a March+ offering to get 5 new turns added into the fold

Then maybe June or July for 2.3 and CT gets another 5 levels added in....

Then I think they move over to new expansion and adjust the old content to be less forgiving/grindy, let players catch up easily to new expansion content
Then start the cycle again

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Bigger problem for me is that is it only giving us the stuff that should have been there for launch. There is no progression raid. CT is the raid that is before CoB in Progression. So how enthralled are people going to be with playing the easier raid decked out in CoB gear? People are going to be bored as shit with that after a couple of weeks. When does the progression raid after CoB come out? That is the real question.

This is why my coil group has alts in full DL + relic ready for the CT runs while our mains are doing coil.

BLCKATK

This is why my coil group has alts in full DL + relic ready for the CT runs while our mains are doing coil.

True that, my DRG is ready to go.

The only reason I'm bored right is because people keep not showing up for Coil during the scheduled time, so we don't get to try Turn 5 at all. I don't even care about Server first, world first whatever, I just want to see the story and the climax of an arc that I've been heavily interested in since walking into The Binding Coil. It's hard to be excited about anything else in game when all I want to do is Turn 5..

tenchir

Almost in a similar position. I have all DL acessories(1 hoplite ring). Helm, Chest, and Feet are Valor. Belt is DL and pants is hoplite. I have close to 5.7K health. Do I upgrade my Holy Shield for more quick damage mitigation, save for Curtana+1 for more enimity, or save up for Valor pants? I am already past 475 ACC and getting close to the next block tier for strength.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
True that, my DRG is ready to go.

The only reason I'm bored right is because people keep not showing up for Coil during the scheduled time, so we don't get to try Turn 5 at all. I don't even care about Server first, world first whatever, I just want to see the story and the climax of an arc that I've been heavily interested in since walking into The Binding Coil. It's hard to be excited about anything else in game when all I want to do is Turn 5..

Sounds like somebody in your coil group needs to take on leadership. Set up times, and have ramifications for missing those times. If you have a member consistently not showing up, replace them.

WolvenOne

Spent about two hours in Coil last night, with a group that was about 2/3rds Gaffers.

Most of us had that fight down, buuuuut, there were just enough players that didn't for their own understandable reasons, (lag, PS3, etc etc) that the rest of us just couldn't, quite, cover. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to escape from Trick or Treaters tonight before it's too late, and try again. Also, gotta say, while I'm not used to Mumble yet, it does become useful as you adjust.

Also, I'd like to propose that, tonight, during one of the night cycles, all the available Gaffers port into Gridania, and put on their Halloween gear for a GAF Halloween parade.

Obviously, somebody will just have to record that, if we manage to pull it off.

Edit: Ultros GAF obviously, though if the GAFFER's on the legacy servers want to do this too, more power to them. Also, I'd be willing to contribute sparklers, and put them into the Community chest, so all the people playing along can run around in max bling.

orion434

I hit 2 million Gil for the 1st time, been hovering around 600K for the duration when I was getting all my TradeCrafts to lv 50... really I made 1.4 million in 5 days. I started playing the story again, about to enter Brayflox.

In addition to Pugilist lv 15 do I have to do anything else to upgrade my lv 33 Archer to Bard?

studyguy

I hit 2 million Gil for the 1st time, been hovering around 600K for the duration when I was getting all my TradeCrafts to lv 50... really I made 1.4 million in 5 days. I started playing the story again, about to enter Brayflox.

In addition to Pugilist lv 15 do I have to do anything else to upgrade my lv 33 Archer to Bard?

Welcome to the multimillionare club. You're now authorized to grumble about how the peasants keep complaining about fixing their ratty hempen hats while you wipe with Vanya Silk and eat Finger Sandwiches for every meal.

I fully expect my fortune to take a swift kick in the dick come housing.

WolvenOne

Dang, I thought my half million Gil was pretty good. Granted, I don't really spend a lot of time actively trying to earn money, because of how long spiritbinding takes.

Incidentally, does anyone know where I can get additional Spiritbinding+ accessories? I have one from the Immortal Flames Company store, but I don't want to switch companies and lose all my seals, especially before I have the GC Minion Chocobo.

Even one additional item would greatly speed up the whole process.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Dang, I thought my half million Gil was pretty good. Granted, I don't really spend a lot of time actively trying to earn money, because of how long spiritbinding takes.

Incidentally, does anyone know where I can get additional Spiritbinding+ accessories? I have one from the Immortal Flames Company store, but I don't want to switch companies and lose all my seals, especially before I have the GC Minion Chocobo.

Even one additional item would greatly speed up the whole process.

And here I am feeling comfortable with anything over 100k.

There isn't much left to buy for me other than food, so it works.

TheWriter

Had two healers in a row leave before the first boss of AK, because we had two Ifrit weapon DPS and me as relic+1 Paladin. Wasn't good enough I guess. Then during boss fight my internet spazzes out and I get a slideshow of events happening. Again. And again. Then I get a 90k. After returning, I apologize for my shortcomings and leave the instance.
On some days I should not play it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom