• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

orion434

Converted an Aetherite Ring into a Piety IV Materia last night! Feels good man! I guess that makes up for all the Water / Lightning III Materia I got before.

Upgraded to a Bard as well, it was a good night :)

frequency

Reading that story may as well have been reading about this game.

FFXIV:ARR has more selfish uncaring jerks per capita than any other MMORPG in memory.

I have more stories of selfish behaviour in the 2 months of ARR than I have in years of other MMORPGs.

1.0 was not like this. I'm not sure what happened.

Ken

Reading that story may as well have been reading about this game.

FFXIV:ARR has more selfish uncaring jerks per capita than any other MMORPG I have played in a long time.

I have more stories of selfish behaviour in the 2 months of ARR than I have in years of other MMORPGs.

story time nowwww

frequency

story time nowwww

It's not any one big event but a series of small ones. It's not going to be anything exciting or super bad by itself but here are three examples of recent events:

- As I've said before, we often do lower level duties to help people through in what little ways we can. This time we got into the level 20 Ifrit story duty. One person was watching the cutscene. The other person was an experienced player as he started talking to my tank friend about higher level stuff. So he wasn't here for his story quest. There is no loot in there. The experience points are not worth it. So we figure he was in here to help out just like us.
It was friendly. Until we failed. The DPS just wasn't enough to destroy the nail. After failing, my tank friend gave advice to the new player and he was receptive. But 2nd fail and the other experienced player just left. All previous signs of friendliness gone.
As you know, the primal fights can not be re-queued for. And the level 20 duties have very long queue times. So the new player now can't practice anymore and has to wait a long time in queue again.

- I queued for the usual 5 low level dungeons on my Scholar. We got into Tam Tara. At such a low level, Eos can basically heal all by herself. So that's what I did. One of the players was apparently watching me and seeing that I myself was not casting Physick. He then thought it would be appropriate to berate me and accuse me of not paying attention and make the run as annoying as he could.

- I was on my Archer doing my Hunting Log. The "Lazy for You" FATE appeared. I usually don't run after FATEs but this one is one of those big boss ones and those are fun. Of all the Conjurers and Arcanists there, not a single one healed the tank. After watching him get so low, I had to heal... on my Archer. Of course, I have like no MND and I ran out of MP over time but we just made it and beat the FATE as the tank dies. And those Conjurers and Arcanists with Raise/Resurrection surely would now see the dead tank and help him out right? Nope. They all run off to their next FATE. So I had to change class to Raise him.

Tash

To be fair, the grinding approach for end game gear turns people into elitist jerks. Or brings the worst out in them, anyway.

Having to run the same few dungeons over and over gets to everyone. I am not saying that is an excuse but I am saying that the game design is not helping build a healthy and nice community.

Old games such as UO or EQ1 had the most amazing communities because the game was unforgiving and you had to maintain a reputation to get help and find people to play with. Despite running the danger to sound like an old hag: I miss those days :)

And those Conjurers and Arcanists with Raise/Resurrection surely would now see the dead tank and help him out right? Nope. They all run off to their next FATE.

Oh man, this shit really gets on my nerves. Like honestly, you can't find 1 minute to break from your FATE grinding to raise someone? It's automatic for me when I'm on PLD to raise anyone after a skirmish.

MechaX

Oh man, this shit really gets on my nerves. Like honestly, you can't find 1 minute to break from your FATE grinding to raise someone? It's automatic for me when I'm on PLD to raise anyone after a skirmish.

While that is a dick move, that's pretty much the Bystander Effect in full play (with each of those players having the "eh, someone else will do it" mentality).

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

The best is you request Raise please, healer goes OK, give me a sec, then FATE ends, casts teleport, cause extra FATE up, sends a whoops forgot, just HP, np
When you already told them your HP is somewhere else
It was so frustrating as MRD doing FATE grinding in Quarry, hey need you tank that, what do you mean I have to heal you?, I need to deeps with my stone & aero to get my gold rating... Most healers still don't realize your healing is the best way for you to get GOLD! >_<, FML

Quarrymill is the worst when it comes to healers healing or raising

For some reason the gotta go fast to next FATE, oh shit The Hive is up makes them running zombies just chasing the next XP fix

I find it a little silly that the people talking about the nuances of end game are lamenting the fact that people aren't helpful in the lower levels.

I was a 1.0 player and made a new character for the launch of ARR. I've played almost every night since and I'm only level 37 on my main job of Warrior. What have I done in the meantime? Lots of crafting, mining, and fishing. Never did FATE parties on my main job. Explored the world. Filled in maps. Did logs. Did grand company crafting daily for a while. Farmed/crafted to make money. Went out of my way to dungeon entrances in the overworld to see if anybody was shouting to make a party for them. I didn't need them anymore but joined up anyway. Tanked for mages in the FC that were having problems with some solo content. I know I needed to improve my tanking skills so I ran Brayflox close to a dozen times. Didn't come out with much in the way of gear rewards but that's fine. Not enough end game content? Who cares? Plenty more to do besides upgrading your gear.

TLDR adventuring is rewarding in itself.

It's just sad to me that it became a sprint to endgame for so many players (excluding legacy characters). Just because that's what Yoshi-P said doesn't mean we have to adhere to it. There is so much more game here than phat lewts that people either ignore or don't care to do. I don't understand that Diablo mentality where it's about numbers instead of the experience of gameplay. Maybe it's my fault as an ancient outdated MMO veteran to have such expectations and players now are a whole different breed.

Every time I read this thread though, I just shake my head that people took the bullet train to 50 and then complain there's nothing to do or it's too repetitive. My two cents.

pitbull

Banned
It's not any one big event but a series of small ones. It's not going to be anything exciting or super bad by itself but here are three examples of recent events:

- As I've said before, we often do lower level duties to help people through in what little ways we can. This time we got into the level 20 Ifrit story duty. One person was watching the cutscene. The other person was an experienced player as he started talking to my tank friend about higher level stuff. So he wasn't here for his story quest. There is no loot in there. The experience points are not worth it. So we figure he was in here to help out just like us.
It was friendly. Until we failed. The DPS just wasn't enough to destroy the nail. After failing, my tank friend gave advice to the new player and he was receptive. But 2nd fail and the other experienced player just left. All previous signs of friendliness gone.
As you know, the primal fights can not be re-queued for. And the level 20 duties have very long queue times. So the new player now can't practice anymore and has to wait a long time in queue again.

- I queued for the usual 5 low level dungeons on my Scholar. We got into Tam Tara. At such a low level, Eos can basically heal all by herself. So that's what I did. One of the players was apparently watching me and seeing that I myself was not casting Physick. He then thought it would be appropriate to berate me and accuse me of not paying attention and make the run as annoying as he could.

- I was on my Archer doing my Hunting Log. The "Lazy for You" FATE appeared. I usually don't run after FATEs but this one is one of those big boss ones and those are fun. Of all the Conjurers and Arcanists there, not a single one healed the tank. After watching him get so low, I had to heal... on my Archer. Of course, I have like no MND and I ran out of MP over time but we just made it and beat the FATE as the tank dies. And those Conjurers and Arcanists with Raise/Resurrection surely would now see the dead tank and help him out right? Nope. They all run off to their next FATE. So I had to change class to Raise him.

Theres also a lot of crappy people in real life, it doesn't seem sane to expect the online world to not have just as many jerks in it.

Literally 30 minutes ago I saw two cars sit at an intersection honking at each other because they both wanted to go first.

But I've run lower level stuff, I still use df to get tomes, and anytime I run into idiots I'm just thankful I'm not a retard and go about my day.

Lain

The best is you request Raise please, healer goes OK, give me a sec, then FATE ends, casts teleport, cause extra FATE up, sends a whoops forgot, just HP, np
When you already told them your HP is somewhere else
It was so frustrating as MRD doing FATE grinding in Quarry, hey need you tank that, what do you mean I have to heal you?, I need to deeps with my stone & aero to get my gold rating... Most healers still don't realize your healing is the best way for you to get GOLD! >_<, FML

Quarrymill is the worst when it comes to healers healing or raising

For some reason the gotta go fast to next FATE, oh shit The Hive is up makes them running zombies just chasing the next XP fix

That never worked for me, unless you're talking about being partied up.
I heal-tanked the whole Lazy For You as WHM for example while also healing some of the DPS around, I got either bronze or silver at the end (I got the potion consolation prize).

Alucrid

Banned
I find it a little silly that the people talking about the nuances of end game are lamenting the fact that people aren't helpful in the lower levels.

I was a 1.0 player and made a new character for the launch of ARR. I've played almost every night since and I'm only level 37 on my main job of Warrior. What have I done in the meantime? Lots of crafting, mining, and fishing. Never did FATE parties on my main job. Explored the world. Filled in maps. Did logs. Did grand company crafting daily for a while. Farmed/crafted to make money. Went out of my way to dungeon entrances in the overworld to see if anybody was shouting to make a party for them. I didn't need them anymore but joined up anyway. Tanked for mages in the FC that were having problems with some solo content. I know I needed to improve my tanking skills so I ran Brayflox close to a dozen times. Didn't come out with much in the way of gear rewards but that's fine. Not enough end game content? Who cares? Plenty more to do besides upgrading your gear.

TLDR adventuring is rewarding in itself.

It's just sad to me that it became a sprint to endgame for so many players (excluding legacy characters). Just because that's what Yoshi-P said doesn't mean we have to adhere to it. There is so much more game here than phat lewts that people either ignore or don't care to do. I don't understand that Diablo mentality where it's about numbers instead of the experience of gameplay. Maybe it's my fault as an ancient outdated MMO veteran to have such expectations and players now are a whole different breed.

Every time I read this thread though, I just shake my head that people took the bullet train to 50 and then complain there's nothing to do or it's too repetitive. My two cents.

Thanks for telling me I'm playing the game wrong.

frequency

Theres also a lot of crappy people in real life, it doesn't seem sane to expect the online world to not have just as many jerks in it.

Literally 30 minutes ago I saw two cars sit at an intersection honking at each other because they both wanted to go first.

But I've run lower level stuff, I still use df to get tomes, and anytime I run into idiots I'm just thankful I'm not a retard and go about my day.

I don't know. I don't meet many jerky people in real life. They exist but they're not so widespread. Most people I meet in real life are really friendly.

In real life, it is a surprise when the person I am interacting with is an unfriendly jerk. In FFXIV:ARR, it is a surprise when the person I am interacting with is a friendly non-jerk.

So the level of jerkiness here reflects the level in real life for you?

pitbull

Banned
I don't know. I don't meet many jerky people in real life. They exist but they're not so widespread. Most people I meet in real life are really friendly.

In real life, it is a surprise when the person I am interacting with is an unfriendly jerk. In FFXIV:ARR, it is a surprise when the person I am interacting with is a friendly non-jerk.

So the level of jerkiness here reflects the level in real life for you?

Pretty much, the nights i play wow that's when i gets unbearable to the point of having to take off my headset (because there's 25 people making train noise) or people not wanting to wait literally 5 second to pull a boss. I would put good money on it that the entirety of your bad experiences in ffxiv could be outdone in a single night there.

you have to see terrible to appreciate normal :)

Valus

Thanks for telling me I'm playing the game wrong.

You're not happy with the game right now. That other guy is. So yeah, no offence but that tells me that he's doing something right while you're not. I'm in the same boat as him too: my main is level 45 and I have a ton of high level crafting/gathering jobs.

I'm not bored of the game or upset about it one bit. I'm excited every time I log in to play and progress with the game. I will most likely be able to do this all the way through December when the expansion comes in and will have even more content to walk through.

When was the last time you were excited to log in? From your posts it sounds to me that it has been awhile. You think you're playing the game right? Awesome, why are you complaining about it then? If it's so right why aren't you satisfied? If you're happy and satisfied then I will agree that you're playing it right. Unless being bored out of your mind and shit talking is right to you. Then by all means carry on.

Aeana

You're not happy with the game right now. That other guy is. So yeah, no offence but that tells me that he's doing something right while you're not. I'm in the same boat as him too: my main is level 45 and I have a ton of high level crafting/gathering jobs.
It doesn't day that. For example, if Alucrid has no interest in crafting, that's his prerogative. It doesn't mean he's doing something wrong. Not every player has to want to do all of the same things.

Alucrid

Banned

I'm not bored of the game or upset about it one bit. I'm excited every time I log in to play and progress with the game. I will most likely be able to do this all the way through December when the expansion comes in and will have even more content to walk through.

When was the last time you were excited to log in? From your posts it sounds to me that it has been awhile. You think you're playing the game right? Awesome, why are you complaining about it then? If it's so right why aren't you satisfied? If you're happy and satisfied then I will agree that you're playing it right. Unless being bored out of your mind and shit talking is right to you. Then by all means carry on.

Every Monday when Coil resets.

Honestly, fuck off with this holier than thou shit. Just because I don't believe the end game has enough content and has become somewhat stale doesn't mean every time I log in I'm miserable. It's not a matter of playing it right or playing it wrong. I don't give a shit about crafting, it's not fun nor is it enjoyable to me. I like raiding content, so I'll get to that content as fast as possible. That's what I enjoy in MMOs. Telling me that I shouldn't try and get there as quick as I can is just stupid. And if we take what you say at face value then any time someone complains about something, it's not that there's problems with the game, they're just not playing it right. If you're not happy and satisfied with the game, just don't play!

frequency

Pretty much, the nights i play wow that's when i gets unbearable to the point of having to take off my headset (because there's 25 people making train noise) or people not wanting to wait literally 5 second to pull a boss. I would put good money on it that the entirety of your bad experiences in ffxiv could be outdone in a single night there.

you have to see terrible to appreciate normal :)

I have played WoW. I had a better experience there in terms of community but I was on a RP server (Earthen Ring) so that may have helped?

Valus

Every Monday when Coil resets.

Honestly, fuck off with this holier than thou shit. Just because I don't believe the end game has enough content and has become somewhat stale doesn't mean every time I log in I'm miserable. It's not a matter of playing it right or playing it wrong. I don't give a shit about crafting, it's not fun nor is it enjoyable to me. I like raiding content, so I'll get to that content as fast as possible. That's what I enjoy in MMOs. Telling me that I shouldn't try and get there as quick as I can is just stupid. And if we take what you say at face value then any time someone complains about something, it's not that there's problems with the game, they're just not playing it right. If you're not happy and satisfied with the game, just don't play!

Yeah, that sounds about right to me. Why are you paying a subscription for something you're not happy or satisfied with? But obviously you are satisfied enough with it because you're paying for it. But hey, whatever floats your boat man. I guess we'll be hearing you complain about each expansion too once you blaze through it and it's not enough for you. Can't wait.

It doesn't day that. For example, if Alucrid has no interest in crafting, that's his prerogative. It doesn't mean he's doing something wrong. Not every player has to want to do all of the same things.

I'm not saying "if you're bored go craft." I totally get that some people don't dig it. No problem. What I was trying to say is that we have two people here. One is satisfied with the game because of the way he plays and the other one is not satisfied with the game because of the way he plays. If the way you play isn't make you satisfied, why are you playing? What's the point in paying the premium if you have exhausted what's fun about it for you? Stop paying the premium and go play something else until the expansion comes, then come back. But no, instead he will keep on playing because in fact, he IS satisfied with the game as he's still willing to pay for it, but will just moan and complain about how he's not satisfied. I'm not seeing how that benefits the thread at all.

pitbull

Banned
I have played WoW. I had a better experience there in terms of community but I was on a RP server (Earthen Ring) so that may have helped?

possibly but now they have things kind of like the df except for raids, much like crystal tower is going to be....its very easy encounter where multiple servers combine to form raid groups. Its kind of like ghost busters 2 where all the negative energy was making the pink slime.

I don't see CT being as bad but I could very easily be wrong and it will be a social nightmare.

Alucrid

Banned
Yeah, that sounds about right to me. Why are you paying a subscription for something you're not happy or satisfied with? But obviously you are satisfied enough with it because you're paying for it. But hey, whatever floats your boat man. I guess we'll be hearing you complain about each expansion too once you blaze through it and it's not enough for you. Can't wait.

Because I paid for 3 months up front? I'm not satisfied with the end game content, I don't hate the game period. If I'm not satisfied with that part of the game I'll complain about it. I guess everyone dissatisfied with how Warrior plays at the moment should just up and quit.

Mandoric

Banned
goddamn people is it that hard to accept that everyone plays differently, all of us need to give a little to accept that, and the only iron rule is not to be a burden to the majority of our teammates at any given moment?

Also, any suggestions for 32-50 on Bard? I think I'm doing something right, since I'm already done with my T4 hunting log, but any deeper strat beyond "macro misery's end/bloodletter/hard shot together" and "use cds as soon as they come up" would be great.

Lain

I never had a problem with the server community on WoW on non-RP servers myself. You get the usual deranged idiots in general/trade and some asshole here and there.
The only times when I felt like I was in a sewer, with creamy, steamy shit being poured onto me was when I went into LFR.

Teletraan1

Banned
I wish they'd remove Water/Lighting Materia from the game, why are even there at this point <_<

Think of them as fail states for converting that give you something worthless rather than nothing. If you got exactly what you wanted every time the market for materia would be dead.

Mandoric

Banned
Think of them as fail states for converting that give you something worthless rather than nothing. If you got exactly what you wanted every time the market for materia would be dead.

As a buyer, they're also great for socketing EVERYTHING to 5 when I go to grind materia, since there's a flat bonus to spiritbond rate per materia socketed whether it's a 300k gil Crit +9 or a 15 gil Fire +1.

You can have an opinion, but there are lots of different ways to play MMOs, and what's right for one person isn't necessarily right for another.

Oh, I totally agree. Different strokes for different folks. I was making an observation that the conversation here is overwhelmingly dictated by end game (re-running dungeons for loot, that's it), that this balance of discussion and activity is sad to me, and I don't get the mentality of complaining there's nothing to do when there is lots to do, including getting out of the race to be the bestest every once in a while. People can play how they want. The endgame play style does have a ripple effect though as others have mentioned.

pitbull

Banned
I never had a problem with the server community on WoW on non-RP servers myself. You get the usual deranged idiots in general/trade and some asshole here and there.
The only times when I felt like I was in a sewer, with creamy, steamy shit being poured onto me was when I went into LFR.

LOL ding ding ding :)

I'm just desperately wait until there are several days work of raiding/dungeon content so I can play this fulltime.

Alucrid

Banned
Oh, I totally agree. Different strokes for different folks. I was making an observation that the conversation here is overwhelmingly dictated by end game (re-running dungeons for loot, that's it), that this balance of discussion and activity is sad to me, and I don't get the mentality of complaining there's nothing to do when there is lots to do, including getting out of the race to be the bestest every once in a while. People can play how they want. The endgame play style does have a ripple effect though as others have mentioned.

There should be more to the end game than "re-running dungeons for loot, that's it." That's the problem.

Teletraan1

Banned
People raced to the end, made the game a worse experience for other because "efficiency", have multiple jobs ultra geared and now are complaining they are bored. Well no shit. There just isn't enough end game content for that kind of player in this game. No MMO launches with that amount of content. Not even the rose colored Vanilla WoW. I looked at that end game content, realized what they cut and knew for a fact that if I was to play this game like a speed train to hell I would be bored to death after a month or so. If you did play like that and signed on for 3 months well that is an error in judgement on your part since this game factually does not have enough content for you to consume in the manner you consume it.

studyguy

At this point, I don't really care to gripe about endgame for a title that just released. I've been in enough MMO launches to know endgame is always a joke right after launch. WoW's was nonexistent, GW2's is still a joke, whatever it's an MMO, I normally burn through it hard then just raid while playing other things on the side.

As much as I'd like an endgame like XI when it came to the states, that was basically an MMO + the expansion Rise of the Zilart, that shit just doesn't happen since we're all there at the door day one.

If nothing else, I'll say that ARR has more endgame than XIV 1.0 ever had. Let alone more content than XIV 1.0 ever had in it's entire lifetime.

Alucrid

Banned
People raced to the end, made the game a worse experience for other because "efficiency", have multiple jobs ultra geared and now are complaining they are bored. Well no shit. There just isn't enough end game content for that kind of player in this game. No MMO launches with that amount of content. Not even the rose colored Vanilla WoW. I looked at that end game content, realized what they cut and knew for a fact that if I was to play this game like a speed train to hell I would be bored to death after a month or so. If you did play like that and signed on for 3 months well that is an error in judgement on your part since this game factually does not have enough content for you to consume in the manner you consume it.

It also doesn't have any higher content coming in a month. Then it will continue to lack any higher content for another three months.

As much as I'd like an endgame like XI when it came to the states, that was basically an MMO + the expansion Rise of the Zilart, that shit just doesn't happen since we're all there at the door day one.

XI's logic (at least 2004's RoZ Western release) was to start kicking you in the teeth at level 10 and not stop...ever.

Actually, it starts kicking you in the teeth as you install PlayOnline...

There should be more to the end game than "re-running dungeons for loot, that's it." That's the problem.

There's more to the game itself than end game though.

Honest question, I'm not being facetious: if you were the designer of ARR, would you have scrapped levels entirely and just made it about loot/gear? Just trying to gauge what you and others here really wanted to get out of this game, launch or not.

Alucrid

Banned
There's more to the game itself than end game though.

Honest question, I'm not being facetious: if you were the designer of ARR, would you have scrapped levels entirely and just made it about loot/gear? Just trying to gauge what you and others here really wanted to get out of this game, launch or not.

Where have I hinted at wanting for them to reduce the post cap content? Things like daily quests or housing make up end game content too. I don't get your fixation on my apparent fixation of loot and gear in the 'end game.' And judging from gaps in quest levels the post-cap content is far from finished as well.

Valus

Stole the words right out of my mouth. "I'm going to keep playing even though I'm not satisfied because I paid for 3 months and complain about it." Yeah, okay.

Alucrid

Banned
Stole the words right out of my mouth. "I'm going to keep playing even though I'm not satisfied because I paid for 3 months and complain about it." Yeah, okay.

Well I still have a couple months left of my sub, so enjoy my complaining until then.

Croyles

The irony of turning a thread toxic by letting a toxic game community get to you.

We should have killed titan in ghost costumes yesterday. That would have cheered everyone up.

WolvenOne

*Reads above*

Yeah, two cents, if you're not expecting major content updates for 2-3 months, then you should either pace yourself, be willing to jump onto other games for awhile after exhausting content, or rely heavily on the social aspects of the game.

I'm actually eager to get to the later stages of Coil for that reason. If I can get to Turn 4 regularly and swiftly, then the amount I'll, "need," to play per week to keep pace, will go down dramatically. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but it's been "too," absorbing for me lately. So I want to largely get Coil and Myth Grinding out of my way, so I can spend the bulk of my time leveling my melee class, and helping out other players.

Or, you know, disappearing for a few days at a time, to socialize, play other games, or just to get to bed early, you know? Sure I'm paying 12.99 a month, but I only need to play 13 hours a month to justify that sub. Anything beyond that is a value bonus for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom