• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmagus

So I've been toying around with the idea of putting together another static for coil and end game on the Sargatanas server and I guess I wanna see if there is any interest from anyone. Other than being geared properly there is no requirements for it new or experienced welcome. I'd like to focus on coil but if people need the primals done for their relic to enter I wouldn't be opposed to including that same with AK and WP runs.You can pm me or message me in game Eight Corova let me know your class and ideal times.

Best titan kill ever just now. Took almost 18 minutes with only a single dps and Titan went up to 10 stomps, but we got it. Not sure if we would've lasted any longer since I got gaol'd at the end and he died right before the next round of stomps but was still pretty awesome.

Unknown finished getting his PLD stuff so we've been running PLD/PLD all this week.

Yeah, that was epic as hell (was the single DPS standing). I wish someone had recorded it. XD

So happy for you guys~ Super proud.

<3

Congrats!! Did you do PLD/WAR?

Nope, we did it as PLD/PLD. I don't know, the amount of damage I was eating as off-tank was crazy in the last phase. I'm trying to imagine how geared I would have had to be to survive it as WAR. I saved and burned every CD to stay alive and one of our healers ran out of mana right at the end and so I still went down. Fortunately we had killed all but one of the clockworks by then, the BRD kited it for a few seconds while I got raised, then we killed the last dreadnaught and downed it.

Best titan kill ever just now. Took almost 18 minutes with only a single dps and Titan went up to 10 stomps, but we got it. Not sure if we would've lasted any longer since I got gaol'd at the end and he died right before the next round of stomps but was still pretty awesome.

Yeah, Ren was counting in Mumble and when he got to 10 stomps and we were all still alive I felt like we had won the game at that point. We 4-manned Titan basically the entire last 1/3 of his HP bar, it took forever because Ren was the only DPS up. Then one of you guys dropped the healer LB3 and everyone who got raised promptly died again and we were on our own. We were incredibly lucky that Ren was the only guy getting rocked, if you or Kenai had gotten rocked anytime before then we most certainly would not have finished it.

It's arguably the best (unintentional) carry I've ever pulled off in any MMO, ever. And yeah, I wish I had recorded it.

Taruranto

tztuBfg.jpg

Shit killed my finances. :( But finally. :D

Clipse

Grinded out Bard from 35 to 50 over the past 2 days. Had Ifrit's Bow and almost all of the AK gear waiting for me at 50. Feels great man.

WolvenOne

Well, pretty much decided to get my PLD to level 50. It's my highest level sub class, and I have a ton of equipment at level 50 for it already.

I'll probably only use it for Coil though, since War is a heck of a lot more fun to play. Also I'll keep running Coil as War until I get PLD to 50 and have the Relic quest completed.

Hopefully before then I can get into a static. Pugging and subbing on Coil can get you a little experience and maybe some drops, but I don't have a chance at the later turns without a static.

After PLD it's a battle between DRG and BRD. That's a tough one to be honest, since there are things about both classes that I like.

Dunan

Now I'm seeing some of the social magic of MMOs.

My free month was about to expire two days ago, and, unable to party to enter the Stone Vigil and move the plot forward, I thought I'd go back to one of my sub-classes and just wander around scenic Gridania and pick off some of the remaining entries on those Hunting Logs.

I go to do that and it's a little tougher than I expected. One of them gets the best of me and I'm lying on the ground helpless when a kind-hearted healer comes by and gets me back into action.

He says, "Lasto beth nin, tolo dan nan galad."

Now what language could this be? I'm interested, because the vast majority of the chat in this game has been in English, and here's someone speaking some language that I can't even identify.

And this is with literally five minutes to go before I shot the game down and, in all probability, let my character retire to an inn room in Ul'dah to relax for a month or so until I pick the game up again and subscribe.

So this samaritan has made it possible for me to enjoy the final minutes rather than get teleported back to my long-left-behind home point.

I use a Tell to try to find out what language it is, but I can't assume that he speaks English, so I ask him this in three different tongues. "What language was that? &#20170;&#12398;&#12399;&#20309;&#35486;? Welche Sprache war das?"

Turns out he's talking in
Elvish, from Tolkien
, and that it means, "Hear my voice; come back to the light." I thank him in the language of Yonaguni island ("ar&#257;gu fugaras&#257;"), which may well have fewer speakers than Elvish, given Tolkien's worldwide fandom.

Now, what better place to speak an invented tongue than in an invented world? And what a great way to close out my first month of playing this game! Keith MacLeod, good Samaritan, wherever you are, I salute you!

KeRaSh

This must be what happens in Titan Extreme mode

Haha, like fish in a barrel. So good.

I've had the whole weekend for myself because my fiancé went on a trip with her sister and I only played for 2-3 hours. Leveled Botanist to 33 which now starts to feel like a huge grind because leveling takes much longer than the earlier levels.
I also couldn't get myself to do more AK/WP runs to farm for DL gear. So far I got my chest and leg pieces but I'm probably still not ready for Titan and I don't feel like running against a wall over and over again. If I spend the weekend trying to kill him without success then that weekend would be completely wasted to me.

So instead I started playing Pokemon X...
Maybe I get my motivation back after that.

Ifrit/Garuda DF success report for today: 2/8 and of course...... no bow D:

At this rate I might get full DL gear before getting an Ifrit bow. Ridiculous.

Ken

odin continues to be a boring and annoying fate boss for melee classes where the only enjoyment i can get out of the fate is purposefully getting hit by hall of stone to see what animation frame my character can get stuck in

Iph

Banned
You have a fantastic attitude.

I wish more people who played MMOs were like you.

I had my first party that the DF put together for my first dungeon ever take the time to teach me how to mark properly. They even took the time to ask a friend how to bring up the menu on the PS3, as well letting me now how to tell if I have the enmity and when I'm losing it. I'm pretty new to MMO period so this was great, and made me a pretty good tank who needed minimal direction until the last dungeon run I did with a few speed runners who didn't communicate very well, I found.

I love the idea of doing free relic runs and such. I can't stand goldsellers and other paid hand-holding.

Tash

I just figured out that
Alphinaud is Louisoix's Grandkid and noticed the Turn 1 Cutscene with him. So excited now to actually maybe have him back in ARR.

His smile of content after porting everyone away in the End of an Era Trailer totally gets to me every freaking time..

I love the idea of doing free relic runs and such. I can't stand goldsellers and other paid hand-holding.

We were discussing offering free Titan runs yesterday. Pisses me off that Shin'ra is asking for 500k on our server.
We also discussed asking for 100k to at least destroy the prices and still make a bit of money for our FC housing. After all it IS an annoying fight, even on farm status.

DragonHunterG

Neo Member
my leatherworker is at level 38 and man it's rough leveling up, even with leves, because you have to gather the materials to make the items (i rarely buy them from the market especially monster parts thati can farm myself). then, it's almost not worth it sometimes unless you can turn in HQ items and get that 200% bonus exp. so i spent most of my time making hundreds of all the leather types: aldgoat, toad, boar, pieste, raptor, etc.

it just seems like every craft is attached to another craft in terms of what items you need to make something. i dont see how people can have just one level 50 craft (which i have seen before) without the others being in the 30s or similiar levels as well as the gathering jobs.

also i think im done leveling classes until they introduce more. i have paladin and dragoon at level 50 and i'm pretty happy with those and the way they play, moreso dragoon. i may level up warrior but thats about it.

i dont see how some people will say there's not enough to do. there's a ton of stuff to do. FFXIV sits below my top 2 (FFIV and FFVI respectively) in terms of favorite FF games (mainline). i already subbed for 180 days after my trial period was over and i'm anxious to see what veteran reward i will get come 2.1. i haven't played or enjoyed a game this much since Monster Hunter or more recently last years XCOM. game still gets a 10/10 in my book and i haven't even been to Coil yet.

Iph

Banned
I just figured out that
Alphinaud is Louisoix's Grandkid and noticed the Turn 1 Cutscene with him. So excited now to actually maybe have him back in ARR.

His smile of content after porting everyone away in the End of an Era Trailer totally gets to me every freaking time..

We were discussing offering free Titan runs yesterday. Pisses me off that Shin'ra is asking for 500k on our server.
We also discussed asking for 100k to at least destroy the prices and still make a bit of money for our FC housing. After all it IS an annoying fight, even on farm status.

Ah, I was under the impression that people were paying real money for the runs, not gil. That seems fair enough than- people working together to bring down greedy inflation! :D

then, it's almost not worth it sometimes unless you can turn in HQ items and get that 200% bonus exp.
You can guarantee HQ if you get some cross-class skills. Life became a lot easier after I got CUL, WVR, CRP and ALC to 15.

it just seems like every craft is attached to another craft in terms of what items you need to make something. i dont see how people can have just one level 50 craft (which i have seen before) without the others being in the 30s or similiar levels as well as the gathering jobs.
That's a way to create commerce. One crafter sells materials to another crafter, who in turns sells his materials to yet another crafter, making the market advance.

Tash

Ah, I was under the impression that people were paying real money for the runs, not gil. That seems fair enough than- people working together to bring down greedy inflation! :D

Oh well those prices are for gil but I am pretty sure somewhere, someone makes real money of those runs -.-

J-Rod

I'm having the Titan blues. Is there any reason a DD shouldn't come into medica range for tulmits? There is always 1 or 2 people standing way out in outer space that I have to heal separately, and I want to ask them to come closer.

Aeana

I'm having the Titan blues. Is there any reason a DD shouldn't come into medica range for tulmits? There is always 1 or 2 people standing way out in outer space that I have to heal separately, and I want to ask them to come closer.
Nope. And I feel you, because this happens to me all the time as a healer.
When they die because they weren't healed before he jumps, they'll figure it out.

studyguy

Was helping some newer people with Titan from the FC last night.
Probably the most intense tanking I've ever done. The team kept getting whittled down to just two people, the SCH and I and it was frustrating considering they kept getting downed right around the 15% mark.

Anyway, DRG goes down right as he's about to LB. SCH gets a gaol.
I end up tanking Titan popping cooldowns, getting insanely lucky with Flashes so rock & mountain breaker miss. I actually end up breaking the gaol alone and living through tumult just barely, basically a whole titan rotation having only the SCH fairy and my cooldowns to help.

The SCH pops out, heals his fairy to full, shields me and I'm like holy shit we can do this!
And then Titan Gaol's the SCH again
Lived around 1/2 as long this time since I had to use the LB and that kept me going.

Still fun times.
Also another week of no tank drops in coil, I'm sure.
Praise Tanaka

Only if you also splurge on equipment, or get a buddy to craft equipment for you.
Haven't hit that barrier yet. I'm using HQ crafts that I made myself using leve money, but I'm still on CUL 24, WVR 26 and ALC/CRP 15, and I have a BSM 30 friend for tools.

I'm aiming to be self-sufficient until my patience runs out, but I can understand the pains one would go through if they don't gather.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Had a pretty productive night yesterday. Cleared Cutter's Cry for the first time, downed story Garuda, hit level 46, and got most of my MNK AF gear. Pretty sweet.

dramatis

Haven't hit that barrier yet. I'm using HQ crafts that I made myself using leve money, but I'm still on CUL 24, WVR 26 and ALC/CRP 15, and I have a BSM 30 friend for tools.

I'm aiming to be self-sufficient until my patience runs out, but I can understand the pains one would go through if they don't gather.
It's not really about gathering where I made my point. If you're at WVR 30 trying to craft a level 30 item with only level 10 gear equipped, you're not going to get guaranteed HQ even if you have all the skills from other crafting classes. Unless you're lucky.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's not really about gathering where I made my point. If you're at WVR 30 trying to craft a level 30 item with only level 10 gear equipped, you're not going to get guaranteed HQ even if you have all the skills from other crafting classes. Unless you're lucky.

If you're WVR 30 you've probably been making your own crafting equipment all along.

WolvenOne

Do the WAR hp leeching skills generate any extra enmity over the baseline damage? If so, it's not enough, since I can't switch to the HP leech rotation for long before the parties emnity starts creeping near my own.

Bloodbath/Vengeance/Leech-Rotation would actually be an fairly decent damage mitigation method for bosses, if you could use all three for any real length of time. Works well on mobs though, since you're usually juggling between rotations and Overpower. (25 hp actually makes a difference, when it's multiplied by 6 to 10 targets.)

Sorry, I guess it's kinda pointless to speculate about WAR buffs at this point. Since the Buff will be what it will be.

studyguy

Do the WAR hp leeching skills generate any extra enmity over the baseline damage? If so, it's not enough, since I can't switch to the HP leech rotation for long before the parties emnity starts creeping near my own.

Bloodbath/Vengeance/Leech-Rotation would actually be an fairly decent damage mitigation method for bosses, if you could use all three for any real length of time. Works well on mobs though, since you're usually juggling between rotations and Overpower. (25 hp actually makes a difference, when it's multiplied by 6 to 10 targets.)

Sorry, I guess it's kinda pointless to speculate about WAR buffs at this point. Since the Buff will be what it will be.

I've been trying to test Bloodbath for ages, I don't think it generates anything.
I've searched around the net and people said as much. Seems odd that we can't use bloodbath for enmity when I believe in 1.0 it did cause a boost.

WolvenOne

I've been trying to test Bloodbath for ages, I don't think it generates anything.
I've searched around the net and people said as much. Seems odd that we can't use bloodbath for enmity when I believe in 1.0 it did cause a boost.

To be fair, I can understand why they wouldn't want the HP rotation, or bloodbath, to create quite as much emnity as the Aggro rotation. Then people would just use the leech rotation constantly, and constantly mitigate 150-200HP per rotation. Still, Leeching should generate a little extra emnity, just to give you some time to actually be able to, "do it," without the rest of your party immediately catching up with you during boss battles.

I mean, if you could go ALL IN, on HP leeching, whenever you cast Bloodbath, and had a reasonable expectation of holding aggro, that itself would improve survivability for WAR's in places like Coil. As is, it's only good for Mob's, which is nice and all, but not really all that helpful for the really tough endgame content.

I mean, okay, basically, Leeching based mitigation, needs to be either easy, or pose a very high reward. Right now, it's risky, and fairly low reward, so effectively the balance for it is all wrong. I mean, it's a heck of a lot more fun than PLD's one button mitigation CD's, but still.

studyguy

To be fair, I can understand why they wouldn't want the HP rotation, or bloodbath, to create quite as much emnity as the Aggro rotation. Then people would just use the leech rotation constantly, and constantly mitigate 150-200HP per rotation. Still, Leeching should generate a little extra emnity, just to give you some time to actually be able to, "do it," without the rest of your party immediately catching up with you during boss battles.

I mean, if you could go ALL IN, on HP leeching, whenever you cast Bloodbath, and had a reasonable expectation of holding aggro, that itself would improve survivability for WAR's in places like Coil. As is, it's only good for Mob's, which is nice and all, but not really all that helpful for the really tough endgame content.

I mean, okay, basically, Leeching based mitigation, needs to be either easy, or pose a very high reward. Right now, it's risky, and fairly low reward, so effectively the balance for it is all wrong. I mean, it's a heck of a lot more fun than PLD's one button mitigation CD's, but still.

I'm mainly looking at it from a PLD perspective. Our return on Bloodbath is minor at best, but it would be nice to have another enmity boost in any case. Well whatever.

Also something I never noticed since the transition from 1.0 to ARR is that MNK lost Hundred Fists. Totally blanked on that till I decided to dust my MNK off and mess with it again. I know it was in the job questline, but it never occurred to me. How sad.

Mashing

There's a leech rotation for WAR? That rotation you mention is on long CD's, I would necessarily call that a rotation. And what are you fighting that has that many mobs? WP speedruns? I get destroyed after 6+ targets (not counting those weak bugs) as a WAR will all CD's and spamming OP with bloodbath/vengeance. I've got full DL/2 iLvl 90 armor pieces/relic wpn. I'm also told by the healer that he/she can't heal through that much incoming dmg.

WolvenOne

I'm mainly looking at it from a PLD perspective. Our return on Bloodbath is minor at best, but it would be nice to have another enmity boost in any case. Well whatever.

Also something I never noticed since the transition from 1.0 to ARR is that MNK lost Hundred Fists. Totally blanked on that till I decided to dust my MNK off and mess with it again. I know it was in the job questline, but it never occurred to me. How sad.

The return on Bloodbath is fairly minor overall. I don't have the actual numbers, but I think the total damage mitigated, over the life of the CD, on the regular Aggro rotation, is somewhere between 1000 and 1500, (probably leaning heavily towards the 1000, unless you luck out and get a string of crits.) So, while 1000HP mitigated certainly helps, during the Coil boss fights it's small potatoes, and since it doesn't generate any additional emnity there isn't much incentive to use it. To be fair though, the mitigation should nearly double if you're using Vengeance and the Leech Rotation, but again since you cannot switch to the Leech rotation safely without a large Emnity lead, that doesn't really help.

I dunno, it feels to me like, the development team over-estimated how powerful Warriors were going to be, and nerfed them before the game was even released. That'd be fine if they were fairly prompt with balancing updates, but since they seem to be waiting till 2.1 to fix it, it leaves me in a position of "almost," having to level up other classes, to participate in the really tough endgame content, ie Coil.

I mean, yeah, War's can get to turn 5 well enough, if they're played properly and geared well. Few parties really want to play with more than one of them if they can help it though, and a lot if not most would just assume have 2 PLD's.

All of which is a shame, since, as I said before, PLD is kinda boring to play.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
There's a leech rotation for WAR? That rotation you mention is on long CD's, I would necessarily call that a rotation. And what are you fighting that has that many mobs? WP speedruns? I get destroyed after 6+ targets (not counting those weak bugs) as a WAR will all CD's and spamming OP with bloodbath/vengeance. I've got full DL/2 iLvl 90 armor pieces/relic wpn. I'm also told by the healer that he/she can't heal through that much incoming dmg.

Something is off on your rotations/movement. My WAR alt has full DL/i70 Crafted + Relic and I can speedrun pretty well in WP.

Don't burn your TP instantly and always have 5 stacks of wrath up to get the +15% healing. Use flash and overpower to keep the agro on yourself. Initially combo bloodbath with overpower to boost the healing numbers, then just rotate the defensive cooldowns throughout the fight.

WolvenOne

Yep, there's a Leech rotation for War, Heavy Swing/Maim/Storms Path. Storms Path absorbs 50% of Damage as HP, and has a Potency of 250. (Vs Butchers Block's potency of 270)

Combined with Vengeance and Bloodbath, it mitigates Damage pretty well, but you have to alternate between that and Overpower to keep Enmity up. That's not a problem with mobs, but a fairly big problem for bosses, since it offsets your mitigation.

As for places with that many mobs, there are several places in WP where you can easily fight that many at once, and I've survived those encounters okay. You do however need at least one well equipped AoE DPS, to shorten the length of these encounters, otherwise they'll last far too long to survive.

Zidy

I am LOVING Monk. After putting up my axe for a while until WAR's can be appreciated, I decided to roll Monk and have been having a blast. Did some Brayflox runs with some guildies last night and I could have went all night. Now, my only quandry is what am I going to do when I hit 50? I still haven't gotten Bravura with my WAR and only need Garuda and Titan. I heard Titan can be a real bitch to run with a WAR.

dramatis

Congrats Keiichi.

If you're WVR 30 you've probably been making your own crafting equipment all along.
You can't always make equipment from WVR only (head and feet gear come to mind), and accessories and main tool require GSM. Off-hand, CRP. If you want guaranteed HQ, you best have the equipment at your level. Random number generation is a foe that cannot be beaten, only minimized.

If you have money to burn, you can scream through jobs one by one. If you want to be extremely self-sufficient, you level horizontally.

WolvenOne

Honestly both tank classes are a snoozefest.
I do both, and neither one is exactly exciting given our content.

War is a bit more involved though. Their mitigation is a lot more dependent on which rotations they're using, and if they have sufficient stacks. So there's more to juggle and keep track of as War.

That makes them a bit more fun to me, as PLD mitigation seems a bit passive in comparison. I just wish the WAR mitigation has a higher pay off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom