• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

God help you if you need GM support in this game. I feel like I'm playing some bootleg fringe F2P MMO with no customer support, I can't even get a reply on a simple fix, been over a week on a ticket.

Could be worse I guess, another guy in our Free Company has had an item restore ticket that's been under "investigation" since early OCTOBER.

WolvenOne

non-storyline quests (if you're a tank, dungeons would work OK due to instaqueues)

Leves can give okay XP. Not quite as much as a FATE, but you don't have to wait around for them, and some good items frequently drop during Leves.

BTW, has anyone tried forming a party for Leves, and seeing how it affected XP? I've heard that people can Co-op on Leves, if they all sign up for the same quest, but I haven't tried it since the Beta.

WolvenOne

God help you if you need GM support in this game. I feel like I'm playing some bootleg fringe F2P MMO with no customer support, I can't even get a reply on a simple fix, been over a week on a ticket.

Could be worse I guess, another guy in our Free Company has had an item restore ticket that's been under "investigation" since early OCTOBER.

Yeah, they definitely need to be putting more resources into customer support and such. I could wave this off if this was a game with barely any subscribers, but by all accounts it's doing fairly well. If it's doing well, then they should take some of that sub money and hire another support team or two for North America and Europe.

(By support team, I'm thinking along the lines of, 6-8 people. That might not seem like a lot, but if they're mostly focused on helping out with in-game bugs and exploits...)

Man, I can't believe 2.1 is still 1 month, there isn't really much to do in game at this point. .___.

level EVERYTHING to level 50...=p

Makes me glad I'm taking things slow, I don't even have a relic weapon on my first character. By the time I get them and everything, 2.1 will be here.

Man, I can't believe 2.1 is still 1 month, there isn't really much to do in game at this point. .___.

Yeah... I pretty much only log in now for Coils and capping 300 myth a week. But it's kind of a good thing - I can focus on other games I neglected for so long because of ARR. :p

WolvenOne

level EVERYTHING to level 50...=p

Makes me glad I'm taking things slow, I don't even have a relic weapon on my first character. By the time I get them and everything, 2.1 will be here.

I've paced myself fairly well. I'm only just now leveling a second class to 50, and while I started in the mid 20s for this class, I still don't expect to hit fifty until maaaaaybe the end of next week. After that I expect to take a few days to farm Primal and do my Relic Quest, it'll go a lot quicker this time, since I already have a lot of PLD loot that dropped during my first Relic Quest.

After that, I pick another class and start again. Hopefully that one will about take me until 2.1 hits. I actually enjoy leveling other classes a lot, but id like to save the bulk of the classes until 2.1 hits, and I have both the dungeon XP Buff, and Beast men Daily Quests to work with.

If I had those two things alone, I could easily see myself staying occupied and entertained till into next year.

As for people that have almost everything leveled. o_O. Guys, the sub is twelve dollars a month. You don't need to even play daily to justify that expense.

I realize I have no place to be saying it, but there's a really strong argument to be made for pacing your selves.

Also, yeah, kinda late to be saying that now, I suppose.

Azrael

There's the Lightning FATEs coming next week. I just hope they spawn frequently enough that they don't become as overcrowded as the Behemoth and Odin FATEs.

But yeah, 3 1/2 - 4 months for a major content patch is much too long, especially when half the features for 2.1 were planned for launch.

Alucrid

Banned
There's the Lightning FATEs coming next week. I just hope they spawn frequently enough that they don't become as overcrowded as the Behemoth and Odin FATEs.

But yeah, 3 1/2 - 4 months for a major content patch is much too long, especially when half the features for 2.1 were planned for launch.

they wouldn't dare deny us lightning like that

I've paced myself fairly well. I'm only just now leveling a second class to 50, and while I started in the mid 20s for this class, I still don't expect to hit fifty until maaaaaybe the end of next week. After that I expect to take a few days to farm Primal and do my Relic Quest, it'll go a lot quicker this time, since I already have a lot of PLD loot that dropped during my first Relic Quest.

After that, I pick another class and start again. Hopefully that one will about take me until 2.1 hits. I actually enjoy leveling other classes a lot, but id like to save the bulk of the classes until 2.1 hits, and I have both the dungeon XP Buff, and Beast men Daily Quests to work with.

If I had those two things alone, I could easily see myself staying occupied and entertained till into next year.

As for people that have almost everything leveled. o_O. Guys, the sub is twelve dollars a month. You don't need to even play daily to justify that expense.

I realize I have no place to be saying it, but there's a really strong argument to be made for pacing your selves.

Also, yeah, kinda late to be saying that now, I suppose.

You expect people to just suddenly kick dat ARR addiction? They're stuck there for life!

gryvan

uqztxXm.jpg

below 10 min yay~

Any summoners mind sharing what their hotbar looks like if they play with a controller? I am running out of space but I need so many of those spells!

WolvenOne

Any summoners mind sharing what their hotbar looks like if they play with a controller? I am running out of space but I need so many of those spells!

Don't know about summoners, but here's how I manage my crossbar for PLD and WAR.

I create multiple crossbar, make 3-4 of hotkey groups identical, containing all my commonly used actions, with the most highly used actions going on the face buttons. Then, on the one remaining hotkey group, I generally put a different rotation on each crossbar.

So, my crossbar layout will look kinda like this.

Wrath Actions - Aggro Actions - Misc Actions - Aggro Rotation + Tomohawk

Wrath Actions - Aggro Actions - Misc Actions - DPS Rotation + Tomohawk

Wrath Actions - Aggro Actions - Misc Actions - Leech Rotation + Tomohawk

I also have a separate keyboard hotbar, for all of my Cooldowns, and have mapped Defiance to my Space bar.

Now, none of this may help you of course, because I don't know that class yet. Hopefully though, it gets your brain rolling on some possible solutions that work for you.

Goodluck. :)

Alex

We're pushing further on Twintania now, making solid progress, but it's a shame the FC I'm in has such odd duck days and hours to play. I do have to say that this fight, IMO, still remains quite boring after genuinely fun & mechanical fare Titan, ADS and the elevator, though.

On another note, I really wish we could do alt runs, or I could acquire myth for my alt job. I always enjoyed the XI style of having classes all chained to one character but I find it conflicts with the WoW-esque point and lockout systems they have in play here. I'd be OK with the lesser amount of content if I could properly take the class system for a spin.

On another note, I really wish we could do alt runs, or I could acquire myth for my alt job. I always enjoyed the XI style of having classes all chained to one character but I find it conflicts with the WoW-esque point and lockout systems they have in play here.

Agreed. I really wish I could do Coils more than once per week. Not really for the loot (I would be okay if you couldn't get loot from a boss if you got some already), but just to help my friends and have something else to do. I've been considering leveling another character just so I have a reason to login after finishing coils/myth on my main (and the ability to go with more friends to Coils). I'd rather not do that, though... The whole "do everything on one character" thing they have going really conflicts with their raiding/end game system.

Zaptruder

Banned
Agreed. I really wish I could do Coils more than once per week. Not really for the loot (I would be okay if you couldn't get loot from a boss if you got some already), but just to help my friends and have something else to do. I've been considering leveling another character just so I have a reason to login after finishing coils/myth on my main (and the ability to go with more friends to Coils). I'd rather not do that, though... The whole "do everything on one character" thing they have going really conflicts with their raiding/end game system.

Well... Crystal towers would've been useful in helping gear up sub jobs.

NeOak

2.1 is in December?

No wonder everyone is on a break after hitting 50.

Anyway, 10 levels to go for me on my PLD. I should get there by December.

Dunlop

just hit 31 on my White Mage, this game feels like such a grind lol

Any secrets to speed up the process to 50 or is it just fate grinding

I pretty much want to run dungeons but even doing Haukke Manor would take probably 4 or 5 runs for a single level

UrSuLeTzU

The worst almost-90 minutes I've ever spent in ARR.

Then we switched it around so that Azrael went BLM and I went PLD, and we won it 2 attempts later. There's a lesson to be learned here.

It was like 8:00 AM in the morning for me after staying up all night and yeah maybe 3 bards was a bit much(although we had 7 relics).

Alex

Well... Crystal towers would've been useful in helping gear up sub jobs.

I may still need that on my main when the time comes around, haha. Had to swap from WHM to BRD for our group and drops have been wonky. Turn 1-4 is like... 70-80 minutes of content? So I'd also like to do it per job since it's all I really have to do at this point. I actually really like doing 1-4, too, really fun content.

Dunno what do upgrade on my Bard next. The bit of Allagan gear I got is hitting me hard, really put a hole in my accuracy so it greatly skews the suggested upgrade paths I read for AF+1. I kind of just want to up on the Relic + 1, but the upgrade is a bit middling for 900 points. Pants seem amazing, but it'd shred my accuracy, I already had to buy Darklight Gloves that I never planned on to fill in the Accuracy holy from Allagan earrings and boots.

WolvenOne

2.1 is in December?

No wonder everyone is on a break after hitting 50.

Anyway, 10 levels to go for me on my PLD. I should get there by December.

Was going to be Nov, but it sounds like all the server woes delayed things a little. Shame, because November would have been about perfect timing.

elyetis

I pretty much want to run dungeons but even doing Haukke Manor would take probably 4 or 5 runs for a single level
Yeah the dungeon xp buff can't come soon enough ( but sadly it's just another thing tied for no reason to the 2.1 patch ).
Now that I have a job lvl50, leveling new jobs in dungeon only is nice thought, but that's only thanks to the xp buff you get; on my first job I really had to do secondary quest + some fate between some dungeon to get a decent xp.

Current situation is really sad, the community as a whole could only get better whith more people doing dungeon as a way to xp over fate. ( IMHO )

BLCKATK

I may still need that on my main when the time comes around, haha. Had to swap from WHM to BRD for our group and drops have been wonky. Turn 1-4 is like... 70-80 minutes of content? So I'd also like to do it per job since it's all I really have to do at this point. I actually really like doing 1-4, too, really fun content.

Dunno what do upgrade on my Bard next. The bit of Allagan gear I got is hitting me hard, really put a hole in my accuracy so it greatly skews the suggested upgrade paths I read for AF+1. I kind of just want to up on the Relic + 1, but the upgrade is a bit middling for 900 points. Pants seem amazing, but it'd shred my accuracy, I already had to buy Darklight Gloves that I never planned on to fill in the Accuracy holy from Allagan earrings and boots.

I have the same problem with my Accuracy right now, I ended up going for Grphyonskin Ring HQ to replace my Toxotes in order to help fill in the Accuracy lost. I've just noticed that a ton of pieces I could buy don't have Accuracy on it, putting me undercap, or I can buy a piece of ilvl 90 I already have Allagan for to get the accuracy back. It's quite a battle.

Croyles

It kinda looks like I pushed you or something. lol Cause you're not even standing on anything.

For pushing me, you're not getting on my door-raft when we are floating on the freezing ocean. I'm gonna let you be a gentleman and drown/freeze to death!

I hardly ever have any interest in MMORPGs, but this one just looks so good to me. I'm on the fence, and if someone could answer me these questions, that'd be lovely.

1) Is the story good?
2) Are the dungeons well-designed?
3) It designed to always be team-based or is it possible to do solo at times?
4) About how long is it to complete the main story? About how long is it to complete the main story and all of the side stuff?

Thanks.

WolvenOne

I hardly ever have any interest in MMORPGs, but this one just looks so good to me. I'm on the fence, and if someone could answer me these questions, that'd be lovely.

1) Is the story good?
4) About how long is it to complete the main story? About how long is it to complete the main story and all of the side stuff?

Thanks.

1) Yes, though the main story primarily serves as an introduction to the setting and situation, it is pretty good.

2: Yes the dungeons are pretty good.

3: Swaths of the game can be done solo, large parts cannot though. A Duty Finder exists to help players form parties without having to manually recruit other characters, but as of now manual recruitment is the ideal.

4: it took me roughly a month to complete the main story, but I probably could've done it in three weeks, had there not been server woes during the two weeks following the games launch.

After the main game there's the Relic Quest, which take most players anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks, depending on the skill level of the player, how lucky they are with drops, and their ability to assemble good teams for the Hard Mode primal fights.

It's after this point, where content becomes a little iffy. But honestly, if you started now and absolutely zoomed through the 2.0 content, you probably still wouldn't quite be done with the Relic quest by the time 2.1 hit.

While I heartily recommend this game, I'd actually suggest holding off for a Holiday sale. It's quite possible, even likely, that you'll be able to find download versions of this game for 19.99 during the Holiday season. That means, not only will you be starting the game at about the same time 2.1 hits, but you'll have saved ten dollars, then you can put towards another months subscription.

Incidentally, I plan to take advantage of such a deal, to get this game as a Christmas present for my brother in law. Kinda hopeful that the game's added to Steam for this reason. I know it's on the Steam database, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Torquill

1) Is the story good?

Thanks.

1) For an MMO. The characters are are certainly more likable than 13's.

2) mmmm adequate. They could do better. The 2 end story dungeons are pretty damn rad IMHO.

3) The Main Scenario is mostly soloable, but does require the occasional group for dungeons and bosses. They are tuned pretty well for pickup groups though, and the Dity Finder makes it pretty easy to get a group for the content.

4) Id say 20-30 hours? I could be way off tho.

It sounds like you'd have fun completing the main scenario and calling it a day. Any content past that and you get into the more traditional MMOey stuff, lots of grind, hard fights that require finding 7 other people that don't suck, etc.

WolvenOne

4) Id say 20-30 hours? I could be way off tho.

I think that depends how often you're going to go, "off the story rails," so to speak. I myself found myself meandering and exploring during the story quest quite frequently, but somebody whom is more experienced in the MMO genre probably wouldn't.

Twenty hours seems way too low though. I think a very laser focused gamer could do it, but it'd be beyond almost everyone else, especially the first time through. I'd guess more around 30 to 50, with less experienced players taking longer.

I mean, except when there were server issues, I was playing 3-4 hours a night, and it was about a month after launch when I cleared the story. Granted, I missed a lot of days in the first two weeks due to server issues, but during the last two weeks alone, at four hours a night, that still comes down to 60 hours, just there.

Taruranto

1) Is the story good?

The story is utter shit and consist of mostly doing fetch quests "go talk to X and kill 5 mobs for 5 potatoes" for 90% of the game (not exaggerating), the remaining 10% is generally uninteresting and poorly written. (the villains get almost no screentime, there are a bunch of silly stuff)

There are some tidbit of interesting stuff from 1.0. lore, but they almost never brought up unless you do Coil.

The initial dungeon are awful, toward 30-32 they get much better. Some contain interesting mechanics and fun fights, though they are instance-theme park and mostly linear. There are no open-world dungeons.

Except for dungeons, the game can be completely soloed up to 50. You'll be forced to party for all the end-game content.

You can easily do everything but Coil (endgame hardcore dungeon) in one month of intensive play.

kierwynn

For pushing me, you're not getting on my door-raft when we are floating on the freezing ocean. I'm gonna let you be a gentleman and drown/freeze to death!

But you're the boy- the girl should get on the door. :,(

I finally got my first non battle class to 50!

All the purple!

I'm working on gearing up and everything. What am I looking to need for getting the best HQ chance at unspoiled nodes? Any specific like rotation/abilities/whatever that gets the best results?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom