• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandoric

Banned
They showed it on the last letter. Plans could've changed since then.

Ahh, I must've been alt-tabbed out. Still, I really expect SOMETHING fun for 120 days, and if it wasn't in 2.1 it'd be datamined by now.

Ugh can't want for servers to come back up, I want my goofy DQ7 hero hat!

Besides, there are enough mounts by now, that you'll only see a handful of people riding any given mount, in a given area. I mean, a lot of people really like them Coeurl mounts after all, and won't necessarily ditch em. Same goes with Chocobo, Unicorn, Magitech Armor, etc etc.

I love mixing them up job by job. BLM is perfect for a big, clomping magical machine, while BRD or another DPS fits Coeurl, and heavy-looking FC barding is great for a crafting quartermaster.

WolvenOne

Wow I hope not. I'm waiting on the warrior changes to see if I still want to play or not. Not pushing out balance fixes before 2.1 is making me question them running this game long term.

Most the updates, I can understand them holding out on. I can see why adding new content would create a lot of bugs, and it's probably easier to manage those bugs when you're doing fewer updates overall.

That said.

They were willing to Balance update the endgame dungeuns, and character adjustment shouldn't be that much more complex, unless they're making bigger changes than we thing. If it's the former, and it's mainly adjustments to the Cooldowns, they should go ahead and release the buff.

That's a fairly small update, all things considered. I can't see it causing, TOO many bugs.

WolvenOne

Ahh, I must've been alt-tabbed out. Still, I really expect SOMETHING fun for 120 days, and if it wasn't in 2.1 it'd be datamined by now.

Ugh can't want for servers to come back up, I want my goofy DQ7 hero hat!

I love mixing them up job by job. BLM is perfect for a big, clomping magical machine, while BRD or another DPS fits Coeurl, and heavy-looking FC barding is great for a crafting quartermaster.

I'd agree with that, I think a lot of people do actually. Which is probably why we don't see that many people running around in Magitech armor anymore, it doesn't really fit any of the current classes too well. Maybe it'd fit an Engineer or Musketeer class though.

Similarly, there aren't really any mounts that I'd call, "perfect," for Warriors. Paladins fit well enough on Chocobo's or Unicorn. The closest mount to come close to fitting, "WAR," however, is Coeurl, and even that isn't quite perfect.

The Coeurl model is, kinda small after all. They're practically kitten sized, in comparison to the Coeurls you see in field. War, in their Artifact Armor, practically dwarf Coeurl mounts. Well, okay not really, but you kinda expect mounts to be significantly larger then what they're carrying. Coeurl does work well for the DPS classes though. Their armor sets aren't nearly as bulky as WAR's, so the proportions work better.

hWzA0SV.jpg

AHHHH!!! WAAAAANT!! D:

"WTB Behemoth Steed"

It took 5 years but Goom can finally have his steed.

Mandoric

Banned
I'd agree with that, I think a lot of people do actually. Which is probably why we don't see that many people running around in Magitech armor anymore, it doesn't really fit any of the current classes too well. Maybe it'd fit an Engineer or Musketeer class though.

Similarly, there aren't really any mounts that I'd call, "perfect," for Warriors. Paladins fit well enough on Chocobo's or Unicorn. The closest mount to come close to fitting, "WAR," however, is Coeurl, and even that isn't quite perfect.

The Coeurl model is, kinda small after all. They're practically kitten sized, in comparison to the Coeurls you see in field. War, in their Artifact Armor, practically dwarf Coeurl mounts. Well, okay not really, but you kinda expect mounts to be significantly larger then what they're carrying. Coeurl does work well for the DPS classes though. Their armor sets aren't nearly as bulky as WAR's, so the proportions work better.

Hahaha, yeah. I think Magitek for BLM depends a lot on your character model; it makes a short, skinny Mi'qote or adorable round Tarutaru suitably imposing.

Behemoth will be great for WAR.

falastini

I use unicorn mount soley on my warrior. It looks dumb on Roeg, in general, so I figured I'd use it for the least compatible class.

WolvenOne

BTW, two things I noticed about the synopsis of things they'd be discussing for the 2.1 update during the next live letter.

1: No mention of Odin, Ramah, and Leviathan Primal Battles. Prior to release of the game, they were talking as if these might be 2.1 fights, but I think it's likely they're being delayed until 2.2. This is of course assuming they were ever intended for 2.1.

2: Treasure Hunts.

Oh, assuming the items are decent, and there are going to be decent monsters available for the TH's, these COULD be amazing. In fact it's one of a few features I've thought this game needed, as an occasional distraction to bosses and end game dungeons.

A similar feature I've had in mind, is a Veldt Lands type area, that you enter almost exclusively to hunt rare, super powerful monsters, in exchange for rare drops. (Mostly Mats)

I'd suggest that one to the devs, if I could! XD

Pretty sure they've always said there wouldn't be new Primals until 2.2. Mog and whatever this "battle against a memorable enemy" will be the only new trial fights alongside the Extreme Primals.

WolvenOne

A Veldt style area would be cool, they could add some classic FF bosses in there.

Yeah, kinda pictured it as a very large hunting ground area. More accurately, it'd be 3-4 maps, each roughly the size of Coarthas, and every time you took a mission they'd send you into one at random. Similarly, the directions (north south east etc,) would be randomly decided as well, as to make it more difficult to discern that it was actually only 3-4 maps. Each map would be fairly simple in design, and re-use textures like crazy, so designing them wouldn't be too difficult.

Anyhow, the game in this case, would be that you'd form a party, pick a monster to hunt, then you'd be given 20-30 minutes to track it down. Some monsters would leave large tracks, some would leave a trail of specific kinds of ADD's in their wake, and others would be at pre-determined locations, that you'd have to discern based on clues given during the start of the mission.

So, basically, the party would pick a mission, then have twenty or so minutes to map the area, find the Rare Monster, and bring it down. It'd be a good, and fairly simple way to add extra content. The only problem of course, being that they'd occasionally have to add new maps, and new monsters. With finite maps and finite Rare Monsters, eventually people would figure out farming strats, and grow tired of the side game.

So, while it'd be fairly easy content, it'd force them to do more in the future. Plus, they'd have to learn how to get more creative with the set-up as well.

Yeah, kinda pictured it as a very large hunting ground area. More accurately, it'd be 3-4 maps, each roughly the size of Coarthas, and every time you took a mission they'd send you into one at random. Similarly, the directions (north south east etc,) would be randomly decided as well, as to make it more difficult to discern that it was actually only 3-4 maps. Each map would be fairly simple in design, and re-use textures like crazy, so designing them wouldn't be too difficult.

Anyhow, the game in this case, would be that you'd form a party, pick a monster to hunt, then you'd be given 20-30 minutes to track it down. Some monsters would leave large tracks, some would leave a trail of specific kinds of ADD's in their wake, and others would be at pre-determined locations, that you'd have to discern based on clues given during the start of the mission.

So, basically, the party would pick a mission, then have twenty or so minutes to map the area, find the Rare Monster, and bring it down. It'd be a good, and fairly simple way to add extra content. The only problem of course, being that they'd occasionally have to add new maps, and new monsters. With finite maps and finite Rare Monsters, eventually people would figure out farming strats, and grow tired of the side game.

So, while it'd be fairly easy content, it'd force them to do more in the future. Plus, they'd have to learn how to get more creative with the set-up as well.

Seems if you were going to go that route, it wouldn't hurt to have the area be like the Mist filled areas in XII where your mini map is completely useless and the graphical effects of the Mist can lead you to believe there is something there...when there actually isn't anything there.

They showed it on the last letter. Plans could've changed since then.

Healing on all early dungeons as a higher level character who's been scaled down is super easy. On SCH in particular, at that level you have more healing power than a WHM since WHM doesn't have cure 2 yet, but with physick and the fairy, you're belting out much more powerful heals than a WHM can. It's too bad SCH has a big disadvantage in the 30-40 level band dungeons since they don't have leeches at that point.

I don't have a guide or anything, but I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Missed this earlier but if I decide to explore using SCH some more, I'll be sure to picque your brain.

WolvenOne

Seems if you were going to go that route, it wouldn't hurt to have the area be like the Mist filled areas in XII where your mini map is completely useless and the graphical effects of the Mist can lead you to believe there is something there...when there actually isn't anything there.

Mmmm, yeah you're probably right. I was originally thinking, "Veldt Lands," because the concept was already pretty close, and because of the Nostalgia factor. A mist filled forest however, would probably work a whole lot better. Also, you're probably right about making the mini-map next to useless. It'd still have to show the relative position of party members, and aggroed Mobs, but otherwise I don't see any reason to help the players keep oriented. Besides, it'd further hide the fact that it's only a few fairly simple maps.

Of course, this is just shoot-the-breeze style day dreaming. Something like that would be fun, but, I'd be shocked if they added something like that in the next few years. XD

Aeana

Missed this earlier but if I decide to explore using SCH some more, I'll be sure to picque your brain.
Even though I fully intended to level both WHM and SCH and have them available, I only ever really wanted to play WHM. I guess you could say I got dragged into SCH kicking and screaming, since my Coil group really needed a SCH rather than 2xWHM and now it's what I would designate as a "main" (unless it's a WP speedrun or the group I'm doing stuff with already has a SCH).

When I first started, I felt like it was really weak. I didn't think for a minute that a SCH could ever handle the kind of heavy-duty healing that WHM can. I was always afraid to be in situations where I would be doing the majority of the healing on SCH. It felt like a support job for WHM, the real healer. Of course, that's nowhere near the case, you just have to approach situations really differently than WHM does. As a WHM, when everybody's health bar is full, that's time for a breather. But as a SCH, I'd almost say that that's when you're working the hardest: your job is to anticipate damage and mitigate it before it happens. Your heals won't be as big as a white mage's, nor will your group heals ever do anywhere near medica 2, or honestly, even medica 1. When you're doing your job, people need less healing, so your perceived 'weaker heals' don't need to be as strong. You generate markedly less enmity than WHM, because you need to cast more stuff, more often. SCH also requires more micro-management than WHM because of aetherflow stacks -- 3 at level 50, and a charge is required for lustrate (your 'oh crap' flat 20% heal that even heals through healing effectiveness debuffs and cleric stance) as well as sacred soil, and refreshing it is of course your main source of MP -- and your fairies (and yes, you will want to be manually controlling your fairies when you can, because they're not going to be performing optimally on their most of the time by any stretch).

It's taken some time for me, but I now have a really deep appreciation for its capabilities and the totally different mindset one needs to be in to do well with it when compared to WHM. I guess you could say I really became a believer when things went bad in a Titan fight and I ended up solo healing on SCH, which was something I'd done on WHM, but didn't think I could ever do on SCH. I would wholeheartedly recommend anyone who plays WHM to give SCH a try, because if nothing else, it gave me an understanding of what SCH brings to the table, so that when I play WHM, I know what the SCH is thinking about and how they're going to be approaching healing.

Teknoman

BTW, two things I noticed about the synopsis of things they'd be discussing for the 2.1 update during the next live letter.

1: No mention of Odin, Ramah, and Leviathan Primal Battles. Prior to release of the game, they were talking as if these might be 2.1 fights, but I think it's likely they're being delayed until 2.2. This is of course assuming they were ever intended for 2.1.

2: Treasure Hunts.

Oh, assuming the items are decent, and there are going to be decent monsters available for the TH's, these COULD be amazing. In fact it's one of a few features I've thought this game needed, as an occasional distraction to bosses and end game dungeons.

A similar feature I've had in mind, is a Veldt Lands type area, that you enter almost exclusively to hunt rare, super powerful monsters, in exchange for rare drops. (Mostly Mats)

I'd suggest that one to the devs, if I could! XD

Why cant you? Type up a good forum post for it, and get enough likes for them to take notice.

We need double WarMech as a primal battle.

I'd take it. As long as it looks like this
XZARBpY6EHO0HkVaAARhd9cZdwY

Of course, you could just call it Alexander.

Even though I fully intended to level both WHM and SCH and have them available, I only ever really wanted to play WHM. I guess you could say I got dragged into SCH kicking and screaming, since my Coil group really needed a SCH rather than 2xWHM and now it's what I would designate as a "main" (unless it's a WP speedrun or the group I'm doing stuff with already has a SCH).

When I first started, I felt like it was really weak. I didn't think for a minute that a SCH could ever handle the kind of heavy-duty healing that WHM can. I was always afraid to be in situations where I would be doing the majority of the healing on SCH. It felt like a support job for WHM, the real healer. Of course, that's nowhere near the case, you just have to approach situations really differently than WHM does. As a WHM, when everybody's health bar is full, that's time for a breather. But as a SCH, I'd almost say that that's when you're working the hardest: your job is to anticipate damage and mitigate it before it happens. Your heals won't be as big as a white mage's, nor will your group heals ever do anywhere near medica 2, or honestly, even medica 1. When you're doing your job, people need less healing, so your perceived 'weaker heals' don't need to be as strong. You generate markedly less enmity than WHM, because you need to cast more stuff, more often. SCH also requires more micro-management than WHM because of aetherflow stacks -- 3 at level 50, and a charge is required for lustrate (your 'oh crap' flat 20% heal that even heals through healing effectiveness debuffs and cleric stance) as well as sacred soil, and refreshing it is of course your main source of MP -- and your fairies (and yes, you will want to be manually controlling your fairies when you can, because they're not going to be performing optimally on their most of the time by any stretch).

It's taken some time for me, but I now have a really deep appreciation for its capabilities and the totally different mindset one needs to be in to do well with it when compared to WHM. I guess you could say I really became a believer when things went bad in a Titan fight and I ended up solo healing on SCH, which was something I'd done on WHM, but didn't think I could ever do on SCH. I would wholeheartedly recommend anyone who plays WHM to give SCH a try, because if nothing else, it gave me an understanding of what SCH brings to the table, so that when I play WHM, I know what the SCH is thinking about and how they're going to be approaching healing.

Thanks, I like the explaination you gave. In a 8 man party, my easiest times have been when the other healer was a SCH. I already have a small taste of pet management since I have a level 45 SMN but I wouldn't mind exploring SCH more, just to see how it is. I already know how healing is as a WHM, won't hurt to see how it is from SCH's perspective.

Khatoz

I feel offended that I wasn't mentioned as a reason on why you became a great healer. You could probably write a whole chapter titled "Horrible tanks and me healing them". Guess that means I'm not doing my tanking job well and from now on will do 5 group pulls in WP!!

N.A

Banned
Info on the Lightning fates: http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2013/Lightning_Strikes/

Adventurers Struck by Disbelief
Taverns across Eorzea are abuzz with talk of a mysterious warrioress slaying creatures then vanishing as quickly as she appears. With rumors spread so far and fast, I thought this was perhaps the foretelling of another great adventurer, an heir to the warriors of light. Brief dialogues with those who have glimpsed upon her, however, have regrettably left me with more questions than answers.

When asked to describe her appearance, my informants swore that her garments were unlike anything ever to be woven or forged in the realm. More concerning, however, was her weapon—a strange blade that also serves as a firearm. Far be it from this humble scribe to question one who would protect Eorzea's people, but only the Garlean Empire has been known to wield weaponry of such bizarre form and function. Coupled with battle prowess said to leave even the most accomplished of adventurers in awe, one cannot help but wonder where her allegiance lies.

Under the assumption we are dealing with an adventurer whose exploits have remained unnoticed, I took it upon myself to consult with the Adventurer's Guild. Surely, I surmised, a heroine of such high caliber would have registered with the guild before running headlong into dangers unknown. And yet, no matter which branch of the Adventurer's Guild I visited, the answer was the same. No one in their records matches the description of this nameless crusader.
With so much left unanswered, there is perhaps no better place to unravel this mystery than on the battlefields where she is said to appear. Stay alert on your travels, dear reader, that you may find the answer to the burning question on everyone's lips.

Event Date and Times
From Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 8:00 to Monday, December 9, 2013 at 14:59 (GMT)
The story arc for this event is comprised of multiple quests that will be released at the following times:
Chapter 1: From Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 8:00 (GMT)
Chapter 2: From Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 8:00 (GMT)
Chapter 3: From Monday, November 18, 2013 at 8:00 (GMT)
Chapter 4: From Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 8:00 (GMT)

* Previous chapters will remain available as new chapters are unlocked.

Reknoc

hm, I haven't played this in a while, but for some reason I definitely feel like I need to return in 2 days.

wonder why

Torquill

Coil T1 spoilers:
Cleared Turn 1 for the first time last night. I didn't think I'd get glimpses of both Bahamut and Louisuix so soon!

frequency

I don't like that there are level requirements for the Lightning stuff all the way up to 45.

That cuts out a large percentage of their players - the "casual" players that would most enjoy stupid cosmetic things of no statistical value and silly side events "just for fun".

Torquill

I don't like that there are level requirements for the Lightning stuff all the way up to 45.

That cuts out a large percentage of their players - the "casual" players that would most enjoy stupid cosmetic things of no statistical value and silly side events "just for fun".
I'm not sure I agree. This is a very casual friendly game and I expect most people have at least one job that high.

We also don't know how the items are awarded. You may be able to get a weapon from the very first quest.

WolvenOne

I'm not sure I agree. This is a very casual friendly game and I expect most people have at least one job that high.

We also don't know how the items are awarded. You may be able to get a weapon from the very first quest.

Somebody who just very recently bought the game might miss it, but that's the sort of thing you risk when you don't buy an MMOs at launch.

aceface

I'm going for Scholar because I enjoy the tactical mindset for damage mitigation that you are describing here. However I HATE pet management. It's hard enough for me to manage my own damn self. Maybe I should just stick with WHM. It doesn't matter anyways, I'm getting both ARC and CNJ up to 30 (so slowly ;_;) so I'll probably give SCH a try and if I don't like it just switch over to WHM.

frequency

I disagree that most people have a 45+ job already. Even if it is casual friendly. Based on my experience with MMORPGs in general and my experience in this game with my server and FC, I very much doubt most people are 45+.

The items are level 13. So I assume they must be attainable before 45. But still to be locked out of quests based on level all the way up to 45 is not a good decision I feel.

And there are new players too. Not everyone started day one. The level requirement is simply too high for side promotional crossover content.

Note: I am a legacy player but started a new character with ARR (early access) with another NeoGAF member. The highest we have on those characters is 38. My current play style is the perfect example of casual. I will play multiple classes to 30 so I can unlock all jobs. I will set silly goals like getting a complete acolyte set despite way over-leveling the equipment. I will take hours of time each week to play older content to help people through long queues. I will take a week and a half break just because. I will spend an evening taking pictures of scenery. I am casual. Leveling is one of many choices for entertainment. 45 is a long way off.

I am also one of the few people (apparently) who would most appreciate seeing the full Lightning story. I will collect all the equipment if I can. I don't care that it doesn't improve my character. It is the type of event that would be a fun experience for me. And I am locked out of finishing the story because I'm not 45.

The event repeating in February will help me. But it won't help other casual players at a different stage of their FFXIV life. Having a level 45 FATE would be fine and cool. But for the story quest to be 45 for a temporary event is no good I feel.

studyguy

Praise Tanaka long enough and he will deliver!
Heavy Allagan armor dropped for us... too bad we both already have an AF2 chest and don't need it for our builds so no one wanted it. Everyone just hit greed and
the scholar got it :/

We also got a shitload of MNK gear!
We don't use MNK in BC for our group :/

Tanaka be praised.

BLCKATK

Heavy Allagan armor dropped for us... too bad we both already have an AF2 chest and don't need it for our builds so no one wanted it. Everyone just hit greed and

Tanaka be praised.

1/6 Drops were actually put to use this week in our runs. This is also the 2nd week in a row that the aiming gear that has dropped is gear that I already have. ;_;

WolvenOne

Tanaka be praised.

See, I already have my WAR AF2 chest piece, but you bet your buttons I'd roll on the Allagan chest piece if it dropped. It isn't leveled to 50 year, but I DO have a Paladin, and there's no way I'm going to have Tomes to spare for it's AF2 gear before 2.1 hits.

The way they have it set up now, it at least it allows everyone to enjoy the event to some extent and gain rewards.

I'm happy they upped the level requirement though, it's not fun to gain all these combat skills just to have 95% of them stripped due to the sync system.

pitbull

Banned

Tanaka be praised.

well ya'll clearly need to improve your group then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom