• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

Does it have voice chat? I have a PS3 headset but I can get a keyboard if that works better. I think I'll jump and buy the PS3 version, I want to feel the experience of playing a MMO from my couch :p

No voice chat in the game, no. If you are on Ultros GAF you can join us on mumble though.

Ultrabum

So I want to craft 2 star monk legs.

I have pretty good leatherworking gear/materia and I have all the lvl15 cross class skills except blacksmith and armorer.

Can I get a really high % chance to hq if I use HQ mats? Or do I need to get more lvl 50s and the other 2 lvl 15 skills?

I've been doing the iq, steady hand 2, hasty touch -> masters mend 2 with tricks of the trade whenever possible so far.

how good is the solo levelling experience, the questing, the story and so on? is this a MMO that actually has a great world. many of the latest MMOs have shallow worlds with not very interesting characters or stories to tell. I dont mind doing Kill this or slay that quests as long as its for a cause.

Reknoc

how good is the solo levelling experience, the questing, the story and so on? is this a MMO that actually has a great world. many of the latest MMOs have shallow worlds with not very interesting characters or stories to tell. I dont mind doing Kill this or slay that quests as long as its for a cause.

Pure solo you'll quickly hit a wall in the story as you're required to do group dungeons.

dramatis

I have pretty good leatherworking gear/materia and I have all the lvl15 cross class skills except blacksmith and armorer.

Can I get a really high % chance to hq if I use HQ mats? Or do I need to get more lvl 50s and the other 2 lvl 15 skills?

I've been doing the iq, steady hand 2, hasty touch -> masters mend 2 with tricks of the trade whenever possible so far.
Even if you have all HQ mats the quality boost at the start caps out at 15%.

I don't use Masters Mend 2 yet because of low CP, Manipulation is currently my go-to skill for durability recovery. Supposedly CRP lvl 50 Byregot's Blessing is a good skill, you can give it a shot if you're willing to grind up.

Easiest thing you can do, if you're in Ultros GAF FC, is find Xelios Seiken or Baramoht Kdfsdfoijl (WHATEVER) and fork over all your mats so they HQ your monk legs for you. Lol.

Taruranto

this is the best content they've released in months

23042667873118C0E735CF9CFEEED81802BD773B

look at how much fun we're having

I don't care about Lightning so I'm not too bothered about it (Weapons do look cool though), however things don't look good for future content of this kind.

Kinda wish they'd just introduce something akin to FFXI BCNM for this kind of content.

Ultrabum

Even if you have all HQ mats the quality boost at the start caps out at 15%.

I don't use Masters Mend 2 yet because of low CP, Manipulation is currently my go-to skill for durability recovery. Supposedly CRP lvl 50 Byregot's Blessing is a good skill, you can give it a shot if you're willing to grind up.

Easiest thing you can do, if you're in Ultros GAF FC, is find Xelios Seiken or Baramoht Kdfsdfoijl (WHATEVER) and fork over all your mats so they HQ your monk legs for you. Lol.

I'm on a different server :(

Also I'm kind of running out of things to do, and just wanted to craft something because I've never done a 2 star. But if I don't hq it, it's pretty much worthless.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Story is pretty great. Solo leveling is pretty easy for the most part. You do have to join parties to advance the story with the instanced dungeons, though.

Paprikka

I would get blacksmithing to 15 for Ingenuity first if you're going to try, otherwise you'll end up spending a large amount of durability just getting the progress up. Also if you have any extra steps under Ingenuity you'll want to use the biggest touches you can. It's better to use Byregot's Blessing here, but without it make sure you at least have Rumination ready if you need the extra cp.

I believe the 1 star items require the same amount of progress so you can always mess around with those for a bit to see what combination of Basic/Careful Synthesis it takes under Ingenuity to craft the item.

There will still be some luck involved though, so if you wanted to be sure there's a way to get HQ 100% of the time but it requires 50 WVR and CRP and quite a lot of materia.

Teknoman

I don't care about Lightning so I'm not too bothered about it (Weapons do look cool though), however things don't look good for future content of this kind.

Kinda wish they'd just introduce something akin to FFXI BCNM for this kind of content.

Yes please. I thought it was going to be an instanced quest what with the npc and all. But fates in their current form just arent a good idea for popular events. I know there is supposed to be some sort of fix coming soon where the game prioritizes enemy appearance and party members appearance...but its still not idea. Especially with people having the bright idea of spamming aoe for no reason near npcs or target areas.

dramatis

I'm on a different server :(

Also I'm kind of running out of things to do, and just wanted to craft something because I've never done a 2 star. But if I don't hq it, it's pretty much worthless.
I forgot about Ingenuity so what Paprikka said.

Not HQ-ing has a general purpose, you can either try to spiritbond it up to 100% (assuming you play monk) and convert to materia for selling, or you can still sell it at an acceptable price (someone out there may want it for spiritbonding).

Ultrabum

I would get blacksmithing to 15 for Ingenuity first if you're going to try, otherwise you'll end up spending a large amount of durability just getting the progress up. Also if you have any extra steps under Ingenuity you'll want to use the biggest touches you can. It's better to use Byregot's Blessing here, but without it make sure you at least have Rumination ready if you need the extra cp.

I believe the 1 star items require the same amount of progress so you can always mess around with those for a bit to see what combination of Basic/Careful Synthesis it takes under Ingenuity to craft the item.

There will still be some luck involved though, so if you wanted to be sure there's a way to get HQ 100% of the time but it requires 50 WVR and CRP and quite a lot of materia.

Thanks for the advise, I guess I'll go for bsm then.

I currently hq the 1 stars for money, so that is encouraging.

aceface

You can honestly solo a ton of stuff in this game. You can beat the main story having spent, oh, maybe about 5% of your playtime in parties. Now that 5% is required since you need to party to get through required story dungeons. But, if you are all about soloing you can only do the story dungeons once and never come back again. Not that I would recommend playing like that, for me playing with others is most of the fun.

Solo leveling is not bad. Really the required story quests will get your main class most of the way up to level cap at 50. IF you want to level up a second class, then you are stuck with Fate grinding, which some people have a strong aversion to.

The Endgame content after the main story is different though, completely focused on parties and group stuff.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
People in the FC have 5+, so I'm not anything special in that regard.

Bullshit!

That's a humble purple people eater relic brag =D

Now if all 3 are +1, Aeana, DAMN!

Lets see how many crystals stacks sold from last night

You can honestly solo a ton of stuff in this game. You can beat the main story having spent, oh, maybe about 5% of your playtime in parties. Now that 5% is required since you need to party to get through required story dungeons. But, if you are all about soloing you can only do the story dungeons once and never come back again. Not that I would recommend playing like that, for me playing with others is most of the fun.

Solo leveling is not bad. Really the required story quests will get your main class most of the way up to level cap at 50. IF you want to level up a second class, then you are stuck with Fate grinding, which some people have a strong aversion to.

The Endgame content after the main story is different though, completely focused on parties and group stuff.

sounds cool.

a few more questions if its okay;

1)How is the social engagement? ghost town? Do people talk? is there a good sense of drive and purpose behind being in a guild? - I miss playing with a guild with purpose.

2) I know there is not any pvp in the game, but is it possible to duel another player for fun?

3) can you move while attacking? if I want to be mobile and such?

4) are the system requirements high? I heard they where very steep in the original version!

5) compared to the world of other MMOs like WoW, how well put would you say the world is realized? characters, quest design, writing, rewards, loot and all that jazz?
The reviews I saw, I couldnt really get a sense of it, because a lot only talked about the differences with version 1, while others focused on end game. But for somebody who just wants a good world to play in... TERA is almost dead, Aion is almost dead. SWTOR is low key. WoW is old and so on. Not a lot of games left out there with interesting worlds.

chrono01

This was me waiting for Lightning to show up for the FATE's:

i3aCa5krw1s69.gif

Sometimes the FATE would start but Lightning wouldn't show. I don't know if that's intentional or not, but considering the spawn rates for the FATE themselves were horrible this morning [I'm talking close to 30 minutes sometimes...] it was irritating. I finally for all of the Final Fantasy XIII weapons before I logged earlier this morning, so at least that's out of the way.

WolvenOne

sounds cool.

1)How is the social engagement? ghost town? Do people talk? is there a good sense of drive and purpose behind being in a guild? - I miss playing with a guild with purpose.

2) I know there is not any pvp in the game, but is it possible to duel another player for fun?

4) are the system requirements high? I heard they where very steep in the original version!

5) compared to the world of other MMOs like WoW, how well put would you say the world is realized? characters, quest design, writing, rewards, loot and all that jazz?
The reviews I saw, I couldnt really get a sense of it, because a lot only talked about the differences with version 1, while others focused on end game. But for somebody who just wants a good world to play in... TERA is almost dead, Aion is almost dead. SWTOR is low key. WoW is old and so on. Not a lot of games left out there with interesting worlds.

Can't talk about 5, since I've never played other MMO's.

1: Not a ghost town, and the players are reasonably social. The FFXIV community started out rough, but it's been smoothing out pretty well over the past month, for the most part.

2: PVP is being added in 2.1, nobody can really comment on how good it is.

3: For Melee, Tanks, and Bards, yes. For Casters, no, at least not for most of their attacks.

4: The game can be extremly demanding, if you want it to be. Thankfully, so long as you're willing to slide the graphics settings downward, it scales pretty well, and can even be played on laptops.

WolvenOne

This was me waiting for Lightning to show up for the FATE's:

i3aCa5krw1s69.gif

Sometimes the FATE would start but Lightning wouldn't show. I don't know if that's intentional or not, but considering the spawn rates for the FATE themselves were horrible this morning [I'm talking close to 30 minutes sometimes...] it was irritating. I finally for all of the Final Fantasy XIII weapons before I logged earlier this morning, so at least that's out of the way.

Eh, considering the dialogue there consists of. "Hey, my name is Lightning," I'm not going to run that Fate over and over to see the model.

I get the impression that the first part of this event, is mainly there to distribute the cosmetic weapons. After that, if I still haven't seen lightning, meh.

Alucrid

Banned
sounds cool.

1 it's fine with a good guild provided your server is in the right time zone

2 no, pvp is coming in Dec though

3 depends on the class. Have to stand still for casting certain spells.

4 no, I have an old computer and run it fine. Won't be maxed out but it's easily above 30 fps on normal

5 writing is pretty good, a lot of humor thrown in. I don't really pay attention to stories in mmo couldn't tell you what wow was about. That said while probably smaller than wow I find the world to be pretty detailed

chrono01

Eh, considering the dialogue there consists of. "Hey, my name is Lightning," I'm not going to run that Fate over and over to see the model.

I get the impression that the first part of this event, is mainly there to distribute the cosmetic weapons. After that, if I still haven't seen lightning, meh.
The only issue was that if Lightning doesn't show up then you won't get the Otherworldly Parcel(s) as the FATE reward that's used for the weapon exchange. :(

WolvenOne

The only issue was that if Lightning doesn't show up then you won't get the Otherworldly Parcel(s) as the FATE reward that's used for the weapon exchange. :(

You get the Otherworldly Parcels, even if the Lightning Model gets culled out of the scene.

Seriously, wish they weren't holding the Culling Fix to 2.1

chrono01

You get the Otherworldly Parcels, even if the Lightning Model gets culled out of the scene.

Seriously, wish they weren't holding the Culling Fix to 2.1
Culled out yes, but there were times last night [or rather, early this morning when it started] where she didn't show up at all. No speech or anything.

I'm not sure if they fixed it, though.

creid

Culled out yes, but there were times last night [or rather, early this morning when it started] where she didn't show up at all. No speech or anything.

I'm not sure if they fixed it, though.
And it was definitely the right FATE? When I was playing this morning I'm pretty sure there was a FATE that produced similar enemies to the FFXIII FATE and was in the same spot as the FFXIII FATE, but wasn't part of the FFXIII event (and therefore didn't give event drops.)

Ferr986

I dont even know why im wasting time with this event, its so stupid...
I dont get why SE insist on doing FATE events with the server problems they have

chrono01

And it was definitely the right FATE? When I was playing this morning I'm pretty sure there was a FATE that produced similar enemies to the FFXIII FATE and was in the same spot as the FFXIII FATE, but wasn't part of the FFXIII event (and therefore didn't give event drops.)
100% yes.The Sister Crustacean and the Tender Buttons FATE's.

I know they were the correct ones since I literally sat myself in the area repeatedly doing them alongside other GAF FC members. Sometimes Lightning showed up [with the speech] awarding the Otherworldly Parcels upon completion, other times she didn't.

sounds cool.

For #3 as people have said, some classes can, some need to stop to cast. There is a bit of a caveat though, in that as melee you may be able to move while attacking, but don't expect to be able to hit moving targets. You will constantly see the animation go off but because the actual hit occurs at the end of the animation, and with latency/whatever other issues this game has, 99% of the time you will get an out of range notification anytime you are trying to attack something that moves. Any instant range attack doesn't have this problem unless they are already at max range and the mob moves away from them.

Number 5 relates to number 1. It would be hard for the game to be a ghost town with how small the world is. All the games you mentioned (other then SWTOR, just because I never played it so couldn't say) have bigger, more explorable gameworlds. Not even by a small margin. Think Tera, but smaller and with invisible walls surrounding every normal surface on the map, and none of the non instanced dungeons/caves systems/mansions/castles/wateter. If this is important for you, then this isn't the game for you. However you may be able to get some enjoyment out of just doing the main story quest since along the way you will get sent to every place on the map, and the story isn't badly presented.

aceface

sounds cool.

I can say that the GAF Free Company on Ultros is great. Plenty of chatter in the FC chat and people are always willing to help others with both low level dungeons and endgame content. Sometimes you might have to wait a bit while people are busy with other stuff but I've always been able to get people from the FC to party with. The few times I've gotten parties off of the duty finder the people have been nice but the bad thing about that is you get matched with random people from all servers right now so if you play with someone random that you like you will probably never see them again after the duty.

Outside of the FC and any linkshells you may be a part of there's little to no chat. I've gotten maybe 2 tells in two months from random people just running around and people hardly talk in the shout channel at all.

No pvp at all at this point, it's coming in December in 2.1.

You can, but don't be a casting class. Thamaturge, Black Mage, White Mage, Arcanist and Summoner to a certain extent all have to stand still while casting spells. For the Melee classes you can move around though. Archer/Bard have an advantage in that they can move and still do ranged attacks.

Don't really know! I mainly play on a PS3. I will say I got it running passably well on my early 2013 model macbook pro with graphics settings way turned down.

The writing is AWESOME, especially for random quests. It always makes me laugh. The world is...ok. If you do a lot of the optional quests it will take you to all the areas and you'll get a good feel for regional differences and such. One thing to note is that if you are a big Final Fantasy fan, this game has a ton of fanservice and throwback references to older games. Love that stuff.

sounds cool.

1: Get in a free company. There are plenty looking to recruit and attain that focus you're referring to. Outside of one, there's about as much interaction between strangers as any other modern MMO---meaning not a whole lot of worthwhile encounters (i.e. /shout conversations range between trashy and amusing, and people just yelling for some form of in-game party).

2. Next month. It sounds more like coliseum-style PVP and not something you can just do out in the overworld though. We don't know yet (at least I don't).

3. Kind of all over the place and class-dependent on how and when you move during the animations. The only class it really shines for is Archer/Bard though. It's an awesome advantage for them.

4. My three-year old computer runs it at high fine. 1.0 was the terribly optimized version, but 2.0 scales fairly well considering how good the game looks.

5. It has a good sense of detail, humor, and life to it. The Final Fantasy brand (and art direction) lends itself well to this and looks like it will continue to do so long term. I certainly prefer the world/lore/characters to some of its more modern competition, but you will have to accept that it's a freshly launched MMO and the content density will take time to build up. The world itself is rather small compared to its previous incarnation (but 1.0 was also rather infamous for having exactly the opposite problem), but it was never a problem for me personally. I still enjoy just hanging out in the areas and exploring sometimes. 2.0 even rewards you with EXP for exploring this time.

WolvenOne

For #3 as people have said, some classes can, some need to stop to cast. There is a bit of a caveat though, in that as melee you may be able to move while attacking, but don't expect to be able to hit moving targets. You will constantly see the animation go off but because the actual hit occurs at the end of the animation, and with latency/whatever other issues this game has, 99% of the time you will get an out of range notification anytime you are trying to attack something that moves. Any instant range attack doesn't have this problem unless they are already at max range and the mob moves away from them.

Okay, granted, most my DPSing experience is a War, not a proper DPS class. That said, "bwa?!" I cannot remember the last time I initiated an attack, only to get an out of range notification. Maybe once or twice when I was barely on the edge of the strike zone, but that's about it.

I dance around enemies while attacking all the time, usually in order to miss AoE's, or to trigger the Tail Swipe in Turn 1, before the split.

Edit: Oh wait, it does sometimes happen during the Pudding Boss in WP. Only if it's targeting another character however, and I'm under the Heavy Status effect.

pitbull

Banned
Okay, granted, most my DPSing experience is a War, not a proper DPS class. That said, "bwa?!" I cannot remember the last time I initiated an attack, only to get an out of range notification. Maybe once or twice when I was barely on the edge of the strike zone, but that's about it.

I dance around enemies while attacking all the time, usually in order to miss AoE's, or to trigger the Tail Swipe in Turn 1, before the split.

Edit: Oh wait, it does sometimes happen during the Pudding Boss in WP. Only if it's targeting another character however, and I'm under the Heavy Status effect.

he said moving targets....melee cant hit moving targets which is going to be hilarious for pvp

Christhor

And to think I was pretty excited about the Lightning event yesterday, despite not even liking Lightning. Why didn't they make it instanced? :(

dcye

Okay so I did the Lightning event and handed in the quest, I got a pair of gloves. How do I go about getting the weapons or any other items for that matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom