• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
I hate RNGs.

kfOkmmm.jpg

Farmed Ifrit about 12 times today, saw 3 axes, 2 swords, 2 spears, 1 WHM staff, 1 SCH book and 2 SMN book. Was happy to get my SMN book, no more 44 GC for me :) Man gotta say, joining a larger FC with a bigger pool of friendly players have made this game so much more enjoyable. Having others around to help with crafting and melding is awesome, not to mention relying less on DF to do dungeon runs :)

Anteater

Does regen give off a lot of hate early in the fight? I was having trouble getting enough enmity on war today at AV, crowd mobs run straight for the whm.

KeRaSh

Around what level should I concern myself with getting someone to meld materia to my equipment and what should I focus on as a DRG?
Is it different for specific equipment since everything has its own stat caps?

Pandacon

Does regen give off a lot of hate early in the fight? I was having trouble getting enough enmity on war today at AV, crowd mobs run straight for the whm.

Yeah, every tick of regen builds aggro. I usually avoid regen and medica 2 if I know adds are coming.

gribbles

Banned
Around what level should I concern myself with getting someone to meld materia to my equipment and what should I focus on as a DRG?
Is it different for specific equipment since everything has its own stat caps?

Level 50. You need them to meld the materia to your relic weapon.

Anteater

Yeah, every tick of regen builds aggro. I usually avoid regen and medica 2 if I know adds are coming.

Thanks, good to know, I guess I'll click it off if I have problems with it in the future, the run was a disaster with everything all over the place :<

Sorry whm Melonie if you're reading this!

Totakeke

Healing emnity is half of damage emnity per point basis. So assuming there's no additional emnity modifiers on the tanks (which happens if you just start the first hit of your combo without any cooldowns used) except defiance or shield oath which people say gives around 50% increase emnity, you need to do at least 75% damage of the regen tick to hold aggro over the regen tick.

Also I've seen people saying overhealing emnity is basically double normal healing emnity, so 1 damage = 1 healing point aggro, so that makes it even more unlikely that you can hold aggro if you just run up to a mob and start your aggro.

But if you use abilities/items that increase your emnity and start with shield lob/tomahawk instead which multiplies emnity 3x instead of starting your combo, you can even hold aggro against regen ticks immediately.

Actually there's surprisingly little solid data other than valk's analysis so a lot of those numbers I stated may not even be accurate. But the logic is there.

Odd, I'm usually good casting Regen with my tank keeping aggro fine~ :p

Issue is on the pull, and if your tank damage is much better in relative to your regen, then it's a non-issue.

Anteater

Odd, I'm usually good casting Regen with my tank keeping aggro fine~ :p

At the beginning of the fight, the adds would go straight for the whm when they haven't even reached me yet from the pull :( it's fine after a few aoes but I need to be able to do that first lol

I don't know what else is going on though but my friend told me it's usually the regen that make things tough at the beginning, the enmity was especially bad when melee accidentally run and aggro other stuff.

Amon-Lau

At the beginning of the fight, the adds would go straight for the whm when they haven't even reached me yet from the pull :( it's fine after a few aoes but I need to be able to do that first lol

I don't know what else is going on though but my friend told me it's usually the regen that make things tough at the beginning, the enmity was especially bad when melee accidentally run and aggro other stuff.
If you aggro gets really bad try using Shroud of Saints, that thing saved my life many times during hard times for healing~ :3

Rising_Hei

People that is permanently using regen at AK and Castrums speedruns sure are annoying, speciallt at Castrum....

And then, there's those healers that will always have regen on you regardless of the situation (for example, Castrum's boss fights -_-) what a shame

And they complain that they're always tanking

About Paladin.... i don't understand why everyone gets the AF2 Body... i mean, are all of you aware that Caduceus from BC drops the Allagan body? which is as good or even better >_> and it 's just Turn 1

Totakeke

People that is permanently using regen at AK and Castrums speedruns sure are annoying, speciallt at Castrum....

And then, there's those healers that will always have regen on you regardless of the situation (for example, Castrum's boss fights -_-) what a shame

And they complain that they're always tanking

About Paladin.... i don't understand why everyone gets the AF2 Body... i mean, are all of you aware that Caduceus from BC drops the Allagan body? which is as good or even better >_> and it 's just Turn 1

Relying on random drops is never a good idea.

Ken

are you aware that it's hideous

Totakeke

It's easy for healers to overaggro during Titan HM or CoB fights for example especially if they're overzealous with healing.

Yeah if you start a pull and still have regen on from a previous fight they will immediately attack the healer. I try to keep in mind the length of a fight and not regen if I feel it's going to be over quickly but sometimes I make a mistake or its just an accident out of habit. A lot of trash pulls don't require regen anyway.

Rising_Hei

are you aware that it's hideous

:eek: Darklight was 100 times worse, so... :p

Also... i don't need to save 3 weeks worth of points for the Body AF2 and improve in other areas :eek:

And it can be a good idea to rely on them, yes....

The other Paladin didn't upgrade the shield and he just got the allagan round shield which is as good... he saved up 300 points :p

Improving Curtana to +1 then rings, hands etc is the best choice imo

Totakeke

Either you get lucky or you can become another one of those guys who complain about not getting their ifrit weapons after farming it for x times.

Rising_Hei

Either you get lucky or you can become another one of those guys who complain about not getting their ifrit weapons after farming it for x times.

Still, what greens go we have if we're fully equipped?

RING, we have an AK RING, for god's sake :eek:

So... the better equipment improvement is there.

Curtana +1 <-- Is there anything better than this? NO, it helps you build aggro, too

So... getting Curtana +1 and then ring hurts none, if you're lucky while doing so and getting more points then you save up weeks of farmings and can improve your equipment in a whole new level, if you're not lucky then proceed to get AF2 Body, shield or wathever

Not hard to do this and it's a win either way

Totakeke

I'm just saying your logic of not getting a particular piece because it drops as a random drop in a particular dungeon you're clearing is flawed. You can get your stuffs in whatever order you like. To requote:

Ferr986

Question guys.

When I was getting my DL accesories, I went to the Striking ones for my DRG (+Critical Hit rate) cause everywhere said Critical Hit is the best stat after Strenght for DRGs.

But now I have heard that you need around 460 acc for Coil, an my acc right now is 446 (gear:http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1031522/. I do wonder if I had to get some of the Maiming acc for DRG. What do fellow DRGs at Coil think about this?

Thanks in advance :)

MechaX

I don't know what better solution SE could have done for the tomes, but good grief is grinding AK/CM/Prae monotonous. It's absolutely ridiculous, but I can somewhat see why so many shouts need relic +1 for a lot of these LFG runs.

But I guess that's just the nature of the endgame grind.

On another note, what would be sufficient gear for Garuda HM? I just unlocked that and I'm seriously tempted to just give up on the Ifrit Bow. It only adds one more attack (and +3 or so of Dex) compared to the massive upgrade the Garuda bow would be, and I know I'll actually need the Garuda weapon for Titan.

GorillaJu

I don't know what better solution SE could have done for the tomes, but good grief is grinding AK/CM/Prae monotonous. It's absolutely ridiculous, but I can somewhat see why so many shouts need relic +1 for a lot of these LFG runs.

But I guess that's just the nature of the endgame grind.

Yeah it definitely could be improved, but you don't HAVE to play the game every day and grind it out. Getting to the end of the story you've experienced the meat of the game - there's very little beyond it, and anything that takes excessive time and effort to get now will become easier over time. It's just the natural order for MMOs.

The "early adopter" premium for the latest and best top-end gear is a lot of your time.

Ken

i like to do 1 or 2 aks a night since that myth cap is so low anyways

no real way to get around that philo tome grind tho aside from not rushing yourself

Sblargh

Banned
I can barely do 2 AKs a day. Sometimes I tell myself I'll run it two times in a row just to get rid of it, but just can't.

It's just too tedious now.

GorillaJu

I don't have a problem doing 5-6 AKs a day, I can handle 9-10 Praetoriums, more if I have to. It's fun to me. I just enjoy playing the game, I guess.

edotlee

Question guys.

When I was getting my DL accesories, I went to the Striking ones for my DRG (+Critical Hit rate) cause everywhere said Critical Hit is the best stat after Strenght for DRGs.

But now I have heard that you need around 460 acc for Coil, an my acc right now is 446 (gear:http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1031522/. I do wonder if I had to get some of the Maiming acc for DRG. What do fellow DRGs at Coil think about this?

Thanks in advance :)

IMO, you should go for Relic+1, if anything.

Ferr986

IMO, you should go for Relic+1, if anything.

Absolutely. My next upgrade is going to be the relic+1 (well, I guess Ill get a maiming DL ring tomorrow).

Sadly, im still 2 weeks away from getting enough mythos (kind of regret getting the AF2 head now, but I wanted to gear up for Titan...)

GorillaJu

If you're a Bard, the most efficient path for upgrading items isn't to get the Relic +1 first, but to get AF2 gloves, ring and pants. After that, Relic +1 is the best use of Tomes.

This is specific to Bard though because the +1 upgrade is really miniscule compared to other classes.

I don't have a problem doing 5-6 AKs a day, I can handle 9-10 Praetoriums, more if I have to. It's fun to me. I just enjoy playing the game, I guess.

Same...I'm totally fine running AK. It's not really any different to me from sitting around in camp in FFXI for hours fighting the same mobs over and over again. At least you're constantly on the move in a dungeon and fighting a small variety of enemies. I would do all my runs on Mondays if the queue times weren't so bad.

Do you just have a Legacy chocobo you've been riding and haven't unlocked your actual Grand Company chocobo? Your companion chocobo will always be your GC chocobo, you can't party with your Legacy chocobo (as far as I know anyway). So you probably still have to do the GC quest to get that chocobo to proceed on to the companion.

Well, he still has his GC chocobo from 1.0 as well. But I suggested he check for the chocobo quest at his Grand Company next time he logs on. He might have never actually done that first chocobo quest, lol. We'll see. xD

For WHM, should I buy myth gear or go for +1 on relic first? Most people are saying +1, but some are saying that it's not too good for WHMs. Still think I'm going to +1 either way.

Also, what kind of gear is required for coil? I just got my relic weapon and will be getting my final DL piece soon.

I debated this internally for a few days while getting my 900 tomes. I was either going to get WHM AF2 body or Relic +1. I eventually went with Relic+1 because it was a bigger boost to your heals than the AF2 body (or any other upgrade). And it's the best in slot weapon until Turn 5 (and beating Turn 5 is still really far away for my group - we're on Turn 4). Allagan WHM body is pretty good and drops from Turn 4 as well. So... I would recommend Relic+1, but totally up to you. Part of the reason why I wanted the AF2 body is because I am sick of the cowl, lol.

----

I think people get PLD AF2 body because it looks far better than the ugly brown Allagan body. And people probably want to look like a PLD after spending so long looking like a black tin can in DL. :p

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Fuuuuck. I haven't played in 3 weeks and I forgot to log out in a sanctuary. Oh well. Got my 90 day sub rewards and logged out. Finna play after I sleep. Just got done working 65 hours the past 6 days.

Ultrabum

Same...I'm totally fine running AK. It's not really any different to me from sitting around in camp in FFXI for hours fighting the same mobs over and over again. At least you're constantly on the move in a dungeon and fighting a small variety of enemies. I would do all my runs on Mondays if the queue times weren't so bad.

Pretty much this. In AK at least you get to play the game, practice rotations, ect.

In CM it's just wait wait wait :(

GorillaJu

CM is a pain to dodge mobs, its a longer path in terms of objectives, more things can go wrong (like poor positioning on the rocket launcher areas), and the bosses are annoying.

Prae is just 1-enemy boss fights except for laser nodes during 1st phase of final boss, it's quicker than CM if the party has relics, there's less running around and the Magitek section allows you to get a lot of spiritbind progress on a separate set of gear for Materia-conversion. Always run Prae for Phil Tomes, it's better in every department.

If you're a fresh 50 in AF gear, however, CM is better.

i guess maybe the two bosses i can, everything else dies too fast

I don't envy you Dragoons. My rotation as Bard is simple as hell and I can keep deepsin while running around away from red shit. The most difficult thing is just figuring out how to sneak in my self-buffs to make sure that my DOTs are doing sexy damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom