• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mairu

I read it as them forcing us to fight even more monsters than before. I hope that's not the case.

Probably making it harder/impossible to skip most of the trash in CM. I look forward to seeing what they're doing with 'rewards' for trash.

I don't really enjoy doing CM over and over so I don't bother farming it, so that piece doesn't really bother me. Hopefully they don't add more trash to AK.

docbon

I read it as them forcing us to fight even more monsters than before. I hope that's not the case.

I heard they're going to turn the courtyard of AK into a hedge maze where you have to fight every trash pack to reach the stairs. Yup.

Allard

Well, I agree, but one part of it makes it seem like we'll *want* to defeat them (as they have no value as of now). I could be wrong, though.

Maybe I should spam Prae a bit this week just in case, though. xD Although really, Prae doesn't have that much trash anyways.

Maybe add single Philosophy currency drop per group kill? Like there is a leader in the group at random that drops 1 currency for everyone in the group.

Aeana

Maybe add single Philosophy currency drop per group kill? Like there is a leader in the group at random that drops 1 currency for everyone in the group.

Philosophy probably wouldn't make me want to go out of my way to kill stuff. Those are pretty easy to get as it is.

Taruranto

that means that critical > determination?

honest question here, I had no idea.

Well, you are bound to get conflicted opinions on this since people are still experimenting on stats and stuff, but for SCH, due to the fact the fact that Adloquium shield effect is double when you score a crit. (So when you heal for 800 you get a shield for 1600 hp) yes.

Determination and Spell Speed should be better for WHM on other hand.

Philosophy probably wouldn't make me want to go out of my way to kill stuff. Those are pretty easy to get as it is.

Yes they are easy... but honestly, anything that makes me run CM less is good.

Finally hit 50, and finished my job quest. Probably gonna apply to the NeoGAF FC on Ultros and work on my story quest. I can just finish the story without worrying about much gear wise yet, right? Then onto AK or Ifrit Hard? Or work on tombstones first?

Googling around I see a bunch of conflicting information regarding the best path to gearing up. Some people say skip Wanderer's some say don't. Thoughts?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Finally hit 50, and finished my job quest. Probably gonna apply to the NeoGAF FC on Ultros and work on my story quest. I can just finish the story without worrying about much gear wise yet, right? Then onto AK or Ifrit Hard? Or work on tombstones first?

Googling around I see a bunch of conflicting information regarding the best path to gearing up. Some people say skip Wanderer's some say don't. Thoughts?

Your story can be done in AF gear. So no need to upgrade.
If you are a tank or healer, go straight into AK. If you are a DPS, you could buy the strongest weapon you can from the marketboard and then attempt AK with an experienced DPS to show you the ropes/carry you.

Run AK non-stop until you hit your 300 myth cap (capping each weak is top priority). Afterwards run CM or Prae for philo tomes to get your darklight worked out or hop into Ifrit HM to farm for a weapon.

Mileena

Banned
Ugh, Square has a bigger problem with AK/Prae speedruns than they do RMT and hackers. Are they actively trying to kill this game already? Worst post launch support ever.

Got my Weaver lvl50 and made my HQ AF! :)

ffxiv_10092013_13335494km0.png

ffxiv_10092013_133417iwzba.png

dat pimp hat

studyguy

Trash mobs now drop seals at a .05% rate.
Turn in 30 of those seals and you'll get an equippable item that you soulbind.
Then you collect 600 more seals and combine the two
Soulbind that and you get dark matter or a relic+3, though the relic only has a .00001% chance
We're calling this the Tanaka Update

So as a lvl 50 Summoner, does anyone know what secondary stats I should be aiming for? I see in the past few pages people are saying Crit>Determination for Scholars, is that true for Summoners as well?

studyguy

So as a lvl 50 Summoner, does anyone know what secondary stats I should be aiming for? I see in the past few pages people are saying Crit>Determination for Scholars, is that true for Summoners as well?

Once you hit the ACC requirements, I've heard it's CRIT > DET as well. Not sure what else.

danthefan

I have my finger hovering over the "purchase" button here, but before I do could anyone tell me how much grinding is involved here? How much of my life do I need to sink into it to get anywhere?

So October 15th for server transfers? Cool. My RL friend will be able to join me finally. Assuming they don't limit people on populated servers. :(

I have my finger hovering over the "purchase" button here, but before I do could anyone tell me how much grinding is involved here? How much of my life do I need to sink into it to get anywhere?

Not much grinding going from 1-50 the first time. The end game had a good bit of grinding unfortunately (like most MMOs, but I feel like here it's a little bit more annoying). On later jobs, you'll mostly be grinding FATEs to reach level 50 unless you saved sidequests from the first one.

Caj814

Before I get some sleep could anyone who has endgame WAR as a main provide some positive advice for one that's about to approach the endgame circle? Almost every topic I see on the official forums and others always goes back and forth with" PLD > WAR, PLD > WAR, PLD > WAR, PLD > WAR, PLD > WAR, PLD > WAR," "Why are you playing WAR? Play PLD?" "You'll never get invited as a WAR level PLD!" "You'll hold your group back if you play WAR, play PLD!" "Here! Look at these calculations! It's in the math!" etc etc.

falastini

Before I get some sleep could anyone who has endgame WAR as a main provide some positive advice for one that's about to approach the endgame circle? Almost every topic I see on the official forums and others always goes back and forth with" PLD > WAR, PLD > WAR, PLD > WAR, PLD > WAR, PLD > WAR, PLD > WAR," "Why are you playing WAR? Play PLD?" "You'll never get invited as a WAR level PLD!" "You'll hold your group back if you play WAR, play PLD!" "Here! Look at these calculations! It's in the math!" etc etc.

Positive advice? You can do all content. You won't notice the difference between the two tanks until you do Titan HM/Coil. Everything else is true.

studyguy

Positive advice? You can do all content. You won't notice the difference between the two tanks until you do Titan HM/Coil. Everything else is true.

BC T4, a WAR offtank actually does okay since it's a DPS race and the offtank needs to kite a shiteload of things all day.

falastini

Uh well usually the tanks are too worried about not dying to contribute massively to the DPS.

I don't think he's talking about WAR dps. T4 is supposed to be a DPS race. Some groups have found ti beneficial to have a WAR OT because their threat is a little better than PLD, which allows the DPS to deeps harder.

It's still a niche situation. Pretty much everything else endgame is preferred PLD/PLD not PLD/WAR and certainly never WAR/WAR.

aceface

So, I'm going to do Titan today. What should I look for again? This isn't hard mode, just the story version. I'm level 37 archer/bard if that matters.

In the second half of the fight when he starts doing those thrust attacks that push you back, if you are targeted in one run out of it AND towards him. Cause even if it seemed to you like you were out of it by a mile, chances are you ll still get knocked back, and out of the fight if you are too close to the edge.

pablito

Start AK runs with gear locked. Killing mobs makes them drop cells to unlock gear slots.

#salvagerebirth

lol droprates aside (fucking bees...), i loved salvage. one of the endgame activities i had to tank on my samurai with, which i enjoyed immensely. if i went nuts in sky, sea, limbus or dynamis i'd die and get on peoples nerves. not in salvage though!

Cryst

Can someone explain the crafting "AF" gear to me? Is it like the DoW/DoM AF where I hit a certain level near cap, and get rewarded really nice crafting gear from a quest, or do I get a Weaver or Leatherworker to make it for me?

I'm about level 25 in all crafting/gathering and currently taking my time getting to 50. Have yet to decide on a focus, but I imagine weaving and leatherworking would provide most of the crafting gear I'd need for the others.

danthefan

Not much grinding going from 1-50 the first time. The end game had a good bit of grinding unfortunately (like most MMOs, but I feel like here it's a little bit more annoying). On later jobs, you'll mostly be grinding FATEs to reach level 50 unless you saved sidequests from the first one.

Thanks, I think I'm going to leave it for now. Will get the PS4 version maybe.

studyguy

Uh well usually the tanks are too worried about not dying to contribute massively to the DPS.

I mean less in the way of DPS and the fact that overpower holds a group well with flash weaved in. The OT has to manage quite a few of them for a while during a few phases.

RPGCrazied

Well, that was lame. My very first hard time in a dungeon. I even got cursed at. I know you can die from him knocking you off the ledge, but he seems to do that from anywhere to me. You can't even be behind him? Maybe I'm to close to him. I can't even imagine this on HM.

Sblargh

Banned
Done Titan HM for the first time today and holy shit people aren't kidding about the step up in difficulty.

At one point, I critical'd an adloquium on the PLD, which usually means that health bar will stay right where it is for at least 5 seconds, and Titan just punched it out.

And I know he has a clear pattern, but you can't think this stuff through, you either develop a habit of fighting or... I don't know, it's hard to think about what the next thing in the pattern is when there is always something else to worry about.

Well, that was lame. My very first hard time in a dungeon. I even got cursed at. I know you can die from him knocking you off the ledge, but he seems to do that from anywhere to me. You can't even be behind him? Maybe I'm to close to him. I can't even imagine this on HM.

Try not just watching for the indicator on the ground, but for him turning towards you and the cast bar near his name. This can help a lot with dodging the move.

Also, I found Leatrix Latency Fix to help me a lot: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

Shouta

Done Titan HM for the first time today and holy shit people aren't kidding about the step up in difficulty.

At one point, I critical'd an adloquium on the PLD, which usually means that health bar will stay right where it is for at least 5 seconds, and Titan just punched it out.

And I know he has a clear pattern, but you can't think this stuff through, you either develop a habit of fighting or... I don't know, it's hard to think about what the next thing in the pattern is when there is always something else to worry about.

Pattern is pretty set. You'll learn it as you get beat up a bit more, lol

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

It's like learning to ride a motorcycle. At first everything is so involved, it is hard to remember to shift or countersteer. After a while you learn more and free up some brain bandwidth to tackle other things.

I recommend everybody PUG Titan for 2 weeks or so to learn the fight and expand your awareness.

I won't even carry somebody through if they aren't up to the skill required for that fight because it is cruel to dump them into BC that way.

RPGCrazied

Try not just watching for the indicator on the ground, but for him turning towards you and the cast bar near his name. This can help a lot with dodging the move.

Also, I found Leatrix Latency Fix to help me a lot: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

And I like how if one person dies, its pretty much a wipe, even if your other party members are doing well or so it looks like they are. Just wtf. Can't really see shit when you are at the bottom of the cavern.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
And I like how if one person dies, its pretty much a wipe, even if your other party members are doing well or so it looks like they are. Just wtf. Can't really see shit when you are at the bottom of the cavern.

Most endgame fights are this way. One person out of 8 making the slightest wrong move can wipe the whole party.

There is even a time where you are meant to die in a certain place and res at a certain time (turn 5)

So in regards to the level 50 dungeon mob hotfix, is anyone optimistic about it? Lol.

I'm optimistic that they plan to offer some form of extra incentive to clearing said trash. They've responded multiple times on the forums that the development team was aware of the complaints after they fixed AK speedruns.

Now whether the new incentive will be something worthwhile, or just 3 gil drops, remains to be seen.

So in regards to the level 50 dungeon mob hotfix, is anyone optimistic about it? Lol.

I'm surprised that FFXIV doesn't behave like practically every other MMORPG in existence where any trash mob you haven't killed automatically aggroes when you attack the boss.

Any advice for a warrior who is building darklight right now. This week I will have 600 myth tomes, next week 900. Looking for advice on buying that first item. I have everything in a spread sheet and it looks like Warrior body would be a good investment or should I concentrate on relic weapon first?

i went straight for AF2 for BP and helmet, didn't buy the DL piece. doing fine, but haven't done coil yet. taking my time.

i went straight for AF2 for BP and helmet, didn't buy the DL piece. doing fine, but haven't done coil yet. taking my time.

I did the same thing. I refused to wear that stupid looking Darklight tank body piece and went for the AF2 head and body, just picked up my body piece yesterday. It's gonna be another long wait for the Relic +1 but I am also in no real rush. There's no point fretting over the stats differences when there will be plenty of time to save up tomes, I'd rather look cooler now. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom