• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baleoce

Question bump for new page: Just bought an SSD and am reinstalling OS from scratch (not much choice cos i'm running 8.1 preview). Anyone know how I can backup my hotkey/macro/UI settings in ARR?

Alex

It's different in this game, though, since it's all on your one character. Being able to cover each of the roles to fill out groups is pretty great, IMO.

Until you hit end game and have the wall of lockouts and caps. I always enjoyed the XI system but it doesn't work (like a lot of things in this game) with the elements they lifted willy nilly from other MMOs.

Aeana

Until you hit end game and have the wall of lockouts and caps. I always enjoyed the XI system but it doesn't work (like a lot of things in this game) with the elements they lifted willy nilly from other MMOs.
I'm already well-embroiled in the endgame, and I discussed the lockout thing only a few posts ago.

Ultrabum

I'm already well-embroiled in the endgame, and I discussed the lockout thing only a few posts ago.

Ya but that's more like not letting gear go to waste. There is nothing you can do to gear up 2 jobs at once.

I want to play monk and sch. I main monk and if heals don't need it I can greed on it, but I can't go out and grind for gear on my sch.

So far I have 0 sch coil drops :(

Also this approach has me never playing sch. So ya I think you are locked to only 1 job for coil.

Aeana

Ya but that's more like not letting gear go to waste. There is nothing you can do to gear up 2 jobs at once.

I want to play monk and sch. I main monk and if heals don't need it I can greed on it, but I can't go out and grind for gear on my sch.

So far I have 0 sch coil drops :(

Also this approach has me never playing sch. So ya I think you are locked to only 1 job for coil.
But you're also still getting myths that you can use on your other job, since allagan and myths fill the same slot, and for many jobs, one is better than the other. Especially in the case of SCH, myth stuff is often better than allagan. For white mage, it's often the opposite. I think the main issue here is that everybody wants to be able to max everything right away. Maybe I'm just more patient.

Ultrabum

But you're also still getting myths that you can use on your other job, since allagan and myths fill the same slot, and for many jobs, one is better than the other. Especially in the case of SCH, myth stuff is often better than allagan. For white mage, it's often the opposite. I think the main issue here is that everybody wants to be able to max everything right away. Maybe I'm just more patient.

Personally, I'm just frustrated that the most fun and exciting content is locked to one time per week.

And that I only get to experiance it on one job, when I would like to play the other roles for it as well. Perhaps in the future my static will have enough geared alts to switch around.

Totakeke

In the end I think they still made a bad decision to not further extend the end game first and they'll be losing a portion of the subscribers unless pvp is really good (doubt it).

desu

In the end I think they still made a bad decision to not further extend the end game first and they'll be losing a portion of the subscribers unless pvp is really good (doubt it).

Enough people that care only about raiding are already canceling their subs (no surprise, I barely know what to do for the next 3-4 months. Extreme mode primals sounds like a lot of fun though).

Yu Narukami

Did they say anything else about the BRD nerf? I only read something about a cross-class skill being nerfed. I think it was Internal Release.

creid

Man, I'm so excited for 2.1. Sounds like leveling up additional classes is going to be a lot smoother in 2.1 so I wish I could wait, but I don't have much else to do now aside from leveling other classes :/

WolvenOne

I concur with this assessment. While I hate being critical of other players, there's definitely an impatience factor going on for some players. Heck, even when 2.1 hits, if you have full AF2 there still isn't going to be, "thaaat," much of an incentive to scramble for Allagan gear. It's not as if we're talking about a huge difference in overall stats here.

WolvenOne

Man, I'm so excited for 2.1. Sounds like leveling up additional classes is going to be a lot smoother in 2.1 so I wish I could wait, but I don't have much else to do now aside from leveling other classes :/

Well, I'm probably going to start another game before too long here, and mainly log in to cap myth and run Coil for a few weeks. I know that probably sounds like a huge waste to other people, but frankly I think it's probably healthy to put MMO's on the backburner intermittently.

For starters, it'll keep you from burning through all the content on them too quickly, or burning out in general. I just wish MMO subs were a little less costly, since, I'm certain that 12-15USD a month does encourage some people to play this way.

Aeana

$12-15 is less than some people spend on lunch every day. It's such a super good value, even if you only play a couple of days per week.
Sometimes I think people forget to factor in the activities you're not doing if you're playing an MMO. It always works out to be a significant money saver for me.

studyguy

Very excited for 2.1. In terms of cash paid out, the 180 day sub w/ legacy prices is cheaper than a god damn new game for me, so it works out just fine considering I don't bother playing much else.

studyguy

Wait, so Allagan is being increased to ilvl95? Fuck, I shouldn't have passed on Allagan Bow. T_T

It's being raised, but I don't think there was any mention of a stats change. I mean the assumption would be that there would be some statistical change since that's basically what an ilvl does... but who knows. Some people say Allagan weapons are the only thing being raised, others say Allagan gear in general, heard others say Allagan & Myth.

No clue.

WolvenOne

$12-15 is less than some people spend on lunch every day. It's such a super good value, even if you only play a couple of days per week.
Sometimes I think people forget to factor in the activities you're not doing if you're playing an MMO. It always works out to be a significant money saver for me.

Oh, it is, though I will admit that the sub has scared me off from trying many other games in the past. To be fair though, most of these were games I would've been on the fence over even without a sub. FF11 is the only game I wasn't on the fence over, even with a sub, but by the time I had a PC that could play it the game was considered to be well beyond its prime.

Still, regardless, I think a lot of people would be better served if they spent at least 1-2 nights a week playing something else. It'd make the content last longer, keep gameplay from getting repetitive, etc etc.

Mairu

Crystal Tower sounds pointless, but I'm looking forward to dungeons being the best method of leveling. I wasn't awake to watch the stream but it sounds like the extreme primals should be a good challenge... assuming the rest of my FC is still around when 2.1 releases :x

studyguy

I fully expect for Garuda extreme to bring the return of the 1.0 Wind of the X dodging mechanics to return. For some reason Garuda has it in Story mode, but it's absent in hardmode. Also the fact that people have gotten so used to not dodging ifrit plumes due to stuns in ARR is bizarre to me as that was a basic thing of 1.0. I expect thousands of deaths caused by people running plumes into casters/tanks/dps because no one has a frame of reference for how to position from stunning them all if they're made unstunnable.

Did they announce ARR-2: Tanaka Returns?
HAMLETS CONFIRMED FOR ARR, SEALS ARE COMING BACK AND THE DROPRATES ARE LOWER THAN EVER, PLEASE LOOK FORWARD TO IT.

BLCKATK

Crystal Tower definitely should have been in here at the beginning, but after this patch there is no better time for a new player to jump in or someone that didn't make it to 50 to return. Plenty of new experiences for new 50s.

Unfortunately people already at endgame only really have Extreme Primals to challenge themselves with (Assuming they've already completed the entire Binding Coil, I have no idea what percentage of the population has beat it) but hopefully there is some nice incentive to get in there and do those fights.

I know that for myself, my enthusiasm about the game is slowly dwindling away. I enjoy go on my other 50 jobs and relearning everything about them, finding out the best things for me. But for progression on my main job, I am hindered by how much my coil static wants to run and work at the fight. I'm embarrassed to say that we've been stuck on Phase 2-3 of Twintania for nearly 2 weeks at this point. Everytime we run it takes us time to get warmed up, and if someone isn't on their A game its a pretty quick road to constant wipes. My group is definitely getting tired of the fight (and I'm sure they are tired of my enthusiasm about it) so our attempts become less and less frequent. We have the damage, and the gear to an extent, but if something goes wrong (Healer targeted by Conflag, Healer targeted by fireball and has to run into Conflag, people not being aware in general) its instantly a wipe. Just very frustrating how unforgiving the fight is. I enjoying challenging myself but my success is completely reliant on other people being as attentive.

aceface

Sort of a newbie scholar question here...I was wondering if since Scholar and Summoner both have Arcanist as their base class (I believe) if they can be leveled up simultaneously. For example if I do story quests and solo instances as a summoner and go up to level 33, if I wanted to switch over to scholar to heal a dungeon would I automatically be a level 33 SCH? I'm wondering since it always says you're getting Arcanist experience points and afaik it's Arcanist experience for both scholar and summoner. Thanks!

Alucrid

Banned
Sort of a newbie scholar question here...I was wondering if since Scholar and Summoner both have Arcanist as their base class (I believe) if they can be leveled up simultaneously. For example if I do story quests and solo instances as a summoner and go up to level 33, if I wanted to switch over to scholar to heal a dungeon would I automatically be a level 33 SCH? I'm wondering since it always says you're getting Arcanist experience points and afaik it's Arcanist experience for both scholar and summoner. Thanks!
Since it's Arcanist that levels up your SMN and sch level up at the same time

Mairu

So who's got the most understandable/watchable guide for Twintania? Likely going to start pushing forward on that fight soon

WolvenOne

Crystal Tower definitely should have been in here at the beginning, but after this patch there is no better time for a new player to jump in or someone that didn't make it to 50 to return. Plenty of new experiences for new 50s.

Unfortunately people already at endgame only really have Extreme Primals to challenge themselves with (Assuming they've already completed the entire Binding Coil, I have no idea what percentage of the population has beat it) but hopefully there is some nice incentive to get in there and do those fights.

Very, very, very, VERY few people have beaten Coil. Heck, I think less then half the people playing have gotten to Turn 4 year. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that well half of players have made it past Turn 2.

Coil, isn't anywhere near remotely close to being a casual friendly instance.

Anyhow, if you're feeling like you're burning out, go do something else for a week or two. Just cause you're playing this game, doesn't mean you can't do something else from time to time.

BLCKATK

Very, very, very, VERY few people have beaten Coil. Heck, I think less then half the people playing have gotten to Turn 4 year. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that well half of players have made it past Turn 2.

Coil, isn't anywhere near remotely close to being a casual friendly instance.

Anyhow, if you're feeling like you're burning out, go do something else for a week or two. Just cause you're playing this game, doesn't mean you can't do something else from time to time.

B-But I can't miss my mythology cap! I'll be at a disadvantage!!!

I already started up a file on my roommates Dragon's Dogma, so that will distract me after I cap for the week.

WolvenOne

B-But I can't miss my mythology cap! I'll be at a disadvantage!!!

I already started up a file on my roommates Dragon's Dogma, so that will distract me after I cap for the week.

Disadvantage for what? I've heard of some people going through most of Coil with Darklight Gear, so long as you have 1-2 pieces of lvl90 armor you're fine. PVP will be using different armor than the primary game, and there'll be a ton of intermediary armor options introduced in 2.1.

The game isn't that kind of competition. Your ability to handle the mechanics of the various fights, makes far more of a difference then having the absolute best possible armor.

So if you want to skip the Myth cap for a week to do something else, go ahead. There's no reason not to.

WolvenOne

I think more people are on T4/T5 than you realize. Coil in and of itself (aside from T5 obviously) is really not all that difficult.

The lack of DF, and inability for experienced players to travel back, have effectivly locked out a huge portion of the player base. Look at how many players had to pay to be carried through Titan HM. You can bet your button that the vast majority of those players are struggling with the early stages of Coil.

studyguy

I think more people are on T4/T5 than you realize. Coil in and of itself (aside from T5 obviously) is really not all that difficult.

It's hard to judge, I see a shitload of people in myth gear now, but still hear a ton of complaining about Titan being hard which is bonkers to me.

Aeana

Today Yoshida already said that only a small percentage of players are advanced in Coil. And going by my own Free Company, I'd believe it. Trying to think of the number of groups who have beaten turn 4, I think it's... 5. And at least one of those groups is mostly people not from our FC. [And it's a fairly large FC]

WolvenOne

It's hard to judge, I see a shitload of people in myth gear now, but still hear a ton of complaining about Titan being hard which is bonkers to me.

Well, I had a few pieces of AF2 Armor for Titan HM, and still died regularly until I got into a good group. Also I wouldn't be surprised if some players were matching AF2 with AF1, for aesthetics.

creid

Well, I'm probably going to start another game before too long here, and mainly log in to cap myth and run Coil for a few weeks. I know that probably sounds like a huge waste to other people, but frankly I think it's probably healthy to put MMO's on the backburner intermittently.

For starters, it'll keep you from burning through all the content on them too quickly, or burning out in general. I just wish MMO subs were a little less costly, since, I'm certain that 12-15USD a month does encourage some people to play this way.
Yeah, if I wasn't in the process of moving & have a backlog to clean out, I'd at least be capping myth every week. Since I don't seem to have any prospects for joining a Coil group, the drive for Myth gear is pretty low, so I'm mainly leveling up the other classes so I can use all this AK gear, and clean out the lower-level gear from my inventory.

Today Yoshida already said that only a small percentage of players are advanced in Coil. And going by my own Free Company, I'd believe it. Trying to think of the number of groups who have beaten turn 4, I think it's... 5. And at least one of those groups is mostly people not from our FC. [And it's a fairly large FC]

Must just be the server I'm on then. Everyone I've talked to has at least 1 group on T4/T5if not multiple groups....and here I was thinking I was on a derp server cause it took us like 3 weeks longer to beat Titan than most other servers

BLCKATK

Disadvantage for what? I've heard of some people going through most of Coil with Darklight Gear, so long as you have 1-2 pieces of lvl90 armor you're fine. PVP will be using different armor than the primary game, and there'll be a ton of intermediary armor options introduced in 2.1.

The game isn't that kind of competition. Your ability to handle the mechanics of the various fights, makes far more of a difference then having the absolute best possible armor.

So if you want to skip the Myth cap for a week to do something else, go ahead. There's no reason not to.

I was trying to make a joke about it, probably should have put a /sarcasm there.

I'm already almost done with gearing out my BRD. I have 7 Item Level 90 pieces and I'm working on my 8th. I enjoy doing dungeons and acquiring the mythology gear so I will definitely log in for that satisfaction.

It's not a competition for sure, but anything I can do to help myself and my group out I'll try my hardest to do. And to improve myself, I gotta gear up more. That's my drive for playing this game currently. That and the hope of conquering Twintania soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom