• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

They really have to add some form of stat manipulation. Accuracy is absurd in this game when you have zero means to influence it.

I think they should just rework the attribute allotment from leveling. Let you put points into sub-stats as well, 1 into a primary or ~6 into a sub-stat. That alone would fix so much and be more interesting.

In general this game could really use more customization, there's really little you can actually tweak or tune or play with.

Even though I love customization and I prefer it, there's little point to it in an MMORPG where the community will immediately adopt a certain build as basically mandatory so your agency is completely revoked regardless.

aceface

Mai waifu from the arcanist job quests.
1468591_10152044014887375_2125620289_n.jpg

~I will protect you~

Not really, she died about 30 times in that dumb Arcanist lv. 30 quest.

studyguy

Even though I love customization and I prefer it, there's little point to it in an MMORPG where the community will immediately adopt a certain build as basically mandatory so your agency is completely revoked regardless.

The thing is 1.0 players already voted for our current stat style overwhelmingly when asked during player polls. I doubt they'll rework the entire stats system twice over when they already overhauled the shit out of the original.

Mupod

Why's everyone dismissing crystal tower as 'pointless'? I mean, I never played FF11 or 1.0, but in my experience with other games there's usually at least one reason to do a lower ilvl dungeon on your 'main'. I understand that loot in this game is pretty boring and straightforward statwise but there might be some kind of perfectly itemized thing for a specific slot that might end up useful.

The lack of DF, and inability for experienced players to travel back, have effectivly locked out a huge portion of the player base. Look at how many players had to pay to be carried through Titan HM. You can bet your button that the vast majority of those players are struggling with the early stages of Coil.

So then the solution is:

1. These players can stop banging their heads against a wall and find a regular group for endgame content instead of complaining about how they are 'locked out' of things

or

2. Turn the game into what World of Warcraft became. Press a button to access piss-easy raid content, mindlessly zerg it down with no strategy because nobody has patience for that shit, receive loot.

If you don't want to play by the game's rules I don't think the game has to change. Sorry if I sound condescending but I've seen what the 'everyone gets a prize' system does to an MMO and its community and I don't like it.

Wouldn't more people running dungeons, decrease wait times? Most the time people end of waiting on Healers, Tanks, and occasionally even DPS. If more of all three are trying to run dungeons daily, there should be less of a hold up.

Also, while I approve of Hardmode Copperbell and Haukke, I was kinda hopeful for HM Brayflox and Qarn. XD

Yes, sorry that's what I meant. The time to wait would be shorter. My bad.

I thought they were going to do Sastasha, Tam Tara and Copperbell. I was right about Copperbell.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why's everyone dismissing crystal tower as 'pointless'?.

Cause it was suppose to be a bridge from AK to Coil

It was the filler, ilvl60/70 (crafted) > ilvl80 > ilvl90

Thing is CT was suppose to be the start of you trying to form your static and getting to know each other, work with 2 other parties, then when you got geared up, you moved to Coil

Most players just bum rushed to Coil and just bashed heads to get it done end game wise
After a month and half of throwing bodies at it and winning, they got geared up

Coil Turn 5 was suppose to be the push back from the devs saying, your not ready yet to finish
Some got lucky to a glitch, then BG figured out the mechanic and posted it, most groups across all servers were getting it to 10-20% but always got owned in the end
Once they learned the pattern, most knocked out wins, some do it repeatedly now
Hell isn't there a video on youtube that was posted here of a Coil group doing Turn 1-4 maybe Turn 5 in like 51-53 minutes

For all the content lacking or content coming, it's filling in the middle ground, which most really have moved past

As some have said here they have ilvl 90 gear for 2-3+ jobs, then what on earth is ilvl80 suppose to do for them

CT really was needed to fill in the time-sink for a MMO from the start
When end game was only Primals and Myth cap and run to form a Coil group, if new content doesn't surpass older content your not pushing it forward

Thing is yeah WoW, FFXI and others had to work on themselves to get to where they are today, but for the most part, SE and Devs (even though handcuffed due to the disaster that is 1.0) really didn't have a true outlook on how to really push this as a 2013+ MMO

MMO has to adapt over time, but things they are talking about are still too far off from becoming whole

When they have to have the community point out the Turn 1 problem with the coffers and they say we will hotfix it in next week, shit sounds so depressing, so yes all you Coil groups that still need to do it, your fucked, but don't worry, next week will make it better
That isn't a hotfix, that's a fucking patch!

I used to love playing this and having fun, now for some reason it feels mundane, almost a job/chore to log-in
Only thing keeping me hooked is the myth cap, I mean I'm up to 1400, should be 1700 by weeks end, and next week will most likely cap that lol

Philos are pointless for me as I'm not a crafter, hell I sell more philo items to GAF crafters than I do to anyone else

All I really want is some fun back in this game
Seriously how many AK/WP/CM/Praes have we ran already, and until 2.1 (12/17) new content to either change the scenery or adjust our bearings to new experiences is seriously needed like a month back

They should have released at least a taste of the content in waves, rather that throwing a huge splash and tell us to stay wet for 3+ months, don't dry off
Problem is we are dried off, withered, turning into dust, thirsting for new stuff

If 2.2 and 2.3 go like march/may scenario... Jesus Christ >_<
2.2 should be out no later than Mid-Feb and 2.3 by late April, then have expansion news ready for E3, release to follow near 1 year anniversary

Feels bad wiping twice at the enrage of Turn 4...

I wanna get to turn 4 so damn bad but sadly having some kinks on turn 2 with my FC :(.

So how did everyone fair with yesterday's Live letter? The only aspect that i will agree on with most people are the those who are pissed about the whole not having a 3 group FC or Pre-made do Crystal Tower. I hope they do change that in the feature.

Yet everything else has me excited. Titan Extreme Mode looks amazing.

I get that so many players are pissed at the content and how it will be a waste due to having better gear then what drops in the dungeons, primals and CT. However, I'm looking at it from the experience of it. I love getting into new dungeons, raids, ect and getting that experience. I don't care if the gear is outdated or not. Its the fact that i wanna experience something new other then Coil, AK, WP, ect. A fresh of breath air.

GraveRobberX

CT will be perfect for me as I haven't even started on gearing for Coil yet. I have like one DL belt and that's it.

Not saying CT is bad, just that most who have been running Coil, will want to upgrade, not downgrade

When Yoshi's thinking is Coil members should do CT so gear can be saved up for vanity slots, which is in 2.2, he really isn't thinking it through
At the moment Allagan Body for Tanks as a visual stands out more than all the tin cans that are stuffed in MD
When 2.2 rolls around, which will bring Turn 6-10, most likely Allagan/AF+2 into the mix, why would you slot CT gear when most will be doing Coil and grabbing those new pieces to replace the older stuff

I get that so many players are pissed at the content and how it will be a waste due to having better gear then what drops in the dungeons, primals and CT. However, I'm looking at it from the experience of it. I love getting into new dungeons, raids, ect and getting that experience. I don't care if the gear is outdated or not. Its the fact that i wanna experience something new other then Coil, AK, WP, ect. A fresh of breath air.

Yes but for how long?

How long can it hold the players, that's all I'm hesitant about

Not saying CT is bad, just that most who have been running Coil, will want to upgrade, not downgrade

When Yoshi's thinking is Coil members should do CT so gear can be saved up for vanity slots, which is in 2.2, he really isn't thinking it through
At the moment Allagan Body for Tanks as a visual stands out more than all the tin cans that are stuffed in MD
When 2.2 rolls around, which will bring Turn 6-10, most likely Allagan/AF+2 into the mix, why would you slot CT gear when most will be doing Coil and grabbing those new pieces to replace the older stuff

Yeah i think Yoshi P should of address that aspect a little better and should of added for players who are in Coil to go in there and experience the raid. The vanity gear is a nice feature that i can't wait for to come in. I'm not a fan of how the White Mage Gear looks in Coil so ill have no problem using the vanity feature to change the look. Once i see gear come out of CT and if it looks nice. I can put that aside for when 2.2 drops down the road. I get what your saying and i do agree but I'm a fan of the vanity system that is coming down the road so for myself i will have a means to do those dungeons and to see what i like and don't like as far as gear looks goes.

To answer your other question. That is a very good point but then again, Coil can have that effect as well. Not from a gear stand point but burned out of seeing the same turns over and over again. I cannot stand the sight of WP or AK anymore but i will bite the bullet and do it when i have to get my last bit of tomes for the week. Now with Coil of course, sure you do get gear that everyone wants but again, once you get those pieces of gear. Are you going to want to go back in and put coil on farm? I mean if people really wanted to, they can just get there Myth gear and say screw coil all together.

Now if the weapon and gear in Coil is indeed going to ilvl 95. Is that also including myth gear as well? If myth gear doesn't get updated to that ilvl then that will get those people who ignored coil just another thing to do.

Mupod

Cause it was suppose to be a bridge from AK to Coil

It was the filler, ilvl60/70 (crafted) > ilvl80 > ilvl90

I know that. I'm asking as someone unfamiliar with SE if they have a history of making it so lower item level is ALWAYS obsoleted by higher level. For example there could be accessories in there with different stat distributions that might be more advantageous for specific fights, so people might need to run it on their 'mains'. But from the responses of FF11 and 1.0 vets it seems like that won't be the case, are they that unimaginative with itemization?

As a WoW example, Zul'Gurub (the first 20 man instance) used to have gear enchants and a trinket that people decked out in 40 man raid gear still absolutely wanted. So it wasn't always just an alt-fest.

I know that. I'm asking as someone unfamiliar with SE if they have a history of making it so lower item level is ALWAYS obsoleted by higher level. For example there could be accessories in there with different stat distributions that might be more advantageous for specific fights, so people might need to run it on their 'mains'. But from the responses of FF11 and 1.0 vets it seems like that won't be the case, are they that unimaginative with itemization?

As a WoW example, Zul'Gurub (the first 20 man instance) used to have gear enchants and a trinket that people decked out in 40 man raid gear still absolutely wanted. So it wasn't always just an alt-fest.

You are correct that FF11 wasn't like that, but they seem to have completely changed to a progression type of system without any skill modifiers/procs on items where the higher level stuff will be better.

GraveRobberX

In 11 gear was not obsolete, but most of the gear released early on was side grade
Just for RDM and BLM, those 2 classes alone filled up almost all your inventory slots
You had to macro swap in gear to get advantages from the +stat benefits of the items you swapped too
(Sometimes those HQ elemental staffs were still good 20+ levels)

In 14 they refined it so you didn't have to carry like 5 different sets and swap in gear left and right because certain pieces put on while doing rage of halone would give you more enmity, etc.

It also made a lot of gears redundant in the process

Just as you hit 50, your AF is the go to gear, but with-in a week or two of dungeon running for myths, your decked out on better gear that replaces your AF, now you have AK gear while you work on either crafted (if you have the gil or enough time/patience and buddy crafter to hook you up) or Dark Light

Then there's a huge gap missing (CT goes here)

Then you have Coil gear

Each time you progressed, you got better gear, making older items redundant/useless

With the new patch coming with content, they really have obtuse their own ilvl system

Now some gears are getting downgraded while other ilvl gears are getting upgraded

Example, PLD body pieces:
So we AF @ ilvl55, while AF+1 is ilvl90
A 35 ilevel gap, but the stat difference is really interesting to look at

Gallant Surcoat:
Strength 14
Vitality 15
Determination 11
Parry 23

Valor Surcoat:
Strength 29
Vitality 33
Determination 17
Parry 34

So you gain +15 STR, +18 VIT, +6 DET, +11 Parry (remember to remove -1 from each stat cause ilvl85 gear can not be same ilvl90 gear stats)
So your really working with +14 STR, +17 VIT, +5 DET, +10 Parry
Just take the 35 gap difference and divided it by ilvl+5 = 7 sets in between those 2 items pieces, not much wiggle room is there

They really didn't give themselves a huge gap to play with stats, they are trying to shoehorn in stuff, that they have nowhere else to put

Abylim

Someone in the FC said theres a way to play without signing into the PSN that reduces the lag?

Anyone care to point me to the post or paste it? Pretty pretty please?

GraveRobberX

Someone in the FC said theres a way to play without signing into the PSN that reduces the lag?

Anyone care to point me to the post or paste it? Pretty pretty please?

That was me

Sign in through the FFXIV portal (also be signed into PSN)
Once you are moving around in the world, hit the PS Home button, now you are in XMB go to account management, click triangle, sign out

You will still be playing but no more PSN overlay, will still have the XMB

If you want a better experience, turn everything off in character configuration
I have everything turned off, my own spells, skills, aggro line, pop up damage #'s, no name unless I highlight a person and only their first name

I just play the game ultra clean, need to do it so I'm not a huge handicap

Abylim

That was me

Once you are moving around in the world, hit the PS Home button, now you are in XMB go to account management, click triangle, sign out

I have everything turned off, my own spells, skills, aggro line, pop up damage #'s, no name unless I highlight a person and only their first name

Thank you sir, will try this out.

Yu Narukami

That was me

I tried that but as soon as I hit the PS button to get back, it forces me to sign in.

GraveRobberX

I tried that but as soon as I hit the PS button to get back, it forces me to sign in.

Just press circle, override the command to sign back into PSN

You don't need to be signed in to keep playing

Only when you are going through the FFXIV portal with email + password + token, then you need to be signed into PSN

aceface

I think it's a big stretch to say most players are on Coil. I mean how many players are in coil groups now? My completely subjective estimate would be 10-15% Even in the GAF FC there's I think 3 static groups out of 450 members (maybe 200 of those still play) and no Twintania win. So for the other ~80% of players who are still getting there CT will be a nice step in endgame progression.

I think it's a big stretch to say most players are on Coil. I mean how many players are in coil groups now? My completely subjective estimate would be 10-15% Even in the GAF FC there's I think 3 static groups out of 450 members (maybe 200 of those still play) and no Twintania win. So for the other ~80% of players who are still getting there CT will be a nice step in endgame progression.

Entire GBomb guild has kind of purposefully steered clear of Coil and after seeing/hearing about the Crystal Tower, we knew we made the right choice. For the ones that wanted to give it a serious go we just let them leave to go to another guild more focused to that end. Everybody else hasn't even been outside watching videos.

Still might try the first turn or two just for shits and giggles before 2.1 launches though. It's just been prepping for our house in the meantime, pulling people through Titan, and leveling other classes.

Bossun

So I'm trying to do hydra here and see people with level 39 and 29 gear...is it even possible?

Most of them do not even have darklight but level 55-60 gear.

MechaX

So I'm trying to do hydra here and see people with level 39 and 29 gear...is it even possible?

Most of them do not even have darklight but level 55-60 gear.

For ranged folks, it's certainly possible if you know how to get around AOEs and Fear Itself.

Dunno about melee folks with that kind of gear.

But the fight is perfectly doable with ilvl 55-60 gear.

GraveRobberX

Not being able to make a full 24 man sucks. I hope progression isn't sandbagged by one group

They trolled us with Dark Devices, then they trolled us with Titan, then Locking people out of Coil by locking them into Turn 5 but shouting for Turn 1, CT will get griefed too eventually

zeitgeist

So I just beat Aurum Vale and I hate it. I hate it a lot. Am I missing anything if I never go back there and instead try to lvl using Dzemael Darkhold?
As far as I can tell, the drops aren't amazing for ACN at AV so should I even bother with it again?

Khatoz

Yeah a doubt that more than 1-2% of the total player population has entered Coil. And out of those probably 5-6% who have seen Twin and even less who have gotten a kill, this is just based on guesstimates following WoW Vanilla-WotLK history where it was only a small % of the population who ever saw a raid instance.

orion434

I have some severe OCD, I remade all 8 sets of my lv 50 Crafting Gear so the Materia were all in the same order for a head, feet.. etc. I scored some Type IV's converting them so it didn't set me back any Gil. Besides a few Craftsmanship +1's on the Legs / Feet I don't need to use another Craftsman Materia until new gear is released :)

Nohar

I've been able to rush my Bard Relic thanks to great guys today :) All that's left to do is to down Titan.

... *nervous laugh*

I guess I should be ready to die a lot. And I believe my stuff isn't quite good enough yet to tackle it... Well, I guess I'll see how it goes.

On a side note: Yoshida, please, allow parties of 24 people to do the crystal tower. You literally dropped a bomb in the west (I'm not quite sure how japanese people reacted to that announcement).

Also, do we have some clues about the recipes for the upcoming furnitures? I'd like to know what to farm in advance. &#9835; Money money money &#9834;

So I just beat Aurum Vale and I hate it. I hate it a lot. Am I missing anything if I never go back there and instead try to lvl using Dzemael Darkhold?
As far as I can tell, the drops aren't amazing for ACN at AV so should I even bother with it again?

No, you aren't missing much of anything. I don't remember the drops being anything special and my DPS as SMN was severely hampered with that place since my pet kept dying from the debuffs...=/

Reknoc

at least you beat it. still haven't and now i actually need to for my GC ._.

zeitgeist

at least you beat it. still haven't and now i actually need to for my GC ._.

It was pure luck that I beat it. My PUG kept pulling entire rooms for fun. As a SCH I found it to be pretty messy, hence the hatred.
We had 2 BLM DDs though so the final boss wasn't too bad.

So Darkhold until 50 it is I guess.

WolvenOne

Not being able to make a full 24 man sucks. I hope progression isn't sandbagged by one group

Now I heard they were going to implement 24 person groups in future patches. I assumed that they meant that they would be patching the Duty Finder servers, and that we wouldn't have to wait until 2.2 to create our own 24 player groups.

Is that a reasonable assumption, or are we going to be stuck spinning the roulette wheel until February or March?

Also.

While this probably won't be practical immediately, I think after the newness wears off a bit, GAF groups will have a decent chance at being grouped together by signing up at the same time.

desu

How are you doing Coil right? Just start straight with T5 without ever doing T1-4 (I only did T1 for 10 min 6 weeks ago). T5 was actually a lot of fun and seems more than doable (from easy mode BRD perspective).

Mairu

Now I heard they were going to implement 24 person groups in future patches. I assumed that they meant that they would be patching the Duty Finder servers, and that we wouldn't have to wait until 2.2 to create our own 24 player groups.

It seems very unlikely that raid frames/24 man groups are coming outside of a big content patch.

I really don't know of any MMO where a build becomes mandatory at all. There is often flavor of the month builds, but you always have a say and flexibility. No on is going to check your shit and force your build a certain way. Outside of PVP elitists, players have no issues in other MMOs in doing what they want and playing as they please.

And what does it matter that a couple number crunching munchkins on a forum have a stick up their butt about the pure numbers game? When majority of the game population is not going to have any clue or ever see that data? The whiney elite players are a minority, and one that does not control how players build their characters in MMO communities.

Gear checks is the only time players as a whole have to face the wrath of the elitist whiner babies.

Thank you again FC for that AV win...again (Blake, Takato and Jamie A.). Now I can finally start up my relic quest again. That dungeon isn't too tough with a good party

Aeana

I really don't know of any MMO where a build becomes mandatory at all. There is often flavor of the month builds, but you always have a say and flexibility. No on is going to check your shit and force your build a certain way. Outside of PVP elitists, players have no issues in other MMOs in doing what they want and playing as they please.

And what does it matter that a couple number crunching munchkins on a forum have a stick up their butt about the pure numbers game? When majority of the game population is not going to have any clue or ever see that data? The whiney elite players are a minority, and one that does not control how players build their characters in MMO communities.

Gear checks is the only time players as a whole have to face the wrath of the elitist whiner babies.

I guess you didn't play FF11, because that is exactly what happened.
Also, back when WoW actually let you do things, people would prefer those who had particular builds with specific talents over others.

Alucrid

Banned

There are always best builds. There are always things one should consider while creating a build. In this game your primary stat is all that matters. Secondary stats for most classes are accuracy cap then crit or det. There's not reason for flexibility and no reason to go off the path with your stat allocation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom