• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
This is not a true statement. T5 is most assuredly not doable in iLVL 70 gear. T4 is, for the vast majority of group setups (possibly all) also not doable in 70 gear.

The ability to do T1-T3 in DL in no way makes CT pointless for gearing up to do 4-5 faster.

Even if it was true (and it's not) CT is still not pointless as the gear would still make it easier to do first clears sooner.

It's arguable that T5 wouldn't be doable in full 80 either. My point is that there's no reason to wait on CT or spend hours farming it for gear that may or may not be able to be used. Having a weekly lock for a dungeon meant to gear you up for a dungeon with a weekly lockout makes me wonder if we'll really see 2.2 in Feb.

Azrael

Raising the level cap to 55 in 2.2 is credible. They've backed themselves into a corner where after 2.1 there will be no more gaps to fill in gear progression from ilvl 50-90, and adding ilvl 90+ gear in the form of AF2 and new Binding Coil gear will make existing level 50 content a cakewalk. Players won't stay subbed for months to collect new vanity items, and drops from new primal battles etc. have to be kept relevant.

The best way for it to work would be to bring back limit break quests like FFXI had. Maybe have Maat show up as an NPC in Coerthas or Mor Dhona and give the quest to raise the level cap to 55. Players would need to complete the Relic Reborn quest just as a prerequisite to get the limit break quest, then complete another long quest chain (Crystal Tower, Extreme primals, Ultima hard, maybe some new instances added with 2.2, perhaps even progress through 2.0 Binding Coil and maybe a 1-on-1 instance against Maat himself to finish the quest. That way existing end game would be kept relevant and players would need to gear up to break the level cap.

They could keep most existing end game content capped at level 50, change the current level 50 4-man dungeons to level 50-52, add a level 52-54 dungeon and two level 55 dungeons, and make Leviathan Hard, Moogle Mog Extreme, and new Binding Coil level 55. I think raising the cap to 55 in 2.2 and 60 in 2.4 makes more sense than waiting for the expansion.

Sorry guys, didn't want to make a new thread, but is there a good resource out there for newcomers? Any tips worth sharing?

I jumped on the amazing $10 PSN sale and I will be entering the world of FFXIV this evening.
I played FFXI up until about lv.20 (fighter), but XIV sounds a lot more approachable for those of us without much MMORPG experience.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. :)

jorgeton

Created a male Hyur (I'm boring, I know!) in Ultros last night. Took about 2.5 hours with installing and registering, but finally got on. Managed to hit level 5. Really impressed so far. My main class now is Pugilist, but will subclass a thaumaturge. Going for a close up fighter than can lob fireballs from afar when needed.

I probably won't fully dive in to the community aspects until I get more of a handle on things (like how to work the map... so many clicks to see where I am..), but I'll be looking out for the GAF guild when I'm ready.

studyguy

Raising the level cap to 55 in 2.2 is credible. They've backed themselves into a corner where after 2.1 there will be no more gaps to fill in gear progression from ilvl 50-90, and adding ilvl 90+ gear in the form of AF2 and new Binding Coil gear will make existing level 50 content a cakewalk. Players won't stay subbed for months to collect new vanity items, and drops from new primal battles etc. have to be kept relevant.

The best way for it to work would be to bring back limit break quests like FFXI had. Maybe have Maat show up as an NPC in Coerthas or Mor Dhona and give the quest to raise the level cap to 55. Players would need to complete the Relic Reborn quest just as a prerequisite to get the limit break quest, then complete another long quest chain (Crystal Tower, Extreme primals, Ultima hard, maybe some new instances added with 2.2, perhaps even progress through 2.0 Binding Coil and maybe a 1-on-1 instance against Maat himself to finish the quest. That way existing end game would be kept relevant and players would need to gear up to break the level cap.

They could keep most existing end game content capped at level 50, change the current level 50 4-man dungeons to level 50-52, add a level 52-54 dungeon and two level 55 dungeons, and make Leviathan Hard, Moogle Mog Extreme, and new Binding Coil level 55. I think raising the cap to 55 in 2.2 and 60 in 2.4 makes more sense than waiting for the expansion.

RDM Maat battle still gives me nightmares...

jiien

Created a male Hyur (I'm boring, I know!) in Ultros last night. Took about 2.5 hours with installing and registering, but finally got on. Managed to hit level 5. Really impressed so far. My main class now is Pugilist, but will subclass a thaumaturge. Going for a close up fighter than can lob fireballs from afar when needed.

I probably won't fully dive in to the community aspects until I get more of a handle on things (like how to work the map... so many clicks to see where I am..), but I'll be looking out for the GAF guild when I'm ready.

Just so that you are aware, there aren't "subclasses" in the way in which you are describing them in this game. Every character can be every single class, and your current class is determined by the weapon you are holding in your hand. As a class (such as Pugilist or Thaumaturge), you can selected up to ten (at level 50, you unlock slots as you go) skills from other classes. Only a handful of skills are actually available from each class to select though, and they are usually cooldown type skills, such as more dodge for 15 seconds, or self-heal on a 2 minute cooldown (and I know for a fact that Fire 1/2/3 is not available for selection).

When you get to 30 on a class, and 15 with another certain class (for example, I'm pretty sure you need 30 Pugilist and 15 Lancer to get Monk), you can upgrade that level 30 class with an item that you equip (and can de-equip, when you want). At that point, that level 30 Pugilist would now be a level 30 Monk so long as that item is equipped. By equipping that item, you get a reasonable stat boost, and access to some new skills that you will learn on your way to 50, but it cuts down the amount of skills you can get from other classes to 5, and restricts the classes you can get them from down to only 2.

In short, you can't have a Pugilist that is tossing out fireballs as you wish. Sorry!

dramatis

Sorry guys, didn't want to make a new thread, but is there a good resource out there for newcomers? Any tips worth sharing?

There's not much to explain for lower levels, to be honest there's no harm in joining the GAF FC (free company = guild) even if you're just a beginner, because you will need to do some partying starting from level 15 for story dungeons. It's easy to get a GAF group on Tuesdays to Saturdays, depending on the time.

More importantly, if you picked a certain class and the like and you join the FC, you can always ask in FC chat where your attribute points should go or tips for class quests and effective play, etc. Helps for dungeons too.

There's also crafters available in FC to make you junk if you provide the mats. If you want to play safe with money, do sidequests to get equipment for your level rather than purchasing from merchant, or alternatively check the market board, it's possible that some gear is selling for low.

Cmagus

I jumped on the amazing $10 PSN sale and I will be entering the world of FFXIV this evening.
I played FFXI up until about lv.20 (fighter), but XIV sounds a lot more approachable for those of us without much MMORPG experience.

Here are some good sites that others and myself use

http://xivdb.com/ - You can look up gear and crafting mats (Pretty much the games bible at this point never leave home without it)

http://eorzeareborn.com/crafting-leves/ - list of all the leves for crafting and which require multiple turn ins and the mats needed to complete them.

http://home.comcast.net/~nakomaru/ffmaps/ -Giant world map with all the gathering spots and levels

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forums/656-Classes-Jobs Main forums (general discussion stay away) but class discussion has some good topics on rotations for classes that are always being discussed and changed.

Other than that get in a FC and ask away. Good luck and welcome!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for that reason interview post I think some of that is fake because if CT is truly a week lock out then that content is dead in the water now. There is no way it will work with 24 people if people are getting their gear and then not bothering with it there is just no way that can work. I really hope that after this content patch they raise the cap and introduce more stuff at higher levels so we can move forward.

Silky

Banned
Yo this game is fucking fun, man. Already level nine and done with what I think is the second story event. Cant' wait to bounce out of Gridania, tho.

On the Ultros server as well. Can't wait to get good and join the GAF Linkshell. c:

pitbull

Banned

....so many things to say, but good luck!

Reknoc

Yo this game is fucking fun, man. Already level nine and done with what I think is the second story event. Cant' wait to bounce out of Gridania, tho.

On the Ultros server as well. Can't wait to get good and join the GAF Linkshell. c:

don't worry you don't have to be good to be in the gaf FC

i'm in it after all ._.

Silky

Banned
I think that one of the better things of this game is how easy it is to grind solo in the beginning, speaking as an old school FFXI player.

jorgeton

Just so that you are aware, there aren't "subclasses" in the way in which you are describing them in this game. Every character can be every single class, and your current class is determined by the weapon you are holding in your hand. As a class (such as Pugilist or Thaumaturge), you can selected up to ten (at level 50, you unlock slots as you go) skills from other classes. Only a handful of skills are actually available from each class to select though, and they are usually cooldown type skills, such as more dodge for 15 seconds, or self-heal on a 2 minute cooldown (and I know for a fact that Fire 1/2/3 is not available for selection).

When you get to 30 on a class, and 15 with another certain class (for example, I'm pretty sure you need 30 Pugilist and 15 Lancer to get Monk), you can upgrade that level 30 class with an item that you equip (and can de-equip, when you want). At that point, that level 30 Pugilist would now be a level 30 Monk so long as that item is equipped. By equipping that item, you get a reasonable stat boost, and access to some new skills that you will learn on your way to 50, but it cuts down the amount of skills you can get from other classes to 5, and restricts the classes you can get them from down to only 2.

In short, you can't have a Pugilist that is tossing out fireballs as you wish. Sorry!

Ah! Thanks for the heads up! For some reason I thought I'd be able to make class hybrids in this game. I'll have to go back to the drawing board on my character. I enjoy being a pugilist, so it's OK for now. So many intricacies to wrap my head around..

Beat T2 for the first time last night after our group struggled with rot for a couple of weeks. Feels good man. BRD and Tank earrings dropped. T3 was surprisingly enjoyable too lol.

Now to start studying up on T4!

omlet

Beat T2 for the first time last night after our group struggled with rot for a couple of weeks. Feels good man. BRD and Tank earrings dropped. T3 was surprisingly enjoyable too lol.

The only proper way to do turn 3 is just run like a bat out of hell and never fight anything. Last one to the end is a rotten egg!
Now this is podracing!

Aeana

The only proper way to do turn 3 is just run like a bat out of hell and never fight anything. Last one to the end is a rotten egg!
Or you could be like me and be lazy and sit at the entrance while everybody else does all of the work, and then exit out at the top when they clear it.

pitbull

Banned

You'll be fine, t4 is all about everyone learning their jobs and getting used to the fight. grats on t2 tho.

Now this is podracing!

So you dont even have to fight the golems? Just have tank aggro it an someone else click the thingy huh.

Kenai

Or you could be like me and be lazy and sit at the entrance while everybody else does all of the work, and then exit out at the top when they clear it.

Hey being a healer dealing with a tank at 8 stacks in T2 is hard work, we need our breaks afterwards to rub Icy Hot or something into our sore backs from the carry.

I actually tried to run to the bottom Monday with everyone else and was hilariously unsuccessful. I still haven't see the bottom of T3. :(

RDM Maat battle still gives me nightmares...

Leveling sword skill as Bard for the sole purpose of killing Maat was one of the most memorable things in FF11
no matter how hard I try to forget

omlet

So you dont even have to fight the golems? Just have tank aggro it an someone else click the thingy huh.

Yep. Just be sure to clear out before it does Obliterate more than once or it'll wipe out everyone on the same platform (it can even kill you in midair if you're not far enough) :D

Kenai

Yep. Just be sure to clear out before it does Obliterate more than once or it'll wipe out everyone on the same platform (it can even kill you in midair if you're not far enough) :D

It's kinda like getting hit with a Titan table flip actually

kierwynn

I think I've ran into like 10 or so people from GAF in this game so far :lol

Join us! You're Kosaku, right? I just sent you a tell to ask if you still needed an invite, but idk if you're afk or don't have a keyboard or whatever. I can toss you one if you need/want.

pitbull

Banned
Hey being a healer dealing with a tank at 8 stacks in T2 is hard work, we need our breaks afterwards to rub Icy Hot or something into our sore backs from the carry.

I actually tried to run to the bottom Monday with everyone else and was hilariously unsuccessful. I still haven't see the bottom of T3. :(

Leveling sword skill as Bard for the sole purpose of killing Maat was one of the most memorable things in FF11
no matter how hard I try to forget

i think before you joined the group i'd run ahead and flip the switches behind illy and shoot people off into never never land

i did that to someone monday and they better be thankful i have push to talk cuz i laughed for a long damn time

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
OK for the newcomers coming in here are my tips that might help you

First message me in game, say hi or whatever, I'll pass you 10,000 gil each so you can guys have a a little bit of gil for stuff
I'm Grave Robber on Ultros (same as GAF name with the X only missing)

Next, I know you just started out, learn to start eating food right away, it will give you a 3% bonus, not much, but I mean over time it adds up
Buy the cheapest item from the vendor like boiled eggs for DD's, flatbreads if you are tanking class, and raisins for casting
They aren't much, can get grab a stack of 99 very cheap
They last 30 minutes, unless you die, then it's gone
*If still pricey let me know in game when I'm on, I'll buy it for ya*

Now for the first 10 levels, solo it, learn some of the skills/mechanics of your class
In between you'll see icon on your map with a purple octagon shield icon, or if you are nearing an area where it's happening, those are FATEs
These are you world events that take place at certain times (most are 10-15 minutes, the higher tiers ones are 1 hour+)
This where you gain chunks of XP
Never solo in FATE's, always shout to party up, why?, the more people in party, the more XP you gain off the adds (cause you will be killing them quickly and more will be respawning) + if solo boss, you need to do 30% damage to get Gold Ranking, so if you have party members, they help achieve it easier than soloing it

Always try to get Gold, at the start you'll gain XP + Gil, but when you reach the level 25 quests of the main storyline, you'll get to join one of the three grand companies, and then seals will become your go to collecting (gear, weapons, items)

Dungeons are also a good XP helper, with 2.1 patch (December 17th) they will be getting a huge buff, at the moment FATEs are the go to for XP
Dungeons can be repeated many time over for gear to slot in or if your really dedicated miser and don't want to splurge at all, just grab everything possible

If you need to make a little money from the get go, once you get at least a class up to 20, try your hand at botany + mining
It maybe boring to some, but at the lower levels, shards can make you decent gil
Fire + Wind + Earth get eaten up like no tomorrow
If you at least invest a hour or two to harvesting, you will have enough items ready to sell for your retainer (your personal seller who sells stuff on the marke0tboard on you behalf)
You can go put stuff on the market, while you go level up and by the time you are done, you should some nice gil waiting for you

Always check market history on how items are selling, never undercut by a huge margin
A gill or two OK, but not something like 50+ gil per

If you need help are stuck, message me, I'm always doing something, so I;m always on most of the day
Hell if you need a buddy to play with, I have a level 10 arcanist and 15 whm that come help ya
Other DD classes are 20+, MRD/DRG are 30+, so I have classes in range to help with whatever you need for the coming weeks

*ALSO VERY FUCKING IMPORTANT*
Don't hesitate to tell your party members you are new, you need some help understanding some stuff, most are helpful, some will always be dicks no matter what

If you need to get into crafting, I say wait till you at least get a little holding of the game and start sinking gil into crafting
Keep some gear for other classes/jobs, it's stupid to sell gear in the start or convert into materia (that's a whole different beast), cause most overlap for classes

If you get to 20, let me know, whatever your class, I'll try to craft ya rings with a vit+ materia for you to enjoy for at least 10+ levels
Try to keep the free potions from side-quests, can really help you in a bind if you got no way to heal or need an insta hp gain without casting a speall

Hope some of this info helps

PS: Just running around the map and surveying it gives you XP, so be an adventurer and just say fuck it and run around and see how far you can reach before eating it, you might build up 10K+ xp just from wandering around and unlocking the whole map
There are many many maps to survey

I think I've ran into like 10 or so people from GAF in this game so far :lol

GAF is quite huge, I think 1st day of early phase, most of us in there had already gotten the FC to Rank 5 that day lol

GAF has many members, so that insignia of the guild is everywhere, I wouldn't be surprised that 25% of the server is GAF running around at a given time

I see them everywhere

Silky

Banned
Join us! You're Kosaku, right? I just sent you a tell to ask if you still needed an invite, but idk if you're afk or don't have a keyboard or whatever. I can toss you one if you need/want.

Yes I am! I sent the application over to the website. I saw your tell but I guess it wouldn't let me reply to it, or something? :/

4 and 5...

If anyone needs a DPS for turn 4 just let me know. My static group failed to let me know they were doing it and got through it.
I'm feeling really burnt out on end game stuff lately...

Doh that sucks. I hate when I miss turn 4 cause I'm not on. Especially since the only item I need for my brd is the sollerets of aiming.

That part of the phase is the hump though.

Just curious what is your party make up and what is your rotation? Not saying it's you cause it is a DPS check but I think a lot of the success of completing turn 4 relies a lot on the brd. For a long time other groups in my FC couldn't beat it unless I was doing brd for them.

ironcreed

Banned
Save 1 Orange Juice for that quest. You started as Marauder yes? There is a quest in La Noscea that rewards you with Orange Juice. Save 1 to avoid having to run around later!

Also Marauder will work well with Lancer if you go back to that class. Dragoon requires LNC30/MRD15.

Well, looks like I made the right choice for eventually going Dragoon. And yes, I currently have like 10 orange juices from a quest at some farm. Thanks a bunch for the tip.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
So, I just bought this, and I'm loving it. It's my first ever MMO, and while it is very different to what I'm used to, I'm managing. Question though, I got the Collectors Edition and I have no idea how to get my bonus stuff, like the cool little behemoth pet. Any help would be appreciated.

Jayhawk

So, I just bought this, and I'm loving it. It's my first ever MMO, and while it is very different to what I'm used to, I'm managing. Question though, I got the Collectors Edition and I have no idea how to get my bonus stuff, like the cool little behemoth pet. Any help would be appreciated.

Assuming you already registered the necessary codes onto your Square Enix account on the website, go check the mailbox in one of the main cities.

edgefusion

Soooo, I just abandoned my first dungeon (Haukke Manor) because of a Black Mage who was continually ripping aggro from me and insisting it was something I was doing wrong. I played no differently than normal and it was only him stealing aggro, I had no problem keeping healer and summoner aggro under control. The last straw was when he started bragging about maining a Paladin and being on T5.

I generally do a simple tomahawk > flash > heavy swing > skull sunder rotation for 2 or less mobs and I'll switch between them to stop the healer getting attacked. For larger groups I'll do the same but after the skull sunder I'll add overpower. I've never had a problem with these rotations before, but for the life of me I couldn't stop him stealing aggro. Am I doing something wrong?

son of a bitch.

So I'm going through registration (via PS3) and get to the screen that tells me they are emailing me a confirmation code that's only valid for an hour.

It's been an hour and 10 minutes and nothing. Nothing in my inbox, nothing in my spam folder.
I can see on the screen that I put my email address in correctly, so that's not the problem.

Anyone else have an issue with this? :/

omlet

I generally do a simple tomahawk > flash > heavy swing > skull sunder rotation for 2 or less mobs and I'll switch between them to stop the healer getting attacked. For larger groups I'll do the same but after the skull sunder I'll add overpower. I've never had a problem with these rotations before, but for the life of me I couldn't stop him stealing aggro. Am I doing something wrong?

Probably. Wasting your time with Flash IMO. Use Overpower more, a lot more. Only Flash if mages are sleeping adds.

pitbull

Banned
Soooo, I just abandoned my first dungeon (Haukke Manor) because of a Black Mage who was continually ripping aggro from me and insisting it was something I was doing wrong. I played no differently than normal and it was only him stealing aggro, I had no problem keeping healer and summoner aggro under control. The last straw was when he started bragging about maining a Paladin and being on T5.

You are if he was constantly aoe'ing, I have an almost full dl war and i still dont have a good grasp on agro lol

I know the more overpowers and flashes the better at lower levels before you get butchers block. heavy swing doesnt have the 3x agro added on either. but def listen to anyone else that corrects me because imma pretty terrible agro tank

frequency

If I was on my Black Mage, with those queue times, I would just calm down a little and pace myself more with the tank. Especially if no one else is having issues with enmity.

Part of being a good DPS player is managing your enmity against the tanks. Going all out all the time makes you a bad player.

edgefusion

Probably. Wasting your time with Flash IMO. Use Overpower more, a lot more. Only Flash if mages are sleeping adds.

I only flash once at the start of a fight after tomahawk to get all the mobs attention. For fights of 3+ after the tomahawk > flash I'm doing heavy swing > skull sunder > overpower. Are you suggesting I do something more like heavy swing > skull sunder > overpower > overpower?

The blm was pretty much constantly AOEing, I asked him to ease up a bit but he refused, told me he shouldn't have to be careful of his enmity and carried on.

Cmagus

Reinheart put up a translation and it looks like the rumors are true.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/124675-Reinheart-Translations!-2.1-and-2.2

Reinheart Translations! 2.1 and 2.2

Just some excerpts:

- Primal Extreme mode loot and Crystal Tower loot will have a 1 week lockout. You have to beat all three EM Primals to loot one item.
- Dungeon EXP increased by 150% from base EXP. On top of that you can put random roulette bonus + rest bonus. About 3x more than now.
- Treasure Hunt - When you try to open chest there is a trap spawning mobs. Can be soloed, however Grade 5 should have PT to win fight.
- Treasure Hunt - Gatherer finds map, but only battle class can open since it spawns mobs.
- Beastmen daily quest - In patch 2.1 will have quest for 2 beastmen tribes, in future will have episodes for all tribes.
- YoshiP mentions they are going to have FFXIV up on Steam
- Patch 2.2 will have about 1.5 times more than 2.1's amount of story
- YoshiP explains in future HM and EM primal battles coming and gives example for 2.2 will have HM/EM Leviathan.
- PvP will have rank - At 2.1 you can rank up to 30.
- YoshiP mentions every patch will have 2 HM dungeons and 1 completely new dungeon. Post expansion will have harder dungeon than BC.
- YoshiP mentions the cost for housing is still not decided, they are still looking at the economy to decide carefully.
- Once you place a furniture in your house, you can't sell them on market. (im hoping a preview system will be in place too)
- Primal EM - Aside from ilvl90 weapon reward, Primals drop chest which has high level accessories. (!!)
- Moggle Mog battle difficulty is in between Garuda HM and Titan HM. If you can beat Garuda but can't beat Titan, this is for you.
- New dungeon Sirius will be the current hardest 4 player dungeon.

Source: Reinheart aka the Guy who does live translations of Live Letters! Check him out!

and Famitsu: A Realm Awoken

omlet

I only flash once at the start of a fight after tomahawk to get all the mobs attention. For fights of 3+ after the tomahawk > flash I'm doing heavy swing > skull sunder > overpower. Are you suggesting I do something more like heavy swing > skull sunder > overpower > overpower?

The blm was pretty much constantly AOEing, I asked him to ease up a bit but he refused, told me he shouldn't have to be careful of his enmity and carried on.

Until you're higher level and have better options I'm suggesting you do something like Tomahawk (or not even; as long as you don't have a Regen on you that would insta-aggro the healer, you can face pull with Overpower to save TP), Overpower, Overpower, Heavy Swing, Skull Sunder, Overpower, Heavy Swing, Skull Sunder, Overpower etc. until your TP starts hurting too much to do more Overpower (around 300-400). You can toss in Flash at that point to ease up on TP expenditure. Flash is nice in that it will hit things out of your Overpower arc but to be honest there should never be anything out of your Overpower arc in a typical pre-50 dungeon run and it also doesn't even do blind when subclassed.

Aeana

How are people going to get others who already looted something that week to help with CT? People tend to not want to do things where they get no potential reward, and CT requires 24 people.

edgefusion

So I'm potentially going to have to wait several weeks to get out of my fugly subligar? Errr...guess I'll start saving for Gryphonskin.

Until you're higher level and have better options I'm suggesting you do something like Tomahawk (or not even; as long as you don't have a Regen on you that would insta-aggro the healer, you can face pull with Overpower to save TP), Overpower, Overpower, Heavy Swing, Skull Sunder, Overpower, Heavy Swing, Skull Sunder, Overpower etc. until your TP starts hurting too much to do more Overpower (around 300-400). You can toss in Flash at that point to ease up on TP expenditure.

Okay, thanks a lot I'll give it a go. I have invigorate from Lancer so it shouldn't be too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom