• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogCakes

Now that the semester's finally ending my friends and I are planning to start this game anew with new chars. A couple questions: we have four people (so basically a perma-light party), we've designated who wants which role, but I'm curious as to how scholar fares as the healer of a light party.

oneils

Open up your actions and traits window, and check the first page (I think)?

Either use Actions & Traits from Set 8 or press start and find Actions & Traits in the leftmost menu (above where you start highlighted on 'Character').

When Actions & Traits is open, on the left sidebar head down to 'Main Commands'. Press X to get into the right side of the window, where you should be able to find inventory and journal icons. When you have highlighted one of them, press Square, and it will enter hotbar editing mode, where now you can hold L2/R2 and place your command where you want it.

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll be checking that out tomorrow.

Aeana

Now that the semester's finally ending my friends and I are planning to start this game anew with new chars. A couple questions: we have four people (so basically a perma-light party), we've designated who wants which role, but I'm curious as to how scholar fares as the healer of a light party.

Scholar is fine, but they don't exist until level 30, so you won't be able to heal until then.

Totakeke

Everyone needs to post in some XIV forum direct message to Yoshi about their CT concerns asap. I dont think its too late to change the mechanincs right?

I was really looking forward to it, even though i'm just like lvl 44. Something so amazing sounding, to be squandered potential (at least the way the first floors work, since I assume they are adding more) due to lockout mechanics.

Fundamentally they're screwed either way. Whether you get your gear in 5 weeks due to lockouts or 1 week without lockouts, padding content in between ilvl50-ilvl90 when most people can easily get or already have ilvl90 is a silly decision they never bothered to reverse. Even if you don't do CoB you already have myth tokens to get AF+1 gear.

Scholar is fine, but they don't exist until level 30, so you won't be able to heal until then.

not completely correct. While Scholar isn't available till 30 ARC gets physick (their main heal) right away and does fine healing in dungeons till they unlock their dedicated healing profession.

I started ARC about a month ago and took over healing in Satasha when the Conjurer dropped. Although if you use duty finder to enter dungeons you will be designated a DPS role, but if you've got a static group you can enter with ARC as your healer just fine.

Aeana

not completely correct. While Scholar isn't available till 30 ARC gets physick (their main heal) right away and does fine healing in dungeons till they unlock their dedicated healing profession.

I started ARC about a month ago and took over healing in Satasha when the Conjurer dropped. Although if you use duty finder to enter dungeons you will be designated a DPS role, but if you've got a static group you can enter with ARC as your healer just fine.
I guess you could, but you'd be working a lot harder/healing for less than a conjurer with the +mind and maim and mend traits. Not a big deal in Sastasha, but it'll get progressively more difficult with each further dungeon. Toto-rak as arcanist would be interesting. You wouldn't have leeches and you wouldn't have the fairy, and you'd need to be able to keep up with the AoE poison still.

Yu Narukami

So for once the gamfaqs rumor was true.
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I never played another MMO. I'm not defending the week lock-out system, but isn't that what all MMO's are about? Grinding till your head explodes to keep you playing?

Totakeke

Sure, but now you can only grind for a limited time in a week rather than infinite. How about if you were just allowed a one level cap a day?

All these are just artificial ways to lengthen people's subscriptions.

jiggle

Sure, but now you can only grind for a limited time in a week rather than infinite. How about if you were just allowed a one level cap a day?

All these are just artificial ways to lengthen people's subscriptions.
Reminds me of the xp penalty from 1.0

Teknoman

So about pure blood garleans:

I never noticed the third eye on Cid...but I guess he never took off his goggles (that you somehow gave him?) in 1.0. Is the third eye literal or just figurative, and happen to look like a sort of eye. I couldnt tell if it was a gem like lalafell, or an actual eye that had a blind color tone

Anyway, the whole CT situation sounds like the only way out would have just been to make it something to tackle after Coil instead of proceeding with it as planned...especially since i'm not sure how it ended up missing launch, while something taking place afterward didn't.

At any rate...time to take down Garuda. Well later today anyway.

Kenai

I guess you could, but you'd be working a lot harder/healing for less than a conjurer with the +mind and maim and mend traits. Not a big deal in Sastasha, but it'll get progressively more difficult with each further dungeon. Toto-rak as arcanist would be interesting. You wouldn't have leeches and you wouldn't have the fairy, and you'd need to be able to keep up with the AoE poison still.

If he steals a lot of aggro/bosshits with Topaz they should be fine. It's how one of my randoms got through Haukke Manor final boss after our healer d/ced 45 seconds in.

Yu Narukami

Random question. Is it okay as a bard in WP to constantely steal aggro from the tank because I'm spamming my AOE's like crazy? Or should I relax a bit and let the tank gain aggro? I don't know if it's annoying for a tank, but after running WP for 100 times I just want to it finish as quickly as possible.

PS: Eve, sorry for stealing so much aggro and pulling everything during our WP run yesterday.

Totakeke

Random question. Is it okay as a bard in WP to constantely steal aggro from the tank because I'm spamming my AOE's like crazy? Or should I relax a bit and let the tank gain aggro? I don't know if it's annoying for a tank, but after running WP for 100 times I just want to it finish as quickly as possible.

It's annoying for the tank, or for the healer if you get hit, but it's the tank's job to hold aggro. But as long it doesn't slow down the run or wipe the group, it doesn't really matter.

Ouch, just saw that 2.1 news. I haven't been playing much lately and dropped out of my BC group because there's no incentive to level other jobs to 50. I realized this when I hit 50 BLM and got full DL. You can't do anything. What made it even worse is that I was doing BC as PLD and there was zero chance of me switching out to play DPS while all the DPS players got to change jobs willy nilly.

If PVP turns out to be terrible I won't be touching this game until 2.2.

Ferr986

IMO the Miqote RSE is a little silly (basically the skirt, is so short that she may aswell just go around without it).

The rest are cool though, and I like Yoshida's art.

Everyone needs to post in some XIV forum direct message to Yoshi about their CT concerns asap. I dont think its too late to change the mechanincs right?

Official forums would be a good place if it wasnt for the insane amount of white knighting there.
Anyways the best place would be the japanese boards... I wonder how are the japanese players reacting to this.

Ken

PS: Eve, sorry for stealing so much aggro and pulling everything during our WP run yesterday.

Play Mage's Ballad and it shouldn't be a problem.

Yu Narukami

Does Mage's Ballad reduce emnity? Because the tank was a WAR so he was using Overpower mostly and the healers usually don't have MP problems.

Ken

Does Mage's Ballad reduce emnity? Because the tank was a WAR so he was using Overpower mostly and the healers usually don't have MP problems.

Oh, dunno then. As a PLD I usually ask for MB since I have to spam Flash and I usually hold aggro well enough.

Nohar

I litteraly threw a nerd-rage fit when I read that the crystal tower restriction was true.

Now, I have calmed down. I'm still kinda disappointed though. 1 week is way too long.

Ichabod

Banned
Aside from more endgame stuff and thangs to do, this game could really use more classes. Yeah, yeah, "they need to balance the ones we have," but there's really nothing else I want to level for a main class aside from maybe SMN. I'm holding off on leveling a tank because I'm hoping a new tanking class is in the works. How soon, realistically, will it be before we can expect to hear rumblings about more classes? Six months? A year? Longer? *Gasp*

Yu Narukami

I think we may get new jobs first perhaps with 2.3. New classes probably with a new expansion. And that could be in a year...
How was it with FFXI?

Ferr986

I think we may get new jobs first perhaps with 2.3. New classes probably with a new expansion. And that could be in a year...
How was it with FFXI?

Jobs were introduced only with expansions.

I hope we get DNC/NIN and a Final Fantasy V style Mystic Knight.

I need my FFXI NIN :_( Although it may not be the same seeing as how everyone can solo a couple of lvl 49 mobs right now. Loved soloing hard stuff with NIN on FFXI.

Yu Narukami

I wonder how the story will progress now. Don't tell me it will be through Extreme Primals. Many people haven't beaten Titan HM yet.
It bothers me that there is story content in Coil. How about people that can't find a group? They will never experience that story content.

frequency

A while back I healed Toto-Rak fine on my Thaumaturge with Physick cross class after the healer dropped. Arcanist should be fine -- especially if you're putting points into Mind as you level.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The only way the can salvage with CT gear lockout is once you get a piece of gear for job, you are literally locked out for said job you are on

So go into CT as PLD, get piece, now, you are locked out on it
If you go as BLM, you now have 1 gear of your choosing of that job or hell if you want to greed loot for your PLD (if the tanks dont roll need) grab it you get locked on that job
Repeat as many ilvl55-70 (average) gear jobs you have

So for CT I at least can grab 2 pieces
Might push others to go level up other classes, restart the whole cycle chain

The early level zones are fucking barren
0 people doing FATEs, I was collecting lightning shards/crystals for the gold axe in botany @ centeral thanalan, the frog fate popped like 6 times, always went the full timer
This is 4PM+ EST, nothing, not even 1person came to fight it

SUPARSTARX

The only way the can salvage with CT gear lockout is once you get a piece of gear for job, you are literally locked out for said job you are on

So go into CT as PLD, get piece, now, you are locked out on it
If you go as BLM, you now have 1 gear of your choosing of that job or hell if you want to greed loot for your PLD (if the tanks dont roll need) grab it you get locked on that job
Repeat as many ilvl55-70 (average) gear jobs you have

So for CT I at least can grab 2 pieces
Might push others to go level up other classes, restart the whole cycle chain

The early level zones are fucking barren
0 people doing FATEs, I was collecting lightning shards/crystals for the gold axe in botany @ centeral thanalan, the frog fate popped like 6 times, always went the full timer
This is 4PM+ EST, nothing, not even 1person came to fight it

It's finals soon for the kids! give it some time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom