• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So if they had CT from the get go, with this 1 week lockout

Right about now we all would have had 1 class.job fully decked out in ilvl80 gear

With-in the same time frame you could have had at least 1.5 job with full ilvl90 gear from myth + coil

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME HERE!?

Jesus fuck Tanaka wouldn't be this stupid to implement this
I rather take a 75% chance of not receiving 0 loot for a party than only 1 item per week

2.1 really is pissing me off

I really wanted CT to be the bridge to get the community geared up and to do Coil within a months time
Then there would be at least ilvl80 gear running around

Most tanks that already do coil have body/legs/feet, most will want hands/head
Healers are better off with Vanya + Materia slotted
No clue if accessories are in play too

Also going from tin can armor Darklight, if you roll head or body/legs or feet in CT, you will need hoplite or spend myth to grab the accompanying piece

Seriously they better think about this stupid lockout, I understand it being necessary at the start when the game released, but the patch is so long over due, that keeping that archaic system does not help the system overall

People joining will get to Darklight/Crafted ilvl70 gear hella fucking fast, then they also will get cockblocked from progressing too much in CT due to a 11 week time commitment, or just do 11 weeks of myth cap + Coil and get gear that way

So what happens if say 19 people who are loot-locked go in CT to help, and after everyone who wasn't locked each got a drop? Would gear after that start hitting the ground?

same as those people that do coil, and same gear drops and people already have it or don't want the clutter, goes to the abyss of lost gear voided for others who long for it

Torquill

So if they had CT from the get go, with this 1 week lockout

Right about now we all would have had 1 class.job fully decked out in ilvl80 gear

With-in the same time frame you could have had at least 1.5 job with full ilvl90 gear from myth + coil
True, if you are doing coil. According to Yoshida 90% of players aren't.

GraveRobberX

True, if you are doing coil. According to Yoshida 90% of players aren't.

Yeah but 90% of the players were waiting for CT and better ilvl 70 to ilvl 90 gap

Your telling me players will wait up to 11 weeks get fully ilvl80 char and then do coil
By then 2.2 comes out and ilvl100+ gear will be available

chrono01

Yeah but 90% of the players were waiting for CT and better ilvl 70 to ilvl 90 gap

Your telling me players will wait up to 11 weeks get fully ilvl80 char and then do coil
It does seem a bit backwards.

To be fair, the ilvl100 gear will likely drop from Coil Turns 6+, so you'll still need to do earlier Coil to progress that far [and subsequently gear yourself up with ilvl90 items]. If you're doing Coil now, there's little-to-no reason to do Crystal Tower. At all. Unless you're into the whole vanity aspect, or have multiple classes, and even then I personally don't like the way the Black Mage armor look. :(

I'll likely do CT once/twice just to see how it is, and for my Achievement, and then forget it exists. The "one loot-per dungeon" thing is insane, I can't believe they're going ahead with that. What if two items drop in one run that you need but no one else does? It will be destroyed for no good reason.

Torquill

I'm telling you the reason many players don't do coil has nothing to do with a gear gap, but skill demands and/or a schedule that doesn't permit joining a static.

I do think the week lockout completely undermines any role as a bridge to coil (outside of a very narrow notion that you will gear up ever so slightly faster).

I still it's probably still valid content for a majority of the player base however, only now as a coil alternative. It has less gear requirements, less skill requirements (aside from a greater group coordination demand potentially), and (probably more importantly) far fewer sociological demands with regards to statics

WolvenOne

It does seem a bit backwards.

To be fair, the ilvl100 gear will likely drop from Coil Turns 6+, so you'll still need to do earlier Coil to progress that far [and subsequently gear yourself up with ilvl90 items]. If you're doing Coil now, there's little-to-no reason to do Crystal Tower. At all. Unless you're into the whole vanity aspect, or have multiple classes, and even then I personally don't like the way the Black Mage armor look. :(

I'll likely do CT once/twice just to see how it is, and for my Achievement, and then forget it exists. The "one loot-per dungeon" thing is insane, I can't believe they're going ahead with that. What if two items drop in one run that you need but no one else does? It will be destroyed for no good reason.

So, people are able to roll on one piece of loot per week, per floor of CT?

Uh, sorry but that doesn't seem like a big deal to me. That's, "less," restrictive than the Lockout for Coil, and frankly given the number of items that could drop on each floor, chances are excellent that many weeks you'll have to run each CT floor multiple times, to just Roll on one item.

This is especially true in a 24 man group. That means that if one Armor Tank armor piece drops, you potentially have six people rolling for the same item. So there's an excellent chance you'll miss the drops even when they do come up.

Basically, limiting it to one drop per floor, is only an anti-farming method, and should really only affect the most hardcore of players. Seeing as FFXIV seems designed to be a lot of peoples, "first," MMO, discouraging that sort of behavior seems reasonable and consistent.

chrono01

So, people are able to roll on one piece of loot per week, per floor of CT?

Uh, sorry but that doesn't seem like a big deal to me. That's, "less," restrictive than the Lockout for Coil, and frankly given the number of items that could drop on each floor, chances are excellent that many weeks you'll have to run each CT floor multiple times, to just Roll on one item.

This is especially true in a 24 man group. That means that if one Armor Tank armor piece drops, you potentially have six people rolling for the same item. So there's an excellent chance you'll miss the drops even when they do come up.

Basically, limiting it to one drop per floor, is only an anti-farming method, and should really only affect the most hardcore of players. Seeing as FFXIV seems designed to be a lot of peoples, "first," MMO, discouraging that sort of behavior seems reasonable and consistent.

Oh, is it per floor? If so that's not too bad. I thought it was for the entire dungeon.

Edit - I re-read the interview. It's not per floor, it's for the entire dungeon. One piece won for the entire dungeon per week, apparently.

GraveRobberX

Oh, is it per floor? If so that's not too bad. I thought it was for the entire dungeon.

It's whole dungeon, so it's more of a which piece really do you want

Gonna be hilarious people passing good gear cause they don't want to ruin their 1 item per week

Cmagus

I'm telling you the reason many players don't do coil has nothing to do with a gear gap, but skill demands and/or a schedule that doesn't permit joining a static.

Pretty much but the lockout is still the biggest culprit its just breaking players apart by pushing them into statics rather than being able to do more runs with more people. There really isn't a sense of community when it comes to coil. I mean looking back at 1.0 when we were doing Garuda we would run that often and when people started getting wins and the weapons more people would rotate in and those who had the gear would help those who did not.

Now there will always be some who make statics that's in any mmo but there is a much larger group who like you said can't always 100% commit to a static. The gap has gotten so big now that for alot of players who try to do coil get shunned or the party goes to hell because people can only do something once they certainly don't wanna spend the time teaching the others and that's sad.It has gotten to the point where people are literally lying to get into a party which is unbelievable. Not only that getting a static going together nowadays is extremly difficult.

WolvenOne

Edit - I re-read the interview. It's not per floor, it's for the entire dungeon. One piece won for the entire dungeon per week, apparently.

Yes, but does not each floor count as a separate dungeon on the Duty Finder?

chrono01

To clarify once again too, you never roll against 24 people.
You only roll against your party, drops in CT are party specific, not alliance wide.
This I knew, but I appreciate the clarification. :)

It's whole dungeon, so it's more of a which piece really do you want

Gonna be hilarious people passing good gear cause they don't want to ruin their 1 item per week
Not only that, who's to say that the piece you're going after will even drop? The risk is there that you might pass on a piece you kind of need in the hopes of an armor-piece you really need dropping, only for it not to happen.

That's going to be stressful for those looking for items.

Yes, but does not each floor count as a separate dungeon on the Duty Finder?
I'm pretty sure that it counts the dungeon as a whole, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

studyguy

I severely doubt it's one piece for the entirety of CT.

If I recall correctly, we have the floor names denoted in Yalms like BC in the data files during Phase 4. I can't recall right now, but it would be silly to leave it as one for all CT.

GraveRobberX

If I recall correctly, we have the floor names denoted in Yalms like BC in the data files during Phase 4. I can't recall right now, but it would be silly to leave it as one for all CT.

psstt... MMO Timesink!

There's only 1 dungeon in CT in 2.1. The labyrinth. Other floors will be implemented in later patches.

edit -

Yoshida interview said:
In the Labyrinth (the dungeon for the first stage of the Crystal Tower) which will be implemented first, four total boss monsters will appear.

That makes it sound like they don't have other floors implemented yet, at least to me.

WolvenOne

That's what I was thinking. My understanding was that each floor is supposed to progressively more difficult, as with Coil. So the lower floors will be fine for a Fresh 50, while the higher ones may require a party made up fully of people with lvl60-70-80 armor to successfully run it.

So, if you could only sign up via DF for the first floor, the easiest floor, it's almost a statistical certainty that you'll get a couple fresh 50's, that make the top floors prohibitively difficult.

So logistically, it makes more sense to break these down into separate instances, and give them each their own DF entry. That way, people whom are way above the early levels can go directly to the later floors. The people who aren't ready for the later floors can sign up for the first floor, etc etc, and so on and so forth. It dramatically increases the chances that you'll be paired with people whom have similar goals, and are thus at least roughly similarly geared.

Alucrid

Banned
That's what I was thinking. My understanding was that each floor is supposed to progressively more difficult, as with Coil. So the lower floors will be fine for a Fresh 50, while the higher ones may require a party made up fully of people with lvl60-70-80 armor to successfully run it.

So, if you could only sign up via DF for the first floor, the easiest floor, it's almost a statistical certainty that you'll get a couple fresh 50's, that make the top floors prohibitively difficult.

So logistically, it makes more sense to break these down into separate instances, and give them each their own DF entry. That way, people whom are way above the early levels can go directly to the later floors. The people who aren't ready for the later floors can sign up for the first floor, etc etc, and so on and so forth. It dramatically increases the chances that you'll be paired with people whom have similar goals, and are thus at least roughly similarly geared.
Just like the hm primals

WolvenOne

Just like the hm primals

The HM Primals aren't a 24 person instance, and can be fought using entirely pre-made groups. With CT, if players, "always," have to start at floor one, and have to rely on DF for matchmaking with 16 other players, you'll have rampant problems. I mean, forget the later floors being difficult. You'll see players left and right quitting, if they see one or two players under-geared for later floors. In this case I wouldn't even blame them. Getting to the later floors would be time prohibitive in this set-up, and if there are several under-geared members, that'd be a lot of time to sink into a, "likely failure."

These sort of problems, are at least heavily minimized, if each floor gets its own DF entry.

WolvenOne

There's only 1 dungeon in CT in 2.1. The labyrinth. Other floors will be implemented in later patches.

edit -

That makes it sound like they don't have other floors implemented yet, at least to me.

The number of drops, publicly listed, about matches the number of Drops you see in Coil. This means that the Loot tables need to be similar to Coil as well, especially if each 8-person group gets their own 2 drops.

This means 5 floors. The only other alternative is one floor, that drops full armor for every major class, in addition to lvl80 accessories. The chance of you, "ever," seeing the drop you wanted with that sort of loot table, is 'extremely' low.

studyguy

The number of drops, publicly listed, about matches the number of Drops you see in Coil. This means that the Loot tables need to be similar to Coil as well, especially if each 8-person group gets their own 2 drops.

This means 5 floors. The only other alternative is one floor, that drops full armor for every major class, in addition to lvl80 accessories. The chance of you, "ever," seeing the drop you wanted with that sort of loot table, is 'extremely' low.

I would be an amazingly bad loot table if it was all dumped on one floor.
I can however see the possibility of each area dropping specific loot.
Like if the party splits off to area A instead of B or C, they get loot table A's drops and nothing else.

The problem with this though is that you now have 3 parties fighting over getting into area A if it would work that way which is still an absolute nightmare in terms of design. I guess we'll see, but like you mentioned a full loot table in one floor is laughable.

GraveRobberX

They said 3-4 bosses per one floor, or do we go up per floor for per boss

So in one CT we do all 3-5 floors?

They said each boss killed drops 3 chests, one for each party, the other 2 chest you cant see the loot or roll on it

Repeat 2 more times, that gives us roughly 50% of people getting gear

Coil really only has 1 actual boss per turn, right? (ADS drops nothing)
(except for 3 that has no loot other than potions and no enemies to speak of.)

If that is true, there are 4 turns that offer the potential for armor drops in Coil, since 3 is throwaway for loot.

There are 4 bosses in the labyrinth for CT, each one when defeated drops a chest for each of the 3 parties.

To me, that sounds like a similar amount of loot as coil.

studyguy

Man I am not looking forward to pugging with two random groups.
Like I can already hear the rage. That's probably the worst part.

pitbull

Banned
The HM Primals aren't a 24 person instance, and can be fought using entirely pre-made groups. With CT, if players, "always," have to start at floor one, and have to rely on DF for matchmaking with 16 other players, you'll have rampant problems. I mean, forget the later floors being difficult. You'll see players left and right quitting, if they see one or two players under-geared for later floors. In this case I wouldn't even blame them. Getting to the later floors would be time prohibitive in this set-up, and if there are several under-geared members, that'd be a lot of time to sink into a, "likely failure."

These sort of problems, are at least heavily minimized, if each floor gets its own DF entry.

I think it will be about as hard as cm was, I don't see this as being a another HM titan. But who knows, they aren't playing by logic at this point anyways lol

Luigi87

Hi, online atm, could I possibly get an invite to the FC? (S'maiuhl Tia, on Ultros)
Had to sign off. I'll ask again later.

WolvenOne

I think it will be about as hard as cm was, I don't see this as being a another HM titan. But who knows, they aren't playing by logic at this point anyways lol

I don't see any boss here being as hard as HM Titan. Titan is probably the most difficult boss as of 2.0, at least until you get to the later turns on Coil.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the final CT boss for 2.1 was about as difficult as HM Garuda, or Moggle Mom.

CM is supposed to be the bridge to Coil after all. So I'm expecting mechanic heavy bosses, that don't hit as hard. So, basically Coil Lite.

oneils

another noobie question, here.

On PS3, is there a way to zoom the camera out by using the controller (or even in system config)?

Torquill

I don't see any boss here being as hard as HM Titan. Titan is probably the most difficult boss as of 2.0, at least until you get to the later turns on Coil.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the final CT boss for 2.1 was about as difficult as HM Garuda, or Moggle Mom.

CM is supposed to be the bridge to Coil after all. So I'm expecting mechanic heavy bosses, that don't hit as hard. So, basically Coil Lite.
You'd think so, except the delay was allegedly to retune for DF. So that sounds like it was coil lite, and then get made the mechanics easier.

WolvenOne

You'd think so, except the delay was allegedly to retune for DF. So that sounds like it was coil lite, and then get made the mechanics easier.

Hold it, I thought the delay was due the early server issues taking up an inordinate amount of resources. For that matter, I seem to recall CT being listed as
DF accessible even in late August.

Hold it, I thought the delay was due the early server issues taking up an inordinate amount of resources. For that matter, I seem to recall CT being listed as
DF accessible even in late August.

The delay of the 2.1 patch was due to server issues.

CT was originally supposed to be in 2.0, but they felt it was too hard and wanted to adjust the difficulty so that it could be completed by duty finder groups. So they pushed the release of CT back to 2.1.

WolvenOne

The delay of the 2.1 patch was due to server issues.

CT was originally supposed to be in 2.0, but they felt it was too hard and wanted to adjust the difficulty so that it could be completed by duty finder groups. So they pushed the release of CT back to 2.1.

Seems like a silly decision in retrospect. Titan HM is, after all, nearly unbeatable via DF, and Garuda HM usually can't be beaten that way either. (You'll luck out occasionally, but still.) If CT proved too difficult for DF, they could have nerfed it later. In the meanwhile, it would've been a wonderful little playground for the leet completionist types that fixate on endgame content.

So I have the PC version of the game. If i buy the ps3 version off the PSN, can I play my current account on ps3? I'm a bit confused with the whole linking of you psn account with a SE account.

Sophia

So I have the PC version of the game. If i buy the ps3 version off the PSN, can I play my current account on ps3? I'm a bit confused with the whole linking of you psn account with a SE account.

Your SE account should already contain the PC version on it. Therefore when you link your PSN account (with FF14 purchased) with it, it will be added to your current account. You'll be able to access your character on the PS3.

Zaptruder

Banned
Seems like a silly decision in retrospect. Titan HM is, after all, nearly unbeatable via DF, and Garuda HM usually can't be beaten that way either. (You'll luck out occasionally, but still.) If CT proved too difficult for DF, they could have nerfed it later. In the meanwhile, it would've been a wonderful little playground for the leet completionist types that fixate on endgame content.

When I made the change from NA to JP servers to better match my timezone... one of the first things I did was jump into the Titan queue.

And they proceeded to one shot the Titan.

And it's not been an isolated incident - granted more than half of the JP DF groups can't beat Titan... but it also means that the other half have beaten Titan; and many of them have done so via one-shotting the instance.

Thought I'd mention that for posterity.

When I made the change from NA to JP servers to better match my timezone... one of the first things I did was jump into the Titan queue.

And they proceeded to one shot the Titan.

And it's not been an isolated incident - granted more than half of the JP DF groups can't beat Titan... but it also means that the other half have beaten Titan; and many of them have done so via one-shotting the instance.

Thought I'd mention that for posterity.

Well duh! The Japanese are robots

Ploid 3.0

Finally unlocked beastmaster. It was hidden in the warrior job for some reason. It's very different from ffxi's bst. The power is in the master, and you can only charm a chocobo, you can call minions but they don't do anything. The upgraded bst af looks awesome. Now to get the jackcoat. Overall, it's a better solo class than bst since ffxi's mobs would usually rip you a new one if you tried to fight them 2-5 levels under them.

xfF9caG.png

MechaX

What other content? Also, this confirms that treasure drops after each boss fight, so I guess expect a lot of incomplete CT runs as people leave once they get their stuff.

So, you can queue for a CT in progress, I hope? Because I could see one person from each party potentially quitting the duty once they got their drop, and maybe another couple raging out because some other party members brought AF/WP Gear (despite how Yoshida said that the dungeon is meant for people with iLvL 55 equipment). Hell, if too many people quit in one group alone, does that fuck up all the other groups?

Good God, CT is so poorly planned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom