• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

The early level zones are fucking barren
0 people doing FATEs, I was collecting lightning shards/crystals for the gold axe in botany @ centeral thanalan, the frog fate popped like 6 times, always went the full timer
This is 4PM+ EST, nothing, not even 1person came to fight it
This is somewhat making it difficult for me, who is just starting out, to do FATEs on par with my level.

Ultrabum

The only way the can salvage with CT gear lockout is once you get a piece of gear for job, you are literally locked out for said job you are on

So go into CT as PLD, get piece, now, you are locked out on it
If you go as BLM, you now have 1 gear of your choosing of that job or hell if you want to greed loot for your PLD (if the tanks dont roll need) grab it you get locked on that job
Repeat as many ilvl55-70 (average) gear jobs you have

So for CT I at least can grab 2 pieces
Might push others to go level up other classes, restart the whole cycle chain

0 people doing FATEs, I was collecting lightning shards/crystals for the gold axe in botany @ centeral thanalan, the frog fate popped like 6 times, always went the full timer

They fucked up CT so hard. Can't go as fc. 1 piece per week.

Wtf square. If the dungeon is bad, I see many people quitting.

Better be the most fun raid ever, that's all I gotta say.

jiien

Point taken!
I suppose they'll be more important when I get around to levelling Marauder.

Because of how efficient FATEs are for leveling, and what it requires to get a Gold rating for a FATE, most people group up, which means most people gravitate to the best areas to group up. So, you can find people to do FATEs with in the following areas (these are general levels):

10 - 20 Western La Noscea/Aleport
20 - 28 South Shroud/Quarrymill
28 - 35 Eastern La Noscea/Costa Del Sol
35 - 42 Coerthas/Camp Dragonhead
42 - 50 North Thanalan/Ceruleum Processing Plant

You can stay for a few levels extra in these areas if you like your group, or leave a few level earlier if you hate the area, but this is pretty much where everyone is for FATEs. By the time you get to Marauder though, 2.1 might be out (about a week and a half to go!), at which point it might be faster to do dungeons.

ok, got through all of the registration woes and played for about 3 hours last night. :eek:

Worked my way up to Lv.6 (playing as a Gladiator), joined the Gladiator Guild, beat my first boss, and loving every moment. I have yet to join a party or even explore that much, but all in due time I imagine.
My lord how much of an improvement this is over FFXI to me. Keep in mind, I only played FFXI from about Nov. 2003 thru May 2004, so I'm not sure how much they changed in the course of the last 10 years.
I still need to get the hang of the various button commands (playing via PS3).

I'm on Ultros and have officially registered to join the Gather Against Fate heroes. :)
Hopefully you guys have room for a rookie. Ran into a few GAFers last night (Darkness Tear was one of them; I think I ran into Red Xiii) and was mindful to bow to show my respect.

Cheers!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
It's finals soon for the kids! give it some time

Yes, but those kids will have other things to take away there time too
Games they have purchased for their console/PC waiting to be played, new consoles to taer open and play, MMO is a huge time sink, with 2.1 it doesn't ease them to catch up in progression, it makes them try to overcome stupid weekly lock out hurdles
Most who are joining in on are from the PSN or GMG FFXIV deals right now

Because of how efficient FATEs are for leveling, and what it requires to get a Gold rating for a FATE, most people group up, which means most people gravitate to the best areas to group up. So, you can find people to do FATEs with in the following areas (these are general levels):

10 - 20 Western La Noscea/Aleport
20 - 28 South Shroud/Quarrymill
28 - 35 Eastern La Noscea/Costa Del Sol
35 - 42 Coerthas/Camp Dragonhead
42 - 50 North Thanalan/Ceruleum Processing Plant

You can stay for a few levels extra in these areas if you like your group, or leave a few level earlier if you hate the area, but this is pretty much where everyone is for FATEs. By the time you get to Marauder though, 2.1 might be out (about a week and a half to go!), at which point it might be faster to do dungeons.

Yes, but starting out any on the starter zones has not that many people running, FATEs can be soloed (some of them), some you do need people
That's what I was trying to say, if you alone and FATE pops, what do you do?
I know a CNJ can't solo most of the single mobs, the newer people don't even have a choco companion to help them out in this mix

Valus

I think I will give up running WP for a while because of the horrendous lag.

http://ns.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1rxvt8/time_warner_socal_users_any_user_with_lag_repost/

There's basically no way for me to fix this issue except tunneling with a VPN or tether my smart phone. I am getting like up to 25% packet loss sometime.

Anyone else who's on TWC on the West Coast can ping or do a tracert to Ultros server 199.91.189.36

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm trying the 30-day free trial of WTFast right now and it seems to be working better (not perfect but definitely better) so you might want to try that for now, and hopefully by the end of the free trial SE/TWC/Tata have their shit together.

GraveRobberX

The way FFXIV from 2.1 on, is going to be played like a daily different RPG every week
Rather than you get to choose what you want to invest your time into, the game makes those choices for you, cause once you do them, it's better to wait till next week to start again

2-3 days are your Coil Days
1 day is your CT day
1 day is for your gathering/crafting days
1 is for the beastmen hunts/help FC through something
1 is for extreme primals
1 is off day, which becomes cap your myth day, hello Sirius/HM Dungeons/WP + AK

Repeat ad nauseum

So your week can be packed, but now you have to either say fuck you, not going to be held hostage and just say bye to the game or you truck through it, like scheduled playdates with the game and try to do it on a daily basis

Also I'm just using this as a template for players who work and can only log in for say 3+ hours a day
I mean for those who log in as a day/night job, lockouts will be a bitch to deal with, most will either just do their daily grinds and go do other stuff or bitch like me =3

Ferr986

The only way the can salvage with CT gear lockout is once you get a piece of gear for job, you are literally locked out for said job you are on

So go into CT as PLD, get piece, now, you are locked out on it
If you go as BLM, you now have 1 gear of your choosing of that job or hell if you want to greed loot for your PLD (if the tanks dont roll need) grab it you get locked on that job
Repeat as many ilvl55-70 (average) gear jobs you have

So for CT I at least can grab 2 pieces
Might push others to go level up other classes, restart the whole cycle chain

Yeah, I see alot of new players getting time outs on NM FATEs from the starter areas because theres not enough people.

For those that want to read the whole interview.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/119279-FFXIV-Famitsu-Interview-with-Yoshida

Why can't they just simply say what skill will be taken away from bards?

This was added by Slycer near the end of that thread:

Another new interview on a website onlinegamer.jp with a few new points... working on translation now, here's what I got so far, I'll keep updating:

-Only about 10% of players are participating in the Binding Coil. That's actually higher than they anticipated, though.

-People have gotten through turns 1 through 4 more easily than they expected, and they are saying this is because Paladin turned out to be a more powerful tank than they had planned for.

-The current turns of Binding Coil won't be made easier in 2.1, but there will be some difficulty relaxation in 2.2 when more turns are added.

-They aren't implementing it yet, but they are planning to implement a resume function for downloading client and patch data in the future. The size of patch 2.1 is expected to be several GB. They are trying to keep it as small as possible, but housing takes up a large amount of resources.

-Dungeon-specific furniture will be added to encourage people to go back and retry old dungeons. A few of these parts already dropped before player housing was added, but most will be added in 2.1.

-Gathered materials like ore and lumber will play a large role in housing construction - some directly gathered, some will require crafting first.

-Crafted furniture will be biased towards carpenter in 2.1, but they plan to even it out in the future. Alchemy and cooking will play a larger role in PvP.

-Duty Roulette is broken up into four playlists:

Low Level: Sastasha, Tam Tara Deepcroft, Copperbell Mines, Bowl of Embers, Halatali, Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak, Haukke Manor, Brayflox's Longstop, Temple of Qarn, Cutter's Cry, Stone Vigil, The Navel, Dzemael Darkhold, Aurum Vale, Howling Eye, Cape Westwind

High Level: Wanderer's Palace, Amdapor Keep, Copperbell Mines (Hard), Haukke Manor (Hard), Pharos Sirius

Guildhests: All of the guildhests, basic training through Solemn Trinity

Main Scenario: Castrum Meridanum, The Praetorium

-The crafter level required to make furniture will be related to the item level which corresponds to the dungeon where the material comes from.

-They hope to deliver patch 2.2 more quickly than the time between 2.0 and 2.1.

ironcreed

Banned
Got to level 12 last night and am having a blast. Being able to dye my gear can't come soon enough, though. At one point I had baby blue pants, helm and boots, with red and bronze body armor and yellow gloves. Looked like a walking Easter egg, lol. I finally got some matching gear on the market board to hold me over, but I really want to find a nice set.

Mairu

Tell us a bit about the features of the monsters lurking in the Crystal Tower.

Yoshida: Groups of monsters are placed at regular intervals, and bosses will be encountered after defeating some groups of the monsters. This will repeat several times.

How strong are the monsters?

Yoshida: The battles are designed so that 24 people in three parties dealing damage at a certain level will be needed to defeat them.
LOL. What's the point of even printing this?

GraveRobberX

Got to level 12 last night and am having a blast. Being able to dye my gear can't come soon enough, though. At one point I had baby blue pants, helm and boots, with red and bronze body armor and yellow gloves. Looked like a walking Easter egg, lol. I finally got some matching gear on the market board to hold me over, but I really want to find a nice set.

You on ultros?

Let me know Iron, I have crafting classes than create better color dyes, can create you 10+ pots of your favorite color, then you can dye them all you want to which color
I can go mine or botany the pigments you need

The red pigments gives a nice dark red that I can make for ya

jorgeton

My character currently looks ridiculous. Purple blouse top with attached mini skirt and purple tights and small boots. smh. He looks like a ballerina. when I get online later tonight, priority #1 is getting a new wardrobe.

jiien

Yes, but starting out any on the starter zones has not that many people running, FATEs can be soloed (some of them), some you do need people
That's what I was trying to say, if you alone and FATE pops, what do you do?
I know a CNJ can't solo most of the single mobs, the newer people don't even have a choco companion to help them out in this mix

I was suggesting that if someone really wanted to actually do FATEs, they have to get a group to do so. FATEs are not worth doing if you have to solo them (and as you say, not even possible to complete in many cases). Thankfully, on your first job, as mentioned by Bomber Bob, you don't need to do FATEs at all, given how many quests you have available.

If you're alone and a FATE pops, you ignore it. It's not ideal, but that's the way the game is played. Until they fix/adjust scaling, FATEs aren't worth doing solo. With the upcoming patch, given what we've seen of the exp increase so far, I suspect that FATEs will become the leveling method to use only if you don't have a guild/LS, or don't have the time to do a full dungeon.

As an aside, though I think that they should tweak the way FATEs are scaled, I'm okay with FATEs being a group-only thing.

ironcreed

Banned
You on ultros?

Let me know Iron, I have 50 Alchemy + 40 Goldsmithing
We have the option to create better color dyes, can create you 10+ pots of your favorite color, then you can dye them all you want to which color
I can go mine or botany the pigments you need

The red pigments gives a nice dark red that I can make for ya

Yep, I am on Ultros. I bought some grey dye for when I can finally use it, but black and maybe some red would be nice. How much gil would it cost me? And now that gear sets are available, where do I find them?

GraveRobberX

Yep, I am on Ultros. I bought some grey dye for when I can finally use it, but black and maybe some red would be nice. How much gil would it cost me? And now that gear sets are available, where do I find them?

Nothing I'll make it for you

Vendor sells low quality colors cheap

The crafters get access to higher color dye

I'll make ya 10 soot black, 10 snow white, and 10 Dalmund(sp?) Red

Any other colors?
I'm logging in right now, will go grab the pigments

ironcreed

Banned
Nothing I'll make it for you

Vendor sells low quality colors cheap

The crafters get access to higher color dye

I'll make ya 10 soot black, 10 snow white, and 10 Dalmund(sp?) Red

Any other colors?
I'm logging in right now, will go grab the pigments

Damn, no need to go to the trouble, but I thank you all the same. I will not be able to hop on until later. Do you need my character name or what?

GraveRobberX

Damn, no need to go to the trouble, but I thank you all the same. I will not be able to hop on until later, but do you need my character name or what?

It will take me 10 min tops

Not a huge deal, I'll just make 'em and save them in my inventory

When you log in later, just send me a tell if I'm on (Grave Robber)
If you say it in here and I'm reading GAF, I'll log in

GraveRobberX

Will do, and thanks again for taking the time.

Already done, told you it would only take 10 minutes

Took 5 minutes to go gathe rthe supplies, 5 minutes to craft the items

Created ya 10 snow white, 10 soot black, 5 dalamud red, 5 wine red
Once I see ya, I'll come to you and trade this and give ya extra welcoming presents (~.^)

Aside from more endgame stuff and thangs to do, this game could really use more classes. Yeah, yeah, "they need to balance the ones we have," but there's really nothing else I want to level for a main class aside from maybe SMN. I'm holding off on leveling a tank because I'm hoping a new tanking class is in the works. How soon, realistically, will it be before we can expect to hear rumblings about more classes? Six months? A year? Longer? *Gasp*

This game doesn't need new classes when they seem to spend all their time thinking of new ways to prevent you from gearing up the classes you already have.

Aeroangel

Banned
Today I logged into Cactuar, and discovered with heavy heart that my free company had disbanded =(

But I am rerolling a new character on Ultros yay!!!! =)

Please feel free to add me: Aero Angel. I look forward to joining the GAF free company soon!!

Since I am pretty familiar with the game hopefully I will level up much quicker this go around.

jiggle

They should spend more time fleshing out jobs that are already in the game first
a little more variety wouldn't hurt
what kind of blm gets to only pew pew fire spells?
or a smn with only 3 pets

gear that goes beyond numeric upgrade also much needed

Torquill

Given the development expense of properly creating a new class and doing it justice (gear art for all races, class/job quests etc), I wouldn't expect a new class until the first expansion. Unless...they were already well underway on one before release.

ironcreed

Banned
Given the development expense of properly creating a new class and doing it justice (gear art for all races, class/job quests etc), I wouldn't expect a new class until the first expansion. Unless...they were already well underway on one before release.

Samurai would be nice, but I'll be focusing on Marauder/Warrior for awhile yet. Then on to Lancer/Dragoon.

teiresias

Hello, folks.

Besides the OT, are there any good FF14 starter guides out there that are worth a read?

The game is fairly straight-forward, particularly prior to endgame, so I'd honestly just play it, and maybe read a macro-writing guide once you get more abilities if you decide you don't want to on-off ever ability on the hotbars. You basically just need to decide what combat role you'd enjoy playing for your first class.

GraveRobberX

Samurai would be nice, but I'll be focusing on Marauder/Warrior for awhile yet. Then on to Lancer/Dragoon.

Pro-Tip on MRD, put all those bonus points into VIT+
At the lower levels you will be like there's no ROI, but in the higher levels it will matter

If you put into STR, later down the line might have to burn 10,000 GC Seals to by the hymn which erases your bonus allocation and let you put them again however you like
It's only +30 points, but they became a good nice buffer to add into the right place
At the lower levels 1 VIT+ bonus gives 9 points of HP, but by the time you are 50, those same points now give you +15 HP, so 30 points = an extra 450 HP+

Also each class has it's own +30 points don't worry about saving and thinking where to allocate them that if you +VIT on MRD/WAR, LNC/DRG gains them also, they do not, you earn +30 class, you job takes those points also

So

GLD/PLD + MRD/WAR = +VIT
PUG/MNK + LNC/DRG = +STR
ARC/BRD = +DEX
ACN/SCH + CNJ/WHM = +MND
ACN/SMN + THM/BLM = +INT

Only way that you might have to split is ACN due, cause both SCH & SMN share ACN stats, so up to you which you favor, some do 15 INT+, 15 +MND, or 30 in one they will use more

GraveRobberX

Today I logged into Cactuar, and discovered with heavy heart that my free company had disbanded =(

But I am rerolling a new character on Ultros yay!!!! =)

Please feel free to add me: Aero Angel. I look forward to joining the GAF free company soon!!

Since I am pretty familiar with the game hopefully I will level up much quicker this go around.

Hope you enjoy the goodies (^_^)

Should last you at least till level 20+

WolvenOne

On the issue of the starting Fate areas. With 2.1 being so close, "VERY," few people are going to be leveling a new class right now. They'll be waiting until after the update, when they have the Dungeon XP buff to work with.

While Fate's will probably never be, "as," crowded after that point, at least the starting area's should improve a bit after that point.

Aeana

Give us some more detail about the number and type of rewards that will be available from the Crystal Tower.

Yoshida: In the Labyrinth (the dungeon for the first stage of the Crystal Tower) which will be implemented first, four total boss monsters will appear. One treasure box is guaranteed to appear after defeating each one, and new exclusive items will be obtained from there. One treasure chest will found for each party, so if you look at the entire alliance, there will be 12 total items obtained in a single complete Crystal Tower run. The main items dropped ar armor. Since the armor drops successively, it may be difficult to decide exactly what you want. (laughs)

So the items could go to up to 12 different people. 50% probability at obtaining an item isn't that bad at all. Can you explain the system of lotting rights with the loot distribution?

Yoshida: As an example, imagine you defeat one of the bosses and one item appears in the treasure pool for your eight man party. You perform the "need," "greed," or "pass," as you normally do. If someone obtains a drop, regardless of the selected command, they will not be able to choose "need" or "greed" later on. This condition clears at a specific time. You will be able to obtain an item up to once per week, but you can challenge the area as many times as you want.

So you should pass the items unless you really want them?

Yoshida: Yes. If you can obtain an item you want and you have not used up your lotting rights, please don't hesitate to "need" the item.

So this is unlike the Binding Coil of Bahamut, for example, where you can receive equipment as many times as you want.

Yoshida: There's a big difference between the two. The idea behind the Crystal Tower is that you can repeatedly challenge the tower with the goal of obtaining one specific item, and then go ahead and do other content once you receive that item.

What other content? Also, this confirms that treasure drops after each boss fight, so I guess expect a lot of incomplete CT runs as people leave once they get their stuff.

Do I need to install the PS3 version to add it to my account, or I get a code?
I'm planning on buying it on PSN instead of paying the subscription this month, but I don't want to play it on PS3.

frequency

Why is Greed locked too? Need is already dumb enough, but Greed as well? So there's going to be a lot of lost gear as people Pass instead of Greed waiting for the one piece they desire the most.

Good design.

Azrael

What other content? Also, this confirms that treasure drops after each boss fight, so I guess expect a lot of incomplete CT runs as people leave once they get their stuff.

That's what I'm afraid of. If they're going to do this they need to force players to complete the raid before they get an item.

So what happens if say 19 people who are loot-locked go in CT to help, and after everyone who wasn't locked each got a drop? Would gear after that start hitting the ground?

studyguy

So what happens if say 19 people who are loot-locked go in CT to help, and after everyone who wasn't locked each got a drop? Would gear after that start hitting the ground?

Loot is supposed to be locked to parties iirc, not locked to the whole alliance. It would be terrible to get a drop split between that many people. I also recall in the last liveletter that they said they would lock the number of times you would be able to NEED on loot. I assumed it would be a CT lockout on NEEDing not outright lockout on drops in general which blows imo.

Also found the QA on the drops being party specific

frequency

Yoshida: As an example, imagine you defeat one of the bosses and one item appears in the treasure pool for your eight man party. You perform the "need," "greed," or "pass," as you normally do. If someone obtains a drop, regardless of the selected command, they will not be able to choose "need" or "greed" later on. This condition clears at a specific time. You will be able to obtain an item up to once per week, but you can challenge the area as many times as you want.

Doesn't that say it is on both GREED and NEED?

So if everyone has received gear for the week, all additional drops would just be lost forever, no?

Doesn't that say it is on both GREED and NEED?

So if everyone has received gear for the week, all additional drops would just be lost forever, no?

That's how I'm seeing it atm. Which is just plain dumb. And you better make sure you pass, even if the gear drops to you because no one wanted it, you're locked for the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom