• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
What other content? Also, this confirms that treasure drops after each boss fight, so I guess expect a lot of incomplete CT runs as people leave once they get their stuff.

I can totally see evil people focusing on the last loots in CT for the first weeks, so they are only left the first ones after the rush of people wears out. Fake dc's everywhere.

gatti-man

You guys are really over thinking ct. It's going to be fun endgame content to get tomes and some lvl 80 armor if you need it. That's it. It satisfies the need for other dungeons besides Ak and wp. It sucks that is can't be done by one 24 person group but I'm sure that will change in time.

I mean who even gives a cap about gear when between myth and coil lvl 90 gear is pretty easy to get.

Is there anywhere else to level in the early 40's other than around dragonhead area? I'm so so sick of the area and the insane grind you get in the 40's. I need to go somewhere new, done all the quests, guildheists, and fate grinding is getting old fast.

Ken

Is there anywhere else to level in the early 40's other than around dragonhead area? I'm so so sick of the area and the insane grind you get in the 40's. I need to go somewhere new, done all the quests, guildheists, and fate grinding is getting old fast.

Mor Dhona if you can find a group, but that's pretty hard since any FATE shouts will be drowned out by level 50 content shouts.

I usually take Dragonhead all the way to 42 and then go to N. Thanalan.

adixon

So, you can queue for a CT in progress, I hope? Because I could see one person from each party potentially quitting the duty once they got their drop, and maybe another couple raging out because some other party members brought AF/WP Gear (despite how Yoshida said that the dungeon is meant for people with iLvL 55 equipment). Hell, if too many people quit in one group alone, does that fuck up all the other groups?

Good God, CT is so poorly planned out.

I'm not worried about the loot lockouts until I try it and find it annoying (maybe I'm just lacking imagination/experience) but the fact that you can't bring a party of 24 people you know into CT is a pretty major buzzkill for me.

I was really looking forward to playing with gaffers I don't usually get to play with because of coil's static groups*, and on top of that 2/3rds of your group is going to be made up of people you'll probably never meet again from duty finder. Whether or not people have gotten lucky with Titan HM, I think we can all agree challenging fights don't always bring out the best in the duty finder experience.

Hopefully everyone sticks around long enough that they can figure out how to code a 24 person raid group! It's funny to think that once everyone has mastered CT, they'll eventually allow us to go in with 24 people we actually know, and the whole thing will become significantly easier. Kind of reminiscent of the way they put level 90 loot in the game before level 80... odd choices.

* Hopefully the fact that you don't get entirely locked out of the dungeon will mean that people run CT more casually for fun/myth, and we all become a little less locked into our statics.

aceface

Second day in a row I can't advance the story because the NPC I need to talk to is bugged. It's for the level 36 story quest "Cold Reception" and the dude I am supposed to talk to in Coerthas won't respond. Frustrating as hell.

Coverly

OK for the newcomers coming in here are my tips that might help you

First message me in game, say hi or whatever, I'll pass you 10,000 gil each so you can guys have a a little bit of gil for stuff
I'm Grave Robber on Ultros (same as GAF name with the X only missing)

Next, I know you just started out, learn to start eating food right away, it will give you a 3% bonus, not much, but I mean over time it adds up
Buy the cheapest item from the vendor like boiled eggs for DD's, flatbreads if you are tanking class, and raisins for casting
They aren't much, can get grab a stack of 99 very cheap
They last 30 minutes, unless you die, then it's gone
*If still pricey let me know in game when I'm on, I'll buy it for ya*

Now for the first 10 levels, solo it, learn some of the skills/mechanics of your class
In between you'll see icon on your map with a purple octagon shield icon, or if you are nearing an area where it's happening, those are FATEs
These are you world events that take place at certain times (most are 10-15 minutes, the higher tiers ones are 1 hour+)
This where you gain chunks of XP
Never solo in FATE's, always shout to party up, why?, the more people in party, the more XP you gain off the adds (cause you will be killing them quickly and more will be respawning) + if solo boss, you need to do 30% damage to get Gold Ranking, so if you have party members, they help achieve it easier than soloing it

Always try to get Gold, at the start you'll gain XP + Gil, but when you reach the level 25 quests of the main storyline, you'll get to join one of the three grand companies, and then seals will become your go to collecting (gear, weapons, items)

Dungeons are also a good XP helper, with 2.1 patch (December 17th) they will be getting a huge buff, at the moment FATEs are the go to for XP
Dungeons can be repeated many time over for gear to slot in or if your really dedicated miser and don't want to splurge at all, just grab everything possible

If you need to make a little money from the get go, once you get at least a class up to 20, try your hand at botany + mining
It maybe boring to some, but at the lower levels, shards can make you decent gil
Fire + Wind + Earth get eaten up like no tomorrow
If you at least invest a hour or two to harvesting, you will have enough items ready to sell for your retainer (your personal seller who sells stuff on the marke0tboard on you behalf)
You can go put stuff on the market, while you go level up and by the time you are done, you should some nice gil waiting for you

Always check market history on how items are selling, never undercut by a huge margin
A gill or two OK, but not something like 50+ gil per

If you need help are stuck, message me, I'm always doing something, so I;m always on most of the day
Hell if you need a buddy to play with, I have a level 10 arcanist and 15 whm that come help ya
Other DD classes are 20+, MRD/DRG are 30+, so I have classes in range to help with whatever you need for the coming weeks

*ALSO VERY FUCKING IMPORTANT*
Don't hesitate to tell your party members you are new, you need some help understanding some stuff, most are helpful, some will always be dicks no matter what

If you need to get into crafting, I say wait till you at least get a little holding of the game and start sinking gil into crafting
Keep some gear for other classes/jobs, it's stupid to sell gear in the start or convert into materia (that's a whole different beast), cause most overlap for classes

If you get to 20, let me know, whatever your class, I'll try to craft ya rings with a vit+ materia for you to enjoy for at least 10+ levels
Try to keep the free potions from side-quests, can really help you in a bind if you got no way to heal or need an insta hp gain without casting a speall

Hope some of this info helps

PS: Just running around the map and surveying it gives you XP, so be an adventurer and just say fuck it and run around and see how far you can reach before eating it, you might build up 10K+ xp just from wandering around and unlocking the whole map
There are many many maps to survey

GAF is quite huge, I think 1st day of early phase, most of us in there had already gotten the FC to Rank 5 that day lol

GAF has many members, so that insignia of the guild is everywhere, I wouldn't be surprised that 25% of the server is GAF running around at a given time

I see them everywhere

I meant to say this the other day but that was a great post!

I'm lvl 17 now, started fresh around thanksgiving and it's been a lot of fun. Doing a little better using my pet as a scholar but still learning the class. In groups my gameplay is still messy, getting used to switching targets and popping a random heal. I haven't put any points on any attributes, I'm going to read a guide or two on the class before doing so.

Can I get an invite to the gaf guild on ultros? I applied on the guild site already and I'll be on tonight for an hr or two. Character name is Bettle Dungie.

Sophia

The part about mentioning if you're new is very important. I'm always willing to help new players in a dungeon, but nothing ticks me off more than wiping to something and then a player going "Oh, I'm new!"

Speak up before everyone starts so we can save time. Nobody will be mad if you speak up beforehand (usually), but everyone will probably hate you slightly if you just wasted people's time and didn't say so beforehand.

Totakeke

* Hopefully the fact that you don't get entirely locked out of the dungeon will mean that people run CT more casually for fun/myth, and we all become a little less locked into our statics.

Unfortunately all things point to CT being a cakewalk especially for CoB veterans.

I'm sure we'll get some cool music and bosses though. Well... hopefully.

Yopis

Just got back into this recently. Was on Goblin server with friends that have pretty much quit the game. What are the main servers for Gaf? Might do a server transfer next week would love to get into the guild.

Unfortunately all things point to CT being a cakewalk especially for CoB veterans.

I'm sure we'll get some cool music and bosses though. Well... hopefully.

I foresee even Coil of Bahamut experienced groups having problems with Crystal Tower considering no matter what you are forced to use Duty Finder for 16 other people.

I'm sure we all have horror stories of Duty Finder groups, and after 2.1 I'm sure we'll have even more :(

Edit -- Took out the abbreviations to avoid any confusion for new/returning players.

Totakeke

I foresee even Coil of Bahamut experienced groups having problems with Crystal Tower considering no matter what you are forced to use Duty Finder for 16 other people.

I'm sure we all have horror stories of Duty Finder groups, and after 2.1 I'm sure we'll have even more :(

Edit -- Took out the abbreviations to avoid any confusion for new/returning players.

Yeah, but having problem with other players doesn't make a dungeon challenging or fun. It just discourages people from playing even more.

It's like when people ask me to help on Titan etc., the first thing I ask if whether they even have a semi-premade.

People don't do things which occupy time with no meaningful reward for fun in MMOs, because MMOs are designed by their nature as timesinks.

The myth cap is being raised to 450, so unless they also raised the per-dungeon myth rewards as well, people will be more focused than ever on efficiency because nobody actually wants to run WP 10 times every week to hit their myth cap. Nobody.

The reason people tend to run with their statics even for non-Coil grinding is that everyone in their static knows how everyone else plays, and furthermore they know that these people know what they are doing and won't waste everyone's time. They can get things done more efficiently, and when you have to do it 10 times every week you can fucking goddamn well believe people will focus on efficiency.

Squenix has made the grind of FFXIV's endgame pretty anti-social and hardcore, it's not quite Korean but it's pretty close sometimes. It's not the players' fault they are tending to clique, I have to grind WP 5 times a week every week and I would greatly prefer to spend about 10-11 minutes per WP run rather than possibly much more with people I don't know. My lifespan is finite and my gaming time doubly so since I work a full time job.

adixon

People don't do things which occupy time with no meaningful reward for fun in MMOs, because MMOs are designed by their nature as timesinks.

The myth cap is being raised to 450, so unless they also raised the per-dungeon myth rewards as well, people will be more focused than ever on efficiency because nobody actually wants to run WP 10 times every week to hit their myth cap. Nobody.

The reason people tend to run with their statics even for non-Coil grinding is that everyone in their static knows how everyone else plays, and furthermore they know that these people know what they are doing and won't waste everyone's time. They can get things done more efficiently, and when you have to do it 10 times every week you can fucking goddamn well believe people will focus on efficiency.

Squenix has made the grind of FFXIV's endgame pretty anti-social and hardcore, it's not quite Korean but it's pretty close sometimes. It's not the players' fault they are tending to clique, I have to grind WP 5 times a week every week and I would greatly prefer to spend about 10-11 minutes per WP run rather than possibly much more with people I don't know. My lifespan is finite and my gaming time doubly so since I work a full time job.

You almost sound guilty you're so adamant, you don't have to explain yourself to me! It wasn't my intent to make anyone feel like I was accusing people of being too cliquish. I spend almost all my time with the people I know best in game too -- that's just the way the game is designed right now, like you said.

I was voicing a hope that changes to/elaborations on the game's design could help loosen things up a bit. 24 person raids with most of gaf on at a given time sounds like a lot of fun to me :)

I'm just sad that the main thing I was looking forward to in 2.1 is now who knows how many months off.

Just started this up thanks to psn plus, pretty overwhelming, there's quests everywhere, should I just concentrate on the main quests for now, everywhere I turn there's a fetch quest, is that pretty much to get you used the game?

I kinda wanna get the pc version but don't want to pay 30 bucks for another key when I already have the ps3 version. any sales going on for the pc version.

Teknoman

Just started this up thanks to psn plus, pretty overwhelming, there's quests everywhere, should I just concentrate on the main quests for now, everywhere I turn there's a fetch quest, is that pretty much to get you used the game?

I'd say do the quests as you go, because eventually some of the non-story quests unlock other game mechanics, like materia and dyes.

ironcreed

Banned
Finally unlocked beastmaster. It was hidden in the warrior job for some reason. It's very different from ffxi's bst. The power is in the master, and you can only charm a chocobo, you can call minions but they don't do anything. The upgraded bst af looks awesome. Now to get the jackcoat. Overall, it's a better solo class than bst since ffxi's mobs would usually rip you a new one if you tried to fight them 2-5 levels under them.

xfF9caG.png

Man, your character looks great. Can't wait until I get similar gear.

Sophia

People do things for fun if the fun itself is meaningful. Which means people are unlikely to run Crystal Tower if they've already gotten loot unless they're helping other people or just REALLY enjoy the fights.

Ken

People do things for fun if the fun itself is meaningful. Which means people are unlikely to run Crystal Tower if they've already gotten loot unless they're helping other people or just REALLY enjoy the fights.

Or like to watch trainwrecks.

Anyways, running Relic trains is the very definition of running something for fun with no meaningful reward. If people can get a party together, I'll hop aboard and have fun doing it even if I get nothing material out of it.

aceface

My approach with my main class is to always do the story quests first and only do side quests when I hit a level requirement stop sign in the story and need to level up. I like to leave the side quests available for alt classes so I can do them when I get sick of fate grinding. Everyone has a different approach though.

You almost sound guilty you're so adamant, you don't have to explain yourself to me! It wasn't my intent to make anyone feel like I was accusing people of being too cliquish. I spend almost all my time with the people I know best in game too -- that's just the way the game is designed right now, like you said.

I was voicing a hope that changes to/elaborations on the game's design could help loosen things up a bit. 24 person raids with most of gaf on at a given time sounds like a lot of fun to me :)

I'm just sad that the main thing I was looking forward to in 2.1 is now who knows how many months off.

I would enjoy an all-GAF 24-man raid but unfortunately Squenix can't design MMO UIs and so we can't take a 24-man premade into CT.

Anyways, running Relic trains is the very definition of running something for fun with no meaningful reward. If people can get a party together, I'll hop aboard and have fun doing it even if I get nothing material out of it.

This is untrue. There are very specific and meaningful rewards for helping on Primal runs, which is why I help when people need someone for those.

omlet

Went for the 1st time in 2 months gaf legacy server fc is quite.

If some people had gotten their way a couple months ago you and everyone else who hadn't logged in lately (despite the fact that we still have a couple hundred free slots) would have been logging back in with no FC at all.

All these king monsters and yet no Cactaur King...

I know you all despise how they are doing the CT but I want to fight those bosses. I want to see the Tower, will it wow me like the Pharos Lighthouse from XII? Will it be as mythical like Giruvegan? Will it resemble the Crystal World from IX. Am I drinking the koolade? Yeah probably.

Teknoman

So excite just looking at the first floor bosses. I also think its cool that both Coil and Crystal will have segments added to them as time goes by. Just hope they plan the rest better.

I know you all despise how they are doing the CT but I want to fight those bosses. I want to see the Tower, will it wow me like the Pharos Lighthouse from XII? Will it be as mythical like Giruvegan? Will it resemble the Crystal World from IX. Am I drinking the koolade? Yeah probably.

I've got a glass from the same pitcher.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Pretty pumped for the patch after the trailer and the webpage. A proper King Behemoth fight should be fun. =D

Ken

Yeah looks to be a pretty fun patch if you don't get too hung up on the looting and lockout systems. Might even give PVP a try.

Teknoman

Oh wow, they really did a nice job with Pharos theme, the FF III remixes are sounding nice, and I knew Siren was going to be the house boss...wasnt expecting crystal zombies. Glad they brought back the Dungeon Beat from 1.0. Nice to see King Mog again.

Ultima Weapon battle = LASERS EVERYWHERE. Couldnt have come at a better time too since i've just been exposed to it's power (thanks again for the NM Garuda help). Spriggans have learned to pilot Golem.

I'll give PVP a shot once I see the rewards in game, but I dunno. Housing looks cool though. I feel PVP would be better served as objective based here. New scenario quests are always a good thing.

Treasure Hunts could be fun if different variants of monsters show up.

Also did I spot a musketeer enemy?

Ploid 3.0

Treasure hunts looks like a way to add HNM without making it a fate. They can lock it out so outside people can't get in the way like Leves too. Hmm, I wonder what level they are also.

Edit: HNM = Big boss monster, like Cancer the crab, or something.

I'm going to enjoy watching streams of people trying out the hard modes, and extreme modes. I hope the ffxiv people I bookmarked on twitch play it.

Also Treasure Hunt better have worth while loot. None of this Grand Company points, gil, and exp stuff.

WolvenOne

Oh, I'm eagerly awaiting the patch, I just think some people are a little extra impatient because of the month delay. (Understandable, but not particularly helpful.)

The only thing about the patch I'm scratching my head a little on, is the item Lockout for CT. Not being able to go in with a 24 person group is, unfortunate, but since the first floor at least looks fairly easy it shouldn't be much of a problem. (It'd be a huge problem if this were truly hard content.)

Even the lockout isnt't going to be, THAT big a deal. I've done the math, and assuming a two month gap until the next update, people should be able to grab two classes worth of armor before then. (Assuming you're not interested in Jewelry or Belts.)

Seeing as some of these armor sets work on multiple classes, that should be plenty for most users. Hopefully by 2.2 they start getting far enough ahead on content, to feel comfortable using less severe lockouts on future stuff.

But, er, yeah. Crystal Tower looks amazing, and will be a welcome change of pace once a week or so. The extra level 50 dungeons will make capping FAR less repetitive, I really want to try PVP, really want to work my way through the new boss fights, and am really eager to level up some additional classes.

Eh, some extra Turns in Coil would've been nice, if only to keep the real hardcore types satisfied, but the content here should easily keep me occupied till February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom