• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newb here who purchased the CE via the PSN sale, wanted to introduce myself. I'm playing as a Lancer, and am on Ultros like most.

There's a definite learning curve playing this game on the PS3... Communication is especially tricky with no keyboard. Add in that this game is quite the barrage on the senses your first time (and that I haven't played an MMO in years), and it's easy to feel overwhelmed. I'm using these early levels to get accustomed to it all. I'll probably be soloing for a lil' while, but I'm definitely up for joining the GAF FC later!

Well I have to hand it to them. They know how to make a fucking good patch trailer.

I was about ready to never login for 2.1, and now I'm pumped!

ironcreed

Banned
Newb here who purchased the CE via the PSN sale, wanted to introduce myself. I'm playing as a Lancer, and am on Ultros like most.

There's a definite learning curve playing this game on the PS3... Communication is especially tricky with no keyboard. Add in that this game is quite the barrage on the senses your first time (and that I haven't played an MMO in years), and it's easy to feel overwhelmed. I'm using these early levels to get accustomed to it all. I'll probably be soloing for a lil' while, but I'm definitely up for joining the GAF FC later!

I hear you. I am not joining any groups until I get my shit together and have a decent character going. For now I am enjoying getting a feel for the world and all of the mechanics.

To all the new people:
You are not required to form a party until you're lv15, but you can do optional stuff from lv10. That doesn't mean you shoul play solo. Find a buddy to travel with you during the low level story quests, it makes a lot of difference in your enjoyment.

Also, as soon as you hit lv10, and especially lv15, ask for people in the FC to run dungeons and hests with you. Contrary to what some new members think, it's not a burden to help you. We like doing them, but you have to let us know as soon as you start, not after two hours waiting for the duty finder as a DPS :p

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I hear you. I am not joining any groups until I get my shit together and have a decent character going. For now I am enjoying getting a feel for the world and all of the mechanics.

Hey sorry I missed you yesterday, I OM NOM NOM'ed myself into a food coma

My bad, I need to be on when you are on

Like the new trailer. Only thing that worries me was the inclusion of the 1.23 dungeon theme when showing the HM dungeons.

Don't get me wrong, I still like that theme. But if just throwing the old dungeon theme on is Yoshi's idea of "looping dungeon music" I'll be annoyed.

The right way would be going to each of the existing 2.0 dungeon songs, extending them and making them loop, and have custom battle themes that compliment each song like Coil (and PSO).

Cmagus

Well I have to hand it to them. They know how to make a fucking good patch trailer.

I was about ready to never login for 2.1, and now I'm pumped!

The Final Fantasy XIV cycle at work

-This game is boring <insert patch/content> needs to hurry up
-<insert patch/content detailed> This looks cool
-More details - What the hell is SE thinking with this <poor decisions>
-Everyone is gonna quit. This game sucks you messed up SE and total player base meltdown
-New trailer for said patch/content
-I'm gonna resubscribe this is the best thing ever and hey maybe <poor decisions> aren't that bad
-1 Week later
-This game is crap and boring I hope the next patch is good

Every single time.

You know if they at least took the lockout off of coil end game wouldn't be so bad. This new stuff looks cool I just hope that it can carry the player base till next March/April when hopefully the next patch comes out.

At least after this one they should be caught up and the content going forward will both be new and challenging for end game people as well as most of the people are capping out. Being legacy has been rough so far so I can't wait till everyone is on the same playing field and then we can move forward.

Sophia

I am dully reminded that Quest XP is painfully low compared to FATEs sometimes... Although it beats the constant rush to each FATE.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So purchasing this on ps3 doesnt entitle me to the PC version does it? just the PS4 version when it comes out? I like the game but DAYUM dem ps3 grafix are baaaddd!

GraveRobberX

So purchasing this on ps3 doesnt entitle me to the PC version does it? just the PS4 version when it comes out? I like the game but DAYUM dem ps3 grafix are baaaddd!

No if you buy the PS3 version, you only have the PS3 version
You have to buy a copy of the PC version to play on the PC, but then you can play the same character on either platform
PS3 copy, when PS4 copy releases, we will be given the chance to upgrade our PS3 version
If you do, you no longer will have access to FFXIV on PS3 but for PS4, if you want PS3, might have to buy PS3 copy again

jorgeton

I agree with the above. This is my first real MMO and it's overwhelming. I'm slowly getting my bearings. Navigating through these menus with the PS3 pad takes some practice. I just discovered that the square button brings up the map, which is a lifesaving feature. But I'm already feeling more comfortable. Going solo for now, but will def. give a shout when I need help with dungeons and the like.

Also, the GAF FC is a chatty bunch! You guys had me laughing a couple of times with the discussions going on. It's interesting to read the chat logs while auto-running through the countryside (or desert-side, in my case).

WolvenOne

Question, why are so many people talking about, "next April," being the date for the next patch? The reason this patch was so late, was because of the early Server woes. You should be able to assume that the next patch will come at least a month earlier, possibly two, seeing as they were originally talking about a two month gap between patches.

So, that'd be mid-March, if they're using a three month turn-around, and mid-February if they're down to two months. The later would likely work better, seeing as first, the PS4 Beta is in February, and second, that the formal PS4 release is in April.

Granted, even if that's what they intend, it still comes down to what they'll be able to deliver.

kierwynn

Question, why are so many people talking about, "next April," being the date for the next patch? The reason this patch was so late, was because of the early Server woes. You should be able to assume that the next patch will come at least a month earlier, possibly two, seeing as they were originally talking about a two month gap between patches.

So, that'd be mid-March, if they're using a three month turn-around, and mid-February if they're down to two months. The later would likely work better, seeing as first, the PS4 Beta is in February, and second, that the formal PS4 release is in April.

Granted, even if that's what they intend, it still comes down to what they'll be able to deliver.

Everyone is just assuming that the next patch will coincide with the PS4 release. I could see that happening, but I think they mentioned getting the next one out quicker, so who knows.

studyguy

Roughly 3 month plan for expansion.
We're getting a patch late, now due to initial launch problems, they admitted that already.
I fully expect a Late March/Early April patch to coincide with the PS4 release. Best result would be Late Feb/Mid March. But at the very earliest I would expect March... if earlier, fantastic... but that's still roughly 3 months.

WolvenOne

Roughly 3 month plan for expansion.
We're getting a patch late, now due to initial launch problems, they admitted that already.
I fully expect a Late March/Early April patch to coincide with the PS4 release. Best result would be Late Feb/Mid March. But at the very earliest I would expect March... if earlier, fantastic... but that's still roughly 3 months.

Weren't they talking about a two month turn-around on patches prior to release? Could have sworn I saw that in an interview.

Anyhow, again, unless something drastic happens, March should be the latest we should expect the next patch, since that's the 3 month mark.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so I'm Lv. 20 and still don't have a mount. At what point do I get to join a GC? I kinda wanna get that done as soon as possible.

Also thinking about trying out a crafting class or two. Probably carpentry and/or mining.

Ken

Okay, so I'm Lv. 20 and still don't have a mount. At what point do I get to join a GC? I kinda wanna get that done as soon as possible.

Also thinking about trying out a crafting class or two. Probably carpentry and/or mining.

Keep up with your main story quest and you get the mount around 20-25.

aceface

You join a GC right after beating
Ifrit
which I think is level 21. Your mount comes along with joining your GC. Generally speaking in this game, if something you are expecting has not happened yet, advance the story.

You are definitely going to want a keyboard- not having one will make the game nearly impossible later on when communication within your party is crucial. I picked up a Bluetooth keyboard from Amazon for around $20 and it works great with the PS3.

I agree with the above. This is my first real MMO and it's overwhelming. I'm slowly getting my bearings. Navigating through these menus with the PS3 pad takes some practice. I just discovered that the square button brings up the map, which is a lifesaving feature. But I'm already feeling more comfortable. Going solo for now, but will def. give a shout when I need help with dungeons and the like.

Also, the GAF FC is a chatty bunch! You guys had me laughing a couple of times with the discussions going on. It's interesting to read the chat logs while auto-running through the countryside (or desert-side, in my case).

Try going on Mumble so sometime, the conversations on there are hilarious. I don't talk much but I'll often leave it on cause its so funny.

So this afternoon, in a team effort my 4 year old and my 11 month old kids managed to totally bust the left analog stick on my DS3. I was really looking forward to playing this weekend so looks like I get to run to GameStop to drop $40 on a new one -_-

Sophia

You join a GC right after beating
Ifrit
which I think is level 21. Your mount comes along with joining your GC. Generally speaking in this game, if something you are expecting has not happened yet, advance the story.

Yup. The Bowl of Embers is level 20, but once you complete that there's a few more quests and then you'll join a Grand Company. At which point it's 2000 seals (easily earned in FATEs) to get a Chocobo.

Timeaisis

I might get back into this for 2.1. I stopped at like level 35 because I couldn't beat
Titan.
Always had a terrible group who would
fall off the ledge.

pitbull

Banned

It was originally a 3 month space between patches, so people are saying march because i can almost promise they will release an update with the ps4 release. So either they rush 2.3 out quick so 2.4 can come with ps4 or they release 2.3 in march and release 2.4 right after with the ps4.

Its a whole lot of speculation with not much seeming feasible besides the update with ps4 happening.

I feel like a broken record here but join UltrosGaf and we can help you power past Titan to get that relic. Even if they end up dragging your dead body *coughmecough* through it.

I feel like a broken record here but join UltrosGaf and we can help you power past Titan to get that relic. Even if they end up dragging your dead body *coughmecough* through it.

I would love to take up the offer, but I'm in another FC on Ultros. Despite it being thoroughly abandoned, I feel a strange compulsion to not leave; at least for now. If there's another way I can meet up with GAF people, then I'd be happy to party up in the game.

EDIT: Unless by "UltrosGaf" you meant the entire server and not the FC. Either way, my character's name is Remi'to Erra on Ultros. :)

pitbull

Banned
I would love to take up the offer, but I'm in another FC on Ultros. Despite it being thoroughly abandoned, I feel a strange compulsion to not leave; at least for now. If there's another way I can meet up with GAF people, then I'd be happy to party up in the game.

EDIT: Unless by "UltrosGaf" you meant the entire server and not the FC. Either way, my character's name is Remi'to Erra on Ultros. :)

Well yoshi said they are fixing the lag in some instance fights including titan, so if you want to wait im sure there will be tons of people beating it then

Well yoshi said they are fixing the lag in some instance fights including titan, so if you want to wait im sure there will be tons of people beating it then

It's not so much the lag I'm worried about, since I know the Paladin just sorta stands still during the fight. I'm more worried about doing something boneheaded. Performance anxiety and all that. XD

You are definitely going to want a keyboard- not having one will make the game nearly impossible later on when communication within your party is crucial. I picked up a Bluetooth keyboard from Amazon for around $20 and it works great with the PS3.

Yeah, I'm eventually going to get one. A wireless bluetooth would definitely be cool, too.

Ploid 3.0

I managed to get back on after maintenance this morning and people in AF2 and such was seemingly doing the same thing I was (wanting to fight low man Cancer the crab fate hnm). It was pretty fun. First attempt time ran out, killed on second. I few extra people was around for second but it was still not a lot of people. Though it seem easy for the adds to be totally avoided after a while.

This makes me wonder, when servers come up are all the big fates up like the HNMs for ffxi?

pitbull

Banned
It's not so much the lag I'm worried about, since I know the Paladin just sorta stands still during the fight. I'm more worried about doing something boneheaded. Performance anxiety and all that. XD

oh its never about the person and their ability, its when 8 people's performance comes into questions. That's when it all goes to hell lol. Tanking it is fairly easy unless you walk of the edge (maple)

GraveRobberX

oh its never about the person and their ability, its when 8 people's performance comes into questions. That's when it all goes to hell lol. Tanking it is fairly easy unless you walk of the edge (maple)

Hey it happens to the best of Paladins >.>;

I somehow got my PS3 controller to spaz, made me auto run right off the ledge, he was down to 10% too LAWL

We one shotted him the next time, boy was that embarrassing!

WolvenOne

I managed to get back on after maintenance this morning and people in AF2 and such was seemingly doing the same thing I was (wanting to fight low man Cancer the crab fate hnm). It was pretty fun. First attempt time ran out, killed on second. I few extra people was around for second but it was still not a lot of people. Though it seem easy for the adds to be totally avoided after a while.

This makes me wonder, when servers come up are all the big fates up like the HNMs for ffxi?

Not all, the ones that give the most XP tend to be, but there's also Add-spawn Fates, and Multi-part Fates, both of which can give a ton of XP, especially if played correctly.

WolvenOne

It was originally a 3 month space between patches, so people are saying march because i can almost promise they will release an update with the ps4 release. So either they rush 2.3 out quick so 2.4 can come with ps4 or they release 2.3 in march and release 2.4 right after with the ps4.

Its a whole lot of speculation with not much seeming feasible besides the update with ps4 happening.

You mean 2.2 and 2.3 right? 2.4's probably a June or July thing, if I had to guess.

Anyhow, the PS4 release is in April, not March. So either they're holding 2.2 till April. (unlikely,) or they're going to try for a Feb-April Patch schedule.

Or they won't patch for the PS4 release at all, which, also seems unlikely.

Jomjom

Banned
Ok guys, I need some advice.

I'm a fan of Lightning (I know weird right?), but I need to level my character to 45 by 12/9 before the event ends so I can get the whole costume. I'm currently 36, what would be the fastest way to get to 45? I pretty much have all of the weekend to rush to 45.

I'm a fan of Lightning (I know weird right?), but I need to level my character to 45 by 12/9 before the event ends so I can get the whole costume. I'm currently 36, what would be the fastest way to get to 45? I pretty much have all of the weekend to rush to 45.

It'll be back in Febuary...or January so you still have time BUT if you must, you can just level up in Costa de Sol until you get to 41 and then head to Cortheas and level up to 45 there.

WolvenOne

Actually you can just party with a group of higher level players and be carried through the last Fate.

If you really want to get a bit closer though. Go to Costa Del Sol, Fate till level 40. Then go to either Mor Dhona or Northern Thanalan, and continue fating. If you haven't done so already, you can also do your Guild heists for some quickish XP.

Edit: I actually got through this Fate, with mid-30's Paladin. I just tagged along with another group when they were first doing these Fates.

Ah, okay. Well, if GAF is getting together for any hard mode Titan runs and they have room for a Paladin, then I'll jump in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom