• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
I though it would be a good idea to make Weaver my second 50 craft (because I have a lvl 50 Botanist). Then I saw the lvl 20 thread is made by Diremite webs.... :(

You can skip Diremites stuff as long as you got a few extra Leves to spare.

Just do the Level 20 Cotton triple turn-in leves in Quarrymill. Added bonus that sometimes those same Leves reward Diremite's Web. Then when you get to 30 start using all the Diremite's Web you got as a reward to get you closer to 32-33, then start grinding out the Linen items you need for level 35 leves. Just be prepared to farm a ton flax with your Botanist (500+), specially if you end up using Linen to bypass Wool/Felt stages in the 40s.

desu

Bahm wanted to get another relic finished and thought that shout parties would enough to get Titan done 3 months into the game. However in the last 3 evenings I had parties that were even worse than Duty Finder. I also have no problems with people making errors, but some are not even able to listen to the most simple advice given =/ (one of these persons actually was shouting to buy Titan for 100k once the party disbanded).

Just wanted to get all relics finished but I guess it's easier waiting for the majority of my FC to sign on for Twintania once a week to just one shot Titan then =/.

Then you're a horrible botanist =D

There's 10 items alone that can make you bank, easily

Seriously if you leveled your gathering class up to 50 and can't make gil... Jesus!

Right now E. Thanalan there are 2 items that make you boatloads
In South Shroud you have 1 that every WVR longs for
Coerthas has a nice item, that can be a fast seller, you burn through stacks of it quickly on your retainer
Mor Dohna gives you the chance to grab 45 clusters of an element
Middle La Noscea gives you an item at level 50, which a lot of crafters require and top of that you have fire shard/crystals in the mix too
If you chase for the gold axe for botany, your node hit on the lvl 50 node give you so many shards/crystals, Wind Shards from South Shroud, Lightning shards/crystals from Central Thanalan, Fire shards/crystals from Middle La Noscea
You also have the 1 hour nodes that can be helpful if you keep hoarding them, then unleashing them when the market prices is just right

I think 3.5mil of my 4.5mil gil is just from Botany/Mining, I have 30+ items in rotations
If markets starts dipping I pull out, put something in its place
Hell I now mine/botany for a hour or two, put 40 retainer slots worth of stuff, then go kill mobs for their drops, while I'm killing, I see my shit selling, by the time I get back, I put up the loot I gathered, then I go mine/botany till that sells

You have to put in time & effort to make gil
Rather make slow & steady gil over time than chunks and then wait till next big hit
Sometimes gil is needed for certain things that may arise

Any advice for a Miner? I'm probably going to finish it before 2.1, it's around level 40 right now.

Ultrabum

Bahm wanted to get another relic finished and thought that shout parties would enough to get Titan done 3 months into the game. However in the last 3 evenings I had parties that were even worse than Duty Finder. I also have no problems with people making errors, but some are not even able to listen to the most simple advice given =/ (one of these persons actually was shouting to buy Titan for 100k once the party disbanded).

Just wanted to get all relics finished but I guess it's easier waiting for the majority of my FC to sign on for Twintania once a week to just one shot Titan then =/.

I am trying to kill Titan over and over for the fist weapon. I too was surprised that the successes are still about as frequent as when the game was new.

But when you get T4 on farm mode your set will probably want to do T5 almost everyday too (atleast thats what is happening to me right now lol I dont have much time to level other classes now..)

but that should be enough for Coil.

I have a bunch of equipment that is i49 to i55. I'm doomed

I though it would be a good idea to make Weaver my second 50 craft (because I have a lvl 50 Botanist). Then I saw the lvl 20 thread is made by Diremite webs.... :(

Spam Quarrymill leves as WVR until you get Diremite web. Craft into dew thread for profit

Thank you to everyone that signed up! We're on our final stages of completing the group, we just need to check the last members and we're all set.

Entering the spotlight:
Ashlin Tramontane - BRD
Baramoht Klynhollsyn - SMN
Mei Hatori - MNK
Takato Pakato - BLM
Mael Almaceda - SCH
Zan Samuel - WHM
Dingle Berry - PLD (not confirmed)

Baramoht might tank so Nin Py can join as DRG, that's not 100% decided, tough.
We're going to do some trial runs tomorrow night. ENTHUSIASM!

Tabris

I asked this question multiple times before but that was either before it was out or in beta.

1) How "gimped" are PS3 players compared to PC players? Is there a FF14 equivalent version of Windower from FFXI. Because it was a night and day difference between PS2 and PC users on FFXI and I would actively try to avoid playing with PS2 players.

2) I watched a video difference and PS3 version suffers from low textures (expected) but some nasty pop-up / character loading. Does this affect gameplay in any way? (and I assume this will be fixed with PS4)

I don't have a PC anymore (switched to Mac), so if I'm going to invest my time into FF14, I want to make sure I'm not behind PC users.

Ken

I asked this question multiple times before but that was either before it was out or in beta.

1) How "gimped" are PS3 players compared to PC players? Is there a FF14 equivalent version of Windower from FFXI. Because it was a night and day difference between PS2 and PC users on FFXI and I would actively try to avoid playing with PS2 players.

2) I watched a video difference and PS3 version suffers from low textures (expected) but some nasty pop-up / character loading. Does this affect gameplay in any way? (and I assume this will be fixed with PS4)

I don't have a PC anymore (switched to Mac), so if I'm going to invest my time into FF14, I want to make sure I'm not behind PC users.

1) Depends on who you ask.

2) I get delayed models loading in occasionally even on PC.

Tabris

And sorry, a couple other quick questions:

1) If I was to start, what class is both in demand for party play but can effectively solo for quick 1 hour play sessions? I also assume I want an easier to play class when playing on PS3 / PS4 if it is a gimped experience (less hot buttons?)

2) Do you have the concept of quick to the trigger notorious monster hunting? As that really wore thin. I like instance based quests and events. Is there any thing that would make me want to play on a low populated server so I don't have to compete as much?

My favourite experience in FFXI was Salvage hunting (before the post-level 75 patches) with a really solid group as it was both challenging, required a small group, and you were locked on how many you could do so less time consuming (in terms that you can login for a couple hours and get them done for the week)

Ken

1) Tanks are always in demand and can solo well.
2) Uh, you mean like camping monsters for stuff? I don't think there's much of that here (competition and stuff).

And sorry, a couple other quick questions:

1) If I was to start, what class is both in demand for party play but can effectively solo for quick 1 hour play sessions? I also assume I want an easier to play class when playing on PS3 / PS4 if it is a gimped experience (less hot buttons?)

2) Do you have the concept of quick to the trigger notorious monster hunting? As that really wore thin. I like instance based quests and events. Is there any thing that would make me want to play on a low populated server so I don't have to compete as much?

1. Tanks are probably the most in demand, but play what you like and they all are pretty good at soloing really so I would choose what looks the most fun to you.

2. And no there is no NM like in 11 in this one. And just play on Ultros, its higher populated but you still wont be competing too much with others(at least in my experience).

Tabris

When you say tanks, can you be more specific? Is that GLA & PLD, or any other class considered a tank? How do they play on PS3 controls? Any better jobs for that?

Ken

When you say tanks, can you be more specific? Is that GLA & PLD, or any other class considered a tank? How do they play on PS3 controls? Any better jobs for that?

Gladiators become Paladins.
Marauders become Warriors.

Both are tanks so at character creation just choose Gladiator or Marauder.

Yes, the two tanks are currently Gladiator to Paladin and Marauder to Warrior. As for ps3 controls I don't know personally. I played 11 on ps2 and had no problems with controller options.

Edit: Ill just let Ken answer everything cause hes faster to answer than me :(

Tabris

Yes, the two tanks are currently Gladiator to Paladin and Marauder to Warrior. As for ps3 controls I don't know personally. I played 11 on ps2 and had no problems with controller options.

Edit: Ill just let Ken answer everything cause hes faster to answer than me :(

PS2 was super gimped compared to PC Windower users for FF11. It just wasn't possible to keep up with the equipment changes. Is the concept of mass equipment changes removed from FF14? I remembered as a PLD my character just blinked every second. PS2 users couldn't target me due to the blinking so couldn't use them as healers.

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to be tempted to buy a PC if I get really into this game.

PS2 was super gimped compared to PC Windower users for FF11. It just wasn't possible to keep up with the equipment changes. Is the concept of mass equipment changes removed from FF14? I remembered as a PLD my character just blinked every second. PS2 users couldn't target me due to the blinking so couldn't use them as healers.

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to be tempted to buy a PC if I get really into this game.

Yea, I am not really sure about the ps3 situations, but it seems like its pretty much that same just you load into places slower.

And for for gear switching I havent even really tried in combat(not sure if you even can) but it isnt necessary at this point in the game yet.

edgefusion

You might find the hotbars on PS3 somewhat limiting, although not drastically so. As a level 50 Monk with all the desired cross-class abilities except one, I find it a bit of a squeeze to keep everything important on one bar.

I don't think PS3 players are gimped though, I've played all three roles (tank, dps, healer) and I don't feel like I'm having any difficulty managing them with a controller. The only issue that really bothers me personally is that I can't participate in the Odin FATE because of the model-culling issue, he just never loads or loads so briefly to render it pointless. I don't know how this issue will affect the 24 man Crystal Tower, hopefully not at all but time will tell.

Sophia

The biggest issue I've found with using a controller is targeting while tanking. I can get confused, try to switch targets using the shoulder buttons, and the bar isn't up.

That said, it's not impossible. Healing and DPS are really easy, and I find I have enough buttons with two cross-hotbar sets.

Ken

you can't change equipment in combat

ps3's biggest issue seems to be that it loads slower. some people say you can't see enemies spawn as quickly but i have the same issue on PC so ??

dunno anything about controller play but it seems decently designed.

Only time I struggled with controller is playing as SMN since there are a billion things I can use and they're all useful at one time or another...

Everyone says I'm geared enough for Coil but I seem to disagree big time. I kinda suck so I figure the better equipment I have, that might help in one way or the other. I plan to shoot for the SMN pants *coughskirtcough* first and then perhaps shoot for the SMN AF2 body next. Once 2.1 hits, I can make Astral stuff and overmeld that. Am I being a bit extreme or no?

Tabris

OK, so it sounds like the game mechanics that Windower introduced that put such a large gap between PC and PS2 users on FFXI don't exist the same way in FFXIV and the only issues is how fast you can be with a controller and potential targeting issues with load times on PS3.

Does that sound accurate? I just want to make sure that someone who is very familiar with FFXI and the whole Windower scene is able to give me a yes on this so I can feel comfortable.

Sophia

OK, so it sounds like the game mechanics that Windower introduced that put such a large gap between PC and PS2 users on FFXI don't exist the same way in FFXIV and the only issues is how fast you can be with a controller and potential targeting issues with load times on PS3.

Does that sound accurate? I just want to make sure that someone who is very familiar with FFXI and the whole Windower scene is able to give me a yes on this so I can feel comfortable.

Yes, that's accurate more or less. Even then, the controller isn't a significant drawback right now for most jobs.

Tabris

Yes, that's accurate more or less. Even then, the controller isn't a significant drawback right now for most jobs.

Which jobs is it a drawback for?

EDIT - I'm buying the game now. Which server should I join with everyone else on GAF?

Sophia

Which jobs is it a drawback for?

EDIT - I'm buying the game now. Which server should I join with everyone else on GAF?

The pet and tank jobs, in theory. It's not impossible however, I've seen people make it work.

And GAF is pretty big on Ultros.

oneils

Well, I'm basically stuck. I can't find a group for Satasha. No one, is doing it -_-

I Got into it after a nine minute wait as a marauder. I'm guessing dips have to wait a long time.

Liking the game so far. I'm pretty slow at it, though. Only went from 12 to 18 today after putting in a solid six hours.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Any advice for a Miner? I'm probably going to finish it before 2.1, it's around level 40 right now.

I'll have to get back to you later on today, I'll show you my 1 hour full rotation
This means 1 whole day spent in Eorzea, running around grabbing stuff
If you can find at least 2 hours a day (2 days in Eorzea) every or other day, you go out way ahead

You will start to stockpile items, which is what you want

A Gatherer who only gathers for just the time being and never have reserves always will never be ahead of the selling curve

suzu

Reminder for new players: Make sure you're keeping up with the main scenario/story quests. The icon (a fiery looking ! circle) looks different from the regular quest icon.

Ken

Good job at Titan HM today guys!

iNpgHwaHjuAb9.png

So how much do I need to overmeld my Vanya robe and hat for it to be better than DL? Hoping to get the SMN AF2 pants this week and perhaps the Vanya shoes too.

Teknoman

I can tank for any dungeon you new recruits need help with. And if you need damage...well im going to start up my pugilist (monk) again now that i'm done with Lightning's stuff.

Of course I still need to check out Darkhold and Aurum Vale myself.

Mononoke

Banned
I am so confused guys. I'm only a level 17 Arcanist, but I don't have my Summon II. Even though it says I should have had it by level 15. What did I do wrong? Also, I need to pick up a second class already. Don't know how or which one to pick to go with Arcanist.

Ahhh.

Ultrabum

I am so confused guys. I'm only a level 17 Arcanist, but I don't have my Summon II. Even though it says I should have had it by level 15. What did I do wrong? Also, I need to pick up a second class already. Don't know how or which one to pick to go with Arcanist.

Ahhh.

Some abilities come from quests given buy your guild. Go to the arcanist a guild!!!

Ken

Ahhh.

Some abilities come from quests given buy your guild. Go to the arcanist a guild!!!

Yup. Also, if your second question is referring who you should take to get your Arcanist's job (Scholar for healing, or Summoner for DPS), the answer is Conjurer for the former and Thaumaturge for the latter.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Arcanist

This wiki is pretty awesome too and I wholly endorse it.

This post was sponsored by Grimm Grandiron.

Mononoke

Banned

I feel so stupid lol. I basically was playing this off and on, and then hadn't played in a month or two. So I'm really confused. Was considering just starting all over again with a new character. =/

So I need to visit the Arcanist Guild in Limsa Lominsa and just go through every single quest until I get to their level 15 quest?

Yup. Also, if your second question is referring who you should take to get your Arcanist's job (Scholar for healing, or Summoner for DPS), the answer is Conjurer for the former and Thaumaturge for the latter.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Arcanist

This wiki is pretty awesome too and I wholly endorse it.

This post was sponsored by Grimm Grandiron.

Great, thanks. So in order to open up a second class, I need to complete my guild quests up to level 10?

Ken

I feel so stupid lol. I basically was playing this off and on, and then hadn't played in a month or two. So I'm really confused. Was considering just starting all over again with a new character. =/

So I visit the Arcanist Guild in Limsa Lominsa and just go through every single quest until I get to their level 15 quest?

You only have to visit it roughly every 5 levels.

Mononoke

Banned
You only have to visit it roughly every 5 levels.

Yeah. But I basically didn't play the game right. I don't think I've visited the guild in a long time. So my guess is, my quests are probably still really low. So I guess what I was saying is, I'll have to go back and do every quiz until I hit the level 15 one which will give me summon II. =/

It's all my own fault (and stupidity). lol Well guess I have my work cut out for me. Should be easy, given my high level in comparison to the missions.

Ken

Yeah. But I basically didn't play the game right. I don't think I've visited the guild in a long time. So my guess is, my quests are probably still really low. So I guess what I was saying is, I'll have to go back and do every quiz until I hit the level 15 one which will give me summon II. =/

It's all my own fault (and stupidity). lol Well guess I have my work cut out for me. Should be easy, given my high level in comparison to the missions.

Oh yeah. On the bright side they're still quests that give decent XP.

Mononoke

Banned
Oh yeah. On the bright side they're still quests that give decent XP.

Lol I feel pretty stupid for playing this game so poorly. Oh well. I'm still having fun. Was just busy with my last semester at college, so that took priority. Just finished up, so I'm jumping back in. But going away for close to 2 months, has left me completely confused. How the hell did I play this game before?!?

I'll get back into the swing of things soon I'm sure. Just kind of funny to see how poorly I played this character prior.

I'm considering trying a second class. Gladiator or Pugilist. Not sure which to go with. Pug seems like some crazy DPS.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Went from 1 to 16 BTN in one go. What exactly should I be focusing on in order to make money with BTN? I know about shards and all, but anything else besides that?

Lyonaz

Went from 1 to 16 BTN in one go. What exactly should I be focusing on in order to make money with BTN? I know about shards and all, but anything else besides that?

I would like to know this too, got my Botanist from 40 - 50 friday by doing all those Levequests in Coerthas and Mor Dhona and a very long playlist on youtube.
I know selling jobquests HQ items are pretty good for a quick buck.

Ferr986

24 hours maint for 2.1 on Dec.16

Extended Maintenance Associated with the Implementation of Patch 2.1

Hello, all you FFXIVers out there! Producer/Director Yoshida here.
Thank you for your continued support of FINAL FANTASY XIV.

I’m happy to announce that the long awaited first major update “A Realm Awoken” will be released on Dec. 17, 2013.

In addition to the update, we are planning to make major updates to the data centers. Therefore, we have will be conducting a 24 hour maintenance (maximum) starting from Dec. 16, 2013. Since the maintenance period is so long, let me take a moment to breakdown what we are planning to do.

- Dispersing the Server Load and Making the World Selection Screen More User-Friendly

Currently, we are operating with data centers (which consists of numerous servers) set up for Japan, North America/Europe.
As of now, players will need to access either one of these data centers before they obtain the World list. However, due to the large number of players that access the data centers, a lot of stress is put on the “lobby servers” which causes the error “Unable to obtain the World list” to appear frequently.

Considering the additional Worlds that we are planning to implement with the release of the game on Steam and PlayStation 4, we would like to address this matter as soon as possible. In order to decrease the frequency of the “Unable to obtain the World list” error as much as possible, we will be splitting the Worlds in to smaller groups for each data center and making each of the data centers more independent. This whole process should result in a smoother login process and also make it easier for us to quickly enhance the servers when necessary.

- Changing the Number of Instances Assigned to Content with Patch 2.1

As I mentioned previously in the Letter from the Producer LIVE events and Topics, a large number of content will be added in patch 2.1.
Party/Alliance content in FFXIV is structured in a way that several hundred instances can be running at the same time. As you may know, we have been continuously making adjustments to the maximum number of concurrent instances. However, with the large variety of content that will be added in patch 2.1, we will be drastically changing the number of instances assigned to each content (this includes assigning additional instances to the Binding Coil of Bahamut).

Other than that, we will be making various adjustments such as tweaking how the players are matched via Duty Finder and replacing server equipment in order to improve the user-friendliness of the game.

Please note that while we stated that the maintenance will take a maximum of 24 hours, we will be working around the clock so that we can release the patch 2.1 to the public as soon as possible.

Due to the vast amount of tasks that we will be performing, the maintenance period will be much longer than usual. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

Please refer to the information below for details on the maintenance period.

Maintenance Period

At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on all Worlds. Maintenance will consist of various tasks such as splitting the Worlds in to smaller groups for the Japanese and North American/European data centers and replacing server equipment. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

* The World transfer service will be suspended 15 minutes before maintenance begins, and will be unavailable until maintenance has ended.

[Date & Time]
From Dec. 16, 2013 0:00 a.m. to Dec. 17, 2013 0:00 a.m. (PST)
* Please note that the maintenance period is maximum amount of time it could take to conduct maintenance. We will do our best to complete the tasks as soon as possible.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom