• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I just noticed I got the trophy for logging 1,000 trees last night. There's no fucking way that's not bugged, considering I hadn't even started BTN before last night. :lol There's just no way in hell I logged 1,000 trees in a single sitting.

ironcreed

Banned
Dat duty finder. Man, I waited about 20 minutes to finally be paired up so I could run Satasha in order to progress the story last night. It was fun, but the wait times are awful.

Dat duty finder. Man, I waited about 20 minutes to finally be paired up so I could run Satasha in order to progress the story last night. It was fun, but the wait times are awful.

The DPS way of life. I have been trying to get my full foestriker set for 2 days straight. It has been hell.

dcye

Wow, so I got off easy then? I am loving the game, but I can't say I am looking forward to using the duty finder. I can see myself getting burnt out quick with wait times like that.

Its relative to what class you play. If you're a tank, 20 minutes is pretty crazy. Ive waited huge amounts of time mainly because I play as a dps.

gatti-man

Wow, so I got off easy then? I am loving the game, but I can't say I am looking forward to using the duty finder. I can see myself getting burnt out quick with wait times like that.

The point of duty finder is to do something else while you wait. As dps class I've waited up to 90 minutes before. Typical wait is 20-30 minutes. Healers and tanks are instant to 5 minutes.

ironcreed

Banned
The point of duty finder is to do something else while you wait. As dps class I've waited up to 90 minutes before. Typical wait is 20-30 minutes. Healers and tanks are instant to 5 minutes.

Oh, I did. I ran around doing Fates and some other quests I had lined up. I guess it just started to grate on me knowing I was waiting to start something else. All part of getting acclimated to it, I guess.

MogCakes

I didn't realize Healers/Tanks were in such demand. Though I've never been much for pure DPS classes so that probably colors my perception.

Mononoke

Banned
I didn't realize Healers/Tanks were in such demand. Though I've never been much for pure DPS classes so that probably colors my perception.

Yeah I was going to make a second class today, and was thinking Pugilist. But then I read that there are too many DPS and they need Tanks Healers. I have a level 17 Arcanist. So I guess I'll go Gladiator and Tank on my second character.

Then you're a horrible botanist =D

There's 10 items alone that can make you bank, easily

Seriously if you leveled your gathering class up to 50 and can't make gil... Jesus!

Right now E. Thanalan there are 2 items that make you boatloads
In South Shroud you have 1 that every WVR longs for
Coerthas has a nice item, that can be a fast seller, you burn through stacks of it quickly on your retainer
Mor Dohna gives you the chance to grab 45 clusters of an element
Middle La Noscea gives you an item at level 50, which a lot of crafters require and top of that you have fire shard/crystals in the mix too
If you chase for the gold axe for botany, your node hit on the lvl 50 node give you so many shards/crystals, Wind Shards from South Shroud, Lightning shards/crystals from Central Thanalan, Fire shards/crystals from Middle La Noscea
You also have the 1 hour nodes that can be helpful if you keep hoarding them, then unleashing them when the market prices is just right

I think 3.5mil of my 4.5mil gil is just from Botany/Mining, I have 30+ items in rotations
If markets starts dipping I pull out, put something in its place
Hell I now mine/botany for a hour or two, put 40 retainer slots worth of stuff, then go kill mobs for their drops, while I'm killing, I see my shit selling, by the time I get back, I put up the loot I gathered, then I go mine/botany till that sells

You have to put in time & effort to make gil
Rather make slow & steady gil over time than chunks and then wait till next big hit
Sometimes gil is needed for certain things that may arise

I made about 500k on Earth Crystals but that market is fucked now. :c I guess I'll have to find something else to put my time into as far as farming goes.

I need to learn how to tank lol

have 48 pld and 35 war but still dont know how to tank properly

What problems you have? Can't keep hate?

Tanking in PLD is relatively easy. Pull with Shield Lob -> Flash a couple of times (or just one) -> Start your Halone combo -> when you finish it use Flash again.

Depend on the party and their DPS you might need to use Flash even before finishing your first combo. If you party starts doing AoE dmg, just spam Flash more. At lvl 50 you get your only AoE damage attack (Circle of Scorn) that will help you to tank multiple enemies.

Another reasonable thing to do is start spreading your combos between the enemy group. Watch the enmity bars in the party list and act accordignly: for example in one enemy you might have a lot of advantage in hate, so tab target and use your next attack on another it might need more hate.

In regards of mitigation skills is a good idea use at least rampart when pulling multiple enemies and try not to use many of them unless you totally need so. Becaue you might need them later and they will be on CD.

WAR is (until patch 2.1) quite different and might require a different approach (for example Overpower over Flash) but the basics of tanking it are the same.

omlet

Progress.

zum0.jpg

dark_chris

As a Pally, it always worked for me to start my combo as Shield Lob - Fast Blade - Circle of Scorn - Savage Blade - Spirits Within - Flash - Rage of Harlone.

Sophia

For only two enemies, I don't even bother to flash. Just start the Rage of Harlone combo and Savage Blade on whatever enemy isn't being focused.

For three enemies or more, flash at the start and do the same. Save your Rage of Harlone for the main enemy, but spread your Fast Blade and Savage Blade for other targets. Flash after combos too if you're not low on MP and won't pull more mobs.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

One thing I've found that helps (at least I think it does) is turning on all the language tabs on the duty finder screen instead of just English. I had been waiting forever to find an
Ifrit
party, went back in and tried it with all the language tabs turned on and found a party instantly.

frequency

I was with my friend in the story
Garuda
area last night. There was another person there. He approached my friend (tank) and asked him to join their group and even mentioned there was no place for me. We have the same last name which he obviously noticed when he mentioned me. But he right in front of me tried to poach my friend. Never said a word to me.

Why would you do that? It's so rude. What a jerkface jerk.

I hope he failed all night.

Sophia

I must admit, the events leading up to
Garuda
are much better than the events leading up to
Titan

Aeana

To those who stream this game, what program(s) do you use (on PC)? Not particularly experienced with that, but I would like to stream a couple of things.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
This is my 1 hour rotation, adjust to it however you like

MINER & Botany
(Eorzea Time)
Slot #1 - Grade 4 Carbonized Matter
Slot #2 - Lightning Cluster
Slot #3 - Fire Cluster
Slot #4 - Wind Cluster
Slot #5 - Water Cluster
Slot #6 - Ice Cluster
Slot #7 - Earth Cluster

1:00AM (Mine/Botany)
#1 - Coerthas Central Highlands - #3 - Darksteel Ore
#2 - Eastern Shroud (Hawthorne Hut) - #4 - Crawler Cocoons
#3 - Mor Dhona - #2-7 - Clusters

5:00AM (Botany)
#1 - Mor Dhona - #2-7 - Clusters

<Button Mushroom>

9:00 AM (Mine/Botany)
#1 - Eastern Thanalan - #6 - Gold Ore
#2 - Costa del Sol - #4 - Prickly Pineapple
#3 - Mor Dhona - #2-7 - Clusters

1:00 PM (Mine/Botany)
#2 - Eastern Thanlan - #7 - Black Truffles

<Button Mushroom>

5:00 PM (Mine)

9:00 PM (Mine)
#2 - Coerthas - #7 - Astral Rock

Somethings are still worth it, but it cost me roughly 1,200 gil with teleportation phase

You should set your 3 favorite destination to Costa del Sol for Limsa, East Shroud for Gridania, and Mor Dohna as the last for the clusters
You use Eastern Thanalan for Ul'dah as your Return point

Now just port everywhere
With 573 you can easily hit 3 different node, no need for cordials, will have to wait for a node or two

With this you can easily have a stockpile of each item within a week, you will be putting stuff on your retainer cause you won't have enough selling slots, trust me on this

Just bought this on the US PSN store ($10 for PS+!). Tries to run it on my main (UK) account and I get the following message: "Cannot launch FINAL FANTASY XIV. Please register the promotion code included with your package or download. A re-install will not be necessary."

Can't get any further than that. But then I tried it on the account I bought it on, and it seemed to load fine, and wanted me to set up an SE account, and link it to my PSN ID. Obviously I'd prefer to link it to my main PSN account, is this not possible? Not sure if anyone will be in the same boat as me, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
As a Pally, it always worked for me to start my combo as Shield Lob - Fast Blade - Circle of Scorn - Savage Blade - Spirits Within - Flash - Rage of Harlone.

Shield Lob not really necessary, you use it to pull mob that might go too far away on it patrol, so better to bring it to you rather than waiting for it or if you need a small buffer gap between you while you pull (like a boss)

For a group run in, Circle > Flash > Fast Blade on Target 1 (tag it for others) > Flash > Spirits on Target #2 > Flash > Savage on target # 3 > Rage on Target #1 > Circle > Flash
This way all stay stacked on you, by the time you done that rotation one should be dieing/dead, then you slow down the rotation, remove half the steps (mostly the Flash R' Us, just one or two if necessary), repeat

Just bought this on the US PSN store ($10 for PS+!). Tries to run it on my main (UK) account and I get the following message: "Cannot launch FINAL FANTASY XIV. Please register the promotion code included with your package or download. A re-install will not be necessary."

Can't get any further than that. But then I tried it on the account I bought it on, and it seemed to load fine, and wanted me to set up an SE account, and link it to my PSN ID. Obviously I'd prefer to link it to my main PSN account, is this not possible? Not sure if anyone will be in the same boat as me, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

You cant use US version on EU account, it wont let you
US version only for US accounts, same goes for EU for EU account
You have to play FFXIV on US account

Sorian

Banned
20 minutes? I've waited over 90 minutes many times.

Geez, what server? I play a BLM and I've never waited more than 45 minutes (which still isn't great but I'm used to MMOs so its really nothing).

Edit: You posted like half a day ago....... whoops!

In other new, I will hit or be very close to hitting 50 tonight :D

dcye

Geez, what server? I play a BLM and I've never waited more than 45 minutes (which still isn't great but I'm used to MMOs so its really nothing).

Edit: You posted like half a day ago....... whoops!

In other new, I will hit or be very close to hitting 50 tonight :D

Phoenix. I didnt think server mattered because Duty Finder was cross-server?

It's really getting worse to do low level storyline dungeon runs, the amount of new players jumping into the game has obviously slowed down considerably and most vets who are doing new classes know not to waste time doing dungeons and will go straight to Fate grinds.

Tying the storyline into having to complete the dungeons was a stupid decision, as over time it's going to get harder and harder for new players to get into the game, and they will find themselves stuck, and frustrated.

Sophia

Except this one, because goddamned everybody is a white mage.

Can you blame them? Healing is fun in this game. ;P

It's really getting worse to do low level storyline dungeon runs, the amount of new players jumping into the game has obviously slowed down considerably and most vets who are doing new classes know not to waste time doing dungeons and will go straight to Fate grinds.

Tying the storyline into having to complete the dungeons was a stupid decision, as over time it's going to get harder and harder for new players to get into the game, and they will find themselves stuck, and frustrated.

Luckily, there are solutions to this. I think the easiest solution however would be to make the bonus reward for helping new players scale by level. So that higher level players get appropriate level experience, or even Allagan Tomestones for level capped players.

Can you blame them? Healing is fun in this game. ;P

Ironically once I hit Stone Vigil, I started to find healing stressful. Then I hit endgame with the 8 man parties and I started to get cold sweats and get super stressed out. I always feel sorry for playing WHM and just hoping I don't let the party down lol

Teknoman

How was FFXI in this regard, because dungeons (not instanced, but still) and parties were integral to progressing the various storylines. I've always had a LS or group of sorts, so not sure if it was that big of a problem then.

aceface

Luckily, there are solutions to this. I think the easiest solution however would be to make the bonus reward for helping new players scale by level. So that higher level players get appropriate level experience, or even Allagan Tomestones for level capped players.

They are doing something like this in 2.1. You get tomes for entering a low level dungeon duty finder roulette.

Sophia

They are doing something like this in 2.1. You get tomes for entering a low level dungeon duty finder roulette.

Indeed, you're right. I just remembered that. So the problem will basically solve itself over time as long as the tomes don't become irrelevant. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom