• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

Level 14 GLA, Level 10 PUG

Game is addictive. I am struggling with targeting when dealing with a lot of mobs on PS3, so need to get that nailed down before end game.

MogCakes

Game is addictive. I am struggling with targeting when dealing with a lot of mobs on PS3, so need to get that nailed down before end game.

Yeah, mastering target group toggling is the hardest part of learning the UI. Glad you're having fun with it!

Sophia

By default, If you have a cross-hotbar up, then L1/R1 will switch between hostile mobs that you can see onscreen. This should serve you for the most part as far as enemy targeting goes. As a Paladin (Gladiator) I personally use the mixed option for my bars. All my primary tanking stuff (Combos and threat generation abilities like Flash and Provoke) are all on R2, so I have easy access to them.

You can also turn on target filtering and hit L1 + a face button to ensure you only target select groups of people. By default L1 + Triangle is All, L1 + Circle is Enemies. L1 + Square is friendly players, and L1 + X is party.

WolvenOne

Oh, that was the most enjoyable AK run I've had in the past month. Was Tanking for a couple people in the FC, whom are at the beginning of their next Relic Quest. Well, as a result the whole dungeon ends up being a bit more challenging than usual, and thus more rewarding.

The crowning moment, was when our Healer lagged out briefly, when The Demon Wall, was juuuuust over 25%. Well, of course, with no Heals the rest of the party dies in short order, and I was left with a Demon Wall with a quarter of its overall health left.

So, being a WAR, I switched to my Leech Rotation, activated Bloodbath, and started shooting off Inner Beast whenever I had full Stacks. Thankfully, it was juuuust enough, to stay ahead of the Demon Walls DPS, and I was able to slowly widdle it down and win the day. XD

I actually don't really feel like I can congratulate myself too much on this one, because it wasn't a brilliant strategy or anything like that. Also, the rest of the group did a great job on the dungeon. :)

Still gonna miss that Inner Beast self-heal, come 2.1.

What I do, is hold the Right analog trigger, then click the Right Bumper. It'll cycle through nearby enemies, and only nearby enemies.

ifPViziBF9sqZ.png

I look so shy...

Well you don't talk much anymore. :(

I don't think Mira ever talked in FC chat.

It's really getting worse to do low level storyline dungeon runs, the amount of new players jumping into the game has obviously slowed down considerably and most vets who are doing new classes know not to waste time doing dungeons and will go straight to Fate grinds.

Tying the storyline into having to complete the dungeons was a stupid decision, as over time it's going to get harder and harder for new players to get into the game, and they will find themselves stuck, and frustrated.

That's why they are increasing dungeon XP and also adding more rewards for doing dungeons in 2.1. They never intended for FATE to be the only way of leveling, but FATE XP is just too good compared to dungeon XP right now and that is being adjusted.

WolvenOne

That's why they are increasing dungeon XP and also adding more rewards for doing dungeons in 2.1. They never intended for FATE to be the only way of leveling, but FATE XP is just too good compared to dungeon XP right now and that is being adjusted.

Also there's the Daily Roulette. Which will offer rewards to lvl50 Players to go back and do a dungeon at random. You can bet your buttons that they're going to use this as a matchmaker program for those low level dungeons.

Also, we did recently get a decent burst of new players. What with all the people taking advantage of the black friday sales.

Aeana

Well that isn't true at all. He was very active in FC chat to begin with, when we were all leveling up to start with, and he's always offering to help people. Just the last couple of weeks he's been quiet. :(

Ken

Well that isn't true at all. He was very active in FC chat to begin with, when we were all leveling up to start with, and he's always offering to help people. Just the last couple of weeks he's been quiet. :(

Too shy around catman gryvan.

WolvenOne

Hopefully we'll get more population bursts like this in the future, and hopefully the gaps between updates will shrink down to 2 to 3 months max. I want the population to stay healthy, I want to help out new players from time to time.

Also, I want this game to do well enough to get Square out of the panicked cash starved state of mind they've been in these past few years. Square makes be baaaaaad decisions when they're like this.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment, I guess. Been playing since last Tuesday, currently Lv. 24 ARC and 20 BTN. And I guess I'm starting to feel the burn-out already. Though I'm pretty sure a lot of this is due to taking BTN from 1 to 20 in like two days. :lol At least today I wised up and put some movies on in the background while I was chopping trees (Ghostbusters, then Breakfast Club). That made it a bit more tolerable.

But yeah, I don't know. I reeeeeally want to stick with this game, and I feel like I just have to get over this hump and I'll be fine. I know I've still got plenty of story stuff to do, but...eh, I don't know, I feel like I want to do something else. I leveled BTN so I could make some money, but even now at 20 I'm...not entirely sure what the best way to go about that is (I read GraveRobber's post on making money as a BTN and while I'm sure it's super helpful and a great guide, I only understood about half of it, heh). I'd like to run dungeons and stuff, but it takes forever to find a party when you're a DPS, especially one that usually plays at 4 in the morning. :lol

Eh, I'm rambling here, sorry. My point is that I do really like this game, and I want to keep going, but I just feel a bit burned out, probably from all the BTN grinding. Really I guess I'd just like to do more things with other players, but I suppose until I hit 50 I'm gonna be focusing more on solo stuff.

Ken

I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment, I guess. Been playing since last Tuesday, currently Lv. 24 ARC and 20 BTN. And I guess I'm starting to feel the burn-out already. Though I'm pretty sure a lot of this is due to taking BTN from 1 to 20 in like two days. :lol At least today I wised up and put some movies on in the background while I was chopping trees (Ghostbusters, then Breakfast Club). That made it a bit more tolerable.

But yeah, I don't know. I reeeeeally want to stick with this game, and I feel like I just have to get over this hump and I'll be fine. I know I've still got plenty of story stuff to do, but...eh, I don't know, I feel like I want to do something else. I leveled BTN so I could make some money, but even now at 20 I'm...not entirely sure what the best way to go about that is (I read GraveRobber's post on making money as a BTN and while I'm sure it's super helpful and a great guide, I only understood about half of it, heh). I'd like to run dungeons and stuff, but it takes forever to find a party when you're a DPS, especially one that usually plays at 4 in the morning. :lol

Eh, I'm rambling here, sorry. My point is that I do really like this game, and I want to keep going, but I just feel a bit burned out, probably from all the BTN grinding. Really I guess I'd just like to do more things with other players, but I suppose until I hit 50 I'm gonna be focusing more on solo stuff.

there's your problem

Reknoc

Are you just doing BTN? If so why? Just do it while you wait for DF.

Ferr986

Always try to level BTN via Levequests for faster exp. Dont burn BTN, just level it while waiting for DF. You dont really need much money to get to 50 and complete the main story scenario, so dont worry much about it.

Kenai

The important thing to do is mix it up, especially regarding gathering (but crafting can be bad too). It's already been mentioned, but you can queue for DF on one job while you are leveling another, provided you aren't in a pt or doing leves. That alone can make a pretty big difference, especially since some of the wait times for the story dungeons can be pretty bad for a DPS. But besides that, there's usually FATEs and sidequests in every zone you can mess around with.

If you want to make some decent scatch around your level I'd target Button Mushrooms and Noble Grapes, both make decent $. I seem to be more resistant than some regarding hacking trees, but it's so easy to space out I don't really get tired doing it unless I've been at it for awhile.

One thing I've found that helps (at least I think it does) is turning on all the language tabs on the duty finder screen instead of just English. I had been waiting forever to find an
Ifrit
party, went back in and tried it with all the language tabs turned on and found a party instantly.
Then you get a frenchman that keeps randomly pulling and attacking mobs, but you can't teach him because he doesn't understand a word you say and you ne parle pas français. Auto-translation can only get you so far.

Reknoc

Got about 15 or so levels in fishing over the weekend while playing the Bravely Default demo for the bonuses since amazon suck.

soon i will be the fisher king

Ken

hey kag that set you linked before you left is gryphonskin armor (for mnks) with the obelisk crafted spear. i dont know if drgs can actually get the armor because their crafted stuff is a haubergeon instead.

WonderPup

I have a question:

I'm fairly new to the game; I've been playing for four days now. Last night, I ran Tam Tara with some people. I was the GLD, and I was told that I did well, but I should dodge more often. What does that mean? I side-stepped every conal attack, and I ran out of the range or radial AOEs. Is there more to it than that? Can you just run around in circles (as long as you're locked on) and dodge more standard attacks?

My thought process was to position mobs that can conal attacks to where they wouldn't be aimed at our mages (in case the mages weren't paying attention). Is this wrong?

derwalde

i want to join the carpenter guild but the guy at the reception wont let me. nether does he give me any quest (lvl 14 archer). what requirement is missing?

Naar

So I was helping a friend with relic quest and i tele back to my homepoint and within seconds i got kicked out from game and straight into XMB.

This way of getting kicked never happened to me before and usually if i do get kicked its back to the FF login screen and get an error code. There wasnt even an error code given.

Then it says that i have to use my activation code to activate the game when i choose FF14 from the XMB. Wont even open the launcher. So I switch off the PS3 and switch it back on and it wouldnt let me sign into PSN either, says sony is doing a maintenance.

Is this normal when PSN has a maintenance to get kicked out this way? Im mostly worried about the message that i lack an activation code, when ive been playing for the past few months now...

Tash

I have a question:

I'm fairly new to the game; I've been playing for four days now. Last night, I ran Tam Tara with some people. I was the GLD, and I was told that I did well, but I should dodge more often. What does that mean? I side-stepped every conal attack, and I ran out of the range or radial AOEs. Is there more to it than that? Can you just run around in circles (as long as you're locked on) and dodge more standard attacks?

My thought process was to position mobs that can conal attacks to where they wouldn't be aimed at our mages (in case the mages weren't paying attention). Is this wrong?

Hmm. No it normally means dodge conal attacks and Ground AOE like you mentioned. Did you get hit a lot? Unfortunately the character prediction on the server can be delayed. It's a huge pita if you aren't close to their servers (ie. I am in Europe and our servers are in Canada). I am using battleping and ever since then I don't have any issues dodging. Titan HM was pretty much impossible for me before battleping.

Sounds like you did what you are supposed to do. So maybe you had some delay? Or just slow dodging? ;)

I have a question:

If you did what you described, you're doing your job quite well.
About circling mobs: never do that. PGL and LNC have position-based attacks. If you spin the mob they can't attack from the sides and back. If possible, always try to get back to the same spot you left after dodging if a melee DPS is in the party.

aceface

i want to join the carpenter guild but the guy at the reception wont let me. nether does he give me any quest (lvl 14 archer). what requirement is missing?

Pretty sure you have to advance the main story to a certain point before you can change to other jobs. Have you taken the airship to the other cities yet? I believe that's the point at which it will let you pick up new classes.

Am I the only one that likes to queue up to a bunch of low level story dungeons as a healer at the end of the night? If I select enough one will typically pop instantly (so I don't feel like I'm taking the spot of a healer who needs the run). They are usually easy, and I like the idea of doing a small part to help the early game to be more fun for new players. Plus the Sarg FC doesn't appear to have any low level players running the story (or if there are any, you need to speak up more!)

I know the roulette will ease some of these issues in 2.1, but honestly, doing a story Primal is super fast, and often you're saving people from some frustration.

Tash

Am I the only one that likes to queue up to a bunch of low level story dungeons as a healer at the end of the night? If I select enough one will typically pop instantly (so I don't feel like I'm taking the spot of a healer who needs the run). They are usually easy, and I like the idea of doing a small part to help the early game to be more fun for new players. Plus the Sarg FC doesn't appear to have any low level players running the story (or if there are any, you need to speak up more!)

I know the roulette will ease some of these issues in 2.1, but honestly, doing a story Primal is super fast, and often you're saving people from some frustration.

No, I love doing that too. Even joining Titan a lot to try to help. Unfortunately there it's more of a DPS problem which I can't really help much with :/

No, I love doing that too. Even joining Titan a lot to try to help. Unfortunately there it's more of a DPS problem which I can't really help much with :/

One nice thing about going in as a scholar is my fairy can pretty much handle all the healing and I can just go cleric stance and dps away.

J-Rod

Are the new primal battles a quest line to upgrade your relic, or a different weapon better than a relic? I haven't seen anything that explicitly says that, but I've read there is a weapon reward at the end of the extreme mode battles, and it would seem strange if the reward is lesser than what is the reward for the hard mode primals.

Are the new primal battles a quest line to upgrade your relic, or a different weapon better than a relic? I haven't seen anything that explicitly says that, but I've read there is a weapon reward at the end of the extreme mode battles, and it would seem strange if the reward is lesser than what is the reward for the hard mode primals.

I believe the extreme weapon drops are i90, so they will be equivalent with the relic + 1, but different stat arrangements, so you might get more Crit on one, and Determination on the other, etc.

Hello!
It's nice to be back. I took like a month hiatus (only occasionally coming on just to check things) but now I'm on my way to finally get my first job to 50 and finish the story. I'm maining WAR and am looking forward to the new changes in 2.1. Going to level SMN and MNK next I think. I can't wait until Feb. when the PS4 beta starts. I'll gladly help any new people with dungeon runs if they need a tank!

kierwynn

Pretty sure you have to advance the main story to a certain point before you can change to other jobs. Have you taken the airship to the other cities yet? I believe that's the point at which it will let you pick up new classes.

No, pretty sure you don't have to get that far in order to change classes. I think you just need to be level 10 and finish your class quests up to that point.

studyguy

Coil today, common tank drops
/p Praise Tanaka!
<se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6><se.6>

No, pretty sure you don't have to get that far in order to change classes. I think you just need to be level 10 and finish your class quests up to that point.

Correct. You just need to have completed your lv 10 class quest and you should be granted the ability to join other guilds and learn other classes.

Wilsongt

I did Aurum Vale last night with a couple of gaffers and a random tank.

Never. Again.

I will never step foot into that hellish place again.

Shouta

Yeah, it makes using SCH over my WHM pretty OP :p
In general I find SCH more relaxing to play than WHM.

Downside is that you can't heal a lot of HP quickly. 2 SCH Titan can be really tough on that front.

Anyway, got off my ass and finished my SCH Relic this weekend. Gave me a pretty solid boost to me Adloquiam (about 50 HP average) and got my +1 Monk pants from Myth tomes. Now I'm quite yellow, lol.

creid

Another dumb noob question, does chatting in the "say" box instantly go to your FC or is there a special command? I thought I was replying to a couple of convos but then realized I was probably just talking to myself..
I believe Say just talks to people standing around you. You want to click on the speech bubble to the left of the text box and click "Free Company" to talk to your FC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom