• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

now that i know the lyrics, I finally feel like I'm ready for Titan HM

other than not being geared

or having it unlocked

or tackling any of the other primals

Kronotech

So as a PLD, I've only been pumping points into VIT. What about materia though? Should I be attaching VIT materia only as well to my gear? Or should I switch it up with Skill Speed, STR, and the like?

chrono01

Assuming you can immediately run it, that is. We don't yet know how much story quest there is between EX Titan and where we're at. Plus there's EX Garuda, which seems to come first.
My Coil group has it planned to run all three, so we'll see how things go. :)

As for the pre-requisites, I believe to unlock the first [EX Garuda] all you need is to have cleared HM Titan. It was posted in one of the Square-Enix updates.

Ken

So as a PLD, I've only been pumping points into VIT. What about materia though? Should I be attaching VIT materia only as well to my gear? Or should I switch it up with Skill Speed, STR, and the like?

Attach VIT if you can, but other worthwhile stats are Accuracy, Parry, Determination, and Strength.

Tash

Can someone explain the difference between scholar and white mage to me.

In short:

White Mage is a reactive healer. Shorter to Long casting big heals to patch up damage already happened. Including CD to increase the raw healing power. Very strong AoE Healer. Due to the Direct Healing approach you have to keep your enmity/aggro in check a whole lot and you can't just spam your heals. Limited MP recovery tool. Has holy, currently one of the best AoE in the game with stun effect. Super high enmity and MP cost though. Great for AoE focused spead runs.

SCH is a pro-active healer. You need to know and read the fights well. Has heals with shield mechanic and mitigation focused gameplay. Heals act as direct heals (weaker then WHMS) but also put up a mitigation shield for the amount healed (on crit double the healed damage). They also have two pets they can summone to increase heal througput in single target heals (EOS) or buff the party with skill and spell speed (Selene). They also have a lot of additional tools to deal with situations (a lot are based on reducing incoming damage). Much less issues with enmity and MP. It's also much easier for a SCH to help with dps. The fairy gets really powerful both if you go back to low level dungeons or if you outgear lvl 50 dungeons. She can basically solo heal while you do additional DPS.

WHMs are much easier to play since it's basically reacting to damage. You still need to manage your CDs accordingly for hard encounters. This is mostly do deal with enmity and MP issues though.

SCHs are harder to play since you have a lot more tools to manage and make sure you pick the right ones in the right situation. That also includes managing your fairy.

Leveling up, SCH gets the skill to remove debuffs and detrimental effects very late. However the shields and healing mechanics make it so you can heal through, ie. poison and don't really need it during the time you don't have it.

Even though once you are used to one job or another both are fun and cool to play.

Generally, due to current end game encounters SCH are considered more powerful (due to mitigation focus and a lot of end game bosses can RNG and crit/one shot a tank without a WHM being able to do much against it).

I personally still think SCH/WHM combo causes the least headaches in current "raid" content.

I don't like being LTTP for this kind of game, the last MMO I played was Lineage 2 and I was waiting for the PS4 version... but I've seen the PS3 version for only £8 on Amazon, should I bite? Is there GAF people playing on PS3 at all? :(

Would I get 1 month of play time for the PS3 version and another month for the PS4 version when that one comes out or is it 1 month shared between both?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I don't like being LTTP for this kind of game, the last MMO I played was Lineage 2 and I was waiting for the PS4 version... but I've seen the PS3 version for only £8 on Amazon, should I bite? Is there GAF people playing on PS3 at all? :(

Would I get 1 month of play time for the PS3 version and another month for the PS4 version when that one comes out or is it 1 month shared between both?

The PS3 and PC (and eventually the PS4) play on the same servers, and yeah, there's a huge GAF FC on the Ultros server.

And the one month would be shared between both. It's attached to your Square-Enix account, not your system.

Ken

Akihiko Yoshida also sketched a picture with a message to everyone. :D

I wanted to try this (also because FC is super dead tonight).

iildlQ9IjkWGE.png

The PS3 and PC (and eventually the PS4) play on the same servers, and yeah, there's a huge GAF FC on the Ultros server.

And the one month would be shared between both. It's attached to your Square-Enix account, not your system.

Ahhh, I had forgotten about the servers being the same, very nice.

Considering my birthday is next week I think I will try to get this, enjoy it for a month on PS3 and then wait until April (oh god) to continue playing on PS4.

How hard can it be to start from scratch now? I hope not too much >< Thanks a lot for the quick answer btw :)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ahhh, I had forgotten about the servers being the same, very nice.

Considering my birthday is next week I think I will try to get this, enjoy it for a month on PS3 and then wait until April (oh god) to continue playing on PS4.

How hard can it be to start from scratch now? I hope not too much >< Thanks a lot for the quick answer btw :)

I (and many others) just started from scratch last week, since the game was $10 on PS+. It's not hard getting started at all.

I (and many others) just started from scratch last week, since the game was $10 on PS+. It's not hard getting started at all.

Awesome, really looking forward to it now.

I actually played the betas on PC and PS3 but couldn't really play for more than 3-4 hours, watching streams lately has reignited my want for the game (and the cheaper price).

Torquill

I'm tired of not being able to level because there are no people doing FATEs. So we're even? Go try it and report back.
Legitimate, but slightly hyperbolic perhaps? People considering the game, don't read this and think you can't level.

Sure, dungeons is still way slower than FATES for a few more days, but still faster than many historical MMOs. You can level, you're just holding out for 2.1 :p.

edgefusion

Uuuuh yeah, you get plenty of dungeon xp. It's just faster doing FATEs. I do 90% of my levelling in dungeons and don't feel like I'm making slow progress. Plus you actually learn how to play your class so you don't end up in Wanderers Palace asking, "How do am tank? What emnanninty?"

J-Rod

I've had that glitch where duplicates of players appeared. I was in a low level dungeon and there were doppelgängers of the whole party besides for me. They sat there motionless. The weird thing was that I could only target and cast spells on the copies, so the rest of the party progressed to other parts of the dungeon while I stayed back and healed their creepy mannequins.

Ploid 3.0

Uuuuh yeah, you get plenty of dungeon xp. It's just faster doing FATEs. I do 90% of my levelling in dungeons and don't feel like I'm making slow progress. Plus you actually learn how to play your class so you don't end up in Wanderers Palace asking, "How do am tank? What emnanninty?"

I would love to do normal FFXI parties but the problem with dungeons is you wait for way too long usually. I wish people killed mobs in the world ffxi style. The problem is that mobs in the world don't even go past 50 or maybe 49(?). Also you can solo mobs that would be a Very Tough rating on any class.

The exp from the chains don't seem to be as potent as ffxi's. About the same exp 300-500 but compared to ffxi you need so much more exp to level up. In FFXI you need 42k (iirc) to go from 74-75, in FFXIV 530k to go from 49-50. grinding mobs between fates in that final fate zone with the Kimera is good but if that's all you did it would be horrible. I leveled my thief from 73 - 75 just by farming endgame events. You used your abilities in ffxi exp a ton, you learned as soon or before you got them (oh dang, next level I get utsu ni, and I can start tanking solo - Nin/war). In ffxiv I constantly get surprised with abilities I missed because I didn't do the class quests until I was ready to unlock the job, and even then I probably won't use them because of zerg.

I wish I loved doing dungeons. I'm resubbing and will force feed myself dungeons to get the story missions completely done in order to unlock endgame, then do more dungeons because it's endgame. I believe this game will be amazing in 2014 sometime as they polish the world outside of dungeons.

Luigi87

Finally at the quest to run Sastasha (but no time to do so at the moment >_<), so doing some crafting and I think...
god I can't wait until I can do this on my Vita o_o

Edit: Also only just realized now that I have bonus attribute points that I've not yet spent.

Aeana

Legitimate, but slightly hyperbolic perhaps? People considering the game, don't read this and think you can't level.

Sure, dungeons is still way slower than FATES for a few more days, but still faster than many historical MMOs. You can level, you're just holding out for 2.1 :p.

But people who were just thinking about getting into the game wouldn't have an issue with it to start with, because you can quest all the way up on your first job.

And no, I am not holding out for 2.1. I very much wanted to get paladin to 50 before 2.1, so I could take it into Crystal Tower right away. Several times this week I've gone looking for FATE groups around level 30 and found none.

studyguy

That Dredknight dying while stunned and someone getting stuck in stun is annoying as hell. Oh well. Not looking forward to having to cap 450 myth in the coming weeks.

So if I want to be able to attach Materia, what's the most worthwhile crafting job to level to do the required quest?

You can only meld materia to items you are able to craft, so level up the job that makes the items you want to attach materia to. For example, if you are a bard and want to attach materia to your bow, level up carpenter.

Valus

So if I want to be able to attach Materia, what's the most worthwhile crafting job to level to do the required quest?

Depends on your class. Basically whatever makes your gear can attach materia to that gear.

DRG/ARC -> LTW/CRP
WAR -> BSM/ARM
WHM -> WVR/ACH

Etc. Hope that makes sense.

So I picked this up in the PSN sale, since I had $30 credit from Sony anyway. Is there any basic advice I should know about when forming my character and starting out? This'll be my first MMO, though I'm mostly interested in the story.

HBroward

That Dredknight dying while stunned and someone getting stuck in stun is annoying as hell. Oh well. Not looking forward to having to cap 450 myth in the coming weeks.

Yeah that happened a few times to us. I think it can only happen if the dps is a bit slow, not sure though, I'm just a healer, the dread knight only gets a stone 1 from me to add the heavy effect.

studyguy

Yeah that happened a few times to us. I think it can only happen if the dps is a bit slow, not sure though, I'm just a healer, the dread knight only gets a stone 1 from me to add the heavy effect.

The problem in that case was the twister hit between the second and last stun.
Having to walk away then doing a bash immediately before it dying is a pain.
If the Dred is stunned, the bind sticks and it's like welp thanks game. Would be more interesting if fluid aura or something else affected dreds, but whatev.

HBroward

The problem in that case was the twister hit between the second and last stun.
Having to walk away then doing a bash immediately before it dying is a pain.
If the Dred is stunned, the bind sticks and it's like welp thanks game. Would be more interesting if fluid aura or something else affected dreds, but whatev.

Yeah I was sad they were unaffected by fluid aura, there are so few places a WHM can actually use that effectively. Off the top of my head I can only think of the slime boss in WP, and you don't even need to use it there.

Teknoman

Into the dark of an endless night
Where the pulse of the land offers no respite

In spite of the blood that was spilled before
You whet your blades, you thirst for more

Now kneel overdweller, your lord commands
There's no salvation for the sons of man

Limsa really shouldn't have violated that Kobold peace treaty.

studyguy

Limsa really shouldn't have violated that Kobold peace treaty.

Doesn't really help that during 1.0, all the beastmen tribes were encroaching on the agreed boundaries either. Dalamud threw all that to the wind considering everyone was looking to save themselves in the end by any means necessary.

Wilsongt

I did some FATE farming in Costa and ran Haukke last night to hit Lv 30 CNJ and unlocked White Mage. <3

Haukke went a LOT better than it did the first time I ran it. No wiped on the final boss or deaths. We got close, but I've got some quick fingers as a healer. Got a couple of upgrades, also.

Valus

Ah OK. So playing mainly PLD or Warrior either Armorer or Blacksmith then.

Yup yup. Blacksmith makes the weapons for WAR/PLD and Armorer makes their armor. So you'll need both if you want to apply materia to all your gear. GSM is needed for accessories if you plan on going all out.

So I picked this up in the PSN sale, since I had $30 credit from Sony anyway. Is there any basic advice I should know about when forming my character and starting out? This'll be my first MMO, though I'm mostly interested in the story.

I seem to recall chickdigger didn't like it much, but good luck to you. The world of MMOs is quite different from single player RPGs.

Aeana

I'm on Ultros, but how do I go about getting an invite to the Free Company? (Character - Rei Sadan)

Let me know when you're on and I'll invite you. Or check any of the other officers

Maple Cookie
Strawberry Shortcake
Safflower Amariyo
Xarielle Randgris
Tiv Einsfell (me)
Guy Incognito
Mira Mora
Elliott Kirkland
Renault Cathetel
Remiel Cathetel

Send a tell to any of these people.

Shouta

I would love to do normal FFXI parties but the problem with dungeons is you wait for way too long usually. I wish people killed mobs in the world ffxi style. The problem is that mobs in the world don't even go past 50 or maybe 49(?). Also you can solo mobs that would be a Very Tough rating on any class.

The exp from the chains don't seem to be as potent as ffxi's. About the same exp 300-500 but compared to ffxi you need so much more exp to level up. In FFXI you need 42k (iirc) to go from 74-75, in FFXIV 530k to go from 49-50. grinding mobs between fates in that final fate zone with the Kimera is good but if that's all you did it would be horrible. I leveled my thief from 73 - 75 just by farming endgame events. You used your abilities in ffxi exp a ton, you learned as soon or before you got them (oh dang, next level I get utsu ni, and I can start tanking solo - Nin/war). In ffxiv I constantly get surprised with abilities I missed because I didn't do the class quests until I was ready to unlock the job, and even then I probably won't use them because of zerg.

I wish I loved doing dungeons. I'm resubbing and will force feed myself dungeons to get the story missions completely done in order to unlock endgame, then do more dungeons because it's endgame. I believe this game will be amazing in 2014 sometime as they polish the world outside of dungeons.

Leveling in the field isn't bad when combined with some Fates. Hoga and I did some for SMN/BLM because we didn't want to do fates. The problem is that there needs to be higher density mob zones, IMO. maybe up the XP per kill a bit too. Beastmen strong-holds are pretty good for this in the later levels.

dark_chris

The Developer's Blog posted the lyrics for the Titan fight (final phase) if anyone was curious as to what the lyrics were.

http://sqex.to/AcZ

Under the Weight

Wrought from the rock that stands upon old
With heart of black and a stare that's cold
Cold are the hands that grasp at your soul
'Fore the graves are dug and the death knells toll
Tempered in the flows of the mountain's core
Where the rage runs red twixt shore and shore
Shorn from the world 'neath the blazing sun
Bound to the dark, for the light I shun
Bow down overdweller (under the weight)
Bow down overdweller (in hell I wait)
Succumb to the hate that corrupts your fate
The skies will tremble and the earth will quake
From the crumbling walls no one escapes
Bow down overdweller (in hell I wait)
I'll drag you right down to the seventh gate

teiresias

Yup yup. Blacksmith makes the weapons for WAR/PLD and Armorer makes their armor. So you'll need both if you want to apply materia to all your gear. GSM is needed for accessories if you plan on going all out.

I'll probably go all out because, as I've said for a while, I suck at the game in combat with a gamepad, so the PS4 version is pretty much going to be exclusively reserved for casual questing (if there ever is such a thing introduced again) and for leveling crafting and gathering classes - so I need something to do with that version of the game, haha!! I'll stick to PC and my KB/M setup for raiding and doing major story event dungeons in the future.

Tabris

So I completed my first dungeon and my first party experience. It went well, completed it, and only touchy part was when no one realized a bunch of mobs would spawn against the boss unless you clicked on the bubble mechanisms.

Man, tanks have to do a lot of shit in the party mechanics vs what we did in FF11. I didn't realize they needed tank to pull, so I need to make a macro with marking, party chat I'm pulling mob, and then shield lob. Also it's very mob tanking focused also, which I was able to handle with flash but I assume I need to do other actions on the other mobs to keep their attention when I'm being cure bombed in later runs.

Any other recommendations?

I'm now 20 GLA, 14 CNJ, 12 PUG, 12 MAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom