• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zidy

Finally catching up in terms of gear. Just got my WAR relic yesterday. Question: As Warrior, should I get my AF2 chest piece or my Relic +1 first. I have around 675 myth right now and should be able to afford either next week.

dcye

Finally catching up in terms of gear. Just got my WAR relic yesterday. Question: As Warrior, should I get my AF2 chest piece or my Relic +1 first. I have around 675 myth right now and should be able to afford either next week.

I'm pretty sure AF2 Chest+Head is the best route, also looks a hell of a lot better than the tin can DL set. Don't take my word as gospel though.

So what do people do with lower level materia? I melded some of my earlier stuff with level 2 materia, But now i've got some others stocked. I guess I could save it for leveling a second job...
Spiritbinding is faster when you have a materia attached, so most people save those useless or weak materia to meld into ilv49/55 gear and get lv3/4 materias faster.

I'm pretty sure AF2 Chest+Head is the best route, also looks a hell of a lot better than the tin can DL set. Don't take my word as gospel though.

yes, this is the better route. better stats on both your chest+helmet over upgrade on relic. plus you will actually look presentable now. you can decide what's more important after that.

dcye

A few issues regarding loot and the UI are going to be ironed out in the next two patches. Better tooltip comparisons + more armory space. :D

Armory space will be a godsend, having gotten all of the combat and gathering classes to at least a decent level (15 at the least) I have so much freaking crap in there.

Wilsongt

Armory space will be a godsend, having gotten all of the combat and gathering classes to at least a decent level (15 at the least) I have so much freaking crap in there.

Pretty much. Plus, my job levels are all over the place, so I am weary about converting/selling old gear because I am not sure if another job has it equipped/can use it.

edgefusion

It would be nice if there was just a notification to say, "this item is in use by the following classes..." so I'd stop selling pants I need.

studyguy

Servers shit themselves like 2 hour before the shutdown last night.
Holy crap, was doing content when suddenly things jumped from a lag spike and I was alone fighting a boss with everyone D/C'd.

Thanks SE.

Luigi87

So GW2, which I still play, is the only other MMO I've ever really put a LOT of time into. It is well known how it has no trinity, which works well for its open world dynamic content.

However after running the one dungeon I did yesterday in this I realize the allure of the trinity. I felt like I had an actual reason to participate as a party member, where in GW2 it was more or less that I was there, and the point of dungeons is just DPs enemies, and dodge. It is less team oriented and more a numbers game about simply overwhelming enemies, and thus this is refreshing for me.

Reknoc

So GW2, which I still play, is the only other MMO I've ever really put a LOT of time into. It is well known how it has no trinity, which works well for its open world dynamic content.

However after running the one dungeon I did yesterday in this I realize the allure of the trinity. I felt like I had an actual reason to participate as a party member, where in GW2 it was more or less that I was there, and the point of dungeons is just DPs enemies, and dodge. It is less team oriented and more a numbers game about simply overwhelming enemies, and thus this is refreshing for me.

Yea same. I did few dungeons on GW2, and didn't really like them at all.

Sophia

You're going to love this game if you felt that way only off one dungeon. Group play gets stronger and stronger, and it's only going to get better with triple dungeon XP and the MVP system.

studyguy

The break from the trinity seems absolutely fantastic on paper and I'm sure one day we'll get a game that really gets the idea to work. GW2 unfortunately flat out failed in that regard to the point that made me wish we had more hardline roles instead of being zergfests. GW2 does a lot of things great, but moving away from the trinity was a weird decision for how they treated roles.

Einhander

God yes. I finally defeated the Sunken Temple boss. It was a bitch and a half the first time around, but I managed to kill it with a party on the first try.

I made it to PLD 40 last night.

Oh, and regarding good Fate spots, Costa del Sol takes the cake. It's very efficient to Fate-grind there.

Wilsongt

God yes. I finally defeated the Sunken Temple boss. It was a bitch and a half the first time around, but I managed to kill it with a party on the first try.

I made it to PLD 40 last night.

Oh, and regarding good Fate spots, Costa del Sol takes the cake. It's very efficient to Fate-grind there.

Qarn's boss was a bitch. I failed it my first time through, but I had an amazing and enthusiastic party my second time and we beat it.

Dinged Lv 50 GSM last night and started outfitting myself in some gear.

Now I need to go cluster harvesting, so got to get Miner up to 50. =/ Now to grind out weaver.

Repeating what everyone else said, Bravura+1 is low on the totem pole unless you reaaaalllllyyyy can't hold aggro for some reason.

Grab the AF+1 body and head (Warrior's Cuirass and Burgeonet) first, then look into other stuff. Also, strongly consider HQ Gryphonskin accessories if they aren't way out of your budget; they're pretty much best in slot for WAR and PLD because even though you get a bit more VIT from Hero's and Allagan, you get a ton of STR (more damage and threat), Accuracy (don't whiff in Coil), DEX (increased parry rate) and Skill Speed on top of the VIT and Parry when melded.

EDIT: Also a PSA for those in the thread that don't know. In Qarn on the first boss, any ranged class (including healers) can stand on the stone pillar sticking out of the big dirt mound on the left side of the room and the boss' AOE Doom attack will whiff, meaning you can remain stationary the entire fight. Works the same as the Chimera fight for A Relic Reborn.

studyguy

Repeating what everyone else said, Bravura+1 is low on the totem pole unless you reaaaalllllyyyy can't hold aggro for some reason.

Grab the AF+1 body and head (Warrior's Cuirass and Burgeonet) first, then look into other stuff. Also, strongly consider HQ Gryphonskin accessories if they aren't way out of your budget; they're pretty much best in slot for WAR and PLD because even though you get a bit more VIT from Hero's and Allagan, you get a ton of STR (more damage and threat), Accuracy (don't whiff in Coil), DEX (increased parry rate) and Skill Speed on top of the VIT and Parry when melded.

EDIT: Also a PSA for those in the thread that don't know. In Qarn on the first boss, any ranged class (including healers) can stand on the stone pillar sticking out of the big dirt mound on the left side of the room and the boss' AOE Doom attack will whiff, meaning you can remain stationary the entire fight. Works the same as the Chimera fight for A Relic Reborn.

I'd honestly be hesitant in recommending gryphonskin right off the bat to people who can't really afford it at the moment with Crystal Tower coming into play soon. Granted, it obviously won't be better, but for the average player who can't drop a dime on the 2stars and doesn't have enough myth or allagan, if they get CT accessories, it might hold them over. Moreover once the patch drops, you can basically get a myth accessory every week. Crazy stuff.

Really excited to see what they patch in crafting wise.

I'd honestly be hesitant in recommending gryphonskin right off the bat to people who can't really afford it at the moment with Crystal Tower coming into play soon. Granted, it obviously won't be better, but for the average player who can't drop a dime on the 2stars and doesn't have enough myth or allagan, if they get CT accessories, it might hold them over. Moreover once the patch drops, you can basically get a myth accessory every week. Crazy stuff.

Really excited to see what they patch in crafting wise.

Yeah that's why I said "if" they aren't out of someone's budget. XD

But they really do own the Hero's and Allagan when melded. The small loss of HP is more than enough in exchange for getting basically a DPS and tank accessory in one, especially on WAR where it's a bit tricky to set them up for the accuracy cap for Twintania.

I kinda hate the way the market board works. =/ I only need one iron ingot, dammit, not 99 of them.

That's the difference between some of the better crafters and everyone else. They will sell at slightly marked up prices for a lower quantity of items. Buyer gets somewhat of a deal and a more reasonable number of the item they want while the seller still gets their money but at a slower pace. With the constant undercutting though, it's not a consistent practice these days. Impatience and general ignorance is running the current Marketboard.

WolvenOne

Bah.

I ordered two PC copies of this game off Square's store, when they were going for 15USD a pop. They sent me two PS3 copies instead. Darn you Digital River, how the heck can you screw up something so basic!?!?! Also, I did check, and I did indeed order the PC version, according to the packing slip and my order confirmation.

So now, not only am I going to have to set up an exchange, I'm going to have to try begging expedited shipping, if I want to have these items in time for Christmas.

Dangit Digital Riveeeeeer!!!!!

studyguy

Yeah that's why I said "if" they aren't out of someone's budget. XD

But they really do own the Hero's and Allagan when melded. The small loss of HP is more than enough in exchange for getting basically a DPS and tank accessory in one, especially on WAR where it's a bit tricky to set them up for the accuracy cap for Twintania.

Honestly once you hit ACC cap and like 6.5K health, the sky's the limit for Twin concerning your build on PLD. I have no idea how much health a WAR needs to even attempt, but the OT job isn't super concerned with taking hits so they get a lot more leeway.

J-Rod

So what do people do with lower level materia? I melded some of my earlier stuff with level 2 materia, But now i've got some others stocked. I guess I could save it for leveling a second job...

Hang on to that materia. The lower level stuff is important for over melding. You probably already know, but that's when you meld more materia than the gear has slots. Each piece of gear has a limit of how much of a particular stat can be added. A lot of people start out with a level IV materia in the first slot, maxing out the particular stat the gear has the capacity for, then use the lower level materia for slots 3, 4, & 5. Two reasons they do this, because they may be close to maxing out the stat and only need 1-2 points to cap it, and because failure rates go up for the extra slots and you would go broke trying to fill those later slots with expensive materia.

BTW the loot system in this game is FANTASTIC.

Wait until you see things just disappear from people passing them without thinking instead of just dropping back into chests.

Bah.

I ordered two PC copies of this game off Square's store, when they were going for 15USD a pop. They sent me two PS3 copies instead. Darn you Digital River, how the heck can you screw up something so basic!?!?! Also, I did check, and I did indeed order the PC version, according to the packing slip and my order confirmation.

So now, not only am I going to have to set up an exchange, I'm going to have to try begging expedited shipping, if I want to have these items in time for Christmas.

Dangit Digital Riveeeeeer!!!!!

Digital River. Not even once.

aceface

Going away for the weekend, so won't be able to log on again until the 2.1 utopia, onwards to glory friends! Get T5 done before the patch GAF FC!

WolvenOne

Aaaaaand waiting for customer service to email me back. Very frustrating, can't remember the last time I've had to get into a waiting list for help. :p

yaffi

Started a new character on Ultros. Not sure yet if I should transfer with my main.

Would that cause any trouble if I were to apply to get into GAF (having to set up two accounts on the site or something like that)?

edgefusion

Me and Mael Almaceda causing explosions in Mor Dhona. :)

1507238_10152035044143726_1065759181_o_zpsea80d74b.jpg

WolvenOne

On a slightly cheerier note. Last night was a very fun little night, despite the server issues.

I finally ran that little hide and go seek contest, and despite only having one participant I had a lot of fun with it. I think I found a good little spot for hiding, given that it took nearly an hour for said participating Gaffer to find me. Also, once I finished hiding, I immediately found a break that allowed me to get into a previously inaccessible area. Would be an even better hiding spot if I wanted to totally troll people, but that wouldn't be nice. XD

Finally, around the same time the servers went poit, Behemoth came up. We were already in a light party, so we immediately ported over, added players as we ran over, and ended up getting gold on both parts of the Fate. Our two Healers didn't get any Behemoth horns though, which is weird, and sad.

Oh poor Dalisay! As if gaming on your toaster wasn't punishment enough!

Not helpful at this point. XD

Using Digital River isn't normal. But on meth it is.

Well the Need vs Greed system is amazing though.

Ah yeah. It's just been done better in most modern mmos, such as things not needed or greeded just returning to whatever dropped it to be picked up at will if everyone passes. Not trying to insult, but is your only history with the genre FFXI? I would envy that. Being able to fully enjoy this game and not constancy comparing it to it's contemporaries.

Tabris

Correct. I spent over 150+ days worth of playtime into FFXI and swore I would never play an MMO again. When I found out this game is very solo friendly or quick hour or 2 hour events is when I took a break from that promise.

1-2 hours was considered a waste of time in a party in FFXI and it was more like 3+ hours required every time (not including the waiting time looking for a party.

Mupod

Lot of people recommending chest/head, but I'd say legs/feet are better. The head is pretty bad in terms of the stats on it (skill speed whyyy), but I suppose the only other i90 helmet is from turn 5 so I guess I'll end up using it at some point.

The main problem I've encountered while gearing warrior is a horrible lack of accuracy on the gear, Bravura in particular has none. I'm 99% certain the new extreme primal axe will be much much better than Bravura so I'm waiting to find out for sure before spending any tomes.

Crystal tower will almost certainly help with the accuracy issues, iirc the datamined stats from the benchmark months ago showed accuracy on the war/pld helm. Either way, definitely don't make gryphonskin stuff until next patch since apparently they will cost 9 tome items instead of 18. Dex doesn't do much but I do like the extra str on mine, so I'll probably keep them around even after I've upgraded to i90 stuff...although the allagan ring sucks. Myth tome ring is really nice though, probably a safe bet to buy one of those at any point.

WolvenOne

Lot of people recommending chest/head, but I'd say legs/feet are better. The head is pretty bad in terms of the stats on it (skill speed whyyy), but I suppose the only other i90 helmet is from turn 5 so I guess I'll end up using it at some point.

The main problem I've encountered while gearing warrior is a horrible lack of accuracy on the gear, Bravura in particular has none. I'm 99% certain the new extreme primal axe will be much much better than Bravura so I'm waiting to find out for sure before spending any tomes.

AF2 WAR doesn't have any significant problem with lack of accuracy. There are decent stat boosts on roughly half the WAR AF2 set pieces. So unless you're combining no-boost AF2 Parts, with no-boost Allagan parts, you'll be fine.

*Context*

I unfortunately have a lower body combination of lvl90 Gear, that misses the ACC Boosts entirely. Despite all that, I can go all the way to T4, and still not see a significant number of Misses. I mean there's been a few here and there, but not enough for it to significantly impact my Aggro of DPS numbers. I expect this problem to disappear once I replace my Allagan Boots with AF2 War boots, which do have an ACC boost. In the meantime, it's such a subtle shortcoming, that I can ignore it.

desu

Also, strongly consider HQ Gryphonskin accessories if they aren't way out of your budget; they're pretty much best in slot for WAR and PLD because even though you get a bit more VIT from Hero's and Allagan, you get a ton of STR (more damage and threat), Accuracy (don't whiff in Coil), DEX (increased parry rate) and Skill Speed on top of the VIT and Parry when melded.

Imho, if you have the funds and you play more than one job (possibly multiple) then the Grpyhonskin Accs are totally awesome. They have stats that are useful/above darklight, save inventory space and are probably enough/help to beat Twintania. I got a full set and I use them on BRD/DRG/MNK/PLD/WAR with melded extra Crit/Vit/SkillSpeed.

Luigi87

And now I'm running Tam-Tara with a pug...
Holy crap this is a nightmare. A tank and a healer that seem to be trying to play like they're DPS, so the tank is never holding aggro, and the heals... aren't.

Edit: And we gave up. ... I just... I don't even

Aeana

Do we have a list of people trying to get into coil on Ultros? If not we really should.

There is a thread in the forum on the FC site, but I don't think it's been kept up to date. Probably would be a good idea to just encourage people to update it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom