• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferr986

They definitely should increase it, its too slow as it is now, that's why some of us alternate between AF2 and allagan drops... you should do the same if you get an spot as DRG in AV's 1st set party or in a new set :p

lol didnt know you're here too!

Yeah I should start looking for a Coil set, but some of you guys play till too late at night!

Next week I have some days off work so I'll look into it (either getting on a established set or create a new one).

Anyways, being a replace in a SET for when a DD cant assist should be more than enough for me, I dont really need to go all hardcore in endgame raiding like in the FFXI days. Problem is the lack of experience in the fights :/

Lain

Did a couple runs of Brayflox with my character on Siren yesterday, which is a 36 Monk, and managed to nab the body and legs of the Infantry set, plus a weapon.
That aside, I've had a couple interesting parties and I wanted to share the experience.

One of the parties had a WAR tank that didn't know how to tank. I only know a little bit about Marauders and only up to like, level 15, but the WHM in the party seemed to know some about them, so he told the WAR to keep Defiance on and certain things. The WAR didn't really listen too much, Defiance wasn't on for example during the first boss, so agro was all over the place, and with the other fights on trash, despite the WHM sleeping, marking and trying to help as much as possible, he'd end up tanking most of the time. The party though wasn't too bad, at least until the last boss, which we already knew would suck and had laughed about it. I ended up tanking a bit during the fight and after the WAR died, I was tanking full time. It was even going well, until I didn't dodge a breath I thought I had dodged, and that lead to a wipe.
At this point, we tried another time with the WAR tanking, but it led to a quick wipe and so the WHM suggested we do it with me tanking, which seemed to work at first, but naturally at some point during the fight, even dodging breaths really well, I'd lose aggro.
The WAR even stopped coming into the boss fight (for a couple attempts he was sitting at the zone in), as the WHM described him useless, though for the last fight he, the WAR, actually spoke. He said he was on PS3, and that typing was really difficult. He said that as he was at the entrance of the boss chamber, so I told him "dodge the breaths, move the boss out of poisons pools and try to keep Defiance always on" (remembering what the WHM told him earlier) while the WHM was a little annoyed as he told him that he had tried giving him suggestions and tips through the whole instance while being completely ignored.
Anyways, this time the WAR performs sorta well (his Defiance keeps coming and going) and we kill the boss.
On one hand this was a fun experience (it even dropped the Infantry top, which I won and the WHM said well deserved), on the other it felt rather weird. I don't think the WAR was a complete idiot and I think playing on PS3 or with a pad can be problematic for certain things, but it is kind of strange when you see people get into the 30 level range dungeons that don't use even the basic mechanics of their class, like pulling with a range skill (the WAR would use it only from time to time, preferring to body pull or standing around, which might have been to regain TP, but with no notice to the party it will look weird).

Another party had a WHM and Paladin that were new to the instance, so I took it on myself to explain to them every boss fight and the saving the goblin affair. The other DPS in the party explained the first boss, saying "sleep the boss and kill the adds". I was sure the boss couldn't be put to sleep, but I said nothing there because I remember someone in the past, one time, telling me the same thing, so hey, maybe it can be done. Sure enough the WHM had aggro from the boss and was about to die lol. We managed anyways and progressed on. I explained about the goblins and number of spawns, but at the first spawn of 3 mobs we had a half wipe because the tank died, though I managed to last long enough for the others to get back so e didn't miss the coffer.
Rest of the instance went smoothly until the last boss, where we wiped some because the tank didn't manage to dodge enough breaths, bringing the WHM oom. I tried to give him a tip about staying really close to the dragon, since you can stand like in him and still hit him, so he could dodge the breath by simply walking a little up, but it didn't seem like he completely understood that, so he started to just shield bash the breaths, which worked for a while, but it meant I generated so much more threat than him that at some point I'd end up taking hits, so I had to stop attacking.
We wiped 4 or 5 times, I'm not sure, but at some point the other DPS, a level 33 Archer dropped without saying a word. We got a replacement quick, a BLM and I reiterated to the WHM to only cure poison if it's at 2/3 stacks because 1/2 it doesn't do much damage and a simple cure is enough to keep us going, so she would have more mana for the whole fight (and this time she did have much more throughout the fight). The PLD seemed to have gotten the hang on dodging the breaths consistently and we managed to drop that poisonous bastard.
It felt good despite the wipes on the last boss, because there wasn't whining and beause it was cool seeing people learn the fights and making improvements, even trying out some of their own ideas to try and survive.
Oh, and the dragon dropped the Battlemage top, which the WHM won. Made me feel happy I admit, after all those wipes.

Ken

why is he turning defiance on and off lol

my cure 2 spamming esl whm from the other night

jbzbGqIlTEv3ss.png

Ken

Even with doing cure + freecures I was getting out of MP in Braytox. It's just a very big escalating for healers.

yes but using cure+freecure shouldn't put you out of mana as quickly as someone just spamming cure II on every little damage

Is there an easy way to kill the first boss at CC? We always just aoe and kill the adds til they stop spawning, had no problem with it but it seems like the other bosses are a lot easier relatively.

The easiest method is to have the healer keep regen up so that when the adds spawn, they immediately go for the healer. Let the healer kite the adds while the DPS ignores them all except for the Marshall. LB on the Marshall to take it out ASAP and then focus back on the boss.

Mendrox

Sub out since Monday. Keep thinking about the game. Don't know if I should wait for the patch. I love the neogaf FC. Is guy back? mont? Anybody? Do the Twins still play (they are my heroes because I killed Titan HM with them).

I don't know what to do. :'-(

Naar

I just tried to get a third retainer but they wouldnt allow me saying that I have 2 already. Is the maximum 2 retainers? If not, what do I have to do to get a 3rd?

KeRaSh

I just tried to get a third retainer but they wouldnt allow me saying that I have 2 already. Is the maximum 2 retainers? If not, what do I have to do to get a 3rd?

I think 2 is the current limit, according to GAF FC chat.

Macstorm

One of the parties had a WAR tank that didn't know how to tank. I only know a little bit about Marauders and only up to like, level 15, but the WHM in the party seemed to know some about them, so he told the WAR to keep Defiance on and certain things. The WAR didn't really listen too much, Defiance wasn't on for example during the first boss, so agro was all over the place, and with the other fights on trash, despite the WHM sleeping, marking and trying to help as much as possible, he'd end up tanking most of the time. The party though wasn't too bad, at least until the last boss, which we already knew would suck and had laughed about it. I ended up tanking a bit during the fight and after the WAR died, I was tanking full time. It was even going well, until I didn't dodge a breath I thought I had dodged, and that lead to a wipe.
At this point, we tried another time with the WAR tanking, but it led to a quick wipe and so the WHM suggested we do it with me tanking, which seemed to work at first, but naturally at some point during the fight, even dodging breaths really well, I'd lose aggro.
The WAR even stopped coming into the boss fight (for a couple attempts he was sitting at the zone in), as the WHM described him useless, though for the last fight he, the WAR, actually spoke. He said he was on PS3, and that typing was really difficult. He said that as he was at the entrance of the boss chamber, so I told him "dodge the breaths, move the boss out of poisons pools and try to keep Defiance always on" (remembering what the WHM told him earlier) while the WHM was a little annoyed as he told him that he had tried giving him suggestions and tips through the whole instance while being completely ignored.
Anyways, this time the WAR performs sorta well (his Defiance keeps coming and going) and we kill the boss.
On one hand this was a fun experience (it even dropped the Infantry top, which I won and the WHM said well deserved), on the other it felt rather weird. I don't think the WAR was a complete idiot and I think playing on PS3 or with a pad can be problematic for certain things, but it is kind of strange when you see people get into the 30 level range dungeons that don't use even the basic mechanics of their class, like pulling with a range skill (the WAR would use it only from time to time, preferring to body pull or standing around, which might have been to regain TP, but with no notice to the party it will look weird).

Yeah, that's just an awful player, not just an awful WAR. I play WAR on PS3 with a pad (though I do have a KB to chat with), and there is no reason other than pure clumsiness that Defiance should be going on and off. Can't speak to how the class handles endgame, but through the main storyline a WAR can handle everything just fine. It's just we hear stories about bad ones that make the class look bad. Sad, isn't it?

The lack of a true short CD taunt limits the kind of things they can do from a tanking perspective for the encounters in this game. No tank swaps or things of that nature. I haven't done coil but in the content I have done that other tank just seems to be a DD until adds come out or are on some task that while important is boring. The encounter design so far doesn't really make me want to rush out to level a tank or main one to be honest.

Provoke is on a 40s cooldown iirc. And like someone else said, Turn 2 requires a tank swap after getting stacks of a debuff on them. One tank gets 4 stacks of a damage increasing debuff, switch to other tank with Provoke, get 4 stacks, other tank Provokes back, etc.

Torquill

But that time you have to stay in the red?
No that would meant getting inside the red area, which would meant falling off ;). The shape of the red is irrelevant, circle, cone, rectangle, or in this case, ring. In all cases stay away!

...unless it's Zantetsuken. Then burn that mother fucker down!

Amon-Lau

I hate healing Brayflox, even though the dungeon can be pretty fun.

Darn debuffs...

Really? I love healing in Brayflox~ xD
After countless runs init I've been able to keep my mp from never going down past the halfpoint, unless I'm doing it with a reckless DF tank in which case he runs me dry... X_X

squall211

Has it been determined the best way to spend SP points on your chocobo? I'm really only interested in casting classes, so I have been putting all of my points into attacker abilities for my chocobo.

Tash

The other DPS in the party explained the first boss, saying "sleep the boss and kill the adds".

The only boss part that can be slept is the second (or is it third? Has been a while) one where the little dragon joins the fight against the main boss while chasing the goblin. You can sleep the main boss, kill the add chasing the goblin and then finish off the main boss :)

Effect

Has it been determined the best way to spend SP points on your chocobo? I'm really only interested in casting classes, so I have been putting all of my points into attacker abilities for my chocobo.

I went healing. The chocobo isn't going to keep the attention of the enemy with the amount of damage I'm dealing as a black mage. Nor would it be able to stay alive long enough if it did without something or someone healing him as wel since it won't dodge attacks. So I rather have regen cast on me and be healed. Even as a melee fight I would think the healer line would still be more effective.

Baliis

The only boss part that can be slept is the second (or is it third? Has been a while) one where the little dragon joins the fight against the main boss while chasing the goblin. You can sleep the main boss, kill the add chasing the goblin and then finish off the main boss :)

The first one can as well I believe, the big bird thing with adds right?

pitbull

Banned
They won't add Gil drops, because they don't want to pour money into the economy. MMO designers are always seeking ways to take currency out, not put it in.

There are dev posts saying they are increasing the gil flow. By way of dailys, random dungeon rewards, and "other" means.

Well I got my password problem figured out, so now I am wondering if there is a guide for returning 1.0 players somewhere who are completely lost. I have every job at 50 and yet I have no idea how to play any of them anymore haha.

I have 17m left over from 1.0, is that still a lot of money? What do I do with all this cracked materia?

17 million is a lot even on a legacy server. There is an npc to fix cracked materia.

Yeah, that's just an awful player, not just an awful WAR. I play WAR on PS3 with a pad (though I do have a KB to chat with), and there is no reason other than pure clumsiness that Defiance should be going on and off. Can't speak to how the class handles endgame, but through the main storyline a WAR can handle everything just fine. It's just we hear stories about bad ones that make the class look bad. Sad, isn't it?

Yeah, that has nothing to do with a gamepad or even the WAR class itself at that dungeon/level. It was just an amateur player (or a dope). I've done everything outside of Coil in this game with mine on a pad with no problem. People are just more likely to come across a WAR that doesn't know what he's doing than a PLD, which of course doesn't do much for the increasingly poor reputation of the job at large.

studyguy

Been smashing our faces against T4 with minimal success.
That gearcheck is rough, we get the Dread down to a sliver and have had the bugs just give him a pick me up and it's over.

Marceles

Only the chest has crit when the allagan doesn't. otherwise it's going to be crit/skill speed vs crit / determination and the latter is always better. only the waist, chest and two accessories are best in slot for drg from the myth vendor for armor.

Gonna have to get the chest and +1 eventually so unless you're the min maxing type whatever.

Thanks for the advice. Why wouldn't I want the Wyrm legs? And for the head: acc/det > crit/det? I guess the mobs start dodging more as the game progresses? It's starting to feel like FFXI in that regard where dexterity was important

ybNW11c.jpg

Really want to jump into this. Doing a lot of reading up on the account systems and how it all works.

Very tempted to get the PS3 version for $40 and then jump into the PS4 version for free. Seems like a cheap route even though I have a PC that can most likely play this. I'd rather my "final" version be on PS4 I'm thinking.

Isaccard

Really want to jump into this. Doing a lot of reading up on the account systems and how it all works.

Very tempted to get the PS3 version for $40 and then jump into the PS4 version for free. Seems like a cheap route even though I have a PC that can most likely play this. I'd rather my "final" version be on PS4 I'm thinking.

wat

People aren't tanks in FFXIV because I'm going to be honest, you're either playing EZmode PLD and bored to tears or you're playing original Halo Legendary difficulty WAR and it's literally impossible to be main tank once you reach a certain point in endgame.

Come on... this is the ultimate exaggeration. The only thing I haven't seen a Warrior MT yet is Turn 5, and no one has even beat that with a Paladin MT yet.

studyguy

Come on... this is the ultimate exaggeration. The only thing I haven't seen a Warrior MT yet is Turn 5, and no one has even beat that with a Paladin MT yet.

This has always been the narrative with SE though. They completely botch a tank for a while, come back with some fixes and botch the other. I fully expect a WAR change and in turn a PLD change. If 1.0 has taught us anything, it's that Yoshi isn't afraid to flip the shit on tanks. WARs dominated for ages and it was literally facerollcity to tank with them for ages then PLD picked up and finally at the end of 1.23 they sort of balanced.

ARR is clearly PLDtown right now, but I doubt that'll be the case despite the fact that he's saying WARs are fine. They said the same thing in 1.0 before they changed them.

Lain

It's completely insane that leeches isn't learned until level 40.

It is. Brayflox imho doesn't need all that much dispelling, though it helps, but I still don't feel like doing it as Scholar, unless going in with a full group.

Ps4 version I believe has keyboard and mouse suppport like actual pc version. So that may be best way if you're getting a ps4 anyway.

It's completely insane that leeches isn't learned until level 40.

Due to how learning skills is set up (one new job skill every 5 levels) I think 40 is as early as they could have gotten it outside of just putting Leeches on the Arcanist skill table (which I think they wanted to avoid because of summoner having access to it). Adloquium and Succor seem much more useful then Leeches in terms of which you would want to learn first.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
slow progress - but the mix of FF14 and MH4 is a potent mix for killing off the rest of gaming.

Mileena

Banned

PC

PS3 version is atrocious and you will likely get kicked from some speedruns for loading slow as shit.

It is. Brayflox imho doesn't need all that much dispelling, though it helps, but I still don't feel like doing it as Scholar, unless going in with a full group.

It wasn't too bad doing Brayflox as a SCH. I was able to complete it first time with a DF group. Granted, everyone was friendly, and the tank had experience, but it still wasn't too bad. I found the first boss of Aurum Vale to be way harder as SCH, with how fast the fairy dies.

Isaccard

TGS earrings being distributed on the 15th~

Transfers also starts on the 15th

3 million on hand, 1 mill per retainer cap, Ultros is crowded

I'm on my phone so no link

daveo42

Banned
Thanks for the advice. Why wouldn't I want the Wyrm legs? And for the head: acc/det > crit/det? I guess the mobs start dodging more as the game progresses? It's starting to feel like FFXI in that regard where dexterity was important

ybNW11c.jpg

Is there a similar breakout for whm? I'm interested in making these comparisons as well, even though I haven't started running coil yet. Good to know in advance how best to spend my myths.

aceface

PC

PS3 version is atrocious and you will likely get kicked from some speedruns for loading slow as shit.

I wouldn't say it's atrocious...it's playable. For the story content you'll be just fine. Grinding at endgame will become an issue as will the lag on hard mode bosses. If you plan on casually making your way through the game and dabbling in endgame, ps3 is fine. Hardcore MMO players fast forwarding to the endgame grind will want pc. Oh one other thing...if you are playing on PS3 get a keyboard!

raven777

ping is extremely important for end-game stuff, right?

I have been playing with 260~300 ping(playing US server from Asia), didn't really have too big of a problem until 50.

I heard ping is really important for end-game dungeons, especially Titan HM.

Has anyone with high ping tried these end-game stuff? How are they?

Aeana

Due to how learning skills is set up (one new job skill every 5 levels) I think 40 is as early as they could have gotten it outside of just putting Leeches on the Arcanist skill table (which I think they wanted to avoid because of summoner having access to it). Adloquium and Succor seem much more useful then Leeches in terms of which you would want to learn first.

They could teach more than one skill for one of the quests.

Lain

Did SE said they would allow the making of mods for the UI of the game, or am I misremembering? In case I'm not misremembering, someone remembers when, down the road, that's supposed to become possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom