• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khatoz

In all honesty, there are counters to everything. When we get down to brass tacks, a balanced party will be a monster if they know how to play. Part of the fun comes in the way of no one knowing how to PvP when the server comes up. Can't wait to see and of course do all kinds of dumb stuff.

It will be glorious :D

Well because of lack of pvp gear, would expect lots of burst damage compositions to domninate for the first few weeks/months, just like in wow when arenas were first introduced, also cause of the 100% damage interruption, probably comps with bards(even with the damage being affected by distance from your opponent) and dragoons/monks.

You're not taking PvP into consideration. Blizz 2 is now an even better utility skill for all casters. An 8 second bind (in PvP) is nothing to sneeze at. WHM shouldn't be using Thunder >_> so it was more a small nerf to SMN damage which is still number one. The loss of Thunder isin't that big a deal.

PVP should have zero bearing on class balancing for PVE.

Ploid 3.0

You're not taking PvP into consideration. Blizz 2 is now an even better utility skill for all casters. An 8 second bind (in PvP) is nothing to sneeze at. WHM shouldn't be using Thunder >_> so it was more a small nerf to SMN damage which is still number one. The loss of Thunder isin't that big a deal.

They already give PVP specific abilities and spells, why not make the switch for pvp only? PVP effecting PVE sucks, GW2 has been working on splitting the two iirc. The people that do GW2 made some bad choices that hurt classes in PVE.

Shouta

PVP and PVE balancing should not be connected, it's a mess if they do. blizz 2 is basically a junk spell and it just nerfs SMN in protracted, single boss fights.

PVP and PVE balancing should not be connected, it's a mess if they do. blizz 2 is basically a junk spell and it just nerfs SMN in protracted, single boss fights.

Agreed, they should give us something else to make up for the loss of that dot, especially since it was able to be extended by Contagion. SMN wasn't THAT strong

Isaccard

PVP should have zero bearing on class balancing for PVE.

They already give PVP specific abilities and spells, why not make the switch for pvp only? PVP effecting PVE sucks, GW2 has been working on splitting the two iirc. The people that do GW2 made some bad choices that hurt classes in PVE.

The team has admitted they have no experience with PvP sans YoshiP so who knows. We'll see how it works out after a couple weeks

According to them summoners were the top DPS

jorgeton

This game has had its hooks in me for the past 2 weeks. This 24hr server maintenance is brutal :(

But 2.1's gonna be sweet. Looking forward to the GAF compound on Ul'dah :)

Raijinken

I don't think I've ever seen a WHM use Thunder

weirdo

I do...

/macroicon “Thunder”
/ac “Thunder” <tt>
/ac “Thunder” <t>
/wait 2.7
/ac “Aero II” <tt>
/ac “Aero II” <t>
/wait 2.7
/ac “ Virus” <tt>
/ac “ Virus” <t>
/wait 0.7
/ac “Aero” <tt>
/ac “Aero” <t>
/recast “Virus’

I always used thunder when I can to contribute to damage so I am pretty hurt that we're losing it. Blizzard II won't be useful at all since I have Holy...

Ploid 3.0

The team has admitted they have no experience with PvP sans YoshiP so who knows. We'll see how it works out after a couple weeks

According to them summoners were the top DPS

Yeah I can see that in PVP as dots are strong for that, especially when it can be used at great range, and not all classes have dot removals. In GW2 dots/conditions had a big balance with every class having condi clear abilities, and it was vital to have abilities slotted to use in case you had them on you. Necro is a beast in pvp because of it. They should just limited this nerf to pvp, it hurts smn and such outside of pvp.

Now that they will be buffing dungeons and bringing new ways of getting EXP, they're giving our precious Blizzara aka FATE Clearer to the other classes...

:p

Brannon

Yay a patch, NOOOO MAINTENANCE!!!

Damn, was gonna do some more Conjurer antics. Anyway, since I've mostly been doing Conjurer and therefore healing, would my Aero actually contribute much to whittling down opponents?

XenoRaven

Anyone else downloading the patch right now? It's going really slow for me and I'm not sure if it's because their servers are getting hit hard or if my internet is just terrible.

WolvenOne

Anyone else downloading the patch right now? It's going really slow for me and I'm not sure if it's because their servers are getting hit hard or if my internet is just terrible.

It's going at about, 1.9 MBps for me. By my standards that's fairly fast, but, I still remember what dial-up speeds felt like, so, that may not be saying much.

Yay a patch, NOOOO MAINTENANCE!!!

Damn, was gonna do some more Conjurer antics. Anyway, since I've mostly been doing Conjurer and therefore healing, would my Aero actually contribute much to whittling down opponents?

Aero, Aero 2 and Thunder are all dots a CNJ/WHM should use when you want to contribute to dps.

XenoRaven

It was done in less than half an hour for me.

It's going at about, 1.9 MBps for me. By my standards that's fairly fast, but, I still remember what dial-up speeds felt like, so, that may not be saying much.
Thanks guys. Currently sitting at 0.07 MB/s for me. This is after a couple weeks of random disconnects while in dungeons and the complete inability for me to watch streams at the Source setting on Twitch. Comcast is getting a call very soon.

tenchir

Since Cover looks more useful with the extended range, I think I will add it to my slot. This macro should work pretty well for controllers right?

/micon "Cover"
/ac "Cover" <tt>

I think it's better than making a macro for specific member of the party.

Sophia

Since Cover looks more useful with the extended range, I think I will add it to my slot. This macro should work pretty well for controllers right?

/micon "Cover"
/ac "Cover" <tt>

Yup. This works. You may also wish to add a regular target cover in there too so that the ability behaves normally on top of the intended behaviour.

BadRNG

/micon "Cover"
/ac "Cover" <tt>

I think it's better than making a macro for specific member of the party.
That'll work. You may want to put in a part that tells the target being Covered, so they don't run away from you.

Even with the buff it's still pretty crappy (4yalm increase is nothing), also be careful since it only works on physical attacks and there are a ton of melee ranged skills that will ignore it. The second boss in WP's spin attack for example.

tenchir

That'll work. You may want to put in a part that tells the target being Covered, so they don't run away from you.

Even with the buff it's still pretty crappy (4yalm increase is nothing), also be careful since it only works on physical attacks and there are a ton of melee ranged skills that will ignore it. The second boss in WP's spin attack for example.

Is there a way to specifically say which party member you covering? I know <me> refers to yourself, but how do you do something similar to the person you covering? Or just use a general warning will do?

/micon "Cover"
/ac "Cover" <t>
/ac "Cover" <tt>
/party <tt>, I got you COVERED!!!

Ultrabum

Is there a way to specifically say which party member you covering? I know <me> refers to yourself, but how do you do something similar to the person you covering? Or just use a general warning will do?

/micon "Cover"
/ac "Cover" <t>
/ac "Cover" <tt>

Simply type their whole name out in quotes like this

/ac "Cover" <"Ultra Bum">

tXLAflJ.jpg

Rolling a mnk once I get all my gear from 2.0

scosher

So anyone on GAF want to form a semi-serious PvP group? Looking for others who not only enjoy PvP, but played it competitively in WoW.

My current class SMN will probably be awful in PvP, but that's why I'm also levelling a BRD.

Also, I haven't read too much on it besides the 4v4 format and the additional PvP skills...is there separate PvP gear and stats that we have to grind for? Or (and I'm hoping this to be the case) are there preset gear when entering the instanced arenas to create a balanced playing field?

Ken

/micon "Cover"
/ac "Cover" <t>
/ac "Cover" <tt>

/p I'm covering you <tt>

I don't think a party macro is flexible enough if you do /ac <t> and <tt>

BadRNG

Also, I haven't read too much on it besides the 4v4 format and the additional PvP skills...is there separate PvP gear and stats that we have to grind for? Or (and I'm hoping this to be the case) are there preset gear when entering the instanced arenas to create a balanced playing field?
You earn separate PvP gear that has a special PvP stat(Morale) that affects damage you both do and receive. Basically Resilience with damage added too.

The PvP gear also has materia slots for PvP materia, that add resistance to various CC effects.

WolvenOne

All this talk about the cover mechanic, confirms to me that I probably won't enjoy playing PLD. Thier basic mechanics are boring, and that advanced mechanic just sounds like a pain.

Good thing I'm a War. XD

So anyone on GAF want to form a semi-serious PvP group? Looking for others who not only enjoy PvP, but played it competitively in WoW.

My current class SMN will probably be awful in PvP, but that's why I'm also levelling a BRD.

I have a message from your Coil group:
"What are we, chopped liver?"

I'm willing to bet Elayne would be interested in PvP at least.

I'm not real interested in MMO PvP but I'm sure there are others in our group who are.

Ken

All this talk about the cover mechanic, confirms to me that I probably won't enjoy playing PLD. Thier basic mechanics are boring, and that advanced mechanic just sounds like a pain.

Good thing I'm a War. XD

PLDs don't have advanced mechanics.

WolvenOne

Maybe, maybe. I've never done PVP, and I'm curious about it, so I could end up loving or hating it. I just hope they have a decent tutorial, so I don't embarrass myself. XD

scosher

You earn separate PvP gear that has a special PvP stat(Morale) that affects damage you both do and receive. Basically Resilience with damage added too.

Ugh, grinding for PvP gear is WoW's #1 drawback in my opinion. I bet they'd get a lot more people randomly resubbing for a few months or so just to PvP, if it weren't for the fact that they'd be so behind on gear to really compete.

I have a message from your Coil group:
"What are we, chopped liver?"

I'm willing to bet Elayne would be interested in PvP at least.

Yeah, I figured Elayne would be the only one who'd be interested in PvP in our coil group. But Elayne is terrible, steals my caster gear, and always goes afk for turn 3.

Sophia

Good thing I'm a War. XD

Cover's not really all that significant. I mean it's nice if you can use it (via a macro) but it's hardly all the Paladin does. You can go the entire game without using it.

I am however totally going to get a Warrior for that oldschool FFXI feel. I want to get every tank and healer to 50 before too long, and the increased dungeon XP provides me with the means.

PLDs don't have advanced mechanics.

It's certainly not a hard tanking class to play. That's for sure. Luckily tanking itself is more demanding in this game than the average MMO.

WolvenOne

Probably going to work Dragoon and Monk upto 50 during this patch, I think I'll start with Monk. I have a Lancer, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around the positional damage aspect of the class.

Hmmm was looking at the new weapons for SMN...the Omnitone has some nice stats, including a nice chunk of accuracy which would help since they took it away from the Alagan Casting boots...shame about the loss of determination. Dunno if I should shoot for it or just +1 my relic

Ketsen

So, this is more for posterity sake, but since WHM Holy is being nerfed, some of us decided to do a tank + whm only run

~14.5min with some extra optimization we could have done. Hope you enjoy the music care of Kera Shan (wrongway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQOtY6eJcaM

Those runs were always so ridiculously fun. Though I dunno if it was the same for you white mages!

Tell Ketsen to get good and you won't have to do it that way anymore!

Just so mean to the innocent tank. :(

Hmmm was looking at the new weapons for SMN...the Omnitone has some nice stats, including a nice chunk of accuracy which would help since they took it away from the Alagan Casting boots...shame about the loss of determination. Dunno if I should shoot for it or just +1 my relic

They updated the JP site with a note, the changes to Allagan Boots of Casting have been rescinded. I guess someone noticed how shitty the Allagan set becomes for ACC when it's removed from the boots.

They updated the JP site with a note, the changes to Allagan Boots of Casting have been rescinded. I guess someone noticed how shitty the Allagan set becomes for ACC when it's removed from the boots.

Haha, I was just reading a reddit posting noting that. Guess I'll go with the +1 when I get the chance. The Omnitome might suffice until that happens. Glad they changed it.

Heh, we are so different about some things. I don't think I'd be upset if they removed all of the damage abilities from the healers, it just doesn't matter to me. I prefer not having to do any damage (though I will to speed up dungeon runs if necessary).

Oh, missed this..

Yeah, we're the complete opposite in regards to this. Especially for this MMO in particular, having to run the same couple of instances +infinity I would go crazy without some damage tools to fall back on while I played the waiting game (someone to take damage).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom