• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
But you are a bard and bards are op. I do agree though, knowing the fight is more important than what you are wearing for the most part.

A working computer is also important!

Thanks. I'll probably go ahead and give it a shot tonight then.

Watched a few videos about the fight so I shouldn't be completely lost when I get in there. Just gotta see it in action.

Thanks for the responses. Really sets my mind at ease.

If you're melee it's pretty simple since you follow the tank's lead.

If you're not just stick with the cluster of ranged and you'll be fine.

Baleoce

Bump, because asking a question on the last line of a page is just annoying:

Whilst we're on the topic of controllers, I need to know how to recalibrate a function on one. Personally, I think having R3 as changing from 3rd/1st person perspective a huge waste for my needs. Is there any way I can bind this as an extra macro key? Or possibly even two if paired with L2/R2?

I'd settle for one.

Jomjom

Banned
Halloween event

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/000520.html

Loving the ghost costume!

Ghost and Coblyns! Whoever S-E picked for localization has been master class with the puns in FFXIV.

Has anyone seen the Sharknado reference for one of the FATEs? I'm still confused by this because I could have sworn that Sharknado released at around the same time FFXIV did or at least after translation should have been complete already.

Bump, because asking a question on the last line of a page is just annoying:

Whilst we're on the topic of controllers, I need to know how to recalibrate a function on one. Personally, I think having R3 as changing from 3rd/1st person perspective a huge waste for my needs. Is there any way I can bind this as an extra macro key? Or possibly even two if paired with L2/R2?

I'd settle for one.

This.

If someone would be so kind to share their tank setup on controller, I would be super grateful. It's so difficult for me to tank with controller for the tougher fights that I've just been playing on my PC all the time and staying away from my PS3, even though I want those damn trophies!

Ultrabum

What is the CD of the monk silence (just curious).

Not nice!

It's on the gcd, but it only had the silence effect while in a specific form. So to silence I have to use 3 skills, then the 4th can be a silence. Then every third skill can be the silence from that point on.

We wiped about 6 times before I figured out the timing >.>

Edit: also the silence has over 2X the to cost, so you can't use it every third skill as well.

Tarazet

So guys..with the gathering XP buff coming next week, no one is going to be gathering. Which means now is the right time to be farming the shit out of some logs.

Going to make some money this week.

Ken

So guys..with the gathering XP buff coming next week, no one is going to be gathering. Which means now is the right time to be farming the shit out of some logs.

Going to make some money this week.

there's probably hundreds of people thinking the same way as you right now

Hubb

It's on the gcd, but it only had the silence effect while in a specific form. So to silence I have to use 3 skills, then the 4th can be a silence. Then every third skill can be the silence from that point on.

We wiped about 6 times before I figured out the timing >.>

Edit: also the silence has over 2X the to cost, so you can't use it every third skill as well.

Thanks for writing that out, was trying to figure out if 1 monk could silence the boss in turn 2. Doesn't seem like that would work out, at least not easily.

Guys, please help!

I'm using SweetFX - but I can't launch the game through SweetFX Config. I keep getting the message to "launch game from boot file". How are you guys using SweetFX? Thanks?

Mandoric

Banned
Ghost and Coblyns! Whoever S-E picked for localization has been master class with the puns in FFXIV.

Has anyone seen the Sharknado reference for one of the FATEs? I'm still confused by this because I could have sworn that Sharknado released at around the same time FFXIV did or at least after translation should have been complete already.

There was north of a month between Sharknado and launch. That's waaaaaaaaayyyy longer than it takes to make a slight tweak (though I've never worked with Square, so I'm not sure how hardcore they get on the check/insertion process)

Ultrabum

Thanks for writing that out, was trying to figure out if 1 monk could silence the boss in turn 2. Doesn't seem like that would work out, at least not easily.

I have also been trying to figure this out, but the only reason it works in turn 1 is because it always follows the lazer, so I can do my skills and sit there for about 5 seconds.

In turn 2 it seems more random, I don't even think a monk can be in the rotation for turn 2.

GorillaJu

This.

If someone would be so kind to share their tank setup on controller, I would be super grateful. It's so difficult for me to tank with controller for the tougher fights that I've just been playing on my PC all the time and staying away from my PS3, even though I want those damn trophies!

Some of the puns in the FATE names are truly hilarious. When I saw "It's not Lupus..." on the map and then went to see the mob's name is
Cancer
I lost my shit.

The other FATE featuring a large crustacean, "Giant Enemy Crab" also gave me a chuckle.

There are some other pretty clever ones like "Wonders don't cease, they're discontinued," which is a lv 45 BTN leve.

Third Relic, Bravura attained!

Thanks to Aeana and docbon for filling in! The usual heals I bug from our coil group is MIA

Double Edit: Special thanks to Alucrid for all the inspiration to beat him to cap on so many classes, Odoru for all the Natron he supplies me with to keep my gil afloat, Yenn for being Yenn and not crashing the Weaver market (yet), Pell for being that lone guy to always help kill random shit and Naz for logging in once a week just to kill Titan lol.

(I was forced to type this)

Shouta

Some random guy started talking about religion to me after I answered his Relic quest question... That's a first.

Ken

you guys i did it

jKHQqv7slnGe7.png

Third Relic, Bravura attained!

Thanks to Aeana and docbon for filling in! The usual heals I bug from our coil group is MIA

Double Edit: Special thanks to Alucrid for all the inspiration to beat him to cap on so many classes, Odoru for all the Natron he supplies me with to keep my gil afloat, Yenn for being Yenn and not crashing the Weaver market (yet), Pell for being that lone guy to always help and Naz for logging in once a week just to kill Titan lol.

(I was forced to type this)

It was a real struggle with that WAR in there dpsing but we got it done. Happy to help!

Scooping a PSN version of the collectors edition off a fellow gaffer.

Very stoked to jump into my first MMO. I'll transfer it to the ps4 version once that comes out (in assuming no issues with transferring the digital versions?).

Question:

Is the collectors edition stuff content worth it?

Also, what server should I join?

orion434

I was randomly asked if I was botting? I was in town making mats?

Oh I got Blacksmith to lv 50 today so I can meld for a 4th lv 50 Class :)

Jarate

Banned
tried the first few dungeons tanking with a controller

anyone got macros to tag a creatures automatically

also, playing with a controller isn't that bad, But I personally like the M+KB better

Baleoce

tried the first few dungeons tanking with a controller

anyone got macros to tag a creatures automatically

also, playing with a controller isn't that bad, But I personally like the M+KB better

Let me just preface this by saying I'm a relatively fresh 50PLD. In no way is this coming from an angle of experience, although this is based on a fair bit of information I've absorbed from the Paladin Compendium on BlueGartr which can be found here, and also some information from this PLD's blog.

This single controller set is just for basically two common scenarios for PLD (tanking a single mob, and tanking a crowd, whether it be trash, or during boss ads). I'll just say, I'm very open to suggestions/improvements on this setup, but I thought I'd share it anyway since it's been asked. Again, feel free to rip this apart. I want to learn.

With this setup I'd usually use these additional sub abilities:

itWeuDLuWEqaK.png

Foresight
Bloodbath
Stoneskin
Mercy Stroke
Fracture

My other options would be protect if I'm soloing instead of something like Mercy Stroke, or Raise incase I'm in a Duty Finder dungeon or something. But more often than not I just buy a phoenix down off the market board for 200gil and replace it when necessary.

First of all, here's how it looks (bear in mind a lot of these icons are macros):

iYnfJCBu6LTsv.png

----------

R2/RT + Cross/A: Fast Blade Macro (aka Halone Combo Step 1)

/macroicon "Spirits Within"
/ac "Spirits Within" <t>
/ac "Fight or Flight" <me>
/ac "Bloodbath" <me>
/ac "Mercy Stroke" <t>
/ac "Fast Blade" <t>

This I personally find a really handy macro, as it gets a lot of my DPS abilities out of the way and whatsmore, it's making sure that I'm always using them on cooldown. So in this case when I'm unengaged or out of range (or if they're back up), it'll always default to Fight or Flight and Bloodbath. When I first engage, and assuming it's up, it will open with a full HP Spirits Within, it will then automatically use Mercy Stroke as soon as the target mobs HP is below 20%. Other than those conditions, it will always use Fast Blade (which will be the majority of the time). I have it set to /macroicon "Spirits Within" because I can already tell when the GDC is up for Fast Blade, so I may as well know when Spirits Within is up. If I'm in a scenario where I need to be saving the silence effect of SW for a mob, then I'll use a copied palette that doesn't include it in this macro.

Basically, it helps me keep up my DPS without having to give it too much thought, even in situations where DPS isn't necessarily my main focus.

R2/RT + Circle/B: Savage Blade (aka Halone Combo Step 2)

No macro

R2/RT + Square/X: Rage of Halone (aka Halone Combo Step 3)

No macro

R2/RT + Triangle/Y: Circle of Scorn / Flash

/macroicon "Circle of Scorn"
/ac "Circle of Scorn" <me>
/ac "Flash <me>

I use this macro for crowd threat and damage mitigation. I have the icon set to CoS because I know when Flash is up anyway. Once CoS is used, it will just default to Flash until CoS is back up again. If for some reason I'm required to not wake adds but keep threat, then, like with Spirits Within I just use another almost identical cross-bar set without the CoS ability in it.

----------

R2/RT + D-pad Down: Bulwark / Awareness

/macroicon "Bulwark"
/ac "Bulwark" <me>
/ac "Awareness" <me>

Tap once, Bulwark. Second time, Awareness. My main use for pairing these two is for when pulling a large number of mobs, or if I'm in a hectic add moment during a boss. Once these two are activated, the increased shield block rate and lack of crits should make the DoT against me a lot smoother. Other than that, I just use them as and when I need to. By themselves if needs be.

R2/RT + D-pad Right: Rampart / Convalescence

/macroicon "Rampart" <me>
/ac "Convalescence" <me>
/ac "Rampart" <me>

I prioritise convalescence here incase I'm wanting to just hit this macro once for whatever reason. But more often than not I just double tap it, because the mitigation usually supplements the healing potency quite well.

R2/RT + D-pad Left: Foresight / Sentinel

/macroicon "Sentinel"
/ac "Foresight" <me>
/ac "Sentinel" <me>

No major reasoning behind pairing these. Tap once to regularly keep up Foresight, allowing me to save Sentinel for an "ohshi" moment. or just double tap it when the oshi moment happens for a bit of extra defence on top of the mitigation.

R2/RT + D-pad Up: Cover

No macro, I don't think it's worth the potential brain fart for an ability so crucial. I will say though, I love the controllers ability to target party members with D-pad up/down, it makes covering seem like a more common (and less athletic) task, which I think is a good thing.

----------

L2/LT + Cross/A: Fracture

No macro. If I'm supposed to be focusing on DPS as opposed to threat, and/or I'm soloing with Sword Oath up, I'll probably pop this at the start of fights.

L2/LT + Circle/B: Hallowed Ground

No macro. The other ohshi button. Ideally I'd want to put this somewhere more out of the way so as not to hit it accidentally. I really want to know if I can change R3 to be mapped to a hotkey like this. I find no use for a button that's dedicated to changing from 3rd/1st person perspective, personally. If I was allowed to free up this slot, perhaps I'd separate one of the paired defensive abilities.

L2/LT + Square/X: Stoneskin

/macroicon "Stoneskin"
/ac "Stoneskin" <mo>
/ac "Stoneskin" <t>
/ac "Stoneskin" <me>

I find useful to keep by itself. Makes me remember to use it as and when I need it. I have this macro set like this incase I'm ever at the PC. Otherwise it's very handy incase I want to help a party member out, even on controller.

L2/LT + Triangle/Y: Mount

Okay this one's a bit lame at the moment, granted. I'd like to be able to make this into a macro whereby it prioritizes the mount, but would use sprint if you're in a non-mountable position, like a dungeon/fleeing/town. But SE haven't made mounts macroable yet, so I'll have to hold off on that one.

----------

L2/LT + D-pad Down: Shield Lob (Mark/Pull)

/macroicon "Shield Lob"
/marking attack1 <t>
/ac "Shield Lob" <t>

Pretty simple. It just acts as a pulling macro that also marks the mob for DPS and gets you some starting threat.

L2/LT + D-pad Right: Provoke / Lob / Halone (Regain Threat)

/macroicon "Provoke"
/ac "Provoke" <t>
/ac "Rage of Halone" <t>
/ac "Shield Lob" <t>

This is incase one mob in the pack is suddenly going for someone else. I quickly target that mob (remember on gamepads you can either sub-target the mob using d-pad left/right, or switch target to them mid combat using R2/RT + RB).

Basically, it will primarily try to use Provoke if it's up to regain threat on that mob. If Provoke is not up, it will use Rage of Halone if it's within melee range, or lastly it will default to Shield Lob should the mob be out of melee range. As long as you're quick at identifying a threat target that's gone rogue, this should be the best options in order available to you for regaining threat on that target.

L2/LT + D-pad Left: Riot Blade

No macro. I have this on the palette when I have a big pull or lots of ads during a boss, and need to use the Fast Blade + Riot Blade combo to supplement heavier Flash usage.

L2/LT + D-pad Up: Shield Swipe / Shield Bash

/macroicon "Shield Swipe"
/ac "Shield Swipe" <t>
/ac "Shield Bash" <t>
/ac "Tempered Will" <me>

Primary function is to pacify a target (stop it from using moves), but also to help my TP during long fights. It's on GDC but doesn't disrupt Halone Combo, which is nice. Secondary functions it will Shield Bash when Swipe isn't up, and I need to use it in a clutch. When I'm disengaged and/or require it mid-GDC, I can tap it to use Tempered Will. Just a nice added bonus.

----------

I leave limit break on the next pallette, so if I need to use it I just tap RB. Same with meds/food for now.

As for the hotbar palettes underneath the cross-hotbar, I have the bottom one there just to keep my peripheral vision on my defensive cooldowns. Because most of them are paired in some way on the cross-hotbar, I tend to keep an eye on them. The palette above that is thinking ahead to PS4. I'm guessing we might get mouse emulation on the touchpad. So having the ability to use items/food/one off abilities here like limit breaks/sword/shield oath/antidotes/spine drops etc might suddenly be a really handy thing to have nearby.

Like I say, this doesn't come close to covering all tanking scenarios. But seen as a couple of people asked I thought this might be of some use at least. I'd like to add that I find controller play to be quite relaxing, and whereas I realise it could probably never be *as* optimal as a well thought-out KB/M setup, I think (especially with the DualShock4) it should be considered a decent alternative. I know you're probably thinking "what does he have against using a second cross-bar palette?", but for one scenario I kind of like being able to stick to a singular cross-palette if I can. Helps my mind not go to mush. A personal failing I guess, but something I'm sure I can work on xD

I do highly recommend reading that compendium and the blog I mentioned earlier though if you get a chance. Really useful info especially on things like ability/threat order on single/multiple mob pulls, and the blog goes over some of his own ideas for controller palettes should you want to look for something alternative.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/118121-Guide-Paladin-Tanking-Compendium
http://ventusinvictus.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/endgame-paladin-guide.html

Any way, I hope this helps a little.

Hubb

I have also been trying to figure this out, but the only reason it works in turn 1 is because it always follows the lazer, so I can do my skills and sit there for about 5 seconds.

Turn 2 seems to be on a 25 second timer for the para cast. At least this is what my bards tell me. They have it down real nice so "usually" I don't even know the boss casts such a spell.

aceface

Scooping a PSN version of the collectors edition off a fellow gaffer.

Very stoked to jump into my first MMO. I'll transfer it to the ps4 version once that comes out (in assuming no issues with transferring the digital versions?).

Question:

Is the collectors edition stuff content worth it?

Also, what server should I join?

Most GAF players who are new to the game (or who were when it came out) are on Ultros, join us!

The collector's editions stuff looks cool (you get a special mount for instance) but is not really worth anything beyond that afaik.

Most GAF players who are new to the game (or who were when it came out) are on Ultros, join us!

The collector's editions stuff looks cool (you get a special mount for instance) but is not really worth anything beyond that afaik.
Ultros it is!!

Downloading tonight. On either tomorrow or (most likely) Saturday.

good job square

Wow...

That is just downright ridiculous. I get that the game was probably under some serious time constraints and they were under a lot of pressure following the failure of 1.0 but damn, this is a massive oversight. Wonder if we'll be seeing some emergency maintenance soon. The way it's described makes it seem like we could be seeing some serious downtime if they have to overhaul a lot of stuff.

In better news though. Got extremely lucky and snagged Garuda's Talons. Got them on the second kill out of about 5 tries. Fight is incredibly fun when you have a solid group though it seems like that's the case with everything end game. The encounters are just downright fun when everyone can handle themselves well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom