• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

Wow...

That is just downright ridiculous. I get that the game was probably under some serious time constraints and they were under a lot of pressure following the failure of 1.0 but damn, this is a massive oversight. Wonder if we'll be seeing some emergency maintenance soon. The way it's described makes it seem like we could be seeing some serious downtime if they have to overhaul a lot of stuff.

In better news though. Got extremely lucky and snagged Garuda's Talons. Got them on the second kill out of about 5 tries. Fight is incredibly fun when you have a solid group though it seems like that's the case with everything end game. The encounters are just downright fun when everyone can handle themselves well enough.

Too bad you're gonna lose them when they do the rollbacks!

Khatoz

What happened then? Not on Ultros so...

Exploits have been found so that you can instant level any class to 50, get as much gil as you want and dupe any item in game, aside from the other teleport hacks.

Information is pretty much out in the wild now, it's just a matter of time before someone creates an app that could potentially let anyone use them.

Exploits have been found so that you can instant level any class to 50, get as much gil as you want and dupe any item in game, aside from the other teleport hacks.

Information is pretty much out in the wild now, it's just a matter of time before someone creates an app that could potentially let anyone use them.

Ugh >.> I want this to be my game that I sink time into, my main B. Not a side B, but this isn't helping!

I actually wonder if it's safe to advance anything right now. If hacking becomes widespread they might do server rollbacks after they've patched the exploits.

Only Squenix could make an MMO in 2013 which allows client-side actions without verifying validity of client actions before accepting them. Sasuga Squenix.

MechaX

I actually wonder if it's safe to advance anything right now. If hacking becomes widespread they might do server rollbacks after they've patched the exploits.

That's the main thing that has been on my mind after reading this. Hell, it's really bad timing when considering I was going to sub tomorrow (free period runs out Sunday). But now I'm wondering if SE will give us some assurances in how they plan on handling this (they won't, they'll just sit on it and do spontaneous emergency maintenance just like that bugged main-line quest on Ultros from a few weeks back).

Baleoce

oh wow that's kind of crazy that it was designed with that basic an exploit. tempted to just leave the game be for a few days incase they have to hit the nuke progression button on their servers. will wait for some kind of response first though, hopefully they'll be quick about it.

Christ. That's a basic, fundamental and almost complete failure of security. If their database security is this horrible in one area it shatters my trust that it is competent in other areas. Therefore I would strongly advise against letting SE have your credit card information.

Anteater

I don't know any of that stuff, so can they trace accurately who is doing the exploit and making edits to values that they were not intended to?

I don't know any of that stuff, so can they trace accurately who is doing the exploit and making edits to values that they were not intended to?

They can check logs for obvious things like level 1 to 50 in 1 minute, and a person having 6 billion gil.

Smart cheaters who add small increments of money to themselves over the course of a week, or subtly increase their leveling speed, could easily escape notice.

This is one reason I'm concerned about server rollbacks, there's no way they can catch every smart cheater. They still can't seem to deal with teleporting bots even it should be really fucking obvious that it's an impossible thing for a legit client to be doing. If it gets bad they'll just roll the servers back a week and fuck everyone over the way they took every rich person's suspended accounts and divided their gold by 100. It's amazing how incompetent Squenix is in dealing with hacking and how disrespectful they are to their paying subscribers.

BadRNG

If someone would be so kind to share their tank setup on controller, I would be super grateful. It's so difficult for me to tank with controller for the tougher fights that I've just been playing on my PC all the time and staying away from my PS3, even though I want those damn trophies!
I don't have a ton of macros like Baleonce does, I just do not like linking so many abilities together. Having everything on cooldown all the time is often not a bad idea, but I like the freedom to change things up as needed. I usually pair Bloodbath with Berserk/Fight or Flight for instance, but sometimes I'll save it for when I know adds are about to pop.

My setup is really nothing special. I made a little album showing my PLD/WAR tanking sets, plus character settings. Which can be found here.

Someone mentioned marking before, and pressing Square will bring up the "right click" window when targeting a mob letting you choose to mark from there. I've found this to be pretty quick, can even be done on the move in speed runs, but if it takes too long for you you can drag the marking icons from the window onto your hotbar.

Don't know if any of this will be of help. I really love tanking with controller though, it works great.

raven777

I mean, SE is not a complete newbie to MMOs, so I don't understand how this kind of problem can happen? Didn't they run FFXI for over 10 years?

Clipse

So if they do rollbacks, how far back are we talking? I JUST finished leveling every class for the cross-class skills the other day. If I lose most of that progress, I think I'd be done with this game.

Mileena

Banned
I mean, SE is not a complete newbie to MMOs, so I don't understand how this kind of problem can happen? Didn't they run FFXI for over 10 years?

They didn't do a very good job of it, that's for sure.

SE basically has no fucking clue what to do at this point. Gilsellers and hackers roam around free to do whatever they want while SE bans innocent people for having gil. Then they're nerfing speedruns on dungeons (again) because who the fuck knows why. They seem to put more priority on how dungeons are run over people who are actually ruining the damn game.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Guys...

The problem here is "hey i can hack and give myself 6billion gil", the REAL problem is a DROP database. You can fuck this game very much allowing database commands.

MechaX

So if they do rollbacks, how far back are we talking? I JUST finished leveling every class for the cross-class skills the other day. If I lose most of that progress, I think I'd be done with this game.

Well, the screenshot of the one player leveling his carpenter class from 1 to 50 in the span of a minute surfaced earlier in the week. The news of the actual mechanics of the exploit probably only hit the grid in the last few days.

You might be fucked depending on when SE decides to do something about this. If a week or two passes and cheaters start getting more smart and not easily detectable, the roll-back could be a blanket one (like, up to when the exploit was first leaked, basically meaning that you might be fucked).

Aeana

Guys...

The problem here is "hey i can hack and give myself 6billion gil", the REAL problem is a DROP database. You can fuck this game very much allowing database commands.

It doesn't seem like it accepts raw SQL, but rather JSON-formatted data requests.

Yeah I'd imagine there will be quite a few people that feel the same way. I think I've run CM like 15 times over the past 3 days and I'm not sure I could bring myself to redo all of that.

As much as I love the game, if they do some significant rollbacks that span several days then I'll probably hang it up.

Mileena

Banned
If they rollback I'm out too, my shit ends in 4 days and I just did Coil and got 2 pieces of gear and then got my AF2 hat.

Tread lightly Square.

They don't have to. From the sounds of it, they can send simple data requests to the server and it'll accept them.

The bigger problem is that hacked requests are indistinguishable from legit client requests. Meaning very clever and subtle hacking is undetectable even if you sit there and manually check millions of log entries one by one.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
good job square

Mark-Wahlberg-Confused-In-The-Happening.gif

Well, this was as good of time as any for taking a break...

Aeana

The bigger problem is that hacked requests are indistinguishable from legit client requests. Meaning very clever and subtle hacking is undetectable even if you sit there and manually check millions of log entries one by one.

Well, we don't know that for sure. There very well could be extra data that the client sends that people aren't sending and it just isn't required by the server to process the requests. Kind of like a referrer header in an HTTP request or something like that. If that's the case, and they keep logs of that, then it may be not so bad to sort through this stuff. But I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Esura

Banned
I...don't think I'm ever going to finish Castrum. First time I get in, I say my usual pleasantries and say I'm new to this dungeon. Ok, cool. First cutscene appears....everyone is gone. I'm lost for half a minute until I find them half dying then they say I suck at healing...

Ultrabum

Well, we don't know that for sure. There very well could be extra data that the client sends that people aren't sending and it just isn't required by the server to process the requests. Kind of like a referrer header in an HTTP request or something like that. If that's the case, and they keep logs of that, then it may be not so bad to sort through this stuff. But I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Is there like a video, or another thread on a different site where I can read about/ see this?

Very curious if its time to quit, much like when PSO item dupe was ridiculous.

Ken

I...don't think I'm ever going to finish Castrum. First time I get in, I say my usual pleasantries and say I'm new to this dungeon. Ok, cool. First cutscene appears....everyone is gone. I'm lost for half a minute until I find them half dying then they say I suck at healing...

are you in ultros? your heartwarming story earns my sympathies and ill run it with you

Reading into that General forum thread, the JP character that was being used to showcase the exploit is banned now. So SE seems to be moving fast on this.

if they roll back then did i ever invite my waifu to my party

I laughed way too hard at that, holy shit.

MechaX

If you're using PUGs, you'll find that most of them just want to speed run the dungeon for their tomestones. It gets even worse on the PS3 because of load-times. The only thing I can tell you is to get FC folks or shout for a like-minded group (or a group that is cool with first-time players).

Mileena

Banned
Well the Allagan gloves are garbage so they'd be doing you a favor on one end.

better than fucking DL
god I hate DL so much

you really shouldn't be watching cutscenes in a group from shouts. if DF though, all bets are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom