• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

That's what I thought too. I've only cleared up to T2 so far, so it kinda sucks that I got spoiled with that screenshot.

Congrats anyway, everyone.

The story itself is extremely interesting for anyone who played 1.0.
Just looking at a screenshot doesn't do it justice.

Tabris

Anyone know where I can find a decent but quick recap of 1.0? Like a quick 15-30 minute video recap. I couldn't find anything good anywhere.

studyguy

Anyone know where I can find a decent but quick recap of 1.0? Like a quick 15-30 minute video recap. I couldn't find anything good anywhere.

I think someone posted the recap from the special edition online somewhere.
Also it didn't occur to me till yesterday. Main story spoilers:
When I was doing the mainline story, kept wondering why the hell F'laminn was so fucking old (it would have only been 5 years, but now she's an old woman). I realized all of the 1.0 Ul'dah intro was a goddamn Echo. What a ruse. Ascillia is Minfilia and the only time we ever interacted with Ascillia in 1.0, it was during a motherfucking echo. Sonovabitch my mind was blown. Tanaka you sneaky bastard. Furthermore, there's info in some text that says the goobue parade accident happened 20 years ago, not 5 years ago, which supports that. God damnit!

Torquill

1.0 spoiler (or possible speculative BS)
Ascillia is Minfilia

I keep seeing this. I played from Ul'dah in 1.0 and and even reviewed ALL 1.0 CS before 2.0 and I've never seen anything to support this fairly wild claim. Where does this come from? Where is the evidence?

(I'm going to laugh if stuff in 2.1 scenario explains this. I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm expecting them to follow up on "Krile" and "Grandfather" which may suggest family and background stuff lol)

Are you looking for a gameplay recap or a plot recap?

For gameplay recap, I always liked Yogscast's 15 part "review" of the 1.0 Beta. Bear in mind the game didn't get much better afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJNUTrM_m7Q << Here's them spending 10 minutes trying to figure out how to use the map.

studyguy

1.0 spoiler (or possible speculative BS)
Ascillia is Minfilia

I keep seeing this. I played from Ul'dah in 1.0 and and even reviewed ALL 1.0 CS before 2.0 and I've never seen anything to support this fairly wild claim. Where does this come from? Where is the evidence?

I had trouble with it too, but it apparently is true.

For one, Minfillia's real name is Ascillia as the 2.1 story reveals.
F'lhaminn apparently took her in following her father's death during the parade. F'lhaminn also talks about her husband, Niellefresne, the Elvaan we see in the U'ldahn intro to 1.0 fondly as if he died years ago in 2.1. At a glance that's wrong considering we interacted with both during 1.0 and they were alive and well. The issue is that every NPC surrounding F'lhaminn, Niellefresne and Ascillia during 1.0 were the group we now call the Scions, the people who can see Echos.

Seems that at every juncture concerning F'lhaminn, Ascillia and Niellefresne we were unwittingly pulled into an Echo. A Goldsmith quest supports this since a man there says his brother died in the Goobue accident 20 years ago, which again seems wrong at first since to the player it was only 5 years ago. So they either rectonned the entire story, or they weaved that shit in so nicely that no one even noticed. The 2.1 story beats seem to support the idea of the Echoes.

creid

I think someone posted the recap from the special edition online somewhere.
Also it didn't occur to me till yesterday. Main story spoilers:
When I was doing the mainline story, kept wondering why the hell F'laminn was so fucking old (it would have only been 5 years, but now she's an old woman). I realized all of the 1.0 Ul'dah intro was a goddamn Echo. What a ruse. Ascillia is Minfilia and the only time we ever interacted with Ascillia in 1.0, it was during a motherfucking echo. Sonovabitch my mind was blown. Tanaka you sneaky bastard. Furthermore, there's info in some text that says the goobue parade accident happened 20 years ago, not 5 years ago, which supports that. God damnit!
Yeah, someone posted this on the OF a while ago. Sucks that 1.0 ended before they ever sprung this plot twist properly, I think my mind would've been blown :/

aravuus

I wouldn't mind a plot recap of 1.0 even if it's not what Tabris was looking for. ARR is practically a sequel main story wise, right? I just know there's something about a moon and Bahamut and something

studyguy

I wouldn't mind a plot recap of 1.0 even if it's not what Tabris was looking for. ARR is practically a sequel main story wise, right? I just know there's something about a moon and Bahamut and something

ARR isn't so much a sequel as a continuation of the same story. Binding Coil's story has a far bigger impact for legacy players as does the 2.1 story reveals which are absolute plot twists to anyone who played 1.0. To ARR players, it's all whatever though.

Torquill

Yeah, someone posted this on the OF a while ago. Sucks that 1.0 ended before they ever sprung this plot twist properly, I think my mind would've been blown :/
For an extra mind fuck, my char from 1.0 didn't progress to the very end. So despite having seemingly known Thancred for the past 5 years, we'd never actually met until the Sultantree

Torquill

It was a neat Shamalanesque plot device on paper. But the execution was so muddled I just thought the writing of the NPCs who trigger the echo were just really stilted and bad. It didn't really make sense all the time until you realized what was going on.

They did kind of trigger it. The final echoes were made way more obvious that it was an echo and events (at least in Uldah) make it very clear you never actually met Nielle. Except for the fact that I just assumed that last echo was minutes/hours ago instead of years. I never realized what was going on till I rematches before 2.0.

studyguy

It was a neat Shamalanesque plot device on paper. But the execution was so muddled I just thought the writing of the NPCs who trigger the echo were just really stilted and bad. It didn't really make sense all the time until you realized what was going on.

They did kind of trigger it. The final echoes were made way more obvious that it was an echo and events (at least in Uldah) make it very clear you never actually met Nielle. Except for the fact that I just assumed that last echo was minutes/hours ago instead of years. I never realized what was going on till I rematches before 2.0.

If we're talking strictly Tanaka story. It abruptly ends around the time of Ifrit. Following that, Yoshida's story takes over. I get the feeling Tanaka and Yoshida's split, but they kept the plotpoints there anyway. Clearly they were going to make this a big deal in 1.0, but since they had such a huge shift in gears, it may have just gotten sidelined.

aravuus

ARR isn't so much a sequel as a continuation of the same story. Binding Coil's story has a far bigger impact for legacy players as does the 2.1 story reveals which are absolute plot twists to anyone who played 1.0. To ARR players, it's all whatever though.

Aww lame, and now there's no way of playing 1.0 story anymore :(
Guess I'll just read what happened in ff wikia or something.

Riposte

Nothing quick, but I made this for the original OT of this game and it pretty complete as far as things go:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f1RVGK0nY9VC0nM779rmZrEVd43XZy5xIC0X_2SXWp8/edit

FFXIV original storyline was really interesting and the twist was really cool (it never even got pointed out since that whole part of the game crashed and burned).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So after about 25 minutes of playing through the opening stuff, I can honestly say that this game feels buttery smooth. What a crazy change from OG XIV to ARR. Kudos to the team for turning it around. Everything just feels like it "works" right now.

studyguy

Yeah, looking for plot wise but I don't want to watch all cutscenes. No one's sliced and diced them up to create a recap?

XIV 1.0 was a tough cake to slice considering the odd directions it took with two different teams building on eachother. There are very clear divisions of story though, as the focus with Tanaka went towards Echoes and the Path, while Yoshida clearly shot off towards Nael and his plan.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well, despite the GAME being a blast, I'm now a bit sour with account management. I paid for a CE key, started playing the game, but it created a separate service account rather than applying the credit/time to my existing Legacy. Apparently they cannot merge CE with Legacy, so I'm out the cash for the month subscription AND can't benefit as a Legacy member if I continue on. *sigh* So much for that, ha.

Riposte

Yeah, looking for plot wise but I don't want to watch all cutscenes. No one's sliced and diced them up to create a recap?

Well, it is multiple storylines with vague connections to the often ignored original class side-quests. If you really want to grasp it, I would hunker down and read through the old forum (especially the threads linked in that google doc I posted).

Well, despite the GAME being a blast, I'm now a bit sour with account management. I paid for a CE key, started playing the game, but it created a separate service account rather than applying the credit/time to my existing Legacy. Apparently they cannot merge CE with Legacy, so I'm out the cash for the month subscription AND can't benefit as a Legacy member if I continue on. *sigh* So much for that, ha.

Why did you buy the game at all? If you're legacy, you are entitled to get it for free.

If you wanted the CE stuff, you could have paid the $20 digital upgrade fee to be updated to a legacy collector's edition account.

They said early on that you can't register a PC key on an existing PC account to get the CE items because for ARR they are a single code, unlike they were in 1.0.

I'm sorry you missed that information, but it was available.

HeelPower

The way magic has more function than just elemental damage is very interesting.I am just level 7 and the battle mechanics seem top notch to me.I like the implementation of near action stuff as well.

Maybe this is just because I am new.But this game seems so great far.Also world seems immersive as hell.

Tabris

Well, it is multiple storylines with vague connections to the often ignored original class side-quests. If you really want to grasp it, I would hunker down and read through the old forum (especially the threads linked in that google doc I posted).

I don't want to grasp it, just want to get a sense and more importantly how it relates to 2.0.

Like who was the old guy who saved everyone in the introduction? What did the Scion group do in 1.0? Who all the Garlean NPCs are, etc

WolvenOne

Didn't Square create a recap video or something, that they bundled with the physical collectors edition?

creid

I tried to warn you :/

Khatoz

Grats on killing Twintania guys. We should be able to at least attempt it soon. Well, as soon as our healers actually get drops from Coil. :p

Thank you, we were in the same situation a few weeks back, we just had to do with myth gear since those damn allagan tank/healer items would never drop. Would suggest that you guys go in once everyone hits 4k HP, just so you can start learning the first 2-3 phases of this fight.

grats on the twintania kill

Thanks!

Grats yennaiv's group.

our group will down it soon :D

Thanks Gryvan! Good luck, I'm sure you guys will get your kill in no time.

aravuus

The way magic has more function than just elemental damage is very interesting.I am just level 7 and the battle mechanics seem top notch to me.I like the implementation of near action stuff as well.

Maybe this is just because I am new.But this game seems so great far.Also world seems immersive as hell.

First MMORPG ever I want to get back to as soon as I can. My parents' house has a horribly slow internet and I'm not even sure if this laptop will run the game but I'm hoping for the best.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I tried to warn you :/

Why did you buy the game at all? If you're legacy, you are entitled to get it for free.

If you wanted the CE stuff, you could have paid the $20 digital upgrade fee to be updated to a legacy collector's edition account.

They said early on that you can't register a PC key on an existing PC account to get the CE items because for ARR they are a single code, unlike they were in 1.0.

I'm sorry you missed that information, but it was available.

The problem was that I DIDN'T really pay attention to anything after 1.0 was a bust. My friend was playing the game and wanted me to give it a shot, so I said why not. I did in fact miss any warnings about being unable to link Legacy with a purchased game. But that's part of the issue I guess - I feel like it wasn't terribly clear when working with my account that I would be unable to do what I was wanting to do.

My fault, yes - but that doesn't mean I'm not really bummed about it. And the reason I bought it (for only $10 mind you) was because a) it was the cost of the sub and b) it was the CE. I didn't realize it was basically buying a new account and thus rendering my Legacy account useless. So I'll probably just have to let that account disappear and sub on my Legacy if I decide to spend more money.

Lucis

On the patch note it says you obtain "The Gifted" after finishing "It's possibly a Primal" (which happens to unlock the king moggle quest chain too. However I got the king moggle quest and went back to walking sand, Minfina isn't giving me "The Gifted". Am I missing anything?

WolvenOne

Just a semi-random thought that occurred to me.

Additions I'd like to see in 2.2

1: Phil Tome Consumable Items.

Food, Potions/Ethers with lower recast times, XP Buffs, etc​

2: Myth Tome Crafting Items

For crafting lvl90-95 Items, after the armor lvl cap is raised to lvl 110 or whatever.​

I think both moves would go a long way towards spurring the in-game economy. We're now at a point where, everyone is trying to make money, for housing, but the amount of really heavily sought out items are either dwindling, or are too rare to effectively gather.

Another issue, is that eventually people won't need Phil Tomes anymore, and even Myth Tomes will reach that point eventually, yet these are incentives being used to keep lvl50 players using the Roulette. This would effectively solve this issue.

Fvash

Neo Member

First MMORPG ever I want to get back to as soon as I can. My parents' house has a horribly slow internet and I'm not even sure if this laptop will run the game but I'm hoping for the best.

Critique is always possible, but your sense is right: ARR is pretty great :)

Incredibly polished, immersive, and fun. I'm looking forward to jumping back in as well.

grand%20welcome.gif

Welcome to the fold!

After two days with the game I'm really reaaaally enjoying it, and that's being a melee dude AND playing on PS3 (still without a keyboard).

I've tried practically every major MMO (be it through trials or F2P) and this one, just from trying the betas and watching/reading people that play was a lot more intriguing that any other.

It's just fun, interesting, charming, dynamic and it IS Final Fantasy. I'm actually OVERLEVELED -- it might change as I level up, sure, but getting to level 15 with a tankish class without getting bored at all in two days is just fantastic compared to my previous experiences. Things unlock at the right pace, quests are interesting and fun enough, the travelling is very fine tuned, equipment (at least at low levels) is super affordable so you don't have to grind money like crazy.

Plus the CGI cutscene that plays when you let the game idle in the main menu made my eyes wet a little, lol. The first "nextgen" (hah) FF for me...

I only wish I would've started playing first, but I wasn't sure enough I was going to like it.

HeelPower

It's just fun, interesting, charming, dynamic and it IS Final Fantasy.

Plus the CGI cutscene that plays when you let the game idle in the main menu made my eyes wet a little, lol. The first "nextgen" (hah) FF for me...

I only wish I would've started playing first, but I wasn't sure enough I was going to like it.

Me too I am playing on PS3 and definitely getting it on PS4 when the time comes.

Yes its Final Fantasy through and through.Which is such a pleasant surprise.Also the UI is pretty awesome.Customizable , quick and easy to use in one sitting.

SE knocked it out the park.

Offline single player FF should DEFINITELY make use of the expansiveness and customization this game offers.Its so fun to fight and explore here.

Welcome to the fold!

PS4 version can't come soon enough.This is a system seller imo.

Me too I am playing on PS3 and definitely getting it on PS4 when the time comes.

Yes its Final Fantasy through and through.Which is such a pleasant surprise.Also the UI is pretty awesome.Customizable , quick and easy to use in one sitting.

SE knocked it out the park.

Offline single player FF should DEFINITELY make use of the expansiveness and customization this game offers.Its so fun to fight and explore here.

PS4 version can't come soon enough.This is a system seller imo.

Agreed to all of that! Getting an MMO UI to work at 720p on a console with a controller sounds really tough, but it works pretty well :) Getting used to it very quickly! And I can't wait to play the PS4 version either.

I love the Roegadyn's design, too.

So cool <3 The armors are pretty stylish and classy for now, too (except one which is like wearing panties but at least the physical defense sucks).

zlatko

Banned
GF and I want to get into a MMO in 2014. I loved FFXi for 6 years, did FFXIV alpha, beta, actual game, some beta/alpha for realm reborn, but I'm still on the fence to drop in on this.

I would be PC version, she would be PS4, is it cross play ?

Did they mention a PS4 release date yet?

She's a WoW girl... idk if this is going to overload here. Is the final product stream lined enough in terms of just a tutorial section and having solo/duo content to keep her busy?

Aeana

GF and I want to get into a MMO in 2014. I loved FFXi for 6 years, did FFXIV alpha, beta, actual game, some beta/alpha for realm reborn, but I'm still on the fence to drop in on this.

I would be PC version, she would be PS4, is it cross play ?

Did they mention a PS4 release date yet?

She's a WoW girl... idk if this is going to overload here. Is the final product stream lined enough in terms of just a tutorial section and having solo/duo content to keep her busy?
FF14 is more like WoW than FF11, so nothing to worry about in that respect.

Yes, you can play on your account from any platform as long as you own that version of the game.

aravuus

yup awesome designs! Character creator was awesome.But I've settled for maximum love-ability lol

You've quoted someone else's post with my name as the poster somehow twice now lol, I should probably be flattered

For a second there I freaked out a bit tho cause I didn't remember writing anything like that lmao

zlatko

Banned
FF14 is more like WoW than FF11, so nothing to worry about in that respect.

Yes, you can play on your account from any platform as long as you own that version of the game.

Excellent.

Now I just have to wait for the PS4 version to release and I'm golden. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom