• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaptruder

Banned
I am forever doomed to explain and coordinate Crystal Tower runs, it seems. Every single time in there it goes poorly until I explain, and any attempts to let anyone else explain end up with me doing it anyhow. Even if I take my guild in as a pre-made, I still end up ordering the other two alliances around.

Make macros. Profit.

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
Kinda interested in this game. Is it worth it?
I have played WOW since 2004
Played Warhammer also.

Just want a good MMO but sick and tired of the Warcraft world.

Sophia

Played Warhammer also.

If you enjoyed World of Warcraft during it's prime, you'll enjoy this. It combines the best elements of that with the best elements of Final Fantasy XI.

Sophia

Cost would be 60 dollars plus 15 per month right?.

MSRP $30 for PC, $40 for PS3. $15 monthly. You get a free month when you buy it. If you buy both versions and add them to the same account, you get two free months. Also, if you buy it on PS3 you get a one way free upgrade to the PS4 if you have one.

They very frequently go on sale, as Seraphis Cain noted above, so keep an eye out.

Sophia

Awesome, the game looks great. How is the community? Does the game have an active community?.
?.

Very active. Mor Dhona has so many people it makes my PC lag down to 10 frames at prime time. Other cities usually are filled too, at least near the markets. You'll never have an issue finding someone.

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
Just bought it. Hopefully the digital download comes with a free month too. Thanks for the information guys.I hope playing casters are fun since I played a mage in wow.

finished my second solo ct run. still having fun and a lil luck with the ppl in there. running after midnight might help. only 2 wipes this time. first bosses had same loot as before. mnk gloves and boots. so i got boots this time. funny how head piece dropped after those. hoping to get legs next week. no more subligar pls.

whats so good about housing? its just fluff. nice to have, but there is no substance.

suzu

tumblr_my97n6c9O21s05klto7_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_my97p2f5vA1s05klto1_1280.gif

Happy holidays, everybody~

dcye

Subbed for one of our FC Coil parties today because their DRG is out for the week. One shot turns 1-4, bowed before Twintania, got two drops, cleared Garuda EX with one wipe, cleared Ultima in one shot, ran CT twice. Bought my Wyrm gloves. Went from ilvl77 to ilvl82 in one day.

Today was a good day :D

If you enjoyed World of Warcraft during it's prime, you'll enjoy this. It combines the best elements of that with the best elements of Final Fantasy XI.

You shouldn't spread lies. It may create false hope that will only lead to disappointment when expectations that are not lived up to. This game doesn't come close to the best elements of either game, it just offers something different that may be enjoyable even if objectively inferior in all ways aside from more modern looking graphics.

JudgeN

Ugh I've spent 7-8 hours in Titan Ex with no win yet, there always someone fucking falling off/dying. I gotta say i'm really tired of these "types" of fights.

frequency

Played Warhammer also.

WoW is better designed in almost all aspects. Significantly better. But this looks better. It is a fresh experience though and you'll probably forgive a lot of poor design after 9 years of the same game and find something to be enjoyed here from that alone.

I'm enjoying this game but don't go in expecting this to be "WoW during its prime" or for it to have the "best elements" of either WoW or FFXI. This doesn't come close to WoW or FFXI in their primes and the elements of both WoW and FFXI that FFXIV has are like cheap knock offs (poorly implemented versions) of the real thing in the originating games. But it's new and fresh and there is room to grow. It's worth trying but don't get too excited and expect your prime WoW experience to be repeated here.

Also about being active: WoW has a more active population. So if you've been sitting there since 2004, you're going to find this game less active. Depending on server, maybe significantly so. But this game world is significantly smaller with basically a single path of progression so people are more concentrated to alleviate the issue somewhat.

Torquill

Why would it beat anything in its prime? No MMO is at its prime after one major update lol.

I now officially have more than I can do given my weekly playtime. Mixed feelings as I wanted to start playing other things too. Tough decisions Coming. XD

frequency

Why would it beat anything in its prime? No MMO is at its prime after one major update lol.

I don't know. Ask the person basically trying to sell this game as the best MMORPG ever. It's like the best elements of WoW and FFXI combined!

Don't misunderstand me. There is fun and enjoyment to be had here and I think anyone interested should try it at the low price point it's being sold for. I just think people should temper their expectations and not come in expecting this to be a combination of the best of one of the most highly regarded video games of all time and my personal favourite MMORPG.

You're just setting up people to be disappointed with that sales pitch.

But "for what it's worth", I've subscribed longer in this game than any other new MMORPG since WoW. Other ones lost my interest within a month but ARR has my attention for the foreseeable future. And it seems like the NeoGAF FC/guild is stronger in this one than other recent releases and attempts at NeoGAF guilds so that's a positive sign. This is definitely worth considering if you're on the fence.

Ploid 3.0

What exactly is ffxi in it's prime? Rise of Zilart is when I started that game and it was very interesting to just explore in before Chains of Promathia, and Treasures of Aht Urhgan. It had lots if interesting notorious monsters, and loot. FFXIV has been set back a great deal by the reboot, in a year FFXIV will be very interesting I'm hoping.

Anyway I look forward to any class patches as always. I eat that stuff up, pretty much change the game a bit if I have one of the classes.

zlatko

Banned
That would be a White Mage wearing that awful Darklight Cowl.

What about the character one to the right for the "manthra" ? Warrior ?

Also, I plan to pick this up this weekend for my PC. Amazon has the best deal right?

As someone who played vanilla FFXIV on PC , do I simply just buy the game and tie the code to my account on Square's website to still have access to my old characters and the money ?

So at level i63 is okay for me to do CT or should I gear up more. I have all DL accessories and lvl 60 ring, lvl 60 head, chest and legs and DL hands and waist.

zlatko

Banned
From left to right:
White Mage, Bard, Paladin, Summoner, Warrior, Black Mage, Scholar? and Monk.

BARD?!

Wow that looks awesome. Not what I envisioned at all.

I'm extremely torn on what class I will play. Summoner is at the top of my list, but I really like the look of Paladin and Bard in this game.

If you had to say how useful each of those 3 are for groups, solo, and duo play, which is best to worst and why ?

BARD?!

Wow that looks awesome. Not what I envisioned at all.

I'm extremely torn on what class I will play. Summoner is at the top of my list, but I really like the look of Paladin and Bard in this game.

If you had to say how useful each of those 3 are for groups, solo, and duo play, which is best to worst and why ?
Every class is important for group and solo play, the game is pretty balanced as of the latest patch.

Summoner is a damage-over-time class with debuffs. You will use mostly debuff and poisoning skills, together with Ruin from FFXIII for more direct damage while your summon attacks. They are monstrous in long battles and it's common to have 5+ status icons on an enemy when they're around. They are the best at soloing because they can simply summon a tanker pet and never take damage.

Paladin is a tanker based on damage mitigation (while Warrior is a tanker based on sheer HP and a bit of leech). Their damage is on the low end for soloing because of the tanking nature, but they won't die anyway.

Bard is a powerfull ranged DPS (because it comes from Archer), but can sacrifice a bit of its damage to sing recorery and weakening songs. It's the only class that can effectively kite enemies while binding them to boot, so they're pretty good at soloing too.

The best advice I can give you is to try all of them and see which you like the most, because you can (and are required to) play as more than one class in the same character.

zlatko

Banned
Every class is important for group and solo play, the game is pretty balanced as of the latest patch.

Summoner is a damage-over-time class with debuffs. You will use mostly debuff and poisoning skills, together with Ruin from FFXIII for more direct damage while your summon attacks. They are monstrous in long battles and it's common to have 5+ status icons on an enemy when they're around. They are the best at soloing because they can simply summon a tanker pet and never take damage.

Paladin is a tanker based on damage mitigation (while Warrior is a tanker based on sheer HP and a bit of leech). Their damage is on the low end for soloing because of the tanking nature, but they won't die anyway.

Bard is a powerfull ranged DPS (because it comes from Archer), but can sacrifice a bit of its damage to sing recorery and weakening songs. It's the only class that can effectively kite enemies while binding them to boot, so they're pretty good at soloing too.

The best advice I can give you is to try all of them and see which you like the most, because you can (and are required to) play as more than one class in the same character.

Excellent response.

I think I'll go Summoner first, then see where I go from there.

Is it similar to FFXI that the race I pick matters for the class I play? Not sure which is the "ideal" races for Summoner and Bard. I'm a big lalafell fan, but also may go with the "Manthras" this go around.

Torquill

Excellent response.

I think I'll go Summoner first, then see where I go from there.

Is it similar to FFXI that the race I pick matters for the class I play? Not sure which is the "ideal" races for Summoner and Bard. I'm a big lalafell fan, but also may go with the "Manthras" this go around.
It's essentially just cosmetic. The stat differences are minimal this time around.

frequency

Also, I plan to pick this up this weekend for my PC. Amazon has the best deal right?

As someone who played vanilla FFXIV on PC , do I simply just buy the game and tie the code to my account on Square's website to still have access to my old characters and the money ?

If you bought FFXIV 1.0, you don't need to buy FFXIV:ARR. You just need to buy a month subscription on your existing account.

Masamuna

Finally started playing yesterday and I'm really enjoying myself. Curious about crafting, gathering though. Is there anything in particular I should focus on to get a swing of things? I'm assuming it's another asset to make extra gil right?

Ploid 3.0

What about the character one to the right for the "manthra" ? Warrior ?

You shouldn't have to buy the game iirc.

Yeah that darklight cloak look pretty cool the first time you see it, then it starts looking ugly the more you see it. My first day in ffxiv 2.0 (not beta) someone in my linkshell had that on and I thought it looked so cool. Now I want no part of it.

Not many people here are in my ffxiv linkshell but some of you are. I came across this picture and realized we all are still playing together, years later, in ffxiv now. Good times.

avwGaKR.jpg

Bookey (on gaf, seems to be the Bookey gaf FC talks about a lot)
rVWU4QY.jpg

And I took this one to show Kintaro years ago but never did. The female version of Darsh.

My entire ffxi life, from thinking about endgame to doing it, and getting tired of it (the mandy costume in whitegate phase).

zlatko

Banned
Thanks for all the responses guys.

A month sub to get into it? Nice.

Did they ever find a way to make the patches download in an easier fashion or are we still forced to find other websites to get them from since SE servers take forever and then some?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom