• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
But those tanks in AF gear! So pro.

That's when I rage...

If there is a ilvl89+ tank, let that fucker tank the boss, don't force him to OT Iron Giant or grab Ballons

If you ilvl65+, for fuck sakes your relegated to adds OT duty, tower clicks

Ken

That's when I rage...

If there is a ilvl89+ tank, let that fucker tank the boss, don't force him to OT Iron Giant or grab Ballons

If you ilvl65+, for fuck sakes your relegated to adds OT duty, tower clicks

wut

If a lower ilevel tank wants to volunteer for MT duty I'm not going to stop him. CT really isn't that gear dependent.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
wut

If a lower ilevel tank wants to volunteer for MT duty I'm not going to stop him. CT really isn't that gear dependent.

Really when DRG's and MNK's are ilvl80+ and you're a tank @ilvl65+, you best believe, hate is getting pulled

I have seen KB turn around and just gore 2 DPS, cause their threat was higher than the tank could hold

Why create frustration in CT, the healers for MT already got enough on their plate, do you really need to over-heal a MT twice as much when you can have someone who might need less than due to their gear way better

I look at all tank gears and request best geared get MT slot, 2nd best to grab 2nd big add, 3-4 grav adds, the rest 4 towers

MechaX

So many CT runs, nothing but DRG/WHM drops... But even in the worst PUGs, CT never gets annoying or frustrating, just funny (at least until PUG folks start being verbally insulting to a certain GAF tank in a certain dragon fight).

With that said, Garuda EX is getting pretty frustrating in PUGs. Can pretty much do everything right but completely wipe because a tank pulled something to the wrong spot/wrong time, or someone decided it was a good idea to AOE something with a low-life Spinny plume nearby.

Alucrid

Banned
Really when DRG's and MNK's are ilvl80+ and you're a tank @ilvl65+, you best believe, hate is getting pulled

I have seen KB turn around and just gore 2 DPS, cause their threat was higher than the tank could hold

Why create frustration in CT, the healers for MT already got enough on their plate, do you really need to over-heal a MT twice as much when you can have someone who might need less than due to their gear way better

I look at all tank gears and request best geared get MT slot, 2nd best to grab 2nd big add, 3-4 grav adds, the rest 4 towers

Not really. I tanked all boss in CT, except KB, without any problems in all hoplite. No aggro problems with the Iron Giant as OT during that fight either.

gatti-man

Not really. I tanked all boss in CT, except KB, without any problems in all hoplite. No aggro problems with the Iron Giant as OT during that fight either.

Must not have been strong dps with you. I can rip anything off a hop light tank as my blm any time any where. I have to purposely lower dps and watch aggro meters.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
They need to play better then. I can easily keep hate against raids with much better weapons than me. >.<;

So do i... people need to focus on play more his classes.

PD: I dont do CT as tank, but so far 4 tries and 0 wipes.

Maybe is because the 95% is Japanese CT.

Alucrid

Banned
Must not have been strong dps with you. I can rip anything off a hop light tank as my blm any time any where. I have to purposely lower dps and watch aggro meters.

or it could be that the fights themselves don't lend to that occurring unless you're a terrible dps

They need to play better then. I can easily keep hate against raids with much better weapons than me. >.<;

What's to play better on PLD other than Halone combo? If the iLvl gear (or mostly the weapon level) gap between DPS and Tank is wide enough, DPS will have to hold DPS unless they totally suck, specially on King Behe. They may have been holding their DPS and you wouldn't know ;)

desu

Man, those new weapons look really awesome. WAR axe and MNK claws look soooo good!

Bow for this week:
newbow6none.jpg

Sophia

What's to play better on PLD other than Halone combo? If the iLvl gear (or mostly the weapon level) gap between DPS and Tank is wide enough, DPS will have to hold DPS unless they totally suck, specially on King Behe. They may have been holding their DPS and you wouldn't know ;)

Keeping Fight or Flight up for your Rage of Halone combos, and keeping Circle of Scorn up as well as Spirits Within. Spirits Within is something you do of course if there's no need to actually silence an enemy. You'd be surprised the difference starting a fight with Fight or Flight does for threat.

The gap shouldn't be significant enough that a DPS will have to hold to the point of deterrent in Crystal Tower.

And in regards to your theory, I doubt it. I run with pre-mades from my Free Company. If they had to hold DPS they'd give me shit about it in the name of humor. >_>;

Ken

The problem is that they can't barely keep hate (or they can't at all) when most DPS has iLvl 90 weapons. Is a problem I saw firsthand.

If the tank becomes a problem (and it's not DPS purposely ripping hate right off the bat) and creates a wipe then I'll let MT duties switch, but if someone is eager to try MTing I'm not going to say no. Kind of a jerk move to inspect and say "nope, you can't do this" before even giving it a shot in something silly and not really time-intensive like CT.

I hate youuuu.

Do you even have the accuracy to use it lol.

If the tank becomes a problem (and it's not DPS purposely ripping hate right off the bat) and creates a wipe then I'll let MT duties switch, but if someone is eager to try MTing I'm not going to say no. Kind of a jerk move to inspect and say "nope, you can't do this" before even giving it a shot in something silly and not really time-intensive like CT.

Well is not like I would say "DON'T MT" inmediatly, but if he becomes a problem, he himself should realize he can't keep tanking unless DPS give him enough room, which dosn't mean the alliance can't complete it, but holding your DPS as a DPS is not really fun, when part of the fun is to see how well you can do your rotation.

I have to say that I never asked a MT to stop tanking, althought I find it curious that better geared tanks are relegated to OT/Clickers duties, because someone claimed it without asking for anyone else opinion.

Keeping Fight or Flight up for your Rage of Halone combos, and keeping Circle of Scorn up as well as Spirits Within. Spirits Within is something you do of course if there's no need to actually silence an enemy. You'd be surprised the difference starting a fight with Fight or Flight does for threat.

The gap shouldn't be significant enough that a DPS will have to hold to the point of deterrent in Crystal Tower.

I mean those things are a given for a PLD. Is not like is rocket science. But what I mean is that with the standard PLD rotation (if we can even call it that) there's nothing you can do if the gap is big enough. I had to hold as DRG with a PLD with Ifrit weapon, and he was playing just fine.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Do you even have the accuracy to use it lol.

The want outweighs the need. :eek:

Ken

I have to say that I never asked a MT to stop tanking, althought I find it curious that better geared tanks are relegated to OT/Clickers duties, because someone claimed it without asking for anyone else opinion.

I like clicker duty. :eek:

And there's nothing wrong with holding DPS for a few seconds. :/ You can go get your big numbers to pop up later. Also it's less of a claim and more of a volunteer. People volunteer to be OT/MT all the time and I'm not going to go through a thorough examination of all the tanks' gear before concluding that one tank cannot do a certain role. I mean, what gives someone the right to delegate all the tanks to certain spots base on ilevel in the first place? Just have fun and if you wipe once it doesn't really matter; just fix it the next time or vote-kick. All I'm saying is just give people a chance to do what they want or like to do. They probably get enough jerks telling them to bail on stuff like AK or WP already.

Man they really took out quite a few mobs in Amdapor Keep now, it goes by quicker. Party claimed they had all done it before, yet the tank and the MNK kept eating Repel while standing on the sides and dying. Probably wiped at Demon Wall 5 times...darnit guys, just watch the cast bar!

Ken

Man, those new weapons look really awesome. WAR axe and MNK claws look soooo good!

Bow for this week:

Grats! I don't nearly have the accuracy needed to use the Elfin Bow for my first primal weapon but I might grab it later. I was planning on grabbing monk claws second but they look really cheesy and poor in execution so eh. Might grab the Holy Spear bad stats and all. Don't really care about any of the mage staves, the shields are unimpressive or make no sense, and the Breakblade looks like something dug out from the bottom of the ocean.

BadRNG

I mean those things are a given for a PLD. Is not like is rocket science. But what I mean is that with the standard PLD rotation (if we can even call it that) there's nothing you can do if the gap is big enough. I had to hold as DRG with a PLD with Ifrit weapon, and he was playing just fine.
It may not be rocket science, but I've seen plenty of PLDs incapable of doing it properly. So many don't use Spirits Within or CoS on cooldown, or ignore FoF. Not to mention the few I've seen who don't even combo, just spam RoH by itself.

On trash/aoe situations I can see it, but on a single target boss? Someone is messing up somewhere if threat is an issue. Especially with the ridiculous shield oath/defiance threat buffs. Note I still haven't bothered to try CT yet, so maybe there's a boss mechanic I'm missing that interferes with threat.

On a slightly related note I really wish they would spice up PLD's rotation a bit and add a proper second combo line. Even if it was only so I had something to do during fights with tank switching.

Talaysen

Duty Roulette doesn't seem very random. I've gotten Copperbell, Sastasha, and Ifrit every time.

Ifrit is okay, since it's 150k for about 5 minutes of derping.

I want some of the later dungeons so I get bonus XP and actually relevant (for my level) gear :(

It's not random.

It just puts you in one of the dungeons that needs another person. I guess a lot of people are doing early stuff.

Sophia

On a slightly related note I really wish they would spice up PLD's rotation a bit and add a proper second combo line. Even if it was only so I had something to do during fights with tank switching.

I wouldn't mind having some of those redundant cooldowns merged in favor of a third combo line. Like an AoE rotation that's not really a threat builder.

Pally cooldowns are booooring.

Did my first instance run tonight. That was easy to put together. A lot easier than back in the pre expansion days of WoW. Does it stay that easy thoughout the game?

Alucrid

Banned
It may not be rocket science, but I've seen plenty of PLDs incapable of doing it properly. So many don't use Spirits Within or CoS on cooldown, or ignore FoF. Not to mention the few I've seen who don't even combo, just spam RoH by itself.

On trash/aoe situations I can see it, but on a single target boss? Someone is messing up somewhere if threat is an issue. Especially with the ridiculous shield oath/defiance threat buffs. Note I still haven't bothered to try CT yet, so maybe there's a boss mechanic I'm missing that interferes with threat.

Not really. In fact threat shouldn't be an issue considering how often DPS should be breaking off to kill adds during pretty much all the fights.

Sophia

Did my first instance run tonight. That was easy to put together. A lot easier than back in the pre expansion days of WoW. Does it stay that easy thoughout the game?

Nah, it gets a lot harder. Not quite as hard as WoW.... However, the fights as a whole are more movement heavy than WoW's fights were. Probably because such fights are a natural fit for the gamepad.

Not really. In fact threat shouldn't be an issue considering how often DPS should be breaking off to kill adds during pretty much all the fights.

Yeah, Crystal Tower is add after add, so threat on the main boss isn't an issue anyhow. Yet nothing gets my fingers typing faster to kindly yell at someone then a DPS pulling the Iron Giant prematurely.

Alucrid

Banned

You can use the duty finder to get a group for most dungeons. There's two instanced bosses that are an exception, you'll have to find a group the old fashion way, and the highest raid content also requires you to have a premade group. SE did add a nice party finder feature however which makes them a bit easier to join, although beforehand it was just knowing what zone to be in to look.

Ken

This Thanatos fight would be a lot more interesting if Thanatos and the alliance that was invisible actually went invisible.

Zomba13

My tank gear is actually pretty good now. I'm kinda scared of going to CT next week. Might not get it easy and get to sit on the tower for KB.

CT is definitely more fun than I thought it would be. The music helps a lot too. My favorite part in the raid is doing the 3 maws simultaneously. That and the final boss.

Anyone else notice magic sucks on Thanatos? My festers crit for 1100-1200 on most mobs, but on him it only does like 500.

studyguy

CT tanking is the worst.
At this point I don't even say anything in multiparty fights and keep sword oath on because fuck it. Too often people like voke off of you and I've seen them wipe whole swaths of the alliance from fucking up positioning in multiple portions of the raid.

If someone has hate, just leave it there, no need to turn a dragon around so it craps all over the casters or direct a skeleton away from its intended target. You don't ever notice anything but tanks fighting in CT for hate and it's silly.

If someone has hate, just leave it there, no need to turn a dragon around so it craps all over the casters or direct a skeleton away from its intended target. You don't ever notice anything but tanks fighting in CT for hate and it's silly.

Last night was the first time I had ever seen this. Most of the raids I've been in agreed on a tank and the job was done properly without stupid aggro-bouncing.

last night we had a few people that were dicks and were deliberately trying to pull hate away from the designated MT

studyguy

Last night was the first time I had ever seen this. Most of the raids I've been in agreed on a tank and the job was done properly without stupid aggro-bouncing.

last night we had a few people that were dicks and were deliberately trying to pull hate away from the designated MT

Nothing like a tank repositioning a Valefor in the first area after stealing hate and pointing its butt at the casters on a platform so that they all wipe. Seen tanks pull hate off the larger bosses even after being established. There's a TON of this shit that always goes on in CT, most people just don't notice it since it isn't their job.

I'd rather DPS, but the party I'm in usually ends up with me being one of the tanks.

Ploid 3.0

Decided to log on to get the FFXIV daily tribe stuff out of the way and logged off with this. Now I really have to level DRG to 50 for the AF.

0SzNKJk.jpg

Ploid 3.0

The fastest for me was the fates. Apparently dungeons are faster now, especially with less people doing fates now, but I still don't care for them. I did it one time and got 100k at the end (random low level roulette). I'm still doing fates when I level.

zlatko

Banned
Started up a new character this weekend, but ran into some confusion.

What from FFXIV 1.0 carried over?

I tried to transfer my main and thought I'd get to retain my levels, but my level 30 Pugilist and all my crafts didn't come with it, nor any of the gil I had, etc. Just was able to carry over his looks and for whatever reason levle 7 marauder, which I think was the last thing I was leveling.

Is that was to carry over is the last class you had on the job going? Or am I doing something wrong?

Either way I said screw it and went onwards with my new lalfell arcanist who is now level 6.

I haven't looked yet, but are leves still there or is it fully replaced by the "WoW" quest system?

Will I be forced to level a craft in order to make any income in order to get properly geared or is it simply optional ?

Any crafting suggestions for an Arcanist-summoner main? Should my subjob be Arcanist for when I do become a SMN at level 30 ?

Thanks for any answers to my questions. :)

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I tried to transfer my main and thought I'd get to retain my levels, but my level 30 Pugilist and all my crafts didn't come with it, nor any of the gil I had, etc. Just was able to carry over his looks and for whatever reason levle 7 marauder, which I think was the last thing I was leveling.

Is that was to carry over is the last class you had on the job going? Or am I doing something wrong?

Either way I said screw it and went onwards with my new lalfell arcanist who is now level 6.

I haven't looked yet, but are leves still there or is it fully replaced by the "WoW" quest system?

Will I be forced to level a craft in order to make any income in order to get properly geared or is it simply optional ?

Any crafting suggestions for an Arcanist-summoner main? Should my subjob be Arcanist for when I do become a SMN at level 30 ?

Thanks for any answers to my questions. :)

Your legacy stuff is only carried over in a legacy server.

Leves still exist.

Crafting/gathering is completely optional.

zlatko

Banned
Your legacy stuff is only carried over in a legacy server.

Leves still exist.

Crafting/gathering is completely optional.

I went to Excalibur server which I believe is a Legacy server. I got my Asuran wrist guards and onion helm from the get go, but my level 30 Puglist and several crafts that were level 30 were not there. Why I have no clue as I only had two characters, and neither had level 30 PUG. Hmph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom