• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fastest for me was the fates. Apparently dungeons are faster now, especially with less people doing fates now, but I still don't care for them. I did it one time and got 100k at the end (random low level roulette). I'm still doing fates when I level.

Yeah I've hardly seen many people joining in on Fates unless there just happens to be a bunch of them nearby.

As for dungeons I haven't been keeping track of the exp gains but then again I just got to Haukke Manor.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Started up a new character this weekend, but ran into some confusion.

What from FFXIV 1.0 carried over?

I tried to transfer my main and thought I'd get to retain my levels, but my level 30 Pugilist and all my crafts didn't come with it, nor any of the gil I had, etc. Just was able to carry over his looks and for whatever reason levle 7 marauder, which I think was the last thing I was leveling.

Should be pretty much everything. Try and open a ticket, sounds like something went wrong. You are loading the right character/server, right?

I haven't looked yet, but are leves still there or is it fully replaced by the "WoW" quest system?

Still there. They're unlocked from level 10+ Aetheryte places, by doing a sidequest that involves, er, doing a leve (the sidequests are all called 'Leves of [placename]' so they're easy to spot). They've been buffed to being decent in the last patch, actually. A lot of stuff is locked behind the main story quests, so make sure to do those at least (they have the normal quest icon surrounded by fire).

Will I be forced to level a craft in order to make any income in order to get properly geared or is it simply optional ?

Optional. Crafting is kind of in a lull till the next patch anyway.

Any crafting suggestions for an Arcanist-summoner main? Should my subjob be Arcanist for when I do become a SMN at level 30 ?

Not sure if you played till the job patch in 1.0, but how jobs work is they give extra abilities to a base class- SMN changes ACN's pets and gives extra abilites, for example. However while in a job, you're limited in what other classes you can take abilities from (ARC and THM for SMN iirc), and to unlock SMN at 30 you need a level 15 THM in addition to a 30 ACN.

zlatko

Banned
Should be pretty much everything. Try and open a ticket, sounds like something went wrong. You are loading the right character/server, right?

Still there. They're unlocked from level 10+ Aetheryte places, by doing a sidequest that involves, er, doing a leve (the sidequests are all called 'Leves of [placename]' so they're easy to spot). They've been buffed to being decent in the last patch, actually. A lot of stuff is locked behind the main story quests, so make sure to do those at least (they have the normal quest icon surrounded by fire).

Optional. Crafting is kind of in a lull till the next patch anyway.

Not sure if you played till the job patch in 1.0, but how jobs work is they give extra abilities to a base class- SMN changes ACN's pets and gives extra abilites, for example. However while in a job, you're limited in what other classes you can take abilities from (ARC and THM for SMN iirc), and to unlock SMN at 30 you need a level 15 THM in addition to a 30 ACN.

THis is all very helpful.

I'll definitely get ARC to 30, then THM to 15.

As for what went wrong with the transfer I'll look closer at it tonight, but yeah losing all those crafts and other job levels made me quite sad, but I thought maybe they did that to not give people a big advantage for new game as my explanation to myself haha.

I'll get a ticket tonight if after messing around with my two characters I don't see what I need.

If my old character DID transfer I'd be well off as I'd not have to worry about crafts for a while, and I think THM might already be 15 which would be a big help.

Thanks! :)

Isaccard

Cleared Turn 4 with a pug last night, was pretty fun. Coil sure is exciting. :eek:

Odin spawned this morning at level 59 and we managed to get the kill and gold.

Good times

Valus

Are Warriors viable now for all content? Now that I'm done leveling all the crafters and gatherers I need a new class to level and I'm thinking about tanking. Warriors look way more fun and interesting than Paladins but I don't want to be locked out of any content just because I'm a Warrior. I know they were buffed with 2.1...was it enough?

I'm thinking about collecting the tank gear from CT and getting the EM axe with my main so that when I hit 50 with him he will be pretty decked out.

kaioshade

HM TITAN DEFEATED.

I finally beat that fat, stumpy rocky bastard.

Greatest feeling ever. That was an intense fight. First time, group wiped on Phase 5 due to a misdodged bomb. Second time we tore him apart. Feels good.

Mupod

Are Warriors viable now for all content? Now that I'm done leveling all the crafters and gatherers I need a new class to level and I'm thinking about tanking. Warriors look way more fun and interesting than Paladins but I don't want to be locked out of any content just because I'm a Warrior. I know they were buffed with 2.1...was it enough?

I'm thinking about collecting the tank gear from CT and getting the EM axe with my main so that when I hit 50 with him he will be pretty decked out.

I switched to WAR in 2.1. I haven't run into anything I can't handle as a warrior yet - I was worried about not having Hallowed Ground or Riot Blade for stuff like Turn 4 but I managed just fine on my warrior a few days ago. Some fights are easier with a paladin, but having both types of tanks present is far more beneficial for the majority of bosses.

Turn 2 used to be annoying but with PLD/WAR now it's pretty much this:

ibmWTBwM10q0cw.gif

Even if you're not the MT, Warriors can do more dps without worry of pulling aggro when in offtank mode and Steel Cyclone is the best thing ever for picking up newly spawned adds. Storm's Path and Storm's Eye both directly benefit paladins, likewise they have rage of halone and blind to help you out. There's lots of fights with tank swaps now so having both is a great benefit. Plus slightly faster limit break building.

As for what went wrong with the transfer I'll look closer at it tonight, but yeah losing all those crafts and other job levels made me quite sad, but I thought maybe they did that to not give people a big advantage for new game as my explanation to myself haha.
Characters from 1.0 are supposed to be intact. Something might have gone wrong. What they did to avoid getting an unfair advantage is they made a rule that any legacy character from 1.0 cannot transfer to the new worlds.

I haven't seen any complaints about Warriors after the patch, and a lot of people are levelling one now, myself included.

zlatko

Banned
Characters from 1.0 are supposed to be intact. Something might have gone wrong. What they did to avoid getting an unfair advantage is they made a rule that any legacy character from 1.0 cannot transfer to the new worlds.

I haven't seen any complaints about Warriors after the patch, and a lot of people are levelling one now, myself included.

I hope they can recover the stats then, and I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot when I went ahead and just changed the 1.0 appearance to make the fresh version I have with the levels missing.

Did I have to keep his appearance, then once in the game use that change appearance once "potion" item Fantasia or whatever it was ?

Somewhere I must have messed up the process I imagine.

I hope they can recover the stats then, and I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot when I went ahead and just changed the 1.0 appearance to make the fresh version I have with the levels missing.

Did I have to keep his appearance, then once in the game use that change appearance once "potion" item Fantasia or whatever it was ?

Somewhere I must have messed up the process I imagine.
No, if you had a character already there and was able to change the appearence before logging in, it was supposed to have the same stats and items you had before, regardless of name or appearence.

zlatko

Banned
No, if you had a character already there and was able to change the appearence before logging in, it was supposed to have the same stats and items you had before, regardless of name or appearence.

Blah then fingers crossed they can still recover it for me when I put in a ticket later.

Not sure if it's worth the hassle, aside from the craft levels, to get back the 30 PUG and few other odd jobs leveled, simply because I'm going entirely away from melee classes to mage/range classes.

Oh and since I had to play on a server that carries over 1.0 stuff, my question is can people still join these servers if they want and are fresh meat? I want my GF to play with me when PS4 version drops so she can play on that and I'll be on PC.

Noi

Rank 2 Dailies giving 10 Phil tomes instead of 5...

bueno.jpeg

Edit: Now I'm torn though. I can either split it between Sylph/Amalj'aa and get 60 tomes a day or pool them all on one (do both Rank 1 and 2 Dailies) and only get 45 but get to Rank 3 faster...

Oh and since I had to play on a server that carries over 1.0 stuff, my question is can people still join these servers if they want and are fresh meat? I want my GF to play with me when PS4 version drops so she can play on that and I'll be on PC.
New players can join legacy servers, it's just legacy characters that can't transfer to new servers.

zlatko

Banned
Yeah most players that have been around from the start, legacy or not, should be at or around the same point.

Ah so the leveling is a breeze that it's pointless even if I can't get my old characters levels back?

I may save myself the headache then of a ticket, etc. I had no plans to go the puglist/monk route anyway, and if crafting isn't necessary anymore, then meh I'll just stick with my current character I suppose.

RK9039

Yes, Warriors have been fixed from what I've played. It's still my main class, I have a Paladin also at max level which I leveled up when I realized that Warriors were bad at end game (Titan HM onwards).

Now they have everything they need to tank on the same level as a Paladin but they don't have anything as good as Hallowed Ground, Holmgang isn't really the same thing, and Warriors obviously can't block. The trick is to always have Storm's Path on the enemy you're tanking and using Inner Beast when you expect a big hit like Mountain Buster. Before 2.1 Inner Beast used to give a lot of health back, now it only gives 300-400 hp but gives us a 6 second mitigation buff which helps a lot when you stack everything else with it. Oh and Vengeance helps a lot as well and the Defiance/Wrath system is a lot better.

I think Paladins are still slightly better as a Main Tank, but the gap which was there between a Warrior and Paladin has been greatly closed. The animation for Overpower has been sped up and Steel Cyclone is actually useful now which means group tanking is even easier for Warriors.

edgefusion

I've been finding playing as a Monk really frustrating lately. SE seem to be developing this love affair with boss mobs that require you to run away and not come back until GL has dropped and your DPS is weak like babby. The second boss of Haukke HM, Siren and Garuda Ex are all punishing to a Monk because they're almost guaranteed to force you to drop GL multiple times.

I currently have Garuda ex in my quest log but I've pretty much given up on it as I feel like dead weight to the group. Monk has the potential to be the best single target DPS in the game but I hardly get the opportunity to achieve that. If SE are going to insist on these boss mechanics then they're going to need to reconsider the punishingly short lifespan on GL.

Ken

I switched to WAR in 2.1. I haven't run into anything I can't handle as a warrior yet - I was worried about not having Hallowed Ground or Riot Blade for stuff like Turn 4 but I managed just fine on my warrior a few days ago. Some fights are easier with a paladin, but having both types of tanks present is far more beneficial for the majority of bosses.

Turn 2 used to be annoying but with PLD/WAR now it's pretty much this:

Even if you're not the MT, Warriors can do more dps without worry of pulling aggro when in offtank mode and Steel Cyclone is the best thing ever for picking up newly spawned adds. Storm's Path and Storm's Eye both directly benefit paladins, likewise they have rage of halone and blind to help you out. There's lots of fights with tank swaps now so having both is a great benefit. Plus slightly faster limit break building.

Tempered Will and Hallowed Ground are glorious to have on Titan EM and the latter still trumps that garbage skill Holmgang.

I currently have Garuda ex in my quest log but I've pretty much given up on it as I feel like dead weight to the group.

If that's how you feel about it then I guess that's that. Personally I never felt melee to be dead weight in the fight and wouldn't ever exclude or kick someone for being one; that's the scrubby pug way of dealing with stuff.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Tempered Will and Hallowed Ground are glorious to have on Titan EM and the latter still trumps that garbage skill Holmgang.

If that's how you feel about it then I guess that's that. Personally I never felt melee to be dead weight in the fight and wouldn't ever exclude or kick someone for being one; that's the scrubby pug way of dealing with stuff.

Wish more people felt that way.

Even a member in our own coil group was refusing to invite melee dps to the Garuda EM farm.

But oh well, Just have to keep raising my tank in hopes I can be more viable to a party with that.

studyguy

They've done a fantastic job at making Tempered Will actually useful in the new content. Prior to this patch, TW never felt necessary, could count on one hand the number of times where it could be used, but even then it was like eh... Now the EM primals have a bunch of nice uses for it.

edgefusion

Wish more people felt that way.

Even a member in our own coil group was refusing to invite melee dps to the Garuda EM farm.

But oh well, Just have to keep raising my tank in hopes I can be more viable to a party with that.

It sucks that people get excluded, while it's certainly not something I'd ever do it's hard to blame the guy when SE is weighting fights to be in favour of ranged dps and actively restricting Monk dps output.

centracore

As a BLM with Relic +1 (or I guess Relic Zenith now) and full Darklight gear, is there an order of how I spend my Mythology Tomes on gear to get the best bang for my buck?

I got Qarn yesterday.

I got Qarn the other day as well. It's a really fun dungeon that I enjoy replaying.

They've done a fantastic job at making Tempered Will actually useful in the new content. Prior to this patch, TW never felt necessary, could count on one hand the number of times where it could be used, but even then it was like eh... Now the EM primals have a bunch of nice uses for it.

I've perceived only a few opportunities to use Tempered Will so far, but it has come in handy when an attack like bad breath catches me off-guard so I can quickly remove the heavy effect. Like you said, I imagine it would be useful for primal battles, though I have yet to face one since defeating Ifrit.

Now they have everything they need to tank on the same level as a Paladin but they don't have anything as good as Hallowed Ground, Holmgang isn't really the same thing, and Warriors obviously can't block. The trick is to always have Storm's Path on the enemy you're tanking and using Inner Beast when you expect a big hit like Mountain Buster. Before 2.1 Inner Beast used to give a lot of health back, now it only gives 300-400 hp but gives us a 6 second mitigation buff which helps a lot when you stack everything else with it. Oh and Vengeance helps a lot as well and the Defiance/Wrath system is a lot better.

I think Paladins are still slightly better as a Main Tank, but the gap which was there between a Warrior and Paladin has been greatly closed. The animation for Overpower has been sped up and Steel Cyclone is actually useful now which means group tanking is even easier for Warriors.

Very interesting. Since I've been playing exclusively as a Paladin, I like reading about the other classes and their fighting styles. Despite both of them being tanks, Warriors sound quite different compared to Paladins.

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
Anyone know a better way to target people with a controller. The d-pad never targets the person I want. Any way to change it? Other then that using the controller is so comfortable.

studyguy

Very interesting. Since I've been playing exclusively as a Paladin, I like reading about the other classes and their fighting styles. Despite both of them being tanks, Warriors sound quite different compared to Paladins.

The real difference I see with WAR is all their CD's are basically Sentinel. You have to know when the damage is coming because your CDs generally aren't long enough to keep a sustained attack. It feels dynamic, but generally as RK said, you pop your combo preemptively and just treat it like a CD. The only thing is it keeps you busy in other ways so that you're always pulling a combo that fits the situation, your CDs are short, but the avenues for mitigation always feel open and flexible.

PLDs can mistime or shoot their CD too early and suddenly get walloped though so it isn't exactly exclusive. Both classes have to at least know a tough fight to a degree.

jorgeton

Anyone know a better way to target people with a controller. The d-pad never targets the person I want. Any way to change it? Other then that using the controller is so comfortable.

On PS3 I hit L1 while I'm holding one of the triggers down and it auto locks the target closest to me that I'm facing. Works well as I'm a monk.

For random people who aren't in your party? Nope you're screwed.

Party members on the other hand, just hit up/down on the D-Pad. Enemies can be toggled with trigger + bumper (example: Hold RT and press LB or RB), and NPCs are usually prioritized by the game.

Nohar

I feel like the low level duty roulette only goes up to Halatali.

I got Sastasha nearly everytime I used it. Needless to say, I'm becoming quite annoyed with that dungeon.

Still trying to learn how to play Scholar here... with a XBOX 360 controller. It's... not quite as hard as I thought, but I'm still far from being good enough at this job (thanksfully, I have 19 more levels ahead of me to learn of to play it properly).

Ploid 3.0

For random people who aren't in your party? Nope you're screwed.

Party members on the other hand, just hit up/down on the D-Pad. Enemies can be toggled with trigger + bumper (example: Hold RT and press LB or RB), and NPCs are usually prioritized by the game.

You can select target groups (Enemy, party, friendly, all). Friendly makes it easier to target people outside your party. L1 + Square by default, but you may have to enable the group targeting in character target setting menu. When it's set up just press the left or right dpad until you find the target. So when you have it to this point you can do the shoulder buttons target tabbing.

Going through praetorium and getting locked out of boss fights because my ps3 can't keep up and skip cutscenes fast enough.

No one on the party seems to give a shit

Ken

Going through praetorium and getting locked out of boss fights because my ps3 can't keep up and skip cutscenes fast enough.

No one on the party seems to give a shit

My last two Main Scenario roulettes have been in Prae and people were pretty nice about waiting for cutscenes. Ask in the FC and I'm sure people will help out if DF really doesn't work out.

Clipse

Really hope tonight's network maintenance fixes the frequent lag spikes and rubber banding I've been getting for the past week or so. I don't remember having this issue at all back on Malboro and my friend who just transferred over to Ultros has noticed the lag as well.

So it seems I'm entering a pattern. Get my 400 tomes through roulette each day until I get all darklight.

After that, should I pursue all these main story quests that come after the finale or focus just on completing my relic chain? That's going to require some hand/land job grinding in order to set materia it seems but its my impression so far I need to get that done to be considered for groups.

What do you guys reccomend for an end game path? Is there a guide you followed?

So it seems I'm entering a pattern. Get my 400 tomes through roulette each day until I get all darklight.

After that, should I pursue all these main story quests that come after the finale or focus just on completing my relic chain? That's going to require some hand/land job grinding in order to set materia it seems but its my impression so far I need to get that done to be considered for groups.

What do you guys reccomend for an end game path? I'd there a guide you followed?

Get some gear from the new dungeons first, that should be good enough while you get DL equipment. Remember to run CT a week to get your tank drop for the week, that equipment is better than DL in all honesty. A lot of these new fights require your item level to be a certain level so you have to get your gear up. Starting on your relic quest first isn't a bad idea though.

Alucrid

Banned
Oh man, getting 400 philo pre-2.1 a day was a challenge lol.

i capped that shit out in a day with CT

it was a sad day

Really hope tonight's network maintenance fixes the frequent lag spikes and rubber banding I've been getting for the past week or so. I don't remember having this issue at all back on Malboro and my friend who just transferred over to Ultros has noticed the lag as well.

wonder if it's just christmas time off and new players just causing some congestion. hope it dies down next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom