• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
042363.png

still hasn't happened. maybe this week

Hey neat, I got one of those yesterday!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
What's the best way to level CNJ without the aid of story quests? The XP you get from leves is a joke at Lv. 7, and finding low-level FATE parties is nearly impossible. Getting PUG up to 20 as my second class wasn't hard at all, but I'm at a bit of a loss here with CNJ.

So I got that Acer Aspire V3 772g-9460 a few days ago. Man it's gonna be hard to play the ps3 version again. The settings on high(laptop) even blow the ps3 version away. I'll still play both though.

jorgeton

So I got that Acer Aspire V3 772g-9460 a few days ago. Man it's gonna be hard to play the ps3 version again. The settings on high(laptop) even blow the ps3 version away. I'll still play both though.

Nice. I can't wait til it hits ps4... Only reason I'm picking one up in the next couple of months.

Sophia

What's the best way to level CNJ without the aid of story quests? The XP you get from leves is a joke at Lv. 7, and finding low-level FATE parties is nearly impossible. Getting PUG up to 20 as my second class wasn't hard at all, but I'm at a bit of a loss here with CNJ.

Do some battleleves. At that level they're 1/3rd to a half of a level of XP.

Get some gear from the new dungeons first, that should be good enough while you get DL equipment. Remember to run CT a week to get your tank drop for the week, that equipment is better than DL in all honesty. A lot of these new fights require your item level to be a certain level so you have to get your gear up. Starting on your relic quest first isn't a bad idea though.

I'm only ilvl 52 right now. Can I handle CT?

I still haven't unlocked it in the duty finder. What quest line do I need to do to get it. The main scenario stuff? I'm at the point of doing quests for the people at mor dhona before the scions move there. Am I far?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Do some battleleves. At that level they're 1/3rd to a half of a level of XP.

Really? The Lv. 5 leves seem to be worth ~680 XP and the Lv. 10 leves are worth around ~1300, but I don't really feel like I'll be able to do the Lv. 10 ones at Lv. 7. Maybe when I was an ARC or PUG, yeah, but not as a WHM.

Ploid 3.0

Raging, Swiftcast, Surecast, are what I use. I never thought about using quelling. Since lightning nerf I just put in surecast. I suppose quelling would be good for low man or fights where you open taking hate from your pet solo? Dots, ruins, and fester don't seem like things that would cause you to take hate like a blm or ranger. Surecast is so situational and when you need it to work you'd get interrupted anyway probably.

Sophia

Really? The Lv. 5 leves seem to be worth ~680 XP and the Lv. 10 leves are worth around ~1300, but I don't really feel like I'll be able to do the Lv. 10 ones at Lv. 7. Maybe when I was an ARC or PUG, yeah, but not as a WHM.

You get a significant bonus both for difficulty and speed. As long as you're getting them done in five minutes, the Level 5 ones should level you past that pretty fast.

Ken

Raging, Swiftcast, Surecast, are what I use. I never thought about using quelling. Since lightning nerf I just put in surecast. I suppose quelling would be good for low man or fights where you open taking hate from your pet solo? Dots, ruins, and fester don't seem like things that would cause you to take hate like a blm or ranger. Surecast is so situational and when you need it to work you'd get interrupted anyway probably.

It's more of a "I have 5 slots so might as well put them in" kinda situation with SMNs it seems.

What cross-class skill do SMNs use? I have Raging, Quelling, Swift, Sure, and...Hawk's Eye lol.

Raging Strikes and Swiftcast. Quelling strikes can be useful once in a blue moon but you are fine without it.

Infantry shirt and Acolyte robe+skirt are the best looking dungeon gear out there. Infantry shirt looks like something Amano would draw.

You can select target groups (Enemy, party, friendly, all). Friendly makes it easier to target people outside your party. L1 + Square by default, but you may have to enable the group targeting in character target setting menu. When it's set up just press the left or right dpad until you find the target. So when you have it to this point you can do the shoulder buttons target tabbing.

Yeah I know about the filtering with L1/LB, but if it's say a big raid or FATE or something that's still not gonna make random targets that efficient.

Even though I play gamepad only, mouse is straight up better if you need to specifically click one player and it's not a party member.

I'm only ilvl 52 right now. Can I handle CT?

I still haven't unlocked it in the duty finder. What quest line do I need to do to get it. The main scenario stuff? I'm at the point of doing quests for the people at mor dhona before the scions move there. Am I far?

It will be tough, you may need a little more gear. A lot of dps running CT have vastly better gear then you.

The quest for CT starts in Mor Dhona but it makes you do 4 FATE's...which most people have done but if you're lucky, there will be some people there to help. I had only a few people to help with for those FATE's today but we powered through them.

Sophia

The best way to do Crystal Tower when your item level is low is to simply run with a full Free Company group. If you're all in Mumble you can easily communicate and work around any flaws. That's how I did it with my Free Company, and it worked fine.

It will be tough, you may need a little more gear. A lot of dps running CT have vastly better gear then you.

The quest for CT starts in Mor Dhona but it makes you do 4 FATE's...which most people have done but if you're lucky, there will be some people there to help. I had only a few people to help with for those FATE's today but we powered through them.
Thankfully you don't need help anymore after they added dynamic difficulty to the FATE system.

How viable is SMN in endgame content like EX primal fights or Coil? I know people prefer BLM and other jobs who can dish out burst damage very quickly. I do try to keep all of my dots up, along with SF, boosting them with Raging Strikes and Contagion when I can, while using Spur and Rouse on my pet. It just still doesn't seem enough and I wonder if i should roll something else.

Ken

How viable is SMN in endgame content like EX primal fights or Coil? I know people prefer BLM and other jobs who can dish out burst damage very quickly. I do try to keep all of my dots up, along with SF, boosting them with Raging Strikes and Contagion when I can, while using Spur and Rouse on my pet. It just still doesn't seem enough and I wonder if i should roll something else.

Both my Titan kills had a SMN. I wouldn't worry about it. Oh, even my Ifrit win had one as well.

Resilient

Can't wait for Monday. Going to get myth tomes capped super fast so I can buy my myth pants.

I'm away and will have to cap myth next week within a 24 hour window. Really not looking forward to it lol but I want the Sorcerors Potatos hat or whatever it is for BLM.

Garland7G

Just dl this off psn, any tips while its patching? I'm thinking of going for a pali since I read they get into groups faster. Is tanking with them 'fun'?

The Heavensturn event will be up on tuesday!

Yes! I missed out on the older hats, so now it's time to score.

Just dl this off psn, any tips while its patching? I'm thinking of going for a pali since I read they get into groups faster. Is tanking with them 'fun'?

I think it's fun although it's rather derivative of similar sword/shield tanks from other MMORPGs. Eventually, I capped my PLD and leveled up my WAR, which was more fun to me in that it felt like a very unique style of tank (HP drain, HP increase, buff/debuff rotation).

SirGold

Neo Member
Not really sure how to go about doing this but could I get an invite to the FC on Ultros?
Just unlocked BRD and digging the game so far. (player name Scott Calvin)

Not really sure how to go about doing this but could I get an invite to the FC on Ultros?
Just unlocked BRD and digging the game so far. (player name Scott Calvin)

Sign up at neogaf.guildwork.com and submit an application. Once you have done that, you will need to send a /tell to one of the officers or leaders when you are in-game for an invite. Their names are listed on the recruitment page and in the members forum.

SirGold

Neo Member
Sign up at neogaf.guildwork.com and submit an application. Once you have done that, you will need to send a /tell to one of the officers or leaders when you are in-game for an invite. Their names are listed on the recruitment page and in the members forum.

Cool, thank you!

Sdoots

Hey guys,

I just started playing recently, was hoping you all could point me in the right direction on something.

I'm at the point where I can now leave my starting area and go to two other cities, the one where the Maelstrom captain is, or the desert one. Can't recall the names at the moment. I'm a Lancer, so I started at Gridania.

At level 15, feel like I've done nearly everything I can do in the area here, and kind of want to just get the fuck out of the forest. Where specifically would be a good place for me to check out, or should I deal with it and hang around here more?

Hey guys,

I just started playing recently, was hoping you all could point me in the right direction on something.

I'm at the point where I can now leave my starting area and go to two other cities, the one where the Maelstrom captain is, or the desert one. Can't recall the names at the moment. I'm a Lancer, so I started at Gridania.

At level 15, feel like I've done nearly everything I can do in the area here, and kind of want to just get the fuck out of the forest. Where specifically would be a good place for me to check out, or should I deal with it and hang around here more?

Head to Aleport in Western La Noscea or Camp Drybone in Eastern Thanalan. Both areas have Battle Leves + FATEs for level 15+. Since it's your first character you should be able to find little pockets of quest in those area also.

Valus

Hey guys,

The best thing to do is to take an airship and get out. Continue with the story. If you travel by land it'll take a long while and might you get killed, especially since you don't have a mount yet. If you want to wander/adventure around I suggest you at least wait until you get your Chocobo mount, which will come around level 24 or so if you do all quests/sidequests you see.

Hey guys,

Continue the story. It will take you to all three cities to visit each Grand Company office. Check out the sights while you're there. There are quests and more for 15+ in all three cities and once you visit all three for the Grand Company quest, you will get access to the first dungeon, followed by several more. Keep up with your Hunting Log and do FATEs while you're out and about for extra XP and seals.

Zalasta

Does the Duty Roulette actually try to put you in a party of appropriate level players that needed the dungeon or just anybody in the queue? Because I've ran the beginning ones with 3 other people on a 45-50 job, and that is kind of lame.

Anybody in the GAF guild wants to do treasure hunts? I am stuck with 3 Peisteskin maps and have no more place to put a 4th one, might just sell them if there is no interest.

EDIT: To be honest, I would say I hate being stuck in a party with people that's there because of Duty Roulette, especially main scenario quests. More often than not they act as if their time is more valuable, always rushing and trying to skip things, which result in screw ups. I know the whole idea of the roulette is to fill spots that are needed, but it also increases the opportunities of getting jerks who is just there for the quick tomes.

Does the Duty Roulette actually try to put you in a party of appropriate level players that needed the dungeon or just anybody in the queue? Because I've ran the beginning ones with 3 other people on a 45-50 job, and that is kind of lame.

Anybody in the queue.

Those high levels are doing it for the bonuses. Their levels (and yours) get reduced to the top end of the level range for the dungeon, so I don't see how it makes it "lame" compared to doing it with first timers.

Their gear is scaled down too, after all.

Valus

Anybody in the GAF guild wants to do treasure hunts? I am stuck with 3 Peisteskin maps and have no more place to put a 4th one, might just sell them if there is no interest.

EDIT: To be honest, I would say I hate being stuck in a party with people that's there because of Duty Roulette, especially main scenario quests. More often than not they act as if their time is more valuable, always rushing and trying to skip things, which result in screw ups. I know the whole idea of the roulette is to fill spots that are needed, but it also increases the opportunities of getting jerks who is just there for the quick tomes.

It's true, unfortunately. But it's better than waiting an hour (as a dps) for the queue, so while not perfect it's a step in the right direction, imo. And personally when I'm running lower dungeons I try to be extra nice for dem commendations, and I'm sure others are as well. So it can't be all that bad!

And hey just a tip for the maps -> you can actually have four on you. Use the one in your inventory so the actual map is sitting in your key items, then stick one on each retainer and keep a fourth on your person!

Tabris

Honestly, I love the new dynamic with Duty Roulette as it always means there's someone that has experience with the dungeon and can give you pointers.

And almost everyone has been friendly. I just politely tell them I'm a newbie and would love boss strat or chest popping pointers. And then I return the favour when I run the dungeon by pointing out the boss strat / chest popping pointers.

Shouta

What cross-class skill do SMNs use? I have Raging, Quelling, Swift, Sure, and...Hawk's Eye lol.

As pointed out, Swift and Raging are all you need. Surecast and Quelling Strikes are pretty situational like Surecast + Resurrection when Swiftcast is down. Hawk's Eye is junk.

Anyway, I'm 4/5 AF+1 now and I have the CT monk eyepiece in the last body slot. Just another two weeks or until I'm totally filled up on that front. I can then do some of the bosses for accessories if I want. =o

Anybody in the queue.

Those high levels are doing it for the bonuses. Their levels (and yours) get reduced to the top end of the level range for the dungeon, so I don't see how it makes it "lame" compared to doing it with first timers.

Their gear is scaled down too, after all.

It's especially lame when you are ALL level 50 players though. I mean, none of us need it, why even select that dungeon for us to do? Maybe that only happens with "join party in progress" groups, but it's still annoying.

It's especially lame when you are ALL level 50 players though. I mean, none of us need it, why even select that dungeon for us to do? Maybe that only happens with "join party in progress" groups, but it's still annoying.

As long as high level players can select low level roulette, there's a chance that will happen. Most of the time I get low level roulette groups it's actually people that need it, even if it's for an alternate job or something.

Tabris

As long as high level players can select low level roulette, there's a chance that will happen. Most of the time I get low level roulette groups it's actually people that need it, even if it's for an alternate job or something.

And it's much appreciated! Thank you.

PowerTaxi

Banned
I've seem to have the worst luck. People in FCs that I play with either leave the FC or stop playing. Every fucking time.

I should probably look into changing servers.

Valus

I've seem to have the worst luck. People in FCs that I play with either leave the FC or stop playing. Every fucking time.

I should probably look into changing servers.

Come to Midgardsomr! I'm an officer in a medium sized & very active guild and would be happy to have you. :D Or if you want to join a massive FC you can just transfer to Ultros, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom